Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arc Hammer posted:

IIRC isn't there some fluff out there that the entire Solar System got moved from the outer edge of the Orion Spur to a more central location during the Dark Age of Technology?

It wouldn't be the first time planets have been moved.

I dont think there was every any reall fluff on it but Terras location on the galaxy map is not where it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arc Hammer posted:

IIRC isn't there some fluff out there that the entire Solar System got moved from the outer edge of the Orion Spur to a more central location during the Dark Age of Technology?

It wouldn't be the first time planets have been moved.

No, Terra is just in the center of the maps. That's why Ultima segmentum is so big, the map is offset.

Dark age humanity could absolutely move a star system though

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Kvlt! posted:

Are they all the same story? Meaning if you want to read the whole thing do you have to slog through the lovely ones or is it like regular Warhammer books where they split into different stories?

The Heresy books all contribute to the same overall story, but you can skip most of the bad/mediocre ones without missing anything significant. There are some books that aren't really good but shouldn't be skipped - Fulgrim and A Thousand Sons, both by Graham McNeil, fall into this category. Neither of these is bad and they contain major plot doings, they just compare unfavorably with the books by Dan Abnett, Aaron Dempski-Bowden, Chris Wraight, and the other high-tier authors.

I think the worst books that you probably shouldn't skip are, unfortunately, False Gods and Galaxy in Flames.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you!! I appreciate the help

I'm curious as to why they're written by so many different authors. Did the original of the first ones just get tired of it eventually?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
You should definetly read some of the bigger turds to live the true Horus heresy experience, I suggest the Reflection Crack'd and Battle for the Abyss. Just try to not pay much money for them.

Ed: Warning: I take no responsability for any form of mental damage you may get.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 13, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

chainchompz posted:

Unless I grossly misread something, I like the implication that the emperor slain in the first book just happened to be the emperor of an empire on the third world from its sun in a system with the same number of planets and planetoids, and it might very well actually be Earth, whose actual location may have become mythological and lost during the DAOT.

Telsa Cola posted:

There's too many references/names/callouts for this to really make sense. It would only make sense if whoever colonized Terra named everything basically the same poo poo.

Oh it’s definitely intended to be read that way, with the reader left uncertain whether Earth and Terra are the same, and maybe our world just got forgotten and subsequently stomped by our neighbors. But it’s just a little joke by the author - Terra and Earth are definitely the same and that’s substantiated again and again.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Telsa Cola posted:

There's too many references/names/callouts for this to really make sense. It would only make sense if whoever colonized Terra named everything basically the same poo poo.

Plenty of places in the US got named after the cities in Europe and elsewhere that the immigrant settlers came from. I dunno, it's plausible to me, give it 10,000+ years and that kind of drift could happen.

It's fun in a 'could be' sort of way but I agree that it's not likely.

Edit:

Kaal posted:

Oh it’s definitely intended to be read that way, with the reader left uncertain whether Earth and Terra are the same, and maybe our world just got forgotten and subsequently stomped by our neighbors. But it’s just a little joke by the author - Terra and Earth are definitely the same and that’s substantiated again and again.

Ok, glad I wasn't too far off with remembering it.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 13, 2024

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Kvlt! posted:

I'm curious as to why they're written by so many different authors. Did the original of the first ones just get tired of it eventually?

Games Workshop / Black Library wanted to churn out the books at a pace faster than any one author could handle. It was always intended to be a collaborative effort, although it definitely wasn't always intended to sprawl into an over 70 book series :v:

I've never heard a definitive truth about what was originally planned, but the version I choose to believe is that the Heresy was sketched out as a nine-book series (three trilogies) but rapidly sprawled out when they realized how popular the books were. And I can't hate the sprawl because it resulted in a lot of great entertainment and a lot of books I can just ignore.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I read every Heresy mainline book and it was pretty harrowing, but I don't regret it.
Edit: It's a bad idea, to be clear, but I can't make myself say "I don't recommend it".

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 13, 2024

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Terra and the Emperor in Horus Rising were in fact the real Earth under all our feet and they survived the DAOT and old night as a ultra progressive and super advanced and utopian society.

And of course the expedition fleet and Luna Wolves brings them into compliance with speedy efficient death and destruction.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wiegieman posted:

Dark age humanity could absolutely move a star system though

Orks can move moons as battlestations given enough time, for Humans at their height it would be no biggie.

Also didn't they move Ullanor when it was renamed to Armageddon?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Black Griffon posted:

I read every Heresy mainline book and it was pretty harrowing, but I don't regret it.
Edit: It's a bad idea, to be clear, but I can't make myself say "I don't recommend it".

I'd say that most of the bad books are more mediocre or kinda boring than outright terrible. I would say the series is pretty decent overall with a handful of outstandingly good novels and also a handful of outstandingly bad ones.

