Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Stux posted:

d4 shouldve made the legendaries purple or something instead of trying to keep the d3 color. having yellow rares, orange legendary and beige uniques is so awfu l lol

I can understand why it happened but it truly sucks that you get like 20 options for the colour of your character's eyes and none for item labels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

MJBuddy posted:

ARPGs don't have to be looters. It's a subgenre. Borderlands isn't an ARPG (or an AFPS or whatever nonsense).

In Blizzard's surveys for Diablo, they consider Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma ARPGs, and they're right!

are we just using arpg to mean non turn based rpg's now?

back in my day, arpg meant top down looters, hook ups were what you called the appliance guy to do, and gooning was just posting here

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tonetta posted:

back in my day, arpg meant top down looters, hook ups were what you called the appliance guy to do, and gooning was just posting here

Arpg is a loot centric game. Farm content for sweet loot.

Action adventure is the story/setting centric RPG. Starting with like Zelda.

There's crossover and that's totally ok. D4 has sweet rear end setting/music. Elden Ring has farmable armor that's way cool to wear.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the problem is the genre name was made when something as generic as "action rpg" made sense as a counter to what most rpgs were. now we're at a point where unless you say turn based ppl assume real time and the name is so broadly applicable its been reused to umbrella way more games thant he original meaning and thusly, we must return to "diablo-like"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stux posted:

the problem is the genre name was made when something as generic as "action rpg" made sense as a counter to what most rpgs were. now we're at a point where unless you say turn based ppl assume real time and the name is so broadly applicable its been reused to umbrella way more games thant he original meaning and thusly, we must return to "diablo-like"

It's about equivalent to arguing about metal genres.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

you see, metal sub genres are important because it lets me know how much screaming will be in the song, which I would like little to none of

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tonetta posted:

you see, metal sub genres are important because it lets me know how much screaming will be in the song, which I would like little to none of

Might I suggest this Taylor Swift album if you request little to no screaming?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

no, I hate her

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tonetta posted:

no, I hate her

Hmm halestorm it is then.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Stux posted:

d4 shouldve made the legendaries purple or something instead of trying to keep the d3 color. having yellow rares, orange legendary and beige uniques is so awfu l lol

In HDR I can't even tell the difference between Sacred and Ancestral, at least that issue is gone

100% legendary and unique should have been orange and purple or some poo poo though, not-color colors is dumb af

adding more ornate borders between item types for color blind people would be cool too

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

harrygomm posted:

Forza Horizon 5, the newest ARPG from Microsoft

Does Forza actually have car part drops with stats now? That sounds like it might be fun for a while.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

always fun to see an utterly clueless ideas guy come in and think they can challenge something everyone else already figured out years ago

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They have a bright future on the Diablo IV development team.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Tonetta posted:

You need some Pelican and Russian Circles in your life. Mogwai too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mogwai is excellent

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Does Forza actually have car part drops with stats now? That sounds like it might be fun for a while.
I... actually, how is it that there's not a relatively arcade-y looter-driver game with random car part drops? That actually sounds like it'd be pretty fun.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not only do cars have different stats in Horizon but there's a Battle Royale mode called Eliminator.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

~Coxy posted:

This actually excites me. Racing games can be pretty grindy sometimes so it would fit right in!

Can’t wait to target farm specific tracks for car parts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Stux posted:

“doomfunk” posted:

Stux is 100% right

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Bisse posted:

This actually excites me. Racing games can be pretty grindy sometimes so it would fit right in!

Can’t wait to target farm specific tracks for car parts.

Two The Crew MMO car games have come and gone and one is literally no longer able to be played due to servers shutting down

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Tonetta posted:

Popular titles in "Action Roleplaying Games" on Steam include Hogwarts, Fallout 4, Lost Ark, POE, Elden Ring, and Dragon's Dogma 2.

That's just the genre. It's never meant top down looters. It was literally, as Stux has said, just not turn based. Then it became, basically, RPG stats in an action game (because that genre sells, versus CRPG, which doesn't).

Genres are a marketing thing. Always have and will be. Treating this like a "but is a Taco a sandwich?" Is silly because it's all just labels to help your game sell, not an academic pursuit.

Though I appreciate the academic pursuit, and we literally have the modifier "looter" to describe Diablo, a looter ARPG.

Though as Stux said, calling it a Diablo -like is just as descriptive.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
arpgs, as in the thing referred to by 99.9% of people using the term is, and i can not stress this enough, not the same thing as going on steam and checking the action and the rpg tags and it is so incredibly wild that you are doubling down on this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you have stats, level up, and there are quests it’s an action rpg.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

If I told a random coworker 'Action RPG' they would most likely reply 'Elden Ring'. This is fine and normal, it is what those two words together strongly imply in the common tounge of man. You can call it whatever you want and clarify the confusion if it arises. 'Looter Golden Axe-like' is probably more accurate though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
should do like music genres. looter post-roguelike

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

Why are people comparing action role-playing game and arpg? They use the same words but mean different things. I'm confused lol.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Neo-demonclicker

J
Jun 10, 2001

Elden Ring is an RTS actually, because it is real time and has strategy involved

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Field Mousepad posted:

You need some Pelican and Russian Circles in your life. Mogwai too.

loving a right. Less known and more directly metallic would be If These Trees Could Talk. rear end band name, great tunes.

Now I want an arpg looter spinoff of Brutal Legend.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bisse posted:

If I told a random coworker 'Action RPG' they would most likely reply 'Elden Ring'. This is fine and normal, it is what those two words together strongly imply in the common tounge of man. You can call it whatever you want and clarify the confusion if it arises. 'Looter Golden Axe-like' is probably more accurate though.

to put this incredibly simply for you, 'arpg' is not the same thing as 'Action RPG'

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

victrix posted:

adding more ornate borders between item types for color blind people would be cool too

It has been a few years since I played POE but I remember it having the ability to do this and I thought it was super cool. Also in D4 complaints, loot text fades WAY too quickly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

to put this incredibly simply for you, 'arpg' is not the same thing as 'Action RPG'

What does the a mean then??

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

That's just the genre. It's never meant top down looters. It was literally, as Stux has said, just not turn based.

no, it definitely meant diablo-likes originally, it went diablo clones then arpgs. it start getting applied to other stuff later. this kind of dual meaning happens all the time in genres outside of games and everyone is able to comprehend and understand it and use context to decipher which meaning people are using 90% of the time.

we should probably just call them diablo likes bcos youre all too stupid, and theres prescedent w doom which also was doom clones, into fps, and then when fps became more broadly applied doom-likes or boomer shooter or retro shooter started being used to differentiate. but one would think when you are posting in a thread for specifically a diablo game you can work out what people mean when they say arpg.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

It's 'a rpg', meaning there is no difference between Diablo and FF7. I am very smart.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The a stands for rear end!!!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

MarcusSA posted:

action rpg - games like elden ring and zelda

ARPG

A - A Loot filled
R - Role
P - Playing
G - Game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

doomfunk posted:

should do like music genres. looter post-roguelike

lol i was thinking of music but in music ppl can understand that there is hardcore and hardcore, and everyone gets on with it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My dumbass take is that action RPG is broken up into a number of subgenres. Elden Ring is not the same type of action RPG as Diablo. Skyrim is a different type of action RPG from those other two games as well. People can mostly be trusted to figure out it out on their own (or im giving gamers too much credit judging by this thread apparently). Like if someone said I am looking for a good alternative to Diablo, you wouldnt get all Steam recommendations on them and recommend Dark Souls II, that would be stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

one is an acronym that is a shorthand for a specific type of game that is generally understood by 99.9% of people who play them