Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mx. posted:

[b]AITA for being pissed off our kitchen flooded?

Well, on the plus side, he finally got insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

what in the goddamn

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Mx. posted:

I have a number of follow-up questions

edit: I just need that angry teacher to know the "thing I got away with that poor kids didn't" is attempting suicide as a teenager so that's fun

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Public education as a public good is in danger and that causes people who have devoted their life to it, like some teachers, to overreact to any perceived threat or criticism.

Many teachers are great, not every teacher is terrible, but it's the bad ones who leave oversized memories and populate our anecdotes.

so, like, LoG, i get what's going on for you, but: stop.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 15, 2024

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

the holy poopacy posted:

whatever you say herr goebbels

i can't believe you'd make fun of my hosed up foot like that

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Public education as a public good is in danger and that causes people who have devoted their life to it, like some teachers, to overreact to any perceived threat or criticism.

Many teachers are great, not every teacher is terrible, but it's the bad ones who leave oversized memories and populate our anecdotes.

yeah - the vast majority of my teachers growing up were good or excellent but that didn't stop a few bad apples from being awful

dervival fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 15, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mx. posted:

Lmao :wtc:

Everyone shut up about teachers and start mocking this guy

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

Ahh, so your family had money. You are correct, that allows you to get away with things that poor kids don't.

Since you seem to have a loving bee in your bonnet about this, I'll specify that my mum was a teacher at a public school for nearly 40 years, retired 4 years ago. You know what she hated most about her job? Her loving lovely coworkers, a lot of whom were bullies who enjoyed having power over children and, in the case of some heads of departments, power over other teachers too.

Teaching is a profession that attracts bullies as well as those who want to do good.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lmao :wtc:

Everyone shut up about teachers and start mocking this guy

What was he watching that made him flood the kitchen so many times

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I have a number of follow-up questions

Yeah, I wanna know what he was watching

mystes
May 31, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

Ahh, so your family had money. You are correct, that allows you to get away with things that poor kids don't.
Did you actually read what I wrote?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

Holy lol this dude gonna get wrecked when he files the claim.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol I don't think you can just sign up for insurance after you damage your property

I think the boyfriend must have insanely bad ADHD or something though

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

You do you, but joining the alt right in their crusade against the schools isn’t going to end the way you think it is.

Lmfao

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

mystes posted:

Lol I don't think you can just sign up for insurance after you damage your property

You can. They just won't pay lol.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

You can. They just won't pay lol.
I mean I guess either you admit that it happened before you enrolled and they won't pay or you lie and say it happened like the next day and they won't pay and it's also insurance fraud?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Flooding counts as a pre-existing condition

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

quote:

He’s let it overflow 5 times and flooded a good portion of the kitchen. I was there 4/5 times to stop it from getting too bad once i realized what was happening. Yesterday i was not there, my stepdaughter messaged me saying her dad flooded the apartment, he says it was just the kitchen

The step daughter is 9 btw. Several inches of water and he's just sitting there obliviously, watching TV.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

How did not one, but two, adults not see that the sink was on for hours? And how did they do it once, then four more loving times? Is the wife just never there when this is happening?

I hate to blame drugs, because drugs have never done me wrong, but I feel like drugs are definitely involved.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Scathach posted:

How did not one, but two, adults not see that the sink was on for hours? And how did they do it once, then four more loving times? Is the wife just never there when this is happening?

I hate to blame drugs, because drugs have never done me wrong, but I feel like drugs are definitely involved.

My theory: they were watching anime

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I still dont get why the sink is just running, unattended. Like you turn the water on then you start doing the dishes, how is there even time to wander off from the sink between water starting and dish doing starting.

Or is this something where I'll learn that in europe dishes are actually a soup or something.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Barudak posted:

I still dont get why the sink is just running, unattended. Like you turn the water on then you start doing the dishes, how is there even time to wander off from the sink between water starting and dish doing starting.

Or is this something where I'll learn that in europe dishes are actually a soup or something.
My guess is he was trying to fill the sink to wash dishes in the traditional method where you fill the sink, but he was bored waiting for the sink to fill, so he left and turned on the tv and then forgot about the sink and what he was supposed to be doing.

This is something I could theoretically imagine myself doing but because of that I would never leave the room while filling the sink.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
One of my best and worst teachers was an alcoholic whose coffee cup was liberally dosed with whisky.

It was amazing to see the energetic and passionate lecturer who loved teaching history (2nd period) daily transform into a barely sentient husk who taught health (7th period) by hitting play on a series of lovely VHS tapes.

