Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mainwaring posted:

There's also Erichthonius and Claudien which is confirmed, but that's a wol-azem type relationship rather than a wol-ardbert one.

Yeah, Ancient equivalents are similar but not the same thing, and those are broadly taken more seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Claudien is basically the same as Gaia

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

FuturePastNow posted:

Claudien is basically the same as Gaia

gaia specifically can't have any shards floating around except on the void, since she's an ascian and got glued back together. she is only the same as claudien in that you can go to elpis and see both of their past lives. or hear about them at least

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Cleretic posted:

Ardbert's the only shard equivalent that's not a joke, even if we count Chai-Nuzz (which I do, even if that's not explicit it's clearly a line you're supposed to draw). It's just that sometimes it's not really a purely silly thing and more of a dark irony. Like, it's not a rimshot gag that the First equivalent of the traveling merchants from the ARR opening is harsh, unwelcoming and kind of insane while the Source equivalents were very friendly and welcoming, but you are meant to find the humor in that.

But yeah, the game just doesn't do shard equivalents in a Mirror Universe style, that's just not the story we're being told. And I wrote a Cohost thing recently that I think trying to draw those connections is a work thay devalues all the characters involved; I know the jesters don't exactly have much going on, but making them Yda and Lyse shards makes them even less than that, in return for... what, the assurance that only two blond white sisters can exist in this universe?

I had never even slightly picked up on this "line" between Chai-Nuzz and Cid. Never even heard of it before. I don't really get what it would be?

Benstar
Aug 3, 2008

lines posted:

I had never even slightly picked up on this "line" between Chai-Nuzz and Cid. Never even heard of it before. I don't really get what it would be?
Cid runs Garland Ironworks, Chai-Nuzz runs Daedalus Stoneworks. Both are the premier manufacturers of industrial machinery in their respective regions.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

cid's theme also plays a lot when chai gets his mojo back, though part of that is pointing towards future g'raha and his story

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Mister Olympus posted:

gaia specifically can't have any shards floating around except on the void, since she's an ascian and got glued back together. she is only the same as claudien in that you can go to elpis and see both of their past lives. or hear about them at least

None of the sundered Ascians get "glued back together." The Unsundered find a shard and raise them up with the help of the Convocation memory crystals. Doing so doesn't affect any other shards, other than they're probably going to live their lives ignorant of the whole situation :v:.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, the Zorn/Thorn ladies are Cid/Nero. Gotcha.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ziddar posted:

None of the sundered Ascians get "glued back together." The Unsundered find a shard and raise them up with the help of the Convocation memory crystals. Doing so doesn't affect any other shards, other than they're probably going to live their lives ignorant of the whole situation :v:.

"drat, this is the fifth time Lohgrif has betrayed us... Oh well, maybe next time."

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Presumably the ones from the source like Amon also got more bits as Rejoinings happened, but who knows.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mister Olympus posted:

What? Gaia isn't an Ascian, she never got ascended. She's just a regular person who had some soul memories unlocked. She is still firmly connected to her original body. Even if she was an Ascian she would still be sundered. Ascians don't get "glued back together," sundered Ascians are just way less powerful than the unsundered.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
She is explicitly an Asian and has dialogue suggesting she may learn to travel across the rift due to her powers.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I thought Asia was wiped out on the First

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Duodecimal posted:

She is explicitly an Asian and has dialogue suggesting she may learn to travel across the rift due to her powers.

She has memories enough to maybe do that (but no interest in doing so), but 'Ascian' is a group designator, and Gaia wants no part of that group of assholes.

Calling Gaia an Ascian would be like still calling Zero Zenos' Avatar.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

i could've sworn that part of being uplifted was that they yoinked all your other shards and temporarily put you back together.

also you could describe ascian as a state of being--no fixed physical body, capable of rift travel--rather than the organization that happens to be composed entirely of ascians

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I thought Fandaniel was the only Sundered member of the Convocation, and the other Sundered Ascians were basically nameless mooks.

It's not that Lohgrif got Sundered, it's that Ardbert and friends managed to outright kill her with their own version of White Auracite, and Gaia was her reincarnation.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure they just pick a sundered shard of whatever Ascian they need that they think would be amendable to their plans and give them their past life memory.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

the_steve posted:

I thought Fandaniel was the only Sundered member of the Convocation, and the other Sundered Ascians were basically nameless mooks.

