Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/edwinhayward/status/1779137873041617089

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lee & a sin

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Bah, it looks like we've got a woodlouse infestation, which is a bit of a problem with a 2 year old and a 9 month old rolling about on the floor.

Anyone else ever dealt with them before?

The only general advice I've had is to go around looking for cracks to fill with polyfiller.

I'm in a new build and can't really spot anything obvious along the skirting in the room I've seen them in though, but dunno if I also need to go to the extreme of lifting (and refitting) the carpets, etc.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Woodlice are attracted by damp wood, so it sounds like you might have an underlying damp problem somewhere. Once that's sorted, the woodlice should gently caress off. They won't do any actual damage to the property, and I'm pretty certain they are harmless to humans

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mebh posted:

They are, but they're European road bikes so they're heavy and designed for the serene plains of the Netherlands. This is the rough route without giving away my house address. Sheff is HILLY and these bikes suck to ride up hills off road.

Put them on Ebay, if they're in good nick then there's a good second hand market for decent old bikes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Your local taxi rank might be able to find a minivan with enough room to shove the bikes in.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kin posted:

Bah, it looks like we've got a woodlouse infestation, which is a bit of a problem with a 2 year old and a 9 month old rolling about on the floor.

Anyone else ever dealt with them before?

The only general advice I've had is to go around looking for cracks to fill with polyfiller.

I'm in a new build and can't really spot anything obvious along the skirting in the room I've seen them in though, but dunno if I also need to go to the extreme of lifting (and refitting) the carpets, etc.

You've got damp somewhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

Woodlice are attracted by damp wood
Humid planks are a preference for the suborder oniscidea
Or what is known as
(Woodlice)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
just wunt ma cuntry bak :cry:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Or what is known as
(Woodlice)

If you cant see any dark patches on the walls lift the carpet in the rooms you keep finding them. You'll probably find a problem in the subfloor.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

fuctifino posted:

Woodlice are attracted by damp wood, so it sounds like you might have an underlying damp problem somewhere. Once that's sorted, the woodlice should gently caress off. They won't do any actual damage to the property, and I'm pretty certain they are harmless to humans

OK, that might explain it then.

We've got a utility room that has a bit of a damp woody smell to it (wife usually has a washing on/drying every day because of the kids). The woodlice have shown up roughly during the same time we've noticed the smell.

The thing is my wife says she's never seen them in there and the room is kinda in the middle of the house away from the places we have found them.

That's why I never made a connection.

I can't see anything like damp in the kitchen/living room or anywhere where we are seeing them either.

Until posting here I just thought they were coming in from the back garden or something for "reasons" because the kitchen/living room are the ones that are adjacent to it.

serious gaylord posted:

If you cant see any dark patches on the walls lift the carpet in the rooms you keep finding them. You'll probably find a problem in the subfloor.

By subfloor, do you mean what's right under the carpet?

If so, it's just concrete IIRC (ground floor in a new build).

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 13, 2024

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

keep punching joe posted:

Put them on Ebay, if they're in good nick then there's a good second hand market for decent old bikes.

Skimming the thread and thought this was woodlouse advice

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kin posted:

OK, that might explain it then.

We've got a utility room that has a bit of a damp woody smell to it (wife usually has a washing on/drying every day because of the kids). The woodlice have shown up roughly during the same time we've noticed the smell.

The thing is my wife says she's never seen them in there and the room is kinda in the middle of the house away from the places we have found them.

That's why I never made a connection.

I can't see anything like damp in the kitchen/living room or anywhere where we are seeing them either.

Until posting here I just thought they were coming in from the back garden or something for "reasons" because the kitchen/living room are the ones that are adjacent to it.

You're probably finding them in those places as they are coming in as they're attracted to the damp areas in the house. The best way to get rid of woodlice is to sort the damp issue.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Kin posted:

you'll still have a cavity floor even on the ground level for running various services. A common sign of damp is cool or discoloured spots above your skirting boards where moisture climbs from below. You can get cheap endoscope cameras with lights that attach to your phone if you're not averse to drilling some small holes to inspect the underfloor

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought Rayner was already the hardest left person in Labour according to the Express.

kecske posted:

You can get cheap endoscope cameras with lights that attach to your phone if you're not averse to drilling some small holes to inspect the underfloor
Not too small though, there's still bits of an endoscope camera under my fireplace, and for that I'm eternally grateful that they're £15 instead of £15k these days.

Although I'm fairly sure it proved there's bales of lungwool under there so gently caress drilling anything else further around there.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
A plumber used one of those little cameras attached to a phone & drilled hole in my bath panel (no it isn't one of those easily pull out and push back in ones - the previous owners must have had shares in silicone companies the amount they used to seal everything up but I digress) as there was damp rising in my bedroom wall, in the wall outside in the communal corridor etc. Saw NOTHING.

Unconvinced, I had a handyman remove the bath panel and it was absolutely soaking underneath and also a pair of man's underpants under there! WTF - who seals up a bath with a pair of man's underpants in there? So anyway, I hung a plastic shower curtain along the wall to which the bath was attached ut not exactly (it's a bit more complicated than that - can't be assed to explain just take my word for it) and within a week, the damp had stopped rising in the bedroom and outside in the corridor.

I used to get quite a few wood lice, but only seen one in the past few months! Didn't associate them with the damp and not sure how they might have got in.

Meanwhile, there may be trouble ahead, music, dancing, moonlight etc.....

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1779248521503256924

:toot: :420:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pity they didn't see fit to stop the Israelis knocking out the Iranian diplomats.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the ayatollah is going to have a hell of a red face if they run out of juice on the way

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

kecske posted:

you'll still have a cavity floor even on the ground level for running various services. A common sign of damp is cool or discoloured spots above your skirting boards where moisture climbs from below. You can get cheap endoscope cameras with lights that attach to your phone if you're not averse to drilling some small holes to inspect the underfloor

Hmm, yeah drilling holes through the concrete is starting to sound a bit beyond me to be honest.

Though the way it was explained to me by the housebuilder is that all the services utilities are in the walls rather than in the floor on ur ground floor.

Like power and water or whatever come into the wall from outside then go up the wall to the ceiling/floor level. From there it runs along the 1st floor and goes up to the sockets/radiators on that floor, but down to the sockets/radiators on the ground floor, etc.

But yeah, no cool spots or discolouration in the rooms I've seen them in hence my confusion.

In the utility room, the skirting has come away from the wall slightly due to shrinkage (this happened long before the smell), so my hunch is that's where moisture has built up because the paint has started coming off of it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
...kamikaze drones? you mean like a flying machine that destroys itself with the pilot inside but that doesn't have a pilot inside? i think you've just invented the missile again mate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if it takes them hours to get there I feel like that's probably too small to be intercepted by a jet fighter. "Kamikaze drones" sounds like it means a quadcopter with a bomb on it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is one of the many advancing swarms flying over Iraq:

They are small and fly at low altitudes, making normal AA systems pretty useless. They also fly at low speed, making it very hard for fighter aircraft to intercept. The idea of the swarms is to overload air defences, making it easier for the cruise missiles to enter through the confusion. Many of these drones will hit their target too and can do a fair amount of damage, with each drone able to carry a 30-50kg warhead

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 13, 2024

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

making it easier for the what now

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

This is one of the many advancing swarms flying over Iraq:

They are small and fly at low altitudes, making normal AA systems pretty useless. They also fly at low speed, making it very hard for fighter aircraft to intercept. The idea of the swarms is to overload air defences, making it easier for the cruise missiles to enter through the confusion. Many of these drones will hit their target too and can do a fair amount of damage.

One swarm that isn`t being sold to Russia for a change. :ukraine:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

2024 shaping up to be yet another tremendous year. Just love it

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm confused, Iran has said they've launched an attack, one that's expected to hit at 11pm tonight? Why announce anything in advance?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kecske posted:

Hoping that's more the design idea rather than how they're being used in this case. IIRC Ukraine have been using similar tactics to great effect against Russian AA.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

kecske posted:

Iran has announced it's already launched missiles and drones, and no doubt they will launch more missiles as the drone swarm gets closer to Israel. It's part of the Iranian military tactics to use drones this way to overload air defences.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kin posted:

Hmm, yeah drilling holes through the concrete is starting to sound a bit beyond me to be honest.

Though the way it was explained to me by the housebuilder is that all the services utilities are in the walls rather than in the floor on ur ground floor.

Like power and water or whatever come into the wall from outside then go up the wall to the ceiling/floor level. From there it runs along the 1st floor and goes up to the sockets/radiators on that floor, but down to the sockets/radiators on the ground floor, etc.

But yeah, no cool spots or discolouration in the rooms I've seen them in hence my confusion.

In the utility room, the skirting has come away from the wall slightly due to shrinkage (this happened long before the smell), so my hunch is that's where moisture has built up because the paint has started coming off of it.

Yep, that's the room with the damp.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Lady Demelza posted:

Why announce anything in advance?

oh it's just considered etiquette when you're doing terrorism, op

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kin posted:

I have an interior wall where the paint peels off and the plaster sounds hollow when tapped. It's definitely damp, either from the floor or maybe there's a slow leak from a pipe?

crispix posted:

oh it's just considered etiquette when you're doing terrorism, op

These unspoken rules of socially expected behaviour are ableist and classist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lady Demelza posted:

I'm confused, Iran has said they've launched an attack, one that's expected to hit at 11pm tonight? Why announce anything in advance?

If the point is to make a point then you probably want the other guy to know you're doing it and it's a bigger flex if they still can't do anything about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

These unspoken rules of socially expected behaviour are ableist and classist.
"The disabled poor can blow themselves up without warning, but only in approved areas" will probably be New Labour's dignity in dying policy once Wes has got through with it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Just Another Lurker posted:

One swarm that isn`t being sold to Russia for a change. :ukraine:

One theory I had heard was that as a result of the war in Ukraine and the sanctions against Russia, Russia ended up sending a lot of money into Iran to buy drones for the war.

This money going into the Iranian war economy ends up being sent over to Hamas. Who use it to equip their soldiers for the terror attacks into Israel.
Which causes that conflict to ignite and eventually spill over into Iran. Which results in Iran sending their drones on an attack against Iran.

It's like an awful version of the water cycle or trickle-down economics, but with more death.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Or what is known as
(Woodlice)

IIRC there was a poster here who kept fancy woodlice.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it wasn't me but i do like slaters

i once did see one as big as a big toe nail

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My mam used to live around the corner from Slater Street, not sure if that was named for a famous person, or because the men who did roofing lived there, or because they just had a lot of the woodlice.

It's right between the river and the canal and all the toilets were outside so it could very well be the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Maybe it's deflection.
Maybe that's to keep the airforces occupied while a different attack is going on under the wire.