Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Indoor Dying posted:

I have an account and have gotten Pax before but they are still saying HOLD ON

I have Medicaid so I will again be brought to that screen that says I need a prescription first but I am contacting test2treat to get a prescription lol lmao

Oh, you can just ignore that it turns out - it's an empty threat / preparing you for 4/17 when COVID is OVER. Just hit next and it's still regular test2treat without any hurdles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Oh, you can just ignore that it turns out - it's an empty threat / preparing you for 4/17 when COVID is OVER. Just hit next and it's still regular test2treat without any hurdles.

Ok thanks. Yes, I was able to continue filling everything out. I'm glad this isn't confusing at all in the very least!!!!

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Anyone know which pestilence is going around with a sudden hoarse cough and loss of voice for 2 days? Asking for a friend

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hellotoothpaste posted:

Anyone know which pestilence is going around with a sudden hoarse cough and loss of voice for 2 days? Asking for a friend

CDC is investigating a potential link to #dogs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Chat, I need your input on something.

O.K. so everyone is familiar with this comic, yes?

Here is an update that you may not have seen:

That is because it is from all of eight days ago.

My question is: do you think that the server is masked in the update simply to match the medical professional in the first, or is the mask now a visual signifier of the help?

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

I wonder what GarfEATS or whatever has to say about that slanderous comic

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
When I woke up this morning my eyes were all red and gummy. Now where have I heard discussion about that symptom recently ..... oh yeah:

NeonPunk posted:

Oh I see now

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4941897/

The bird flu prefer to latch on those particular receptor that birds have in their lungs, but we humans don't have those in our lungs at all. But we do have those receptor in our eyes. That's why the guy only had conjunctivitis as his only symptoms.

LOL I jinxed myself:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The weather's turned colder here in Australia and the wild birds I feed in my backyard all just got a lot needier. One of them actually perched on my hand this morning to nibble on a piece of fruit. :3:

I'm probably going to be patient zero if bird flu hits Australia

(I just slept bad, I don't actually think I have bird flu)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

When I woke up this morning my eyes were all red and gummy. Now where have I heard discussion about that symptom recently ..... oh yeah:

LOL I jinxed myself:

(I just slept bad, I don't actually think I have bird flu)

What the gently caress don't touch wild birds

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

mycomancy posted:

no

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

mycomancy posted:

how else will they become domesticated birbs?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Platystemon posted:

My question is: do you think that the server is masked in the update simply to match the medical professional in the first, or is the mask now a visual signifier of the help?

masks on public-facing employees are the most noticeable but there's probably just as many in the backroom office jobs where you have to sit within 10 feet of someone who's coughing all the time and refuses to take a sickday

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
god imagine toyching a wild animal thats so gross. puke

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's Australia's favourite pastime!! Aussies love messing around with wild animals

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Psycho Society posted:

god imagine toyching a wild animal thats so gross. puke

You're a danger to them too. Our microbiome can be harmful to wild animals.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
friend is going out having threesome sex while wearing an N95

that’s some dedication I didn’t even know was possible

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am down to 2 rapid tests that expire in July. Wondering what the current thread advice is on tests for at home (not Cue)?

Figuring I'll probably pick up some of the Metrix tests as I already have the reader, is direct from Aptitude the way to go?

hellotoothpaste posted:

My ex's partner seems to have had this and I feel like it's worked it's way to me via our shared child, not actually that bad yet (knocking on wood over here), but I do have a sore throat and congestion - feels like the first time I've been sick absent stomach bugs since Oct 2022 best I can recall. Haven't tested positive for covid yet but plan to test again tomorrow morning.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

It's Australia's favourite pastime!! Aussies love messing around with wild animals

She looks just like my old boss and its really freaking me out.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

She looks just like my old boss and its really freaking me out.

calm down

it's her

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Platystemon posted:

Chat, I need your input on something.

In this case obviously the former since everything about that character (skin and hair color, hairstyle, clothes color, the words she’s saying) is the same between strips.

Steve Yun posted:

friend is going out having threesome sex while wearing an N95

that’s some dedication I didn’t even know was possible
I could grasp the concept for one-on-one sex, but for a threesome that seems like a significant handicap

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Unless trends somehow magically reverse themselves, the US is gonna end up with endemic measles.:

quote:

Measles cases in the first quarter of 2024 have increased more than 17-fold over the cases seen in the first quarters of 2000 to 2023. Measles vaccination rates among kindergarteners have slipped in that time, too, with vaccination coverage in the last three consecutive years below the 95 percent target that is needed to prevent sustained transmission. Outside the US, measles cases are exploding in the wake of pandemic-related disruptions to routine childhood vaccination programs. Altogether, the conditions are prime for measles to regain its foothold in the country—and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is clearly anxious.

On the hellscape of Twitter I got this link from, one of the top replies confidently stated “Ivermectin will cure it, the Measles is only a mild skin rash anyway” and was followed by a string of bots hocking horse paste. Other CHUDs are blaming it on illegals. Cool, cool cool cool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Timor-Leste was supposedly free from rabies but they just had a confirmed human fatality at the end of March and 29 other suspected human cases. They've swung into action to try and contain it but there's a lot of stray dogs in that country and they don't have much of a stockpile of human rabies vaccines

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease-outbreak-news/item/2024-DON513

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The new emergent hellworld paradigm where it's considered crazy and pathological to worry about or protect yourself from any one disease harming you because there's so many others that are also prevalent

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
ACTIVE THREAT: I am going to start recklessly treating people in a violent way by not telling them if there happens to be a crippling vascular disease spreading through their vicinity.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
I will do that to people purely for the prank value!

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

maxwellhill posted:

I will do that to people purely for the prank value!

if they ask about your mask just lie that you're immunocompromised, keep the prank going

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

Unless trends somehow magically reverse themselves, the US is gonna end up with endemic measles.:

On the hellscape of Twitter I got this link from, one of the top replies confidently stated “Ivermectin will cure it, the Measles is only a mild skin rash anyway” and was followed by a string of bots hocking horse paste. Other CHUDs are blaming it on illegals. Cool, cool cool cool.

lol that article is blaming lockdowns for the spread of measles

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Suicide is on the rise for young Americans, with no clear answers

quote:

Warning: contains upsetting material.

[…]

Brody, a computer science student, says he's aware of the help available from emails the university sends out frequently.

"They're putting more of an emphasis on mental health problems," he says.

Other universities, across many different states, are experiencing a similar trend. And suicide is now the second-leading cause of death among Americans under the age of 35, according to the Centers for Disease Control, America's health protection agency.

The Covid pandemic could be a contributing factor, says Dr Christine Crawford, a psychiatrist and associate medical director at the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

"It caused this significant hit on our young people in terms of acquiring the social skills and tools that they need," she says. "They were at home, they were disconnected from their peers and from the elements that are so critical for healthy development in a young person."

Young people who spend a lot of time "wrapped up" in their gadgets are constantly bombarded with images of war and polarising political messages, which can lead to anxiety and depression, according to Dr Crawford.

In December 2021, the US surgeon general issued a rare public health advisory on the rising number of youth attempting suicide, singling out social media and the pandemic, which had "exacerbated the unprecedented stresses young people already faced".

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I knew it! It’s that dang social media that’s at the root of it all! That and the lockdowns! Everyone would be happy otherwise!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
*Constructs society that dramatically limits the hopes and futures of young people* The problem here is that they are aware of this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The “in December 2021” detail is pretty damning, too.

But I do want to give a nod to the grieving mother for having a better read on the situation than any of the professionals.

quote:

Back at the Salas family home, Katherine agrees young people are struggling with financial pressures.

"Every safety net that past generations had has been taken away. I think that a lot of young people feel very insecure about what their future holds for them," she says.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Going to become a darling of cable news by blaming social media for young people’s confusion on Israel’s right to defend itself and the post pandemic absenteeism crisis.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think I found the research they’re going to use

https://x.com/jennsun/status/1779247283579814261?s=46

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/acrossthemersey/status/1779579139294441843?s=46

even if you’re not concerned about getting infected through beef it might be a good time to stock up on some before the prices skyrocket

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Vietnamese billionaire sentenced to death for massive fraud, to the tune of 3% of the country’s GDP

Good to see that she’s taking health seriously at least. Wouldn’t want to get sick before your execution!

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Apr 14, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cross-posting my #InsaneScreed from the biosphere collapse thread

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm not having kids but that's not really because I'm an antinatalist.

A kid born today will turn 18 in 2042. Imagine graduating highschool into a world that is clearly, visibly, irreversibly and undeniably hosed. Cities getting swept by wildfire and hurricanes and loss of ground water (or water tables totally poisoned by chemicals or saltwater infiltration) so regularly that building new things to last or settling anywhere seems like a waste of time. If you live somewhere "safe" it'll be flooded with climate refugees by then. If you don't, you're going to be like an Okie with your family. Imagine putting your first foot on the ground on the road toward some future life and stepping on a nail. That's going to be the experience for most kids graduating highschool in 2042. Rich countries probably won't be internally collapsing by then, but the number of homeless and dispossessed is going to be in the millions by that point, and any bit of bad luck with your life or a big weather event and you go into the grinder. The people with reserves will be able to weather that a bit, but young people will be flowing into prison camps, homeless encampments, and graves at rates that haven't been seen since the early 1800s.

A kid born today will turn 40 in 2064. Imagine having a midlife crisis in a world in which famine in the developed world is not just something that can happen but something that happens quite regularly. Every two, three years a bunch of poor people in supposedly rich countries will die of malnutrition. Maybe the US will hang on a little longer than this because of how deep the ag production here is, but it's going to be extremely hard times and Europe is going to be totally hosed by this point. Imagine thinking about having your own kids in a world in which you're not sure you're going to be able to feed them consistently enough that they'll make it to adulthood. Imagine comforting a child when their body starts to shut down because it's trying to grow and it's burning all its reserves, but you can't get enough calories for them. Imagine feeling your body start to decline in middle age knowing that you will never be able to stop working because if you can't work you go in the grinder. Imagine knowing that this isn't just your problem; the zeitgeist of everyone except the rich elite has become one of utter, defeated despair. Every person you talk to or interact with on a daily basis at this point is thinking the same poo poo: when is my number going to get punched? When is my family going to be made homeless? When is the day going to come when the food is going to stop showing up at the grocery store and never start again? And that's a best case. A lot of people aren't going to have the luxury of existential crisis: they'll be dying or suffering deprivation on the way to dying.

A kid born today will turn 65 in 2089. Or will they? Natural life expectancy in the US today would put a kid born today living until 2090 or 2100, but most kids born today aren't going to make it that far. If you have a kid right now, you're pretty much accepting (whether you know it or not) that the life you create will suffer and probably die of disease, climate disaster, starvation, or violence years if not decades before their time. But if they do turn 65, they will look out at a world that is in the midst of a transition into a new climate and atmospheric regime under which industrial civilization may not be possible anymore - and the billions of lives still relying on that civilization may not be possible either. Everything they ever knew, the places, the people, the food, the music, will be coming to a series of shockingly abrupt ends around them by then. After a lifetime of struggle just to survive, they will face a world not just in decline but in total collapse.

And all through this time, they will face a society that won't (and can't) come to terms with the situation and try do better. A high-energy capitalistic political economy is not compatible with the kind of change needed to even make an attempt at staving off the disaster. "Doing better" enough to prevent the onrushing disaster isn't really possible at all at this point, but it would provide a nice sense of unity and purpose which goes a long way toward making suffering and struggle tolerable. But kids born now won't have that. They'll have a collapsing neoliberal demon society that will never, ever stop lying to its members en masse as long as the organs that produce the lies continue to function. They'll be lied to, silenced, propagandized, and have any effort they make undermined at every turn. They'll see the homeless murdered and be told first that it never happened and then that it was a necessary evil and finally that it was Good Actually. They'll face the collapse of their material circumstances and be shouted down that actually everything's going well and you shouldn't ask for better. And that's just the kind of poo poo that'll happen in the developed world; they'll still be seeing news about mass death in poor equatorial countries that will dwarf anything any human has ever seen. Whole cities of people who died in freak weather events in a matter of hours or days, whole countries starving to death in a matter of weeks by the end of the century. And then right after seeing that, they'll hear about how net zero is right around the corner - or even that it's already been achieved and everything is great and you're a doomer if you think otherwise. They'll be jailed if they say genocide is bad. They'll be shot if they protest about it.

So I'm not having a kid because while my life is still livable and will be for a while, they would have only a distant memory of that kind of life to taunt them as they descend into hell.

anyway

Shiroc posted:

*Constructs society that dramatically limits the hopes and futures of young people* The problem here is that they are aware of this

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

nice, 15 minutes from me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS