Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Ardennes posted:

Taco Bell being pricey is the most hilarious outcome. Chipotle was always overrated.

broke butt and broke wallet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My favorite bar use to do MNF Bingo with $.35 wings just a few years ago. Polishing off 20 wings and a beer for ~$10 was the perfect Monday. That same wing deal is now $.75 a wing. I will not stand for this wing inflation

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

George H.W. oval office posted:

My favorite bar use to do MNF Bingo with $.35 wings just a few years ago. Polishing off 20 wings and a beer for ~$10 was the perfect Monday. That same wing deal is now $.75 a wing. I will not stand for this wing inflation

pack of cigs, pitcher of beer & street pierogi was my $10 go to

god that’s prob $30 now

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm guessing it is drastically different, but is there a general measurement of what percent of price increases is attributable to higher wages and what is attributable to profit taking?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

no lube so what posted:

pack of cigs, pitcher of beer & street pierogi was my $10 go to

god that’s prob $30 now

Cigarettes alone are $15 by now

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

SirPablo posted:

I'm guessing it is drastically different, but is there a general measurement of what percent of price increases is attributable to higher wages and what is attributable to profit taking?

Depends who you ask.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

not going to fact-check it but i'd believe it.

Can’t find the article but apparently Chipotle’s strategy has been to lean into high prices and it’s working for them. Last time I went to one two burritos was $30 but they’re opening new locations in fancy suburbs here and they all look busy.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The biggest scam is the "fancy" pizza buffet. The margins on this must be incredible

quote:

One menu, 5-courses, one price - $25.95 per person (less for kids). Enjoy exceptional wines at a great value, craft cocktails, bossa nova and a continuous variety of savory and dessert pizzas, all served rodízio-style

No sir I'll take my Cicis slop thank you very much

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The biggest scam is the "fancy" pizza buffet. The margins on this must be incredible

I feel like the answer is no, but that reads like the cocktails/wines are included in the $25, which is a solid deal

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

just go to saizeriya imo

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ardennes posted:

Taco Bell being pricey is the most hilarious outcome.

And I don't even get my three seashells.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this some midwest poo poo or?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the million casualties of america's wars in the middle east seem totally absent from this chart? weird!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

post hole digger posted:

the million casualties of america's wars in the middle east seem totally absent from this chart? weird!

Also Vietnam seems really undercounted? As does the Congo war? In fact a lot of those numbers seem really low. Is Biafra not on there?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Every time I visit my family in Texas, I'm carted off to Cicis or some dreadful all you can eat Chinese buffet, to eat endless abhorrent piles of the nastiest food imaginable at prices that, you gotta hand it to them, almost reflect the actual value of the ersatz food. What a deal!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

SirPablo posted:

Does anyone even measure this? I think they are just implicitly using the labor theory of value to conclude that prices go up because of labor costs not other inputs to production.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

post hole digger posted:

Those are metric for deaths that matter (white people).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

sullat posted:

Also Vietnam seems really undercounted? As does the Congo war? In fact a lot of those numbers seem really low. Is Biafra not on there?

It seems to exclude much of the USA wars because the usa doesn't declare war or only attacks "stateless" entities.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

It seems to exclude much of the USA wars because the usa doesn't declare war or only attacks "stateless" entities.

It also probably doesn't count unofficial state actions like quietly paying a bunch of "independent" fascist groups to do ethnic cleansings.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I suppose we shouldn't be too hard on Mr. Devereaux; whitewashing 70 years of imperial adventures is quite the task; Rome's reputation wasn't rehabilitated in a single day after all.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Xaris posted:

I was listening to sports radio yesterday and they were talking about the ridiculous fast-food prices and one of them literally referred to them as treats lol.

"When you guys are going out to get your treats what's the one thing you'll buy no matter how much." or something like that.

Then they got into a debate about having your treats delivered or going to pick them up yourself.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

he's right.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/yanisvaroufakis/status/1779138753061068918?t=Z9ZQJEFdUIL5x_VjpH3DKw&s=19

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think Americans in 2024 have the moral high ground over medieval peasants as far as plague avoidance is concerned.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think Americans in 2024 have the moral high ground over medieval peasants as far as plague avoidance is concerned.

In history as in economy bigger number = better than

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Can’t find the article but apparently Chipotle’s strategy has been to lean into high prices and it’s working for them. Last time I went to one two burritos was $30 but they’re opening new locations in fancy suburbs here and they all look busy.

Chipotle in the seattle area is having to pay like 3mil in restitution to workers for denying them sick leave and retaliating against workers who wanted to make sure their hours worked with multiple jobs which js something we specifically made a law for here lol.

All that money and still playing stupid games.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Xaris posted:

fwiw pothole patching is basically just a bandaid and doesn't address underlying pumping of fines. it never lasts nor can it. could be their cheapening out on base course or subgrade prep, or just seeing more heavier rains than before. most roads re-done here in CA in the last 12 years have lasted pretty well.

also traffic has gotten heavier, both in terms of vehicular weight (8000 lb ford f250s), freight trucks have gotten much bigger and heavier (considering that hs-20 might be too low now), and just more cars there

this is from a ways back but i used to work in an industry adjacent to paving. This is specific to Atlanta but I imagine it's similar in all big cities.

Atlanta is actually very good at managing their highways and interstates and larger streets. There's one company called CW Matthews that owns all the asphalt and they get the contracts. Then they sub everything out to smaller outfits. They manage and coordinate everything and they have plans for like 10 years out. And then when 85 south burned down and it became a cost+ project they worked with all the various agencies and managed to rebuild it in 85 days which is pretty insane.

Unfortunately this model doesn't really do much for smaller surface roads or neighborhoods that are still within their estimated life cycle when they were built, but were never really intended to support the kind of giant cars we're seeing now. Weather is changing too. cracks in the roads are caused by shifts in foundations, and more extreme hot/cold cycles will further deteriorate them. Small cracks in the pavement become bigger ones when the water freezes, then more water gets in and next time it freezes the crack gets bigger etc. To say nothing about flooding washing stuff away.

hard tennis courts in Arizona and Texas typically last far longer than in Georgia or Florida. New tennis court construction in Atlanta is good for about 15 years, repaving good for a season, fancier repaving good for 3. In Arizona it's like 25, 5, 10 iirc. These big freezes that are coming in through Texas, combined with these massive flooding events? And the gigantic gently caress off cars? Itll create a crisis in a few years.

And those tiny potholes? None of the contractors can justify sending an entire crew out there, and the city can't justify filling it. The city has a very small fleet of pavers for stuff like that, and you can imagine how much funding those guys get, or how high a priority they are to the planners.

so yeah....pot holes are liberalism and environmental destruction and death of the commons all rolled into one.

FizFashizzle has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Apr 13, 2024

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Obviously some time in the late 300's - 600. Back when men were men, and women were men.

Majorian posted:

Mmhmmm, and how resistant would you say you are to plague?

HazCat posted:

Paladins are immune to all disease, idiot.

:actually:

If he wanted to be a paladin with the Twelve Peers, then he'd need to go back to the 8th century ...

:science:

041224_2
Apr 12, 2024
my private coffeeshop

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Hubbert posted:

:actually:

If he wanted to be a paladin with the Twelve Peers, then he'd need to go back to the 8th century ...

:science:

"Ferragus picks Ogier off his horse one-handed, before tucking him under his arm and carrying him off to his castle."

"In order for Floripas to be allowed to marry Guy of Burgundy, it was essential she be baptized as a Christian. The Saracen princess drew an unusually large crowd for her full-emersion baptism."

"Rinaldo fights the griffin guarding the horse Rabican while Flordelis looks on."

"Robert Browning added a new chapter to the story of Roland when he wrote his poem, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came. It is a grim poem, filled with horrific lines such as: ‘It may have been a water-rat I speared, But, ugh! it sounded like a baby’s shriek.’"

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 19:39 on Apr 13, 2024

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

Funny how all these prices are outpacing inflation, a measure of how quickly prices are increasing

Surely this is because items such as housing that make up the bulk of individual expenses must be falling precipitously

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Buy gasoline. Now.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Nonsense posted:

Buy gasoline. Now.

no

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Xaris posted:

actual inflation since 2014: 31%

lol

lmao

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I was friends with a district manager for Cicis and he told me that the food cost was essentially nil compared to a burger joint. Burger joints aim for ~20% food cost and Cici's was doing ~25% food+labor costs.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

post hole digger posted:

Aside from clearly undercounting the actual "forever wars" that people are referring to, that chart also, like, doesn't show anything interesting? Periods of big death are separated by periods of less death and a roughly 30 year period where we aren't engaging in industrialized killing on a truly global scale doesn't seem particularly noteworthy.

Counting just deaths is also going to lead to undercounting and bad conclusions for other reasons, too. One area where medical technology is absolutely making a massive difference is survivability for battlefield injuries that aren't immediately fatal, to the point where even comparing against something as recent as WW2 is going to be misleading. There are also going to be fewer deaths in any conflict where you don't have routine mass casualty events (ie, sinking a ship with 1000+ people onboard or engaging in pitched battles across a huge front), but that doesn't mean less wars or even less brutal wars.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nonsense posted:

Buy gasoline. Now.

How am I supposed to buy war stocks if I spend all my money on gasoline?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nonsense posted:

Buy gasoline. Now.

if I can’t drive to work I don’t have to work anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Nonsense posted:

Buy gasoline. Now.

Filling up a kiddie pool in my backyard with gas. I am prepared.