Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CharlestonJew posted:

I never found that guy until the very end, I didnt think he existed before then

He's just standing around like any other NPC, very easy to overlook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I am curious how that affects the postgame quest in the excavation site, where normally you find that guy dead in a locked house.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just got back to the slave camp since the beginning of the game, grabbed the slave owner with the staff that controls pawns and slammed his skull into a brick wall and then killed all the other guards. no one reacted at all besides the non-guard NPCs all doing their scared routine for a bit. I feel like "do something about the slaver camp where the game started and kill the big rear end in a top hat with the staff" was something we'd sort of been building up to this whole time, but no, the camp and the guy are all just sort of "there" and this doesn't seem to be acknowledged at all.

the colossus was a pretty rad setpiece except it just, ends? the last weak point appeared to be invincible until it got far enough, but then it just suddenly popped and died. all the NPCs fighting it with you have next to no reaction and immediately revert to their default guard lines, and nobody I've talked to on volcanic island or bakbattahl has said a word about it. it's probably the most interesting thing any of them have seen in their lives and no one remembers it. this world is just so hollow, man

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Reached credits and overall it felt really flat and underbaked. Giant golem and dragon were more janky/annoying than entertaining/challenging. I'm in unmoored world though (after looking up what I was supposed to do once I was sent back to the dragonflight because I was completely clueless), so I still have more to do and see. But the whole volcanic island bit felt super rushed. I must have missed a ton of things because I never met Disa and am still unclear as to why I kept being pushed by the quest log to craft and bring Phaesus the ultimate item he apparently needed but didn't actually need and in fact he wasn't happy to see me. Was expecting some story beats addressing that but no: dragon fight and credits.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Weird! I definitely gave her a beetle

I don't think I received any beetles within the past few days, but both parties need to have rested for some changes to register.

If it turns out the game screwed us out of a beetle I will file a case before the European Court of Justice

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:thunk: i sent it the day before yesterday and I've rested a bunch since then. Hmm.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Owl Inspector posted:

this world is just so hollow, man

Yeah. It just feels soulless, sterile, ultimately shallow. It's fun just wandering the countryside, camping, killing things in a variety of ways, but if you want to engage this game in terms of story or characters or any sense that this is a real world real people live in, the cracks show immediately.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 12, 2024

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Another note on how the main quest goes

I don't really know why the Pathfinder helps us create the empowered godsbane blade. We don't need it to access the Volcanic Island, and the only thing we use it for is to sudoku ourselves during the dragon fight and gently caress up his plans

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

CharlestonJew posted:

Another note on how the main quest goes

I don't really know why the Pathfinder helps us create the empowered godsbane blade. We don't need it to access the Volcanic Island, and the only thing we use it for is to sudoku ourselves during the dragon fight and gently caress up his plans

Well it's also a remote control for 2 lifts and a door, so there's that I guess?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the deal with the "Load the Last Inn Save" option?
I see a whole lot of people claim that that option doesn't work, destroys their saves, kills their dog and pisses into their cereal, but I haven't used it a single time so I don't know how true that is myself.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've used it a bunch of times and it's fine. I haven't gotten to post-game yet but I've heard the way saves work there is different somehow and people have used it and lost more progress than they expected so I can't speak to that personally, but otherwise it does what it says on the tin. It does immediately replace your non-inn save when you load it though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh, so it's yet another case of people complaining about made up bullshit? Gotcha.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Your own house counts as an inn save fyi

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
They designed the game bad on purpose, as a joke.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Oh, so it's yet another case of people complaining about made up bullshit? Gotcha.

It's because the average gamer can't read 2 full sentences when the game tells you how it works.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

What's the deal with the "Load the Last Inn Save" option?
I see a whole lot of people claim that that option doesn't work, destroys their saves, kills their dog and pisses into their cereal, but I haven't used it a single time so I don't know how true that is myself.

people not understanding having a hard save somewhere as opposed to a quicksave or autosave

i suppose growing up in the generation of games where you can only hard save at priests in a church maybe makes this distinction easier

Sloober fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 12, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

It's because the average gamer can't read 2 full sentences when the game tells you how it works.

Clearly.
The game forces the Dragonsplague tutorial on you constantly, telling you exactly what to look out for and what to do about it, and apparently people don't bother paying any attention to it and then go online and scream about it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Always worked as expected for me, and yeah, inn/house both work. I (ab)used it for free retries (bar the ferrystone fee) at the second Sphinx location amongst other things.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I reloaded my inn save at the slave camp after killing the guards since it didn’t change anything and it opened the possibility of breaking some later quest. the inn save loaded with the innkeeper (and only him) already doing the panic and cower routine, running around outside in a panic as if a fight was happening while no one else cared. I’ve seen things be slightly off after reloading non-inn saves too, like downed pawns appearing in a different place than they were when the save happened. haven’t seen anything very impactful yet but there’s signs that there’s something wrong with how they’re serializing the save data or restoring it.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Can anyone recommend some mods to make their NG+ more challenging? Thought about waiting for the devs to add higher difficulties but I’m still kinda hooked on this game. Also on quests that you haven’t finished on the first playthrough, do you retain the quest items on Ng+? I was in the middle of collecting books for the sorc and mage meister skills.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you want challenge specifically, you might be better placed to use HP/Damage customisers on a NG0, rather than NG+.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mang Tomas posted:

Can anyone recommend some mods to make their NG+ more challenging? Thought about waiting for the devs to add higher difficulties but I’m still kinda hooked on this game. Also on quests that you haven’t finished on the first playthrough, do you retain the quest items on Ng+? I was in the middle of collecting books for the sorc and mage meister skills.

This set of mods:
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/users/3278079?tab=user+files

and/or

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/195

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You can chuck the slave owner from the intro into molten lava on the volcano island at least.

There are no penalties to doing so.

I mean, (endgame) he offs himself anyway, if you kill him early does that prevent you from doing the excavation site evacuation?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I mean, (endgame) he offs himself anyway, if you kill him early does that prevent you from doing the excavation site evacuation?
Yeah you need his godsway

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mang Tomas posted:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you want challenge specifically, you might be better placed to use HP/Damage customisers on a NG0, rather than NG+.

Honestly, limiting yourself to skills that unlock at rank 4, 5 tops seems like it would be a more brutal challenge than HP or defense adjust mods.

Sorcerer Flare unlocks at 6. Mage Halidom upgrade so it can cure poison isn't for sale until 6. Archer whirling shot isn't until 6. Just long string of "Oh, suddenly this class is FUN" at 6.

Meanwhile, in accidental challenge mode idiot land. "Why is this dragon taking so long?! I have over 500-550 strength/magic, my warrior has a cool lightning greathammer-Oh right I'm trying to fight it with a backfilled rank 4/4 Sorcerer/Warrior combo for my arisen and main pawn, along with generic mage and fighter hires" Carving off 1/6 of a health bar per high frigor when a dragon falls down would be a lot more impressive if they did not have like, seven health bars to give them more chances to trigger a last second failure spiral.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

homeless snail posted:

Do you? I never found him.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do you? I never found him.

I mean you could just let the pawns die I guess

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I threw him in the lava before the end of the game and this item was where it should be in post game. The dialogue actually just played as though I'd not melted him.

Thundarr posted:

Not for me, went without a hitch. Granted maybe I had a fortunate quest progression bug knowing this janky game.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kild posted:

Feels like rescuing them should be at the bottom of your list, since the game repeatedly says death isn't real to them and just pops them back into traveling to different worlds and even offers up casually murdering your pawn and bringing them back as a way to avoid them getting too sassy and murdering a city or two.

Like just let the quarry die and take them on a spa day after you save the world and I think all would be more than forgiven

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kild posted:

They’re pawns. I just hired them two at a time and got them to safety.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:thunk: i sent it the day before yesterday and I've rested a bunch since then. Hmm.

Maybe I'm just not remembering properly. In any case, thank you very much :tipshat:

I'm getting tantalizingly close to that cap, I can feel it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't even know you could evacuate the quarry. For me it was just the camp. (which was done with getting the blacksmith and his wife and the wayfarer maister)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why is there an option to "dragonforge" a class, and why is it hidden away in NG+ when any and all challenge is long over

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Owl Inspector posted:

I reloaded my inn save at the slave camp after killing the guards since it didn’t change anything and it opened the possibility of breaking some later quest. the inn save loaded with the innkeeper (and only him) already doing the panic and cower routine, running around outside in a panic as if a fight was happening while no one else cared. I’ve seen things be slightly off after reloading non-inn saves too, like downed pawns appearing in a different place than they were when the save happened. haven’t seen anything very impactful yet but there’s signs that there’s something wrong with how they’re serializing the save data or restoring it.

They remember even though the world reverts. The NPCs live in a Hell of YOUR making

I would absolutely avoid the Mavorus set of mods, his methods of enhancing difficulty are VERY hacky and can get you trapped between a save that crashes cause it decided to load up too many enemies all at once and loading your last inn visit to uninstall the mod to stop the crashes.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 12, 2024

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Why is there an option to "dragonforge" a class, and why is it hidden away in NG+ when any and all challenge is long over

Feels like hard mode was going to be a thing but then they pushed it ahead of april's new finance year so it didn't make it in

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'd anticipate a proper NG+ in upcoming DLC or a major patch, yeah. there's enough threads in the game as is to point towards them having planned something and then having had to drop it suddenly

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hard mode was something that was patched in later with DD1 as well so they probably just don't see it as a big priority

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Having just wrapped up a NG+ run where I cleaned up everything I missed the first go around, the ending credits song still really get me. It's just so perfectly melancholic and when combined with the overall thematic thrust of the game and the ending sequence showing a bunch of the people you met moving forward in a world now truly free of the cycle. I don't know, feels really emotionally resonant to me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hard mode was something that was patched in later with DD1 as well so they probably just don't see it as a big priority

The expectation/hope for future harder content is why I'm sticking with my character instead of creating a new one or something. I kind of lucked out with making both her and my pawn's appearance exactly how I want it, so I don't want to risk loving that up and not being able to remember how I pulled it off (since I actually did do some stuff with sliders, particularly with my pawn).

It's funny how much the appearance thing matters, at least to me. It's nice having the character look good in cutscenes. The same thing was even more true for FF14 due to the number of cutscenes; it *really* bothered me having a character who felt "wrong" until I came across an appearance I liked (which amusingly ended up being nearly identical to the appearance of one of the characters from the Endwalker raid quests*).

* https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Athena (literally the same face and hair style - and sometimes hair color, though I change that up sometimes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ohhhh so THAT'S what all the ballistas on the volcanic island are for. Sure was prescient of them to put them every six feet. Would've been cheaper to have one guy who can cast maelstrom sit about, but maybe that's why I'm just some random adventurer rather than the king of Battahl.

anyway:

whatcha doing up there jj? i admire the enthusiasm but i'm not sure you've through this through.