Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

This whole post—but especially this—reminds me of the low-carb thread that ended up killing someone's dog

How did the dog die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
did they eat the dog? :ohdear:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

No dead pet stories please.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Shanghaied posted:

How did the dog die?

Dogs didn't evolve to eat only meat any more than humans did. A meat only diet would lead to malnutrition.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Yeah, forum user "don't eat a carb" fed their dog a human low-carb diet until it passed away from malnutrition.

The gassed thread lives here, or there's a podcast episode on I'M FROM THE INTERNET dedicated to it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

olylifter posted:

I (35F) am considering leaving my Husband (47M) because he started the carnivore "lion" diet - How can I make him see sense?

Waiting for the followup "My husband posted a video to twitter complaining about being banned and used the phrase 'up yours work moralists', what should I do?"

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Dogs didn't evolve to eat only meat any more than humans did. A meat only diet would lead to malnutrition.

I was afraid the dog ate an entire bucket of lard, I know my sister's Great Dane would.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

FMguru posted:

AITA for not allowing my cousin to take home food?

Bringing your own to-go containers to scarf up all the leftovers of a spread that you didn't contribute a nickle to is some next-level leeching.

From what I can read in this story it sounds like the woman that brought the togo containers is struggling and might need the food to feed her stepkids. I base that on her mentioning she bought a gift from the Dollar Store and all she had to contribute was $10. Yeah, her entitlement kind of sucks, but if she is struggling that bad OP could have given her some food to help. Even though it sounds like she does this on a regular basis it could be she has just been struggling for that long.

I'll gladly change my mind if it comes out they have plenty of money and are notoriously cheap. I feel like if that was the case OP would have mentioned it.

I'll say OP is an rear end in a top hat on this one.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Irisi posted:

He is going to die of scurvy due to lack of Vitamin C. A man living in the USA in the 21st century is actually going to die of scurvy, astonishing, just astonishing.
Both Grimes and Sam Altman have had scurvy. It can happen to anybody.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

by Pragmatica
I thought you were talking about that one dog, where the bachelor goon said "my depravities knew no bounds and poor sparky".

mystes
May 31, 2006

cat botherer posted:

lol

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

cat botherer posted:

Grimes' version is so funny because she wanted to be a vegetarian but didn't know how so she ate spaghetti every meal for months.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

cat botherer posted:

Yes, but in modern society, where people can get fruit from all over the world in any season and where vitamins are added to cheap food in order to make people less alarmed by food deserts and the cost of fresh food, it genuinely takes effort to get scurvy. It's something that requires months of having no vitamin C at all.

It's gone from being something that sailors and adventurers get to being something that whackadoos give themselves.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

Is this from a far away country where birthday cakes are dirt cheap? 'Cause just lmao ruining multiple expensive cakes for your lovely joke year after year lol.

i hear legends of an exotic land called The United States where you can just go to the grocery store and get a sheet cake for like twenty bucks

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I met my wife in the cucumber aisle.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

quantumwell posted:

I was afraid the dog ate an entire bucket of lard, I know my sister's Great Dane would.

When I was a kid, our Great Dane ate a quadruple batch of sugar cookies that had almost 2 pounds of butter in it. She spent all of the early morning until noon the next day just streaming diarrhea out of her butt.

That's my Great Dane gluttony story.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

redshirt posted:

I met my wife in the cucumber aisle.

Your wife is Mrs. Dean Wormer?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Your wife is Mrs. Dean Wormer?

lol Zero.Zero....

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FMguru posted:

That owns so hard.

Eat poo poo, mom.

Mom's gonna wonder why she's in a cut-rate rest home in the Tenderloin District of SF

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

We've seen before from hundreds of posts here that there's basically two totally incompatible cultural views of respect and reputation that seem to exist in the world.

-One's respect and reputation is based on their actions and the truth. The abuser is bad because they abuse and they deserve a bad reputation. The truthful spread of this information and any harm that comes to their reputation is simply the very just and deserved consequences of their actions.

-One's respect and reputation is based on their position in the local hierarchy, be it family, business, political, you name it. Grandma is regarded as the matriarch of the whole extended family so you're actually the bad person for truthfully telling people about her racist screeds. Your older brother is the golden child, the oldest male and thus most important child, you are a vile person for letting it get out that he has 2 "minor" sexual assault convictions. Actions and truth have nothing to do anything, only maintaining hierarchy and the respect owed to those at the top.

Quoting this because it sums up the situation really, really well.

Also,

quote:

My brother moved in with me because of his pending divorce, and his habits are driving us to the poor house. His ex-wife lives off her family’s money and her rich new boyfriend, but still expects my brother to pay half of whatever she decides. My brother just rolls over and pays, leaving me hanging when our bills are due.