My man was a legend.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Barudak posted:

If I'm hand washing a lot dishes, I fill one half of the sink with hot water and detergent, and fill the other half (or a tub if the sink is undivided) with clean water to rinse.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

mystes posted:

This is something I could theoretically imagine myself doing but because of that I would never leave the room while filling the sink.

pretty much this, I've definitely ruined a pot + burner before by steaming some artichokes and forgetting about it while doing other stuff, and so now if I'm cooking something I either stay in the kitchen the whole time & read a book while I wait for like, the rice to boil, or set a timer, or both. Even if you're filling the entire sink it takes like what, 5 minutes max? just look at your phone for 5 minutes dummy

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Shanghaied posted:

The step daughter is 9 btw. Several inches of water and he's just sitting there obliviously, watching TV.

Wondering how a man seriously challenged by tasks like ‘fill a bowl up with water’ has managed to keep a human child alive for a whole 9 years

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoctorTristan posted:

Wondering how a man seriously challenged by tasks like ‘fill a bowl up with water’ has managed to keep a human child alive for a whole 9 years
Perhaps the better question is how the child has managed to keep him alive

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
A reverse Bean Dad, if you will

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

DoctorTristan posted:

Keeping children alive is a woman's work, duh. A man's work is to watch TV, apparently.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

One of my best and worst teachers was an alcoholic whose coffee cup was liberally dosed with whisky.

It was amazing to see the energetic and passionate lecturer who loved teaching history (2nd period) daily transform into a barely sentient husk who taught health (7th period) by hitting play on a series of lovely VHS tapes.

My man was a legend.

My elementary school teacher did that too. Years later I casually mentioned to my parents "Yeah, Mr K. always had alcohol in his coffee cup, we could smell it." and they were horrified.

Sadly he wasn't nearly as cool as your teacher, his idea of teaching us to behave was to tell us the story of Mary's Child every time we misbehaved. Combine that with having one kid in class who always acted out and I spent second grade hearing that story on a weekly basis. Weirdly enough, this never made the kid act out less...

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

AITA for buying something off of someone else's wishlist??

quote:

So basically what it says. When I get pissed off or annoyed at a friend or acquaintance or family member that happens to have like an Amazon wishlist, I will go to their wishlist and buy something off of it for myself. For example, when my roommate didn't pay their share of the rent on time for three months in a row, making both of us look delinquent to our landlord despite me paying my share in the portal, I went on their Amazon wishlist and pulled up the listing for a pair of boots they want and bought them for myself. They noticed the boots and were like "oh hey I've been looking at those online" and I was like "oh? Really? They're so nice 😊".

I dont think I'm the rear end in a top hat because I'm not hurting them, and it stops me from doing something more dramatic or harmful when I'm pissed. But I might be the rear end in a top hat because I feel some people, namely my roommate, have definitely noticed that I've done this but it's the kind of thing that would be crazy to accuse someone of, but like I really did do it lol. I do it pretty regularly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
ban all schools. they’re all just agents of state tyranny

also ban parents. have you seen the stories posted in this thread?

“but what do we do about the kids” uhhhhhh why did we spend all that taxpayer money on bringing wolves back if we can’t let them raise the children????

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Lieutenant Dan posted:

A reverse Bean Dad, if you will

I did not know about this and had to look it up, and holy poo poo lmao.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

AITA for buying something off of someone else's wishlist??

You do not want the things on my wishlist, trust me.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

idiotsavant posted:

pretty much this, I've definitely ruined a pot + burner before by steaming some artichokes and forgetting about it while doing other stuff, and so now if I'm cooking something I either stay in the kitchen the whole time & read a book while I wait for like, the rice to boil, or set a timer, or both. Even if you're filling the entire sink it takes like what, 5 minutes max? just look at your phone for 5 minutes dummy

Yeah, but I've never seen a sink without an overflow. Is he blocking it somehow? Is he running the water so fast the overflow can't keep up? How's he doing it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, but I've never seen a sink without an overflow. Is he blocking it somehow? Is he running the water so fast the overflow can't keep up? How's he doing it?

Neither of the apartments I've lived in have had kitchen sink overflows, those are reserved for the bathroom

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

WIBTA for reporting my child's teacher?

quote:

Alt acc because my family knows my reddit. My spouse (41M) and I (41F) have a child that we'll call Hannah (15f). Last week I picked Hannah up and she said that one of her teachers, we'll call her Ms. K, took her phone for looking at it during class. I told her she needed to keep her phone in her pocket during class, then Hannah tells that Ms. K still hasn't returned it. I thought that was a little weird but whatever, get it tomorrow. Every day after Hannah tells me she asked for it back and Ms. K refuses. On Thursday I sent her an email asking when we can expect the phone back and that I would like her to have it for when she works this weekend. No reply.

A whole week of this passes. Today, Hannah gets in my car and tells me she asked and Ms. K didn't even answer. She just ignored her. I lost my patience and went into the school. I found Ms. K standing outside her classroom and told her it was time she give me the phone back. She tells me that Hannah needs to learn to stop using her phone in class and I tell her that I agree, and that she can take her phone away every day in her class if she feels she needs to, but it's not acceptable for her to just keep the phone for this long. I made a scene, students and teachers alike were staring, but she relented and said she would get the phone out of her office and came back with it about 3 minutes later.

I feel like an idiot for not checking the phone when she handed it to me. I didn't give Hannah back her phone from my purse until she was done with her assignments for today and a couple minutes after she comes back to me in a panic. Two things were wrong. One, the screen was cracked and it wasn't before. Two, she had to re-log in to her apple ID which we thought was odd. She then looked at her account settings and saw a second apple ID, with Ms. K's full name and avatar. We think she may have merged the data or something too because there are contacts we don't recognize on the phone. I lost it, told Hannah she can't use the phone for now because I'm worried if Ms. K has access to anything on her end, and sent an email to her demanding an explanation. There has not been a reply. I'm seriously considering reporting her to an administrator and having her pay for the screen repair, but my husband thinks that will cause her to retaliate on our daughter and that I might have overstepped by confronting her today. He also thinks it's possible she may have made a mistake and accidentally thought she was on her own iphone or something, and that his IT guy could help with separating the ID's. He thinks we should let it go now that the phone is returned.

I agree that he might be right about Ms. K retaliating, and I might be overreacting, but I'm having a hard time accepting the state that she returned Hannah's phone and just letting things go. WIBTA for reporting her?

Going to need to know whether this is a public or a private school before I can decide whether OP is a nazi.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

WIBTA for reporting my child's teacher?

Going to need to know whether this is a public or a private school before I can decide whether OP is a nazi.
I'm assuming this means the daughter didn't have any security enabled and the teacher was able to go through all her stuff on the phone which is insanely creepy and this is one of those things where if the teacher did it with one kid she's probably routinely doing it to other kids so they really need to report this poo poo ASAP

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mystes posted:

I'm assuming this means the daughter didn't have any security enabled and the teacher was able to go through all her stuff on the phone which is insanely creepy and this is one of those things where if the teacher did it with one kid she's probably routinely doing it to other kids so they really need to report this poo poo ASAP

Nah there was security, that’s why the teacher had to crack it.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
We've had intruding MILs, now get ready for the creepy FILs!

AITA for telling my husband and father-in-law that they could have a say in my birth plan if they had skin (or genitals to be more exact) in the game.

quote:

My father-in-law has been trying to convince my husband and I that natural child birth is the way to go.

Personally I think it's loving weird that he thinks that he should have any say whatsoever. But he raised four kids, three of them girls, after his wife passed away so he has a different life experience than most I guess.

I said that I either want a scheduled C-section or an epidural. My husband now thinks one is too stressful and the other puts drugs into my system when I should be fully "in the moment".

I said that I would agree to natural child birth if and only if I could have a hold of their testicles for the entire delivery.

They both think I'm being gross and childish. They involved my three sisters-in-law to try and shame me since they all had natural child birth. I told them to butt out unless they wanted to volunteer a husband to my grip.

Overall everyone seems to think I am being immature and ridiculous with my offered trade.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Shanghaied posted:

We've had intruding MILs, now get ready for the creepy FILs!

AITA for telling my husband and father-in-law that they could have a say in my birth plan if they had skin (or genitals to be more exact) in the game.

lol this OP owns

I had a family friend who let his wife hold his hand during delivery and got a broken hand out of it, I can't even imagine what that amount of strength would do to a pair of balls instead of something with bones :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Serene Dragon posted:

Since you seem to have a loving bee in your bonnet about this, I'll specify that my mum was a teacher at a public school for nearly 40 years, retired 4 years ago. You know what she hated most about her job? Her loving lovely coworkers, a lot of whom were bullies who enjoyed having power over children and, in the case of some heads of departments, power over other teachers too.

Teaching is a profession that attracts bullies as well as those who want to do good.

It's this. Especially once you add in ND, it just sets something off in some teachers, for some reason it's blood in the water for them

Incidentally as a kid I had one of my core primary school teachers (and a swim coach too!) later confess to my mum that I reminded them of their dead child and that's why they were so "intense" with me. I'm sure it also didn't help that I was undiagnosed ND and had a very emotionally-problematic home life, but I still find it odd that it happened twice, and that nothing ever came out of it. IIRC it was like, things escalated until there were some serious discussions, the teacher and coach confessed the reason for their behaviour, and then I guess mum was like "oh that makes sense, I'm sorry for your loss" ?? Classic