Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

BastardySkull posted:

Has anyone been getting really variable performance on PC recently? Its a poorly optimised game but it feels like FPS spikes have got far worse.

No but anecdotally the games have been very stable for me. I ran into only four types of bugs.

The black screen on login from a while back (think that was netcode? It's fixed now at least)

An issue where i couldnt stay in a game with another goon but i think that was regional isp thing tbh

A very occasional CTD that hasnt happened since last few patches

And sometimes a freeze when quitting the game. Also hasn't happened in weeks.

Are you using the F5 diagnostics to troubleshoot? Maybe it'll give a hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

ZeusCannon posted:

I ran into only four types of bugs.

You need to play on higher difficulty settings if you want to see more.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

BastardySkull posted:

Has anyone been getting really variable performance on PC recently? Its a poorly optimised game but it feels like FPS spikes have got far worse.

I was capped at 60 so my fans weren’t screaming at launch. But lately as the hordes increase I’m looking at 38fps during hectic extracts.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TescoBag posted:

You need to play on higher difficulty settings if you want to see more.

Thanks for the inspiration

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Insert name here posted:

It's every time you spawn in, and it's because every weapon when you spawn has a chambered +1 round, even those that can't normally have it.

Huh, guess I just haven't notifed with other weapons. Should be pretty noticeable on eruptor and senator and a few others. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

On the topic of crashes: I legit don't think I've had one since this most recent patch and clearing out my shaders folder. Granted I still run into the bug where I won't get more people joining on the second or third mission of a trio so sometimes I restart the game after every match. And I'm always host recently so I haven't hit any weird connection issue bugs. People dropping from my matches might be but that could also easily be gamer salt and general connection issues.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The grenade pistol is pretty great as expected. It's nowhere near as good as impacts but it kills striders and pops fabricators which is good enough to pick a not-plasma primary and spare more impacts for heavy devs.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

I do like the eruptor but I don’t like how it fucks up my master of all trades general loadout without sacrificing something. If I take it and anti tank, I lose out on my ability to deal with with small swarms. If I take something like a stalwart I lose out on AT, I can sacrifice an eagle slot for EATs but the main strength of eats is that you call them on cooldown and always have one ready.

I suspect this things strengths lie in a good team that gels well.

I got pretty good with it and definitely dominated in kills for the goon team I was on but I definitely felt being at the whim of my teammates when dealing with chargers and I’m so used to being “that guy” that it made me feel very “naked”.

Makes a great dedicated spewer killer though as I was clearing them as fast as I could reload and often the bugs near them as well.

my preferred bug loadout is now eruptor, arc thrower, dagger, stun grenades, laser dog, and EATS

its an insane loadout that lets you kill anything the bugs can throw at you and keeps you from ever running out of ammo. one of the first times using it, i got over 800 kills

i know some ppl will recommend taking a quasar instead of the arc + EATs but that will severely limit your ability to clear hordes while making you slightly better at fighting chargers and titans. ime, the eruptor and arc thrower can still damage and put pressure on those hard targets if EATs are on cooldown

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Insert name here posted:

It's every time you spawn in, and it's because every weapon when you spawn has a chambered +1 round, even those that can't normally have it.

Two shots, with no reload in between, on a single shot grenade pistol is :getin:.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, so am I crazy or did they mix up the Eruptor and the Explosive Crossbow?

Like, pretend you're telling me about the new warbond, right? Yeah, it's got two new explosive primaries, a crossbow and a rifle. One of em has a small clip and lets you fire almost as fast as you pull the trigger, and shoots small explosive rounds. The other one shoots larger explosives, but there's a long delay after each shot as you load another round into the weapon.

Which one would you assume was the rifle, and which would you assume was the crossbow?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Sure, if you ignore describing the part that it's a giant fuckoff bore bolt action anti-material rifle.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

TheMostFrench posted:

Trying to find more reasons to use the ballistic shield only to discover that it gets put away after using a stim, and you need to switch weapons before it will come out again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x56_isjMqJw&t=34s

you didn't upload the best bits :negative:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

darnon posted:

Sure, if you ignore describing the part that it's a giant fuckoff bore bolt action anti-material rifle.

You mean the same way every single advertisement for the warbond ignored describing the part that it would be a giant fuckoff bore bolt-action anti-material rifle?

It just struck me as funny, is all, they have exactly the opposite characteristics that I'd expected.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Baiard posted:

lmao apparently the new eagle upgrade causes cluster bomb to drop an extra regular airstrike bomb, so now clusters can destroy fabricators

I was wondering what the gently caress is going on, this makes sense now

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BastardySkull posted:

Yeah. 3070 here for what it's worth.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Joel says gently caress you! 100%? More like 200% dipshits!

https://i.imgur.com/RI9mwmy.mp4

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Infinitum posted:

We all knew this was going to happen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
making me want to go awol and kill bugs

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

menkent more like getbent

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The fire tornadoes must feed.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

wait did they reset menkent to 0%? wtf

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

I loving love Hellmire Menkent unironically.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Strong Sauce posted:

wait did they reset menkent to 0%? wtf

They launched a defence order on it, so we have to win the defence or it'll get reset back down to 50%.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Menkent's not doing so hot right now, but Lesath's almost done so there'll probably be a big influx in the next 2 hours or so.

Unless everyone runs off to fight bugs instead of doing Menkent again.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Infinitum posted:

I hate bot hellmire so drat much, I had to drop to 7s on menkent to keep my sanity

Owlbear Camus posted:

making me want to go awol and kill bugs

:same: I could be cruising through bug9s like a hot knife through butter but I'm throwing myself into menkent, fml

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

man me and my group have been doing difficulty 9 bug missions without too much going wrong, whereas bots on 8 just kick our rear end. usually we fall into a death spiral when going for the gunship factories

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's funny that they fixed the damage display for explosive weapons right before introducing 3 new explosive weapons, but gave one of them a new damage mechanic (eruptor fragments) that makes it do 2-3x the listed damage in the right circumstances.

This is based on it taking 1 eruptor shot and 3 crossbow shots to kill a spore tower, so we can guess that against a big soft target that eats up to half the fragments it's actually doing 800-1200

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

hey mom its 420 posted:

man me and my group have been doing difficulty 9 bug missions without too much going wrong, whereas bots on 8 just kick our rear end. usually we fall into a death spiral when going for the gunship factories

For gunship factories

Take a moment, breathe, get all on the same page, one person needs to be heading for it to hellbomb, the other three have to annihilate the gunships as they are launching, once the first wave of 2/4 gunships is down, march in to support the hellbomb deployer, and just keep the gunships suppressed.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
So the crossbow is completely worthless to buy? There was a single post a few pages ago that mentioned it doesn't even blow up bug holes.

I bought the barrage spread reduction upgrade and I actually kinda like the barrages now. The 120mm is nearly so accurate you can actually use it reactively rather than just preemptively.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Baiard posted:

So the crossbow is completely worthless to buy? There was a single post a few pages ago that mentioned it doesn't even blow up bug holes.

I bought the barrage spread reduction upgrade and I actually kinda like the barrages now. The 120mm is nearly so accurate you can actually use it reactively rather than just preemptively.

The crossbow is what I was most hyped for in the warbond but it's incredibly disappointing. Not only is the damage very low, the projectile arc makes it fall to the ground like 25m away from you - you can't even effectively snipe with it. And I say that as someone who generally does very well with arcing bullet drop - I was cross-map sniping things with the old slugger all the time.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Crossbow is... anemic for where it is in the warbond

It isn't completely junk but... ehh

I may try it against some bugs in the future, I think it might see better results there.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

FunkyFjord posted:

Huh, guess I just haven't notifed with other weapons. Should be pretty noticeable on eruptor and senator and a few others. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

On the topic of crashes: I legit don't think I've had one since this most recent patch and clearing out my shaders folder. Granted I still run into the bug where I won't get more people joining on the second or third mission of a trio so sometimes I restart the game after every match. And I'm always host recently so I haven't hit any weird connection issue bugs. People dropping from my matches might be but that could also easily be gamer salt and general connection issues.
Actually now that you mention it, I don't think it happens to the Senator? So I was wrong it's not all, but I do know it happens with the GL pistol, the Punisher/Slugger (despite the fact that you actually SHOULD be able to chamber a round in those, you can't normally), and IIRC the Scorcher (will have to double check that one).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I think my only complaint about the game is not having a filter for people who use mics and people who don’t

It’s so boring dealing with idiots running off and saying nothing. I can tolerate people using pings, but pings can’t replace a “Hey, you’ve got a Hulk coming up behind you”

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

On the other hand, in online gaming, the ratio of voice chat users is something like 1 normal person using it to communicate things about the game to 100 screaming children/open mic coughers/insufferable assholes/weirdos. so I keep voice chat off :shrug:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Baiard posted:

It doesn't (and it should) but other than that it's a lot like a slower grenade launcher. It's not bad at all.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I don't have people automatically muted and haven't ran across that many insufferable children. I have run across a couple of ps5 people who had their controller mix on which is always hilarious and gets muted immediately, a couple of bros shouting across rooms at each other which is the same as above. Mostly I run across people who are either intermitenly mouth breatjing or sighing as they die and thats the only voice I hear (so mute) or people who start communicating through voice and then switch over to chat when they see I'm using chat.

Definitely personal experience bias but I largely don't run across annoying or toxic people over mic. And its super easy to mute them when I do, or kick and block them if they're actually being annoying and toxic on purpose whenever I'm hosting.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I mean, I get why they would want the first page weapon to be a winner. It promotes purchase of the warbond. But they really need to make the final weapon a great one, too. And none of the warbonds since the first one that is free have really done that. And arrowhead's overall armor stat strategy seems to be decided by random rolls of a d20.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

tehinternet posted:

I think my only complaint about the game is not having a filter for people who use mics and people who don’t

It’s so boring dealing with idiots running off and saying nothing. I can tolerate people using pings, but pings can’t replace a “Hey, you’ve got a Hulk coming up behind you”

I completely agree with this in a closed circuit, among like minded people/friends situation.

johnny park posted:

On the other hand, in online gaming, the ratio of voice chat users is something like 1 normal person using it to communicate things about the game to 100 screaming children/open mic coughers/insufferable assholes/weirdos. so I keep voice chat off :shrug:

... but then there is this reality. Multiplayer gaming has always been very close to the surface of the internet cesspool. Been trained over the years that, on average, it's not worth it to allow open mic communication with randoms. I can be pretty loud/emotive/goofy on comms and absolutely don't want to afflict strangers with that, either. This is absolutely not a shared or even recognized sentiment among the majority, feels like. :v:

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Yeah there's no way in hell I'm gonna speak or listen to internet randoms. When I get a good group where everyone is tagging and generally competent it's really not that different from when I'm playing with friends on voice comms.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Apple Craft posted:

I mean, I get why they would want the first page weapon to be a winner. It promotes purchase of the warbond. But they really need to make the final weapon a great one, too. And none of the warbonds since the first one that is free have really done that. And arrowhead's overall armor stat strategy seems to be decided by random rolls of a d20.

Isn't the Dominator on the last page? That one is real good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
As long as I can also filter for push-to-talk users only, then I'm all in.

raverrn posted:

Isn't the Dominator on the last page? That one is real good now.

Sure for new users/purchasers. I had not considered that. It's going to be hard to keep up with balance changes. Or rather, I guess what I mean is my judgement is forever going to be colored by the state the weapon was in when it was released. Perhaps that's my problem, not Arrowhead's.

Apple Craft fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 14, 2024