Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Nichael posted:

Foundation just makes it obvious that all shows should cast Lee Pace.

Oooh, I really liked him in Halt and Catch Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

busalover posted:

Oooh, I really liked him in Halt and Catch Fire.

:same:

and I still remember and love him from Wonderfalls

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Nix Panicus posted:

Fallout main quests have always been kinda garbage

Liam Neeson's second only to Patrick Stewart in the "Bethesda wasted their opportunity with this actor" dept. At least Terence Stamp got to toss out some villainous monologuing in Oblivion - Neeson wasn't given a single line that wasn't boring. Yet I played FO3 for hundreds of hours. Truly a land of et cetera

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

:same:

and I still remember and love him from Wonderfalls

also this post is phrased like it's weird to still remember Wonderfalls, when it's one of my favorite shows ever and one everybody should watch despite being a one-season only, twenty year old show

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In Training posted:

I started watching the rehearsal and its a little bit over designed and less funny than Nathan for you but the structure+craft is awe inspiring.

It has one of the most incredible gags I have ever seen the slide age-up and for that it is a 10/10 to me

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Canticle for Liebowitz really took a turn 2/3 in to die on the hill of the anti-Suicide doctrine of the Catholic Church in the most perverse way. I understand using the most extreme example possible and then defending it, but it just seemed comically out of touch. Having a priest insulting people for wanting euthanasia to not spend their last hour of life in crippling rad sickness before death, and then when it’s his turn powering through sheer willpower and virtue.

In reality anyone in real pain like that is just begging for death over and over with no real volition and it just came across like the author had never been in real pain in his life rather than a valid defense of any doctrine.

However, learning that the author did end up killing himself a few years after writing it I’ve come around to thinking that whole section was just him trying to psych himself up to not commit suicide so I have more respect for it. Still Chronicle for Liebowitz would make a better movie.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Saw Love Lies Bleeding. Great movie, more weird kinda exploitation films

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Al! posted:

lol steve martin hustles a bunch of black teens at basketball, perfect 90s

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

Every three years, and they mention there was a failed harvest and many people died of starvation so the crew is all new people they hadnt met before. Each vault holds 1000 people. That part is fine, nothing wrong there

That still raises the issue of their incuriosity about the vault. Presumably when someone moves into another vault it's a lifetime settlement, so they'd want to know about the people they grew up with. What have they been doing lately? Who survived the grain blight? Did Mrs. Thompson ever find the laser cutter that I hid in her toilet? Nobody asks any questions or tries to go into the other vault except for the brother, who does it because apparently he's the only person in the entire vault who's curious about the only other part of their entire world.

Moldaver and her crew would have had to be communicating with Vault 33 for a while to set up their cover story and a lot can be inferred from that. It's a mystery how the vault 32 dwellers found out the truth about the experiment, but if Moldaver had contacted them through the speaker at the entrance door they could have learned that way and destroyed themselves. So Moldaver and her crew could have moved in during the two year interval since 32's dwellers all killed themselves, but they didn't do anything to clean up the bodies or the rest of the vault? They should have at least done that much to maintain the cover story about the grain blight. If anybody stops acting like a cartoon character and acts like an actual person then the whole scenario unravels. It would've made more sense if most of the episode shows them being super excited about the wedding swap, and then the raiders surprise attack them through the door. Otherwise what we get are bad jokes and rape under false pretenses.

quote:

It starts coming apart in the later episodes when they get bored of some plot threads and have trouble landing some of the big ideas. The show is at its best when its about side quests and wandering the wasteland, so in that way it does stay true to its roots. Fallout main quests have always been kinda garbage

Yes the side stuff is actually interesting. The stuff about Vault 4 is the best episode in the season, which is why the show should have been set anywhere else in the United States instead of retreading old ground just to blow it up and not do anything with it.

This is also admittedly another nitpick, but the entrance to Vault 4 is sticking out of the sand like a sore thumb. Wouldn't the Brotherhood have noticed it? Vaults are all full of high tech junk, and Vault 4 specifically is populated with mutant freaks that the Brotherhood loves genociding. They should've cracked it open like a mirelurk a long time ago. The show has way more problems than how it's inconsistent with the lore or any other nerd gripes, characters and factions act inconsistently with themselves. It creates situations and scenarios that don't make sense because there's no effort made to think about the implications and how anything fits within the wider world. It's Game of Thrones when they ran out of books to adapt, only we're starting over from Square One like it's a Brian Herbert original.

Yes I know that the games are tonally inconsistent and have bad or dumb jokes. I know all of that. People were complaining about the pop culture references in the original Fallout before Fallout 3 was released. But the Fallout games are exploration sandboxes where the world reacts to your choices. It can be inconsistent because the player encounters content non-linearly. You can afford to move between horror, drama, action, and comedy seamlessly. But TV shows don't work like that. A tv show is a linear narrative where the audience has to live with the choices the production made, and if those choices are unfunny, tonally inconsistent, or stupid then it detracts from the experience. The TV show wants to be everything that it isn't. It wants to be prestige tv while also being a goofy comedy where nothing matters, it wants to be Fallout while telling a story that completely upends all of the themes and even the very premise the games were based on.

It's just poorly conceived and badly written. The phenomenal production and acting are wasted on something that's intentionally worse than it could be.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Apr 14, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Like Westworld, people should know by now that Jonathan Nolan is great for that high concept pitch to executives, but has to be kept away from anything after the first episode establishes the setting.

I was just thinking that Shogun, particularly how well it was received, really shows that S2 of Westworld dropped the ball big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwRTu_PGmiA

Art direction is great, talented cast, but Jesus the execution leaves something to be desired.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 23:31 on Apr 14, 2024

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

it really did feel like a Fallout experience, mostly dumb nonsense with some cool set pieces, poor writing and uninteresting lead characters (though the cast was good and looked like they were having fun, that goes a long way), but i still had fun with it despite its obvious mediocrity.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Maximus is the perfect example to go off of because he's the worst written character in the show. They start off by presenting him as fanatically devoted to the Brotherhood because they saved his life, but then he becomes disenchanted because he's the barracks bitch boy and has to do latrine duty. The incident with Initiate Dane sets up an interesting conflict for Maximus because it leads you to believe he'd do anything to get his chance at being a Knight, but they reveal later in the final episode that Dane did it to himself. Why? To establish that Maximus is a good guy? Well he immediately does the worst thing in the season by leading the brotherhood to the observatory to complete the genocide of NCR just to save his own rear end. He's seen guys masturbate but never tried it himself, and that would be consistent with a religious fanatic but he's not. He gives up on the Brotherhood at the first chance he gets. He doesn't even act like someone who has lived in this world all his life.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nix Panicus posted:

Each vault holds 1000 people.

this was absolutely not clear lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

indigi posted:

Each vault holds exactly four well know actors/actresses and twenty extras

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah if you asked me to guess I would have assumed each vault held 75 people max

e: when they have their big vault policy meetings there's like 40 people there. they did an absolutely terrible job of conveying scale for everything, time included

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

indigi posted:

Vault population is all over the place. Original games say 1000 but FO4 and 76 have Vaults with listed populations of like 90 or 120 etc. I just assumed the show Vaults were following the latter population figures

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

But like you see the scene with the elevator going down and the vault infrastructure is loving huge, like it would cost a fortune to build these, if they only held like 50 people how drat expensive would a ticket in be

In the games the sales reps go door to door on normal suburbs like they're selling cutco knives, not multimillion dollar timeshares

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I thought that there were just a bunch of vault triads stacked on top of each other

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

Each vault holds exactly four well know actors/actresses and twenty extras

This is probably a canon vault somewhere

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh they did mention Vault 4 had a population of 200 at one point

