Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope they have a scene where the protagonist approaches someone for behind and asks for help. The stranger replies "I'll help you, but first another settlement needs out help" and then he turns and puts on his hat and its Preston Garvey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I really hope they don't gently caress up the CGI on deathclaws. Haven't seen one yet but you do get to see a Yao Guai loving annihilate a BoS knight so I have high hopes.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Fortaleza posted:

Fallout 4 sucked rear end

ohohoho, the little Gamers of today fear the truest hot take, that... ALL the Fallout games sucked rear end, except the very first

:sss:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The fact I haven't seen someone stealthily drop a huge live landmine in someone's pocket then run away is a huge travesty

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
so it is said, there exists a Gamer take that is simply too powerful, that Fallout 3 is the only good Fallout. a forbidden technique wielded only by the mad and desperate.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The fact I haven't seen someone stealthily drop a huge live landmine in someone's pocket then run away is a huge travesty

Filly looks identical to Megaton (minus the bomb). I was kinda disappointed it turned out not to be.

FO2 is the gold standard for me. 3 was fine although I hated the ending. I didn’t like 4 at all. I have a soft spot for 3 because it’s set where I live and the geography more or less lines up (since Bethesda is in Bethesda MD). I hopped on the red line metro in the game and travelled to the town where I currently reside only to find it was overrun with super mutants which is fairly accurate and loving hilarious

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 04:55 on Apr 15, 2024

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I’m never gonna watch it but an artist I like worked on it so I’m glad for her that it’s good

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Pigbuster posted:

I’m never gonna watch it but an artist I like worked on it so I’m glad for her that it’s good

Tell her she did a fantastic job. Anyway one of my kids is now interested in Fallout and it's wild to me that 2-3 were never re-released on Switch. Seems like a no-brainer especially with the TV show tie-in.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I played Fallout 4 for the first time last year and had a lil fun with it at first. Always cheating my punching to max dmg and having a lol, never really respecting the story/lore. Then a quest glitched with an invisible enemy and I stopped playing

I’m mad I didn’t do this. I platinumed that poo poo and immediately deleted it in disgust at the game and myself for spending that kind of time on it

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Fortaleza posted:

I’m mad I didn’t do this. I platinumed that poo poo and immediately deleted it in disgust at the game and myself for spending that kind of time on it

I beat it but by the end it just felt like a chore and unlike 3 or NV where i wanted to go back and re-experience the game as a different class/character type, I just uninstalled it and ever looked back.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Every time I think about maybe finishing FO4, I think about having to do the settlement stuff and I play New Vegas again

New Vegas will always rule

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rags to Liches posted:

Every time I think about maybe finishing FO4, I think about having to do the settlement stuff and I play New Vegas again

New Vegas will always rule

All of the endings of 4 are just kinda "meh". None of them are cathartic or conclude your character's arc in a satisfactory way. I played through one of them and then just looked up the rest on youtube because I figured they were all going to be dumb (I was correct).

New Vegas owned.

I'm kinda sad the "HEY! FIND A NEW BRAIN FOR THIS DOG" plot line will likely be overlooked in the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Fallout 4 was bizarre, like someone convinced Bethesda that adding a major base building mechanic and then designing a ton of core gameplay around that process was a good idea, even gating settlement progression and options behind stats and talents.

No one who wanted new Fallout wanted a basebuilder minigame, and no one who played base builder games wanted that kind of pre-fab building poo poo.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fortaleza posted:

I'm not a bethesda head by any means, so take it w/a grain of salt.. but I found The Outer Worlds 50x more fun to play

I actually beat it and enjoyed it the entire way thru

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The base building interface was clunky and awkward as poo poo too. If it wasn’t an afterthought, maybe put some more effort into making it A) user friendly and B) relevant to the plot of the game instead of “look at my giant functioning jizzing dick statue” which I’m assuming is what everyone else did too

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And then they put settlement building in Starfield and apparently it was even worse lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
the settlements came from a new vegas mod and they didnt even bother to try and make it less annoying to use than a mod made by someone for free in their spare time

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Even if you wanted to engage with the settlements it was so poorly balanced that by midgame unless you have a dozen laser turrets and missile launchers every single "raid" is going to gently caress up your base if you aren't there to fight off the enemies. And the NPC allies even if equipped with plasma weapons or something get no benefit from stats so they do middling damage at best.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The ending of Starfield is so funny to me because, you can see why Bethesda would look at how people treat their games like moddable toyboxes and thought, let's add a canon new game+ mechanic to increase replayability

When all it did was just render most of the creative stuff you can do moot because none of that comes with you on NG+ cycles.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Leal posted:

And then they put settlement building in Starfield and apparently it was even worse lol

It is entirely pointless and contributed to me liking Starfield at the start, and slowly liking it less and less until I beat it and all I felt was that my time was wasted.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

my memories of fallout 4 was making the mistake of trying to play the game on hardcore because i liked to play hardcore in new vegas and in the very first encounter with a bloat fly i died in two hits and was sent right back to the beginning because you cant save normally in fallout 4 hardcore mode

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
settlement building except it's dwarf fortress

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its a fine game to wander around and explore and shoot at poo poo but the story is complete nonsense and the voiced protagonist is both bland and one of the dumbest people to have ever lived

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

pentyne posted:

Fallout 4 was bizarre, like someone convinced Bethesda that adding a major base building mechanic and then designing a ton of core gameplay around that process was a good idea, even gating settlement progression and options behind stats and talents.

No one who wanted new Fallout wanted a basebuilder minigame, and no one who played base builder games wanted that kind of pre-fab building poo poo.

my kid was pretty unimpressed at the time! as they dripfed Fallout 4 patches and DLC, there was a big element of "oh. that's another Minecraft modpack everybody is sick of by now. heh."

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they added fishing to skyrim but its really bad and there are a hundred 100 fishing mods that work better than the official one lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

I'm wondering what secret the decapitated scientist's head holds but since it's the Enclave and they keep talking about revitalizing the wasteland and changing the world, I gotta assume it's the G.E.C.K. and if I'm right, I'm going to nerd out so hard.

it's been pretty loyal to the lore so far and the GECK is a big suitcase, but that was my first thought too

e: also the GECKs are pre-war tech, though the description for them mentions they're powered by cold fusion which is never otherwise mentioned in FO, afaik, so maybe that?

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Apr 15, 2024

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they added fishing to skyrim but its really bad and there are a hundred 100 fishing mods that work better than the official one lol

I don't understand why people want actual fishing in Skyrim. Just fus ro dah the river and collect all the fish that float to the top

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

pentyne posted:

It's because Todd's kids were playing a lot of Minecraft and Fortnite at the time

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fallout 4 was fun to play, but the voiced protagonist was dumb and the story was stupid. However, if you dug into all the lore notes scattered around the Institute things do start to make sense. That's when you realize that the top level guys at Bethesda do the main story and lower level guys do the environmental stuff. The environmental team did a heroic effort to rescue the story and make it make sense, to the point that multiple characters have hidden agendas only exposed in these notes. If you promoted some of these guys Bethesda games could have good stories, but nope it's Todd Howard and that Emil or Emilio guy everyone hates and the truth is no amount of environmental notes can save that story because you probably stopped caring long before you find it, if you ever do.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

Anyway one of my kids is now interested in Fallout and it's wild to me that 2-3 were never re-released on Switch. Seems like a no-brainer especially with the TV show tie-in.
Porting 1 + 2 to consoles would be cool but they're very mouse-driven computer RPGs, so you'd probably have to completely redo all the controls and UI and stuff for gamepads (and to make the tiny text legible on the Switch portable screen!)

3 and New Vegas are on an older version of Bethesda's engine that hasn't been ported over to newer platforms, so I assume it's kind of a mess under the hood. There have been rumors of Oblivion and FO3 remakes/remasters being done by external studios, that'll probably be the closest thing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the dq11 costumes are great. Veronica's hog costume makes all her dramatic fingerpointing scenes very funny

the fallout show is alright

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

pentyne posted:

absolutely hated the base building stuff in 4. just boring pointless and unexplained time consuming tasks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I enjoyed fallout 4 because I enjoy wandering around exploring an open world, it being based on Boston was kind of neat.

Anything to do with the story was pretty terrible. Installing the better dialogue mod and no settlement attacks probably helped my experience

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Re fallout prime series I read someone claiming Bethesda had the ncr nuked because the brotherhood of steel was more marketable, and that it was hugely problematic because the ncr were so good and it was an affront to everyone who enjoyed new Vegas. But then the ncr was also this:

https://twitter.com/pukingguile/status/1779614161216913869?t=87DUaIkdwA4cbWdEiLfp9A&s=19

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

my memories of fallout 4 was making the mistake of trying to play the game on hardcore because i liked to play hardcore in new vegas and in the very first encounter with a bloat fly i died in two hits and was sent right back to the beginning because you cant save normally in fallout 4 hardcore mode

I'm the bloat fly

duh

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

[complimentary] fallout: new gay guys

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Re fallout prime series I read someone claiming Bethesda had the ncr nuked because the brotherhood of steel was more marketable, and that it was hugely problematic because the ncr were so good and it was an affront to everyone who enjoyed new Vegas. But then the ncr was also this:

https://twitter.com/pukingguile/status/1779614161216913869?t=87DUaIkdwA4cbWdEiLfp9A&s=19

In New Vegas the NCR is dumb as hell and problematic, it's just that it's going up against Caesar's Legion which is even more so by, like, an order of magnitude. They, the Legion, and Mr. House each basically represent a different aspect of the Old World's sins carried forward into the wasteland. That they represent violent American hegemony and apathy as an institution still leaves them looking pretty good. At least, good compared to the insane (and wildly hypocritical) dehumanization of the Legion, which takes the basic ideas of fascism to horrifying conclusions, and the solipsistic techbro supervillain who happens to be flavored in the style of a 1950's eccentric.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

very risky blowjob posted:

[complimentary] fallout: new gay guys

*Fat Load

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

da poo Fallout of my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen