Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

watho posted:

i think they instead should have adapted fallout new vegas with mark wahlberg as the courier and mila kunis as mr house

:hmmyes:

What's Michael Bay doing at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tango alpha delta posted:

All you need to do is wait for the inevitable Family Guy Fallout episode.

This is worse than that time I killed those talking deathclaws

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

lol, im starting to think you haven’t actually watched the show because it absolutely nails the Fallout 3/4 vibe.

I don't think you understood what I meant. What I'm talking about is the sense of geographical space and of experiencing a journey. There's no sense of where places relate to each other, nor of the time and harships encountered while traveling, only a bunch of panning shots before the plot contrives another meeting between the principal cast members.

It's more last season of Game of Thrones than a Bethesda title in that way. But, as I said, there's a lot of the same *iconography* and designs, yes, the prop department nailed it and even included the Fallout 1 10mm gun, which was cool.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

This is just like that time I performed brain surgery on Julius Caesar!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh god why did I decide to put Seth MacFarlane brain in rex, there was so many other options!

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think you understood what I meant. What I'm talking about is the sense of geographical space and of experiencing a journey. There's no sense of where places relate to each other, nor of the time and harships encountered while traveling, only a bunch of panning shots before the plot contrives another meeting between the principal cast members.

It's more last season of Game of Thrones than a Bethesda title in that way. But, as I said, there's a lot of the same *iconography* and designs, yes, the prop department nailed it and even included the Fallout 1 10mm gun, which was cool.

It's lore accurate to Fallout 1 and 2 where travelling from Shady Sands to boneyard took 30 seconds IRL and is dependent on your framerate

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Oh god why did I decide to put Seth MacFarlane brain in rex, their was so many other options!

This is cruel and unusual punishment for Rex.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dr_rat posted:

Oh god why did I decide to put Seth MacFarlane brain in rex, there was so many other options!

Great, now he won't stop barking out showtunes

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

esquilax posted:

It's lore accurate to Fallout 1 and 2 where travelling from Shady Sands to boneyard took 30 seconds IRL and is dependent on your framerate

There was even the occasional random encounter!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Walking, or exploring is a huge part of the games but it doesn’t really translate well to a tv show.

And lol at comparing it to season 8.

You can actually tell what’s happening in every single shot in Fallout, unlike whatever the hell the last season of GOT was.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, we've had a very recent example of a TV show based on a videogame property that managed to convey a sense of place and journey and the passage of time quite well (The Last of Us), so I'm not persuaded that the production team simply hit the limits of the medium. Besides, if you take out Bethesda's weird storytelling instincts (Fallout the TV show's bad in a very specific way that isn't the way Bethesda is bad at telling stories, you can tell because, for example, a lot of the dialogue is competent to good) and the sense of place, what is left of their take on Fallout? Ultra-violence and some visual designs?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Adventure shows and particularly movies often have quite a bit of trouble showing distances travailed and time past. The most usual way is just showing people have dirtier clothes and grow a beard.

I can only think of a few shows and movies that have actually done it well. Books are far better at it.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

It's bad in the way most modern TV is bad,

I agree, but what do you mean specifically?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Some gamers have recognized the true flaw in the TV show, which is real human anatomy:

https://twitter.com/GameCharacterAI/status/1778300445821219189

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Gamers are the worst. lol.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Some gamers have recognized the true flaw in the TV show, which is real human anatomy:

https://twitter.com/GameCharacterAI/status/1778300445821219189

I take it back, if it got this one person mad, the show is good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The horrifying realization you won't be able to download your sex mods for the TV show

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

The horrifying realization you won't be able to download your sex mods for the TV show

Wait like... five years?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, we've had a very recent example of a TV show based on a videogame property that managed to convey a sense of place and journey and the passage of time quite well (The Last of Us), so I'm not persuaded that the production team simply hit the limits of the medium. Besides, if you take out Bethesda's weird storytelling instincts (Fallout the TV show's bad in a very specific way that isn't the way Bethesda is bad at telling stories, you can tell because, for example, a lot of the dialogue is competent to good) and the sense of place, what is left of their take on Fallout? Ultra-violence and some visual designs?

I’m pretty certain you haven’t watched the show because the vertibird scenes coupled with the long overhead shots of characters trudging over miles of desert give a pretty amazing sense of scale of the Wasteland.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NotNut posted:

I agree, but what do you mean specifically?

Quoting myself from the other week in the TVIV thread:

Arc Hammer posted:

If this show turns out to be bad I expect it'll be bad in the way most modern 8-12 episode season shows are bad, not because the showrunners dont understand fallout. Poorly prioritized storytelling, obnoxious cliffhanger episode endings, inexplicable filler episodes despite having a limited runtime, and a structural split between telling a tight, cohesive narrative and wanting to explore a broad canvas of all the franchise iconography and "stuff".

There's definitely structural issues with some episodes, getting sidetracked and then hurrying to push everything together in the last act to pull out a climax.

This is the same thing that affects most modern TV that doesn't make the best use of its alloted episode count. Some shows pull it off better than others. Fallout TV is somewhere in the middle.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I’m pretty certain you haven’t watched the show because the vertibird scenes coupled with the long overhead shots of characters trudging over miles of desert give a pretty amazing sense of scale of the Wasteland.

I don't know what to tell you dude, except that I have, and that your shtick of accusing me of not having watched the show is kind of annoying, lmao.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That's Fallout 2

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Lol the fallout TV show is good, but it’s no last of us or Arcane. I can see why people have problems with the show, I don’t see a problem with that poster’s complaints.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Flamewar... Flamewar never changes.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D_C0gNjaiw

Tim's got words

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Unfortunately he doesn't talk about the TV show much. It's mostly about how much he enjoys going to big Hollywood premieres.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Unfortunately he doesn't talk about the TV show much. It's mostly about how much he enjoys going to big Hollywood premieres.

And a possibly probably definitely evil robot vacuum cleaner called Oscar haunting the hallways of a hollywood hotel.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't know what to tell you dude, except that I have, and that your shtick of accusing me of not having watched the show is kind of annoying, lmao.

There are long shots and wide shots that show the scope of the Wasteland in the show, so I don’t understand how you couldn’t have a sense of scale.

E: you also seem to be trying to engage this show like it’s The Sopranos or Breaking Bad or The Wire. Fallout is none of these shows, but it’s a really good Fallout TV show.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 12, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sense of place, deeper meaning, mystery box, iconography, yadda yadda yadda *my head is crushed by a power fist while vault boy gives the thumbs up*

the most offensive thing to me so far is that they presumably paid idiot clown Michael Rappaport money to be in it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Between this thread and the TV thread being full of people talking past each other I don't even want to write up my full thoughts anymore if its just going to be met with arguments over niggling details and accusations. This poo poo is exhausting.

I like the show. The acting is good. Two of the plotlines are loving excellent. I don't like the way it portrays the NCR. New Vegas remains the best game in the series and one of the best games of all time.

Peace, I'm out until anyone wants to have a chat about bastardized Hagelian Dialectics and autocratic rule.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

New Vegas remains the best game in the series and one of the best games of all time.

I bought my Steamdeck just to play New Vegas.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
For the Steam Deck, does it need to be in desktop mode to play the game with mods?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Peace, I'm out until anyone wants to have a chat about bastardized Hagelian Dialectics and autocratic rule.

If you want to see the fate of democracies, watch Fallout (2024).

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A question about the tv show: Am I supposed to like/empathise with Maximus, or just laugh at him?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

A question about the tv show: Am I supposed to like/empathise with Maximus, or just laugh at him?

So far I have just been laughing at him

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

He's pathetic and idealistic at the start of the story, and his arc involves (mostly) growing beyond that. So both really.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

Between this thread and the TV thread being full of people talking past each other I don't even want to write up my full thoughts anymore if its just going to be met with arguments over niggling details and accusations. This poo poo is exhausting.

I like the show. The acting is good. Two of the plotlines are loving excellent. I don't like the way it portrays the NCR. New Vegas remains the best game in the series and one of the best games of all time.

Caravan is cool

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Arc Hammer posted:

House's spiel about 'calculations' regarding the Great War are considerably less impressive/outright lies, if the show so far is anything to go by.

Also pre-war cryogenically frozen folks are a dime a dozen now, despite there being a whole vault experiment dedicated to whether or not the cryogenic freezing would work/could work over a long period of time - unless one can try to rationalise Vault 101 as a 'control group' to Vault 31's cryogenics - those in 31 knew they were going to be frozen, while those in 101 didn't know, making this the closest Vault-Tec has ever gotten to proper scientific rigor.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

The talk about post post apocalypse makes me wonder why no one’s done a prestige tv adaption of Canticle for Lebowitz yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

The talk about post post apocalypse makes me wonder why no one’s done a prestige tv adaption of Canticle for Lebowitz yet

bad news, this is it.