It's not that Lohgrif got Sundered, it's that Ardbert and friends managed to outright kill her with their own version of White Auracite, and Gaia was her reincarnation.

The only Unsundered were Emet, Lahabrea, and Elidibus. All the other named Ascians were uplifted sundered Convocation souls, not all of them even from the source, iirc? I think Nabriales is mentioned in EE as being from a shard. I think the black-mask mooks are recruited from random sundered collaborators without anyone's soul in particular, like the Sahagin priest who has Ascian powers in ARR.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

even I know that's not how that works

they're both the reincarnation of an ancient soul (probably not uncommon) and both have the re-awakened memories of that particular ancient (not common)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Antivehicular posted:

The only Unsundered were Emet, Lahabrea, and Elidibus. All the other named Ascians were uplifted sundered Convocation souls, not all of them even from the source, iirc? I think Nabriales is mentioned in EE as being from a shard. I think the black-mask mooks are recruited from random sundered collaborators without anyone's soul in particular, like the Sahagin priest who has Ascian powers in ARR.

Yeah, this is all right, and pretty clearly stated. Nabriales is from the Twelfth, if it matters.

The black-maskers are basically just cultists being given forbidden magic, there's nothing actually special about them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, the convocation members are found and uplifted from the Source or Shards as needed but not glued back together except via the process of a Rejoining.

One of the implied benefits of being an Ascian from a shard other than the Source is that when the rejoining happens you get to take over the combined Source version of yourself rather than be subsumed by it.

But Mitron and Lohgrif are explicitly the shards from the First ascended and given the memories from the memory crystals. Mitron explicitly states he knew the Ascians would not bother attempting to free him because they could just ascend another shard of Mitron and him being Eden was more useful to the unsundered than him being a functioning Mitron.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, each non-Unsundered is just a shard, they even can go and get a new shard if the previous one goes down which has happened before.

Also like, if the Ascians could just 'fix' Sundered then presumably they would have been doing that as their primary goal.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

ImpAtom posted:

Also like, if the Ascians could just 'fix' Sundered then presumably they would have been doing that as their primary goal.

It's explicitly their goal and they did it seven times already.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Duodecimal posted:

It's explicitly their goal and they did it seven times already.

The precise context of that statement was "outside of a Rejoining."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The creepiest 'soul parallel' in my opinion was the young miqo who serves as the "tell me what's going on with this town again?" NPC for the Eulmore slums, and who has a sort of incidental line of 'haha everything's so awful and my big sister died, so I don't really care if I live or die any more! lol!'

I'm pretty sure that character is meant to evoke Khloe.

Also, I believe Godbert and Hildebrand may have some challenges with regards to exact reincarnations, given their own heritage.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sees two children in different places "these are the same child"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Nessus posted:

The creepiest 'soul parallel' in my opinion was the young miqo who serves as the "tell me what's going on with this town again?" NPC for the Eulmore slums, and who has a sort of incidental line of 'haha everything's so awful and my big sister died, so I don't really care if I live or die any more! lol!'

I'm pretty sure that character is meant to evoke Khloe.

Also, I believe Godbert and Hildebrand may have some challenges with regards to exact reincarnations, given their own heritage.

There is absolutely nothing weird about Godbert and Hildebrand's heritages.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Waffleman_ posted:

Sees two children in different places "these are the same child"
Guy who has only seen Boss Baby: I'm getting a lot of Boss Baby vibes from this baby

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hellioning posted:

There is absolutely nothing weird about Godbert and Hildebrand's heritages.

Yeah, the punchline of that plot is the Manderville name was inherited by an adopted heir some time back, so the current Mandervilles have no alien blood and are just... Like That.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, the punchline of that plot is the Manderville name was inherited by an adopted heir some time back, so the current Mandervilles have no alien blood and are just... Like That.

It's also implied by an NPC that the Mandervilles subconsciously tap into Dynamis.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

the_steve posted:

It's also implied by an NPC that the Mandervilles subconsciously tap into Dynamis.

I mean yeah but so does everyone so that doesn't mean much.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Mandervilles Just Being Like That is funnier, so we should stick with that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That is in fact what they stuck with

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Can someone give me a brief recap of the EW Hildibrand story?

