Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

dear lord lol

https://twitter.com/MappingFL/status/1778633815046369574
https://twitter.com/MappingFL/status/1778634717769712017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DEMOCRACY HAS NEVER FAILED

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

what Plato didn't understand is that the cave rules

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

"Lefty Lutheran"

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

How many liberals are like this, do you think?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Excelzior posted:

what Plato didn't understand is that the cave rules

little dude chained up watching the shadows dancing on the wall but also able to stand up and shout MCDONALDS like in the future interactive commercials patent ftw

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

How many liberals are like this, do you think?

99.99%

anyways anyone that makes excuses for genocide like these freaks do they dont even deny it are literal garbage same as the chuds or whatever they despise

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Apr 12, 2024

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

VitalSigns posted:

I remember the argument also went something like: there's no naturally-occurring blue color in the world, so ancient people were never exposed to blue and thus never developed language for it or even the ability for their brains to process it. Like the experiments where you blindfold a baby monkey or whatever and then it's never able to see properly because it had no visual stimulus when its brain was developing. So humans only gained the ability so see blue once blue pigment was invented and we started painting things blue and so on.

But...like...there is blue in nature. Bluebonnets, bluejays, blueberries, turquoise, sapphires, lapis lazuli, the sky?

If people didn't see blue, why were blue pigments from Afghanistan so prized in the ancient world, wouldn't they just look like any cheaper wine-dark pigment you could get at home? How did rare expensive blue pigments even get invented in the first place if no one needed them or could distinguish them from wine? Why do we find evidence of blue paint on ancient Greek buildings like the Parthenon (OK it was 5th century BC and Homer was 8th century, so were those 300 years the critical ones when people started seeing blue?) But even then you can find blue tiles from the 30th century BC in Egypt soooo

That type of bullshit is interesting to think about, like the plot of Pontypool is interesting to think about, but lmfao that people would actually consider it as a real theory or something.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

no posting allowed

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I mean, it is completely correct that the government failed in large part because the communists were unwilling to form a coalition with the SPD. This analysis just overlooks that they were completely correct in not doing so

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I am 1000% firm on this. I have studied and analyzed every election and Weimar campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZA8mSZ51JY

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/MappingFL/status/1778512545537540609?t=Z1XUuFY_ZVWuSSdOnRchQA&s=19

We're now at Holocaust denial levels of making bad analogies for voting for Biden

Yeah it was the communist voters who failed and bear the blame for all that good call mappingFL

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the holocaust is communisms fault is certainly a new take

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

ArmedZombie posted:

the holocaust is communisms fault is certainly a new take

I believe it was the original take, by the people doing it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Why do they capitalize NAZI like that? Do they think it's an acronym?

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Thoguh posted:

lmao I just googled "The Death of Afternoon" to see if there was a good essay or something I could link and because google sucks now it is convinced that I'm really looking for the Hemingway story "Death In The Afternoon" and absolutely refuses to be convinced otherwise and return results on what I'm actually looking for.

google used to let you use quotes to search exact phrases, but that no longer works. it doesn't even work in gmail anymore

gmail search was always worse than google search, but it's gotten aggressively bad over the past year. it seems like every text string i try to search, gmail will pull results that include even distant synonyms for every word. searching any number string is worthless cause it will return results for single digits within your string, which will be in tons of emails thanks to header timestamps.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nonsense posted:

dear lord lol

The underlying assumption seems to be that all KPD controlled seats "belonged" to the SPD who would have naturally won them if the Communist Party did not exist, instead of sayyyy going to another party that had a wing with working class support from people who didn't believe the SPD was willing or able to address material conditions.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

PhilippAchtel posted:

Why do they capitalize NAZI like that? Do they think it's an acronym?

Someone with just enough education to be this stupid, probably does think it's an acronym for Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, yes.

VitalSigns posted:

The underlying assumption seems to be that all KPD controlled seats "belonged" to the SPD who would have naturally won them if the Communist Party did not exist, instead of sayyyy going to another party that had a wing with working class support from people who didn't believe the SPD was willing or able to address material conditions.

Liberal_understanding_of_left.txt

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

communism was an outcome not a cause in nazi racial ideology

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Right so being forced to do the Holocaust was Communism's fault.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

VitalSigns posted:

Good example is Bette Midler hearing about the term "people who menstruate"
https://twitter.com/BetteMidler/status/1543979948611981313

She is not a sexist or a transphobe, but she is an Old and her initial reaction to an unfamiliar gender neutral term was "they're taking things away from women"

More like Beta Mid-ler

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Euphoriaphone posted:

google used to let you use quotes to search exact phrases, but that no longer works. it doesn't even work in gmail anymore

gmail search was always worse than google search, but it's gotten aggressively bad over the past year. it seems like every text string i try to search, gmail will pull results that include even distant synonyms for every word. searching any number string is worthless cause it will return results for single digits within your string, which will be in tons of emails thanks to header timestamps.

lmao

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Euphoriaphone posted:

google used to let you use quotes to search exact phrases, but that no longer works.

Why did they do this?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

There's a bullshit pseudo-mysticism take I see sometimes that the Holocaust only could have happened because the Bolsheviks violated decency and made everything permissible, seems like it's usually either libs or like catholic conservatives making this "argument," anything to avoid blaming the nazis for things the nazis did

Dr. Jerrold Coe has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Apr 13, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It's the Nazi argument, since Judeo-Bolshevism held that Jews and Communists were the same thing, the Holocaust was conceptualized as an internal war against an existential threat. Jews/Communists had no decency, so the fate of Germany hung in the balance.

What wouldn't you do to save your nation? etc.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It's the Nazi argument, since Judeo-Bolshevism held that Jews and Communists were the same thing, the Holocaust was conceptualized as an internal war against an existential threat. Jews/Communists had no decency, so the fate of Germany hung in the balance.

What wouldn't you do to save your nation? etc.

yeah, there's those quotes from hitler and crew hyping themselves up saying oh we're hard men making hard decisions, our grandchildren will thank us, blah blah blah

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Why did they do this?

I assume it’s a lot harder to serve ads and YouTube videos this way

sombrero
Oct 1, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

I literally can't find specific things that I'm looking for through web searches anymore

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I haven't yet used it in earnest but I saw a couple different people talking about Kagi as a search engine and I was able to put in -hemingway and it actually worked.

First time I've ever heard if kagi and I guess they want your email and they might bill you for advanced search? All that is worth it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/pipitaqueens/status/1778888113592361247?t=zpplCbHnapb1vKJtyTPGow&s=19

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

To quote a famous philosopher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g7otx-Es-Q

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you can do very specific searches then you aren't getting the search results google was paid to produce.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

There's a bullshit pseudo-mysticism take I see sometimes that the Holocaust only could have happened because the Bolsheviks violated decency and made everything permissible, seems like it's usually either libs or like catholic conservatives making this "argument," anything to avoid blaming the nazis for things the nazis did

The counter of this, of course, is to say, "Cool, so why did America genocide the Native Americans, something that predated the Bolsheviks and also was magnitudes worse than the Holocaust and also was specifically cited as an inspiration by the Holocaust perpetrators?"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

lol ok this is dumb as gently caress. Succ equivalent of "Why don't they spend time helping veterans"

i guess but this post is more indicative of what i was thinking. i just didn't care to elaborate because i do not care [to elaborate {:effort:}]

Casey Finnigan posted:

Maybe I'm nuts but I don't think the arbitrary grammatical rules about gender have much to do with the actual circumstances of gender equality in reality.

Japanese has no concept of grammatical gender whatsoever and very often you can't tell the gender of a person that you're speaking about until you actually specify it. And yet it's a really, really sexist society. I just don't think there's a really strong link there.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Nichael in ruins

listen fat god love ya

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

is this applicable to palestinian children

Probably Magic posted:

Do... do people not use "one" anymore? It still works if you want to do generalized singular, "they" would be awkward in that context.

i like to say "this one" like those jellyfish people in mass effect

Lib and let die posted:

It makes one sound like a Khajit

basic bitch cat people

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Probably Magic posted:

The counter of this, of course, is to say, "Cool, so why did America genocide the Native Americans, something that predated the Bolsheviks and also was magnitudes worse than the Holocaust and also was specifically cited as an inspiration by the Holocaust perpetrators?"

Frontiers of Empire: Max Sering, Inner Colonization, and the German East, 1871–1945

How did the homesteads and reservations of the Prairies of Western North America influence German colonization, ethnic cleansing and genocide in Eastern Europe? Max Sering, a world-famous agrarian settlement expert, stood on the Great Plains in 1883 and saw Germany's future in Eastern Europe: a grand scheme of frontier settlement. Sering was a key figure in the evolution of Germany's relationship with its eastern frontier, as well as in the overall transformation of the German Right from the Bismarckian 1880s to the Hitlerian 1930s. 'Inner colonization' was the settlement of farmers in threatened borderland areas within the nation's boundaries. Focusing on this phenomenon, Frontiers of Empire complicates the standard thesis of separation between the colonizing country and the colonized space, and blurs the typical boundaries between colonizer and colonized subjects.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

my rep, a member of the "progressive caucus" voted no.

it's okay though, she's retiring from the House this year. to become US Senator in place of tom carper.

it's okay though, her most likely replacement is surely a progressive, as it is sarah mcbride who is poised to be the first transgender woman (and person period) in congress. however it appears that sarah loves genocide and lbr so she'd vote no too.

it's okay though, sarah's chief challenger is ur-delaware progressive, eugene young, who notably was centrist voltroned in the wilmington 2016 mayoral primary by the dad of the guy who did the fyre festival. and we've of course got big hopes for his campaign, as it's run by a lot of delaware progressive heavyweights. oh wait, it appears that he too loves genocide and israel, and has been endorsed by governor carney (the guy who vetoed weed and the father of a kid who murdered a kid via college hazing) and senator corey booker (who loves genocide).

hmmmm sensing a bit of a problem here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

help i don't know who to vote for in this democratic primary between two progressives who love genocide, annihilating privacy rights, and weirdo dads of failkids who murder people