He is the same way with his three kids. “No” is not a word in their vocabulary. The girls don’t want to share a room (they are 10 and 7), so my brother sleeps on the couch. Then he complains about his bad back. The kids want to eat out for every meal they have here. I will literally make tacos, and they whine that they want to go to the expensive TexMex restaurant by the mall. My brother just gives in. My hours have been cut at work, and I have been pinching pennies. One of the reasons I let my brother move in with me was that I thought we both would save money. It isn’t working out that way. He feels like he needs to compete to keep his kids’ affections, and I tell him he is doing more harm than good. Be there for the kids, but that means being a parent and not their best buddy.

He has twice run out of gas on the highway because he didn’t fill up his tank enough and instead spent the money on ridiculous overpriced snacks for the kids. I have bought generic snacks and switched them into more expensive bags, and the kids do not notice. I love my nieces and nephew, but they should not be ruling the roost when I am fighting to keep the lights on. I am this close to kicking my brother out and getting a paying roommate. I do have a lease with him.

quote:

You need to have a very serious conversation with your brother in which you describe how his largesse with his ex and his children is impacting your household. Let him know that you will no longer pick up the slack while he spoils his kids and sends money to a woman who doesn’t need it. Explain to him that you know he loves his children dearly, but that spending money that he doesn’t have on them does not make him a good father. He is setting unrealistic expectations for them. Remind him about his back pain and that he could be sleeping comfortably if he would only have enough backbone to make two girls who are close in age share a room. Put your foot down. Tell him that you will be forced to find new living arrangements if he doesn’t make a change. Ask him if he’s truly happy with the way things are now and if he thinks they are sustainable. Bring up the fact that you all moved in together with the goal of saving money, and how you have been forced to cover for him. Since you’re both on the lease, instead of kicking him out and finding a new roommate, you may have to consider leaving yourself. Stick to your guns and insist on a change and if you don’t get one, take steps to untangle yourself from your brother’s mess.
Dad is apparently Michael Scott.

quote:

I just let my son down in a big way, and need to know how to help make it right. He is almost 7, and an only child/only grandchild/only great-grandchild. I’m a single mom. His 91-year-old great-grandma is an important part of his life. She lives 30 minutes away with her son, a temperamental curmudgeon who has an old mean dog. When my son was 1.5, the dog bit him, making a cut and tiny scar on his face. She hasn’t bit or attacked anyone else, but she growls and bares her teeth when there’s no threat. We’ve been trying to see GG as often as possible as she’s not going to be around forever, and has some signs of mild cognitive changes, plus she adores my son.

Today, we visited in a smaller group than usual and my uncle didn’t want to keep the dog in a bedroom as is the usual protocol. My son cried and asked him kindly to put her away, but he refused in a way that made me see his uncle’s desperation; the dog is his “baby,” and he is very lonely and alienated. I gently told him my son was scared, and he reluctantly put the dog away, but soon had her out, promising she’d be okay. I told my son we could give her a chance and that I’d ensure she went away if she growled or showed signs of aggression, but I didn’t. I just watched him like a hawk and intervened anytime he was near the dog. It growled and bared teeth, and made the visit strained. How can I show my son that I have his back and will support him when he’s scared? He’s very sensitive and empathetic and needs me to be his trusted supporter. I broke that trust, I’m afraid. Is there any way to get it back?

quote:

Though your son may have been afraid of the dog, it’s unlikely that he feels that he can trust you less because that happened. Thankfully, the dog didn’t attack him this time. If you need to address the incident with him, tell him you’re sorry that the dog made him uncomfortable and that you won’t allow that to happen again. Explain that his uncle doesn’t mean him harm, but that he is very attached to his dog in the way that some people are with their children. For future visits, insist that the dog is kept away from him and leave immediately if his uncle brings her out. You should ask that when he comes over, he and his great-grandmother spend time together in a separate room from his uncle. I don’t know how well she gets around, but if possible, you may want to consider picking her up and spending time together at your home instead of hers.
It's just a tiny little scar on a baby's face, what's the big deal

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

Lol, this'll learn her

AITA for faking a serious eye injury, making my mom faint, and ruining my birthday party.

Stupid daughter! You made me look bad!! *puts on mask* OOGA BOOGA BOOGA

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Mom's gonna wonder why she's in a cut-rate rest home in the Tenderloin District of SF
The Tenderloin is still pretty expensive! Mom's getting exiled to Fresno.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neito posted:

I'm mostly joking; I find the 3/3.5 design philosophy (which Pathfinder is an extension of) to be extremely uninteresting and encouraging powergaming bullshit.

But also like, a good GM can make nearly any system interesting. Unless the system is clearly the result of mental illness, like Hybrid, or clearly just some weirdo's misogynistic racist fantasy, like FATAL.

Again, depending on edition it's probably a very different thing, since Pathfinder 2e is a major break and apparently styled on D&D 4e instead, which had actual game design. A big problem with a lot of popular role playing systems is that they can be pretty badly designed and put far more work on the GM to actually make them fun, the latest D&D edition is a biggie where apparently lots of people want to play it but hardly anyone actually wants to DM it anymore because they have to basically do the designers' job for them on top of everything.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
r/relationships: I'm a pathfinder gal and he's a D&D guy, could it possibly work out?

The buried lede in the post is he contributes nothing and cheats profusely, but she's more concerned with their difference in system preferences.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

the holy poopacy posted:

i hear legends of an exotic land called The United States where you can just go to the grocery store and get a sheet cake for like twenty bucks

That's as much as changing two other people's avatars, what kind of person has that much cash just sitting around? (And yeah, I actually checked the price at a grocery store near me, $19.99 for a standard premade sheet cake. Cake mix, frosting, plus eggs is around $6 if you want to bake your own).

That kid had the perfect response though, and showing people the messages where she promised not to was genius.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

syntaxfunction posted:

r/relationships: I'm a pathfinder gal and he's a D&D guy, could it possibly work out?

The buried lede in the post is he contributes nothing and cheats profusely, but she's more concerned with their difference in system preferences.

It's called fudging his rolls, and he wouldn't have to do it if he used a system with actual math behind it!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

olylifter posted:

I (35F) am considering leaving my Husband (47M) because he started the carnivore "lion" diet - How can I make him see sense?

If husband thinks calories are a myth I cannot help but wonder about all the other insane poo poo he’s definitely into that are also not each bad enough to be the topic instead of the constipation and statins diet

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Sub Guy goes to college!

AITA for taking the last flank steak during lunch in university?

quote:

During lunch at the university, where we pay for our meals by weight, we have free access to the available food. Yesterday, the flank steak was in high demand, quickly running out and necessitating frequent refills by the kitchen staff. Since the food is prepared fresh, there wasn't a ready stock of flank steak, leading to waits for more to be cooked and served.

After waiting in line for about 30 minutes for the flank steak, when it finally came my turn, there were only 4 pieces left on the tray. Upon taking them, a freshman behind me questioned if I really needed to take the last 4 pieces. I explained that taking fewer wouldn't satisfy my hunger and argued that regardless of how many pieces I took, someone behind us in line would face the same wait I did. I pointed out it was a matter of timing, and unfortunately that someone was him, he was just out of luck at that moment. He simply replied, "If you think so, that's fine," and I proceeded to pay for my meal.

AITA?

EDIT: I wanted you to keep in mind that everyone behind me still got steaks, including the freshman, just not in the moment he wanted to.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Troublemaker posted:

Sub Guy goes to college!

Dare I ask how many oz each flank steak was?

:gonk:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres basically no size of those flank steaks where even if you were a professional body builder you'd need 4 of them since you'd want more lean meats

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s so hard to stay on the lion diet at college :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Troublemaker posted:

Sub Guy goes to college!

:yeshaha:

Nothing hits quite like a greedy eater story. Learn from your hunger, lowly freshman, and perhaps next time you will not challenge the four meals needed to sate my appetite!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kenshin posted:

Dare I ask how many oz each flank steak was?

:gonk:

It sounds like it was a buffet kind of deal, in which case the pieces were probably smaller strips/slices of a steak, and not a full sized one.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

AnoHito posted:

It sounds like it was a buffet kind of deal, in which case the pieces were probably smaller strips/slices of a steak, and not a full sized one.

Yes but even 4x4oz steaks is a 16oz steak which is a pretty big piece of meat so I think you see where I'm going with this

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Flank steak is usually cut into very thin slices, because it is a relatively tough cut and thin slices help with that. Typically eack slice is unlikely to weigh more than an ounce.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

He says in the comments each piece was the size of his hand and about half an inch thick.

Not that it really matters how big they were though, there were people behind him who were vocal about wanting a share. He should have taken one portion of the meat and filled up on something else.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Neito posted:

Grimes' version is so funny because she wanted to be a vegetarian but didn't know how so she ate spaghetti every meal for months.

How do you not know how to be a vegetarian? Vegan I could understand, there's a lot of animal ingredients that aren't really obviously non-vegan (did you know SUGAR can be non-vegan?), but the only products I've encountered so far where it wasn't immediately obvious if they were vegetarian or not was stuff with gelatin.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cloacamazing! posted:

How do you not know how to be a vegetarian? Vegan I could understand, there's a lot of animal ingredients that aren't really obviously non-vegan (did you know SUGAR can be non-vegan?), but the only products I've encountered so far where it wasn't immediately obvious if they were vegetarian or not was stuff with gelatin.

Grimes is very, very dumb.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
She also claimed that while she was with Elon she often would go days without food, because Elon didn't order food for the house. Also they slept on a disgusting old mattress because Elon is a goon.

Like bitch you're rich, go get your own food and mattress! How is this hard? How some people have gotten so far in life, I'll never understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Shanghaied posted:

She also claimed that while she was with Elon she often would go days without food, because Elon didn't order food for the house. Also they slept on a disgusting old mattress because Elon is a goon.

Like bitch you're rich, go get your own food and mattress! How is this hard? How some people have gotten so far in life, I'll never understand.

Having rich parents who hire people to do everything helps a lot.