Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jehde posted:

That's 1 more than Shogun so far. We'll see how the last 2 shape up though.

Can you send me what you're smoking? I've been feeling way too positive about things lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The fact that I am struggling to decide which episode is supposedly the only great one.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 13, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jehde posted:

That's 1 more than Shogun so far. We'll see how the last 2 shape up though.

No matter how good a show or movie is some goon comes in the thread to say it's garbage.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

The fact that I am struggling to decide which episode is supposedly the only great one.

Cannonball episode with mushy samurai

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, the cannon thing was the biggest "holy poo poo" moment of the entire show.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The latest episode and its corresponding podcast episode have me worried a bit with how Blackthorne's arc is going.

On the one hand, I do like the oafy barbarian schtick, but it'd be nice to have this also come with some achievement and growth. Blackthorne has now been isolated and sidelined by Toranaga, and rejected by his old shipmates. In the podcast, the writers talk about how the scene in which Yabu rejects Blackthorne's offer was intended to reflect the more common reality of being a stranger in a strange land, and that Blackthorne is realizing that he has no home. Maybe the next two episodes will remedy this sinking feeling, but for now, writers, what the hell are you doing to the book's main character?

I mean, it's fine to have a character arc in which the outsider never fully fits in, because that's just what is. However, one of the charms of the original story is how resilient Blackthorne is and how he's always trying to make the best of the situation he's in -- and makes a huge effort to integrate into Japanese society. Plus, the real William Adams did pretty much that. I'm not saying we have to have the super-special foreigner teach the Japan's what's what, but c'mon, give Blackthorne a moment to impress.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 13, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe they're leaning away from his character being the identity of the viewpoint so much that they kind of just turned him into a sideline reporter.

I don't like it but I can see a studio being scared of getting anywhere close to Blackthorne: White Savior

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

A friend and I started watching Fallout and man. Its okay, which is a compliment because I figured it would be unrepentant trash. But its severely lacking the cinematic artistry of this show, which is an absence I'm afraid I'm gonna notice in a lot of shows from here on out. The two things that really stand out to me, in comparison, are the mise-en-scene and cinematography.

In Shogun the mise-en-scene is exquisite and immersive, plopping you right into 17th century Japan. The costumes are intricate and worn well, the sets feel like actual places that exists beyond the confines of the frame. In Fallout the mise-en-scene is present, and perhaps even dominating because they're trying really hard to translate a cartoony video game to the screen, but it fails to convey a sense of place. The colors of everything are bright and saturated, which normally I'm in favor of in contrast to color filters and desaturating everything (something Shogun is guilty of), but nothing is done with it. They are just bright colors for the sake of bright colors, because the vault suit blues really contrasted against the desert brown in the games. It makes the show look and feel like a cartoon, which I'm sure is part of it's goal and in that regard they succeed, but it ultimately feels to me like watching kids play with action figures.

As for cinematography, Shogun masterfully captures any given scene using the camera and blocking to tell an emotional story in parallel to the textual one. Some examples that really stood out to me being the scene with Blackthorne and Mariko in the tea house, and Mariko with Buntaro during the tea ceremony. Both of those scenes are relatively low key but simultaneously seizes you by the eyeballs and instructs you on how the characters are feeling using nothing but superb framing and subtle camera movement. Fallout, meanwhile, is flat as gently caress and blocked like a commercial most of the time. It feels like the only concern of their cinematographer is capturing coverage and making sure everyone is in frame.

It's like watching Bob Ross render beauty out of nothing with clever brush strokes and tool use with the effortless ease of a master vs one of those spray paint boardwalk artists that render quaint little celestial scenes by using pans as stencils.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I believe Toranaga has a plan, but I also believed the Cylons had a plan, so I may just be a sweetly trusting fool

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every time someone incredibly wealthy is onscreen and the front of their garment is displaying like five or six different layers of silks I'm like "ooh"

And then there's Blackthorne wearing his poo poo like a bathrobe

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I believe Toranaga has a plan, but I also believed the Cylons had a plan, so I may just be a sweetly trusting fool

Cylons are jesuits

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mauser posted:

Cylons are jesuits

They do talk a lot about the existence of a single God.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I find it funny that even among all his scheming and plotting, Toranaga still had time to troll the jesuits.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Speaking of which, I’m curious to know where the red light district and church is supposed to be in present day Tokyo. It looks like some mudflats which are all along the bay there.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Christianity gets banned in Japan within a generation.

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Dr.Radical posted:

Speaking of which, I’m curious to know where the red light district and church is supposed to be in present day Tokyo. It looks like some mudflats which are all along the bay there.

Historically, I believe the red light district is supposed to be Yoshiwara, and was originally founded near modern-day Nihonbashi in Tokyo; it was moved in 1656 to a location north of Asakusa, roughly corresponding to Senzoku 4-Chōme in Taitō-ku, with the old location burning down the following year, along with most of the city.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dr.Radical posted:

have you seen the martin scorsese movie, silence

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Does the whole Macao thing they mentioned earlier in the season come into play at all?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BoldFace posted:

Does the whole Macao thing they mentioned earlier in the season come into play at all?

It already did (but may again, depending on where everything settles by the end of this war): it was the reveal that the Portuguese are taking converted Japanese Christians (I presume samurai, but if not then they're training civilians) out of the country and using them as their own personal army, loyal to the Church and a foreign power rather than Japan or any Japanese Lord. That's a pretty huge loving deal and demonstrates that the unease some have had over the growing influence of the Church is pretty warranted, especially as at least 3 of the Regents at the start of the show were under the Church's influence to some degree.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There was something intresting I realized with Blackthorne and the Portuguese. He's adapting, he's learning not just the language but the customs. He dresses Japanese, eats their food and has taken a part in their social structure. The Portoguese, they still live as Europeans. They wear their somber black clothing, they live in European settings, eat European food in a European way. They just burst in and assume the Japanese will just completely change their way to doing things. I mean that's a very early modern catholic way of thinking; no, its everyone else that's wrong.

Tankbuster posted:

Christianity gets banned in Japan within a generation.

I hope Mariko gives it up before she's boiled alive by being thrown into a thermal vent

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Something jumped out at me during Mariko & Toranaga's freestyle battle:

If I could use words
like scattering flowers and falling leaves,
what a bonfire my poems would make.

Seems like one of the writers is a Spike Milligan fan.

If I could write words
Like leaves on an autumn forest floor,
What a bonfire my letters would make.

If I could speak words of water,
You would drown when I said
"I love you."

https://allpoetry.com/If-I-Could-Write-Words

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

have you seen the martin scorsese movie, silence

You know what I meant, goofus

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

The Portoguese, they still live as Europeans. They wear their somber black clothing, they live in European settings, eat European food in a European way. They just burst in and assume the Japanese will just completely change their way to doing things. I mean that's a very early modern catholic way of thinking; no, its everyone else that's wrong.

This seems ahistorical to me, since 1600 is still well within the era of Jesuit missionaries who were willing to use the local customs to gain access and influence in East Asia and highly educated and good at what they did. It's the 1700s when the Jesuits are being banned from European colonial missions for being too wealthy, too educated and too native.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah portuguese had a nasty habit of going native in less restrictive polities than feudal japan.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arglebargle III posted:

This seems ahistorical to me, since 1600 is still well within the era of Jesuit missionaries who were willing to use the local customs to gain access and influence in East Asia and highly educated and good at what they did. It's the 1700s when the Jesuits are being banned from European colonial missions for being too wealthy, too educated and too native.

Japan just got a head start on it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

These Japanese guys seem a bit dour and repressed.

Buntaro seems confused about his relationship with his wife.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 15, 2024

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Buntaro got that unaddressed PTSD from slaughtering his way across Korea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arglebargle III posted:

Yea, within the story is works but its not historical. I mean Cavell changes names for a new reasons, not only because he thought Tokugawa would be hard to pronounce, but somehow Torinaga is? It lets him do stuff that isn't historically accurate.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, within the story is works but its not historical. I mean Cavell changes names for a new reasons, not only because he thought Tokugawa would be hard to pronounce, but somehow Torinaga is? It lets him do stuff that isn't historically accurate.

People have been pronouncing Japanese names wrong since about 1600. Don't assume we are capable of figuring it out without it being dumbed down.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

The latest episode and its corresponding podcast episode have me worried a bit with how Blackthorne's arc is going.

On the one hand, I do like the oafy barbarian schtick, but it'd be nice to have this also come with some achievement and growth. Blackthorne has now been isolated and sidelined by Toranaga, and rejected by his old shipmates. In the podcast, the writers talk about how the scene in which Yabu rejects Blackthorne's offer was intended to reflect the more common reality of being a stranger in a strange land, and that Blackthorne is realizing that he has no home. Maybe the next two episodes will remedy this sinking feeling, but for now, writers, what the hell are you doing to the book's main character?

I mean, it's fine to have a character arc in which the outsider never fully fits in, because that's just what is. However, one of the charms of the original story is how resilient Blackthorne is and how he's always trying to make the best of the situation he's in -- and makes a huge effort to integrate into Japanese society. Plus, the real William Adams did pretty much that. I'm not saying we have to have the super-special foreigner teach the Japan's what's what, but c'mon, give Blackthorne a moment to impress.

I do have concerns about how the ending is going to land considering a lot of the foundation supporting it has been omitted.

The love story, while deep cringe at points and arguably not super well earned for how wildly in love they become, does pay off in how absolutely wrecked blackthorne is in the ending. In the show we've cut all of that down to a one night stand and mild wistful might-have-been feelings.

The idea of blackthorne ending up as toranaga's friend has also been pretty badly undercut by the show invention of blackthorne betraying toranaga. There is no way that poo poo would fly, book blackthorne's basically consistent loyalty is the reason he isn't killed and even then it's a close call at various points

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

the way i see the loyalty thing, is toranaga is coming to understand blackthorne's model of loyalty, where he's genuinely loyal enough to actually stand up and say "you're being an idiot", it'll all come down to how blackthorne reacts when it comes out that this was all according to toranaga's plan. also still a little time for the romance to heat up.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

the way i see the loyalty thing, is toranaga is coming to understand blackthorne's model of loyalty, where he's genuinely loyal enough to actually stand up and say "you're being an idiot", it'll all come down to how blackthorne reacts when it comes out that this was all according to toranaga's plan. also still a little time for the romance to heat up.

(really large spoilers) I can see them squeezing one or two more scenes in, but a little time ain't kidding considering the episode descriptions for 9 and 10 in the hulu app seem to strongly suggest mariko is dying tonight

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 15, 2024

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Book spoilers:
I've been waiting this whole show for the Blackthorne sepukku scene because that's when he *gets it*. But I can understand how it may not translate so well in the show. Until this last episode when he sees his old shipmate there wasn't really a scene where it seemed like he really preferred the Japans to Euro life.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think more than half Yabu's lines in this episode were grunts of some kind, and all of them were gold

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Absolutely incredible.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Whelp

I love how polite samurai are before they kill each other. A polite bow to apologize for the fact that his master has ordered their deaths, and then swoosh! swaaap! Then carefully put away your sword

MikeC fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 16, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

A chef's kiss. Banger scenes wall to wall

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

twistedmentat posted:

I hope Mariko gives it up before she's boiled alive by being thrown into a thermal vent

I have good news and bad news.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think this is probably the goat costume among the goat costumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy goddamn poo poo :stare:

I can't believe after next week there's no more, this series is amazing.