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

But like you see the scene with the elevator going down and the vault infrastructure is loving huge, like it would cost a fortune to build these, if they only held like 50 people how drat expensive would a ticket in be

In the games the sales reps go door to door on normal suburbs like they're selling cutco knives, not multimillion dollar timeshares

vaults 31-33 are the management vaults that only Vault-Tec executives and their families were allowed into. They say that 32-33 are their breeding stock but don't really explain where they came from. Presumably the original population would have to be rubes not in on the experiment or else that knowledge would get passed down generationally. Maybe the original populations were of people who constructed the vaults and they were given a free ride? IDK. The whole experiment presumes the superiority of the middle management class, so they would be extra selective about who they let in.

The fact that they don't let any of the dwellers in on the secret of the experiment actually doesn't make any sense either. It invites in a bunch of variables that make it more difficult to control the experiment. They should have started off with a population of committed ideologues.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Maximus is the perfect example to go off of because he's the worst written character in the show. They start off by presenting him as fanatically devoted to the Brotherhood because they saved his life, but then he becomes disenchanted because he's the barracks bitch boy and has to do latrine duty. The incident with Initiate Dane sets up an interesting conflict for Maximus because it leads you to believe he'd do anything to get his chance at being a Knight, but they reveal later in the final episode that Dane did it to himself. Why? To establish that Maximus is a good guy? Well he immediately does the worst thing in the season by leading the brotherhood to the observatory to complete the genocide of NCR just to save his own rear end. He's seen guys masturbate but never tried it himself, and that would be consistent with a religious fanatic but he's not. He gives up on the Brotherhood at the first chance he gets. He doesn't even act like someone who has lived in this world all his life.

He's certainly primed to be bitterly disenchanted for the reasons you mentioned. His actual disenchantment comes first, when one of the Knights he's idolized, whose symbol has been branded onto him, turns out to be a totally contemptible incompetent coward, and again when he realizes that even if he accomplishes his mission, at best he'll spend the rest of his life living a lie, trusting no one. He actually thinks he's doing the right thing by leading the brotherhood to the observatory, as far as he knows, the girl he's infatuated with has gone alone to the camp of some bandit chieftain who kidnapped her father. The Brotherhood has every reason to keep the recruits ignorant of the existence of an organized NCR remnant, as they might very well feel some loyalty to it instead. That's a key part of the tragedy of the ending.

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Apr 15, 2024

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pomeroy posted:

He's primed to be bitterly disenchanted for the reasons you mentioned, he is disenchanted first by the fact that when one of the Knight's he's idolized, whose symbol has been branded onto him, turns out to be a totally contemptible incompetent coward, and again when he realizes that even if he accomplishes his mission, at best he'll spend the rest of his life living a lie, trusting no one. He actually thinks he's doing the right thing by leading the brotherhood to the observatory, as far as he knows, the girl he's infatuated with has gone alone to the camp of some bandit chieftain, hoping she can somehow ransom her kidnapped father. The Brotherhood has every reason to keep the recruits ignorant of the existence of an organized NCR remnant, as they might very well feel some loyalty to it instead. That's a key part of the tragedy of the ending.

He literally says that he's gonna lead them to the real head, and he knows that Lucy has the head. So he's basically leading the genocidal military order straight to his girlfriend.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He doesn't even act like someone who has lived in this world all his life.

To clarify, not in the way Galahad does, because he talks about how much knighthood means to him and then it seems immediately tries to go back on it? Even at the trial, I was so confused about what he was trying to say in his defence, why he wanted to be a knight, what he thought any of that meant.

There probably was something interesting that could have been done with Lucy asking him if he wants to have sex out of the blue, again like Lancelot and Elaine of Astolat, but, well, compare:

T.H. White posted:

In the morning he woke suddenly in a strange room. It was quite dark, with tapestry over the windows, and he had no headache because his constitution was good. He jumped out of bed and went to the window, to draw the curtain. He was fully aware, in the suddenness of a second, of all that had happened on the previous night—aware of the butler and of the drink and of the love-potion which had perhaps been put in it, of the message from Guenever, and of the dark, solid, cool-fired body in the bed which he had just got out of. He drew the curtain and leaned his forehead against the cold stone of the mullion. He was miserable.

"Jenny," he said, after minutes which seemed to be hours.

There was no answer from the bed.

He turned round and found himself looking at the boiled girl, Elaine. She lay in the bed, her small bare arms holding the bedclothes to her sides, with her violet eyes fixed on his.

Lancelot was always a martyr to his feelings, never any good at disguising them. When he saw Elaine his head went back. Then his ugly face took on a look of profound and outraged sorrow, so simple and truthful that his nakedness in the window-light was dignity. He began to tremble.

Elaine did not move, but only looked upon him with her quick eyes, like a mouse.

Lancelot went over to the chest where his sword was lying.

"I shall kill you."

She only looked. She was eighteen, pitifully small in the big bed, and she was frightened.

"Why did you do it?" he cried. "What have you done? Why have you betrayed me?"

"I had to."

"But it was treachery!"

He could not believe it of her.

"It was treachery! You have betrayed me."

"Why?"

"You have made me—taken from me—stolen——"

He threw his sword into a corner and sat down on the chest. When he began to cry, the gross lines of his face screwed themselves up fantastically. The thing which Elaine had stolen from him was his might. She had stolen his strength of ten. Children believe such things to this day, and think that they will only be able to bowl well in the cricket match tomorrow, provided that they are good today.

Lancelot stopped crying, and spoke with his eyes on the floor.

"When I was little," he said, "I prayed to God that he would let me work a miracle. Only virgins can work miracles. I wanted to be the best knight in the world. I was ugly and lonely. The people of your village said that I was the best knight of the world, and I did work my Miracle when I got you out of the water. I did not know it would be my last as well as my first."

Elaine said: "Oh, Lancelot, you will work plenty more."

"Never. You have stolen my miracles. You have stolen my being the best knight. Elaine, why did you do it?"

Jonathan Nolan posted:

You smell good.

What? [sniffs]

Oh.

You want to have sex?

You mean use my cock?

Yeah.

[weak chuckle]

I don’t know. Uh, that weird thing could happen.

What weird thing?

Well, it’s just, for some guys… not me…

uh, but for some guys, you know, when they make it move,

it gets all big and hard like a big pimple and then it pops.

And they say it can happen to anybody, but it’s still, it’s…

it’s gross.

You know, that’s… uh, that’s actually completely normal.

It happens all the time.

Every time, ideally.

I’m a knight.

Um, a knight of the Brotherhood.

We’re-we’re not supposed to.

Okey dokey.

[sighs]

[ominous music playing]

Mind if I sit down?

[indistinct chatter]

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He literally says that he's gonna lead them to the real head, and he knows that Lucy has the head. So he's basically leading the genocidal military order straight to his girlfriend.

he thinks she is going to a raider lair, not the NCR remnant, hence their original plan of letting the brotherhood have the head in exchange for them doing what Maximus ended up doing anyway

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Brotherhood has never been established as hostile to the Vault dwellers though, presumably seeing them as being close enough to the old fascist order they're trying to preserve that they're not fair game for looting. I don't recall the exact words, but he says to Dane that he thinks he's coming with the cavalry to rescue Lucy.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pomeroy posted:

The Brotherhood has never been established as hostile to the Vault dwellers though, presumably seeing them as being close enough to the old fascist order they're trying to preserve that they're not fair game for looting. I don't recall the exact words, but he says to Dane that he thinks he's coming with the cavalry to rescue Lucy.

That's still stupid. The brotherhood wouldn't have distinguished Lucy from the raiders. The only way to read Maximus is that he's mentally challenged. He doesn't understand the world he lives in and comes up with bad plans like this all the time because he's impulsive. He treated Intelligence as his dump stat, and that's really a more accurate way to read the main characters. Which SPECIAL stat did they dump? Lucy dumped endurance, Maximus dumped intelligence, and Howard dumped charisma when he changed races.

It'd be one thing if Maximus actually grew as a character and learned some things, but he really doesn't. He's the same person at the end that he was at the beginning thanks to the Dane reveal.

Also, the Brotherhood has nothing to do with Vault-Tec, they're descended from a military unit that mutinied at Mariposa Military base right before the Great War started. They mutinied because of FEV, which informs their entire ideology. The one thing the Brotherhood cares the most about is controlling high technology, but especially weapons, so that they never fall into the hands of someone who would recreate the Great War. They wouldn't care at all about Vault-Tec.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Apr 15, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Who was he at the beginning? I’m at a loss for who this character is even supposed to be.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
fallout is good and if you disagree with me you are ghoulbrained

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

did no energy weapons get used or did i miss someone getting vaporized

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's still stupid. The brotherhood wouldn't have distinguished Lucy from the raiders. The only way to read Maximus is that he's mentally challenged. He doesn't understand the world he lives in and comes up with bad plans like this all the time because he's impulsive. He treated Intelligence as his dump stat, and that's really a more accurate way to read the main characters. Which SPECIAL stat did they dump? Lucy dumped endurance, Maximus dumped intelligence, and Howard dumped charisma when he changed races.

It'd be one thing if Maximus actually grew as a character and learned some things, but he really doesn't. He's the same person at the end that he was at the beginning thanks to the Dane reveal.

You're assuming facts not in evidence here, the Brotherhood are fascist assholes, but there's nothing depicted in the show, or in the games I've played, to lead us to think they'd insist on murdering non-mutant prisoners of a raider gang they were attacking. Thaddeus doesn't react incredulously when "Knight Titus" talks about going to help Lucy, and later Dane does tell Maximus his plan is not feasible, not because they'd have to kill Lucy, but because he won't be able to safely desert. They're a different flavor of genocidal than the Enclave.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Popy posted:

did no energy weapons get used or did i miss someone getting vaporized

They have laser pistols. Maximus used one. Not sure if they had laser or plasma rifles. All that prop work and we don't even get a plasma rifle?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

Oh they did mention Vault 4 had a population of 200 at one point

Vault 4 was for scientists/geneticists. Their trap entrance was a way to quickly acquire specimens when the nuclear war happened and survivors needed medicine.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

fallout is good and if you disagree with me you are ghoulbrained

[1500 words saying actually your wrong and also im not ghoul brained but in fact you are, according to evidence ]

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the milk machine posted:

[1500 words saying actually your wrong and also im not ghoul brained but in fact you are, according to evidence ]

im right

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Only game I played was fallout 4 and I don't even know what happened

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pomeroy posted:

You're assuming facts not in evidence here, the Brotherhood are fascist assholes, but there's nothing depicted in the show, or in the games I've played, to lead us to think they'd insist on murdering non-mutant prisoners of a raider gang they were attacking. Thaddeus doesn't react incredulously when "Knight Titus" talks about going to help Lucy, and later Dane does tell Maximus his plan is not feasible, not because they'd have to kill Lucy, but because he won't be able to safely desert. They're a different flavor of genocidal than the Enclave.

The Brotherhood depicted in the show is directly descended from the Brotherhood in Fallout 4, which WAS fascist and genocidal to the point they'd kill anyone suspected of collaborating with mutants. We know they still have a hard on for mutants because Thaddeus talks about how much ghouls suck and they should kill them. When they showed up at the observatory they would have killed anything that moves, and not only does Lucy have the head she's also armed and would act to defend herself. Once the battle starts there's no way Maximus could control it. She could've easily been killed by a stray bullet.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Lucky.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Xaris posted:

it was more dull than reading about goons talking about fastfood or costco. 0/10 don't recommend

what!! how much did you watch? season 2 is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Woke Mind Virus posted:

I built a dece little town and shot some rad roaches