My wife and I got partially through it, but it has been like a year so I've forgotten. We unlocked the second tier of Manderville weapons - so I think that's getting through the 6.35 story?

What I remember - Hildibrand was a the First, we brought him back. There was a robot man? I don't remember who he was or what happened to him. Then alien abduction. There were a bunch of Hildibrands on the moon. I don't remember what happened after this.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Mordiceius posted:

My wife and I got partially through it, but it has been like a year so I've forgotten. We unlocked the second tier of Manderville weapons - so I think that's getting through the 6.35 story?

What I remember - Hildibrand was a the First, we brought him back. There was a robot man? I don't remember who he was or what happened to him. Then alien abduction. There were a bunch of Hildibrands on the moon. I don't remember what happened after this.

Only thing you forgot was the tabloid reporter who's almost wrong about everything.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mordiceius posted:

A rather dry recounting, but hopefully it's enough to get kick your memory in gear so you can remember the actually good stuff, because I'm not that funny.

(6.15) The robot guy is Lugae, the scientist we fight is the second boss in the Tower of Babil dungeon in Garlemald after he "upgrades" himself after we beat the first boss, his experiment. He's pissed at the WoL, and wants to use our body as a host for a new experiment to replace the one we beat. He teamed up with some guy in debt, and after Hildibrand took him out his head was jailed in Radz-at-Han. Later, there's a cutscene of someone breaking him out of jail and running off. This patch has the volleyball WoL scene.

(6.25) For the clones, they came from a faulty replicator on the alien PuPu's ship. Making up for his mistake, PuPu uses a vaporization ray to get rid of them, save for a flawed, unpredictable clone that ran away. You all chase him down and run into him and Godbert, which predictably ends up with the clone getting wrapped up in the Godbert/Hildibrand greeting thing when he tries to "save" Hildibrand from Godbert. They get thrown into PuPu's ship, which spits junk everywhere. The final clone willingly get vaporized while everyone else is helping clean up the mess. Things break there, with everyone looking for leads on PuPu's missing friend, which is the original reason he was searching around. (This is where Lugae is shown getting spirited away from jail.) No WoL sports scene this patch, as far as I remember, since we got the Manderville reunion shenanigans instead.

(6.35) Following down some leads, the crew wind up in Thavnair, and get stumped by a cold trail. Looking to help, PuPu offers to create more clones of Hildibrand, but his duplicator's completely messed up and only creates one low-poly Hildibrand that names himself Brandihild. Through some extremely complicated math that Brandihild turns out to be exceptional at calculating, it's determined that PuPu's friend ran into some trouble and got shot down somewhere in Garlemald. While trying to find more clues in the snow, Nashu gets kidnapped by Lugae, who wants the WoL. Godbert, who joined us in Thavnair, and Hildibrand run off before we get a chance to do anything, and we get to do an RP Duty as Godbert vs. Lugae. Things pause for the next patch after the fight's all settled, with the post-credits scene showing Lugae getting carried to some rich guy in an airship, where Lugae offers a "forbidden path" to victory, something concerning a "manifestation of the divine." This patch has the soccer/football/blitzball WoL scene.

Steezo posted:

Only thing you forgot was the tabloid reporter who's almost wrong about everything.

The tabloid guy really only serves as, ironically, the straight man to the humor since this time the WoL's all in on joining with the shenanigans. Otherwise he doesn't do much outside of being the quest starter/ender for each patch.

Onean fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 15, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thanks! That's very helpful.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Onean posted:

The tabloid guy really only serves as, ironically, the straight man to the humor since this time the WoL's all in on joining with the shenanigans. Otherwise he doesn't do much outside of being the quest starter/ender for each patch.

I think he does an important duty of setting the type of jokes they're doing. He 's the one that gets the ball rolling on the fact the story is about space poo poo, shadowy conspiracies, and the game's own lore, so that you're in the headspace to be looking at those places for jokes.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cleretic posted:

I think he does an important duty of setting the type of jokes they're doing. He 's the one that gets the ball rolling on the fact the story is about space poo poo, shadowy conspiracies, and the game's own lore, so that you're in the headspace to be looking at those places for jokes.

That's a fair point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Don't forget the recurring joke of all the far-flung readers of his magazine providing vital clues for the next steps of the quests.