To quote myself

Improbable Lobster posted:

Horus Rising is excellent
False Goods is okay
Galaxy in Flames is dull
Flight of the Eisenstein is dull
Fulgrim is okay
Descent of Angels is bad
Legion is great
Battle for the Abyss is bad
Mechanicum is okay
Tales of Heresy is dull
Fallen Angels is bad
A Thousand Sons is okay
Nemesis is dull
The First Heretic is great
Prospero Burns is great
Age of Darkness is dull
The Outcast Dead is okay
Deliverance Lost is bad
Know No Fear is good
The Primarchs is dull
Fear to Tread is good
Shadows of Treachery is dull
Angel Exterminautus is bad
Betrayer is great
Mark of Calth is dull
Vulkan Lives is okay
Unremembered Empire is good
Scars is great
Vengeful Spirit is good
The Damnation of Pythos is great
Legacies of Betrayal is dull
Deathfire is bad
War Without End is dull
Pharos is okay
Eye of Terra is dull
The Path of Heaven is good
The Silent War is dull
Angels of Caliban is bad
Praetorian of Dorn is good
Corax is dull
The Master of Mankind is excellent
Garro is dull
Shattered Legions is good
The Crimson King is okay
Tallarn is okay
Ruinstorm is good
Old Earth is bad
The Burden of Loyalty is dull
Wolfsbane is okay
Born of Flame is bad
Slaves to Darkness is good
Heralds of the Siege is good
Titandeath is excellent
The Buried Dagger is okay

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 13, 2024

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

From the new Custodians codex:

:getin:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
please do it GW unleash the flamewars

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

MariusLecter posted:

Terra and the Emperor in Horus Rising were in fact the real Earth under all our feet and they survived the DAOT and old night as a ultra progressive and super advanced and utopian society.

And of course the expedition fleet and Luna Wolves brings them into compliance with speedy efficient death and destruction.

They started it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also Mt. Rushmore is still around in 40k and is on Terra, its earth.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 13, 2024

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

holy poo poo

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

With a lot of licensed universes (40k, Star Wars, Star Trek, Battletech, D&D affiliates) The books tend to be spread out between writers each taking different parts of the universe. It's a way to keep the books coming out for that sweet sweet cash.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Telsa Cola posted:

They started it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also Mt. Rushmore is still around in 40k and is on Terra, its earth.

I mean the Imperial palace is literally in the Himalayas, the bit in Horus Rising is just a gag to show off how mercilessly uncaring the expedition is, no matter how familial or familiar their enemies

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Laughing Zealot posted:

God I hope this is real. Absolute perfection.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Looking forward to seeing who complains about this so I can know who’s future opinions to ignore forever.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Laughing Zealot posted:

People are gonna be so mad lol

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I dunno even know why it makes perfect sense from a lore perspective since custodes are basically hand made ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Laughing Zealot posted:

Shots loving fired.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

I dunno even know why it makes perfect sense from a lore perspective since custodes are basically hand made ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exactly, each one is a unique work of genecrafter art. This is completely appropriate.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Now give us female Emperors Children, because if there’s anyone who is not going to care an iota about fiddling with the laws of reality to allow anyone and everyone to get in on the action, it’s Slaanesh.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

Now give us female Emperors Children, because if there’s anyone who is not going to care an iota about fiddling with the laws of reality to allow anyone and everyone to get in on the action, it’s Slaanesh.

Fabius Bile already made some iirc?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Laughing Zealot posted:

:bisonyes:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

S.J. posted:

Fabius Bile already made some iirc?

Fabius made his New Men and a number of one-offs like his bodyguard Porter (who is wildly capable) and recently got a progenoid gland out of Cawl's bootleg primarch, but idk if he's done anything with it yet.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Blue Raider posted:

People are gonna be so mad lol

Well... a very prominent twitter account is apparently furious that the codex sucks, although to be fair that might just be due to a reported ton of heavy-handed nerfs.

Link is :nws: NOT loving SAFE FOR WORK :nws:

https://nitter.poast.org/MiaMalkova/status/1778564854955335927#m

S.J.
May 19, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Fabius made his New Men and a number of one-offs like his bodyguard Porter (who is wildly capable) and recently got a progenoid gland out of Cawl's bootleg primarch, but idk if he's done anything with it yet.

Could've swore at least one of them was explicitly a woman although I've only read excerpts from his books so I could be misremembering

NihilCredo posted:

Well... a very prominent twitter account is apparently furious that the codex sucks, although to be fair that might just be due to a reported ton of heavy-handed nerfs.

this is loving hilarious

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
There was a lady who basically killed her way into a warband of emperor's children and is wearing power armor in one of the fabius books might be who yet thinking of

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Nvm lol

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Benagain posted:

There was a lady who basically killed her way into a warband of emperor's children and is wearing power armor in one of the fabius books might be who yet thinking of

She's an aspiring champion of Slaanesh and is realllll close to ascending to become a daemon princess, but she's not Astartes in the slightest. All of her enhancements are straight from the Warp.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kylaer posted:

She's an aspiring champion of Slaanesh and is realllll close to ascending to become a daemon princess, but she's not Astartes in the slightest. All of her enhancements are straight from the Warp.

yeah shes an extremely powerful champion of chaos who is every bit the equal of any Astartes but she technically isn't one

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

NihilCredo posted:

Got deleted sadly.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

S.J. posted:

Could've swore at least one of them was explicitly a woman although I've only read excerpts from his books so I could be misremembering

this is loving hilarious

A bunch of his creations are women, one of whom scared Fulgrim so much he stole her away to become some kind of daemon herself.

Which is why Porter has anti-psychic organs she can turn on to kill daemons and psykers with. Porter is dangerous enough to kill a primarch.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Got deleted sadly.

It was a pic of a naked lady with the caption: you may have noticed I've been posting fewer nudes lately that's because I've been hoping gw would send me free stuff but the latest custodes rules suck so here's an rear end pic

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Benagain posted:

It was a pic of a naked lady with the caption: you may have noticed I've been posting fewer nudes lately that's because I've been hoping gw would send me free stuff but the latest custodes rules suck so here's an rear end pic

*sigh* mods new thread title

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Herassy grows from bogus rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr