Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played it when I was 15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sakurazuka posted:

I played it when I was 15

:same:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I did not play it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
we're going back to potos to get my loving power ring back
rear end in a top hat

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Clarste posted:

The reason it's so beloved is because people played it when they were 8.

It's still good. The gameplay may have aged but the music still slaps. That will never change

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The last Mana game I played for any extended time was Trials, and I never beat it. I know it got mentioned earlier but was there actually one that was near as good as Secret in terms of plot and music?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Music wise at least I'd say I preferred both SD3/Trials and Legend of Mana. The intro to LoM (the second one that plays when you actually start a game) is probably my favourite JRPG track ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73t4ZoYE_Q

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006
Secret of Mana is really rough coming in nostalgia-free now, but playing it w/ the Turbo all-in-one hack makes it a much better game for modern sensibilities imo.

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27890.0

It's built off of a bunch of general gameplay revamps and bug fixes, speeds up the game dramatically by getting rid of the stamina system & fixes companion AI pathfinding. Also includes patching for the MSU-1 music & just recently added support for the "Reborn" retranslation that is a significantly better script. The only downside is there's so many options in the custom patcher that it can be overwhelming, but I'd rather have those options just be checkboxes than have to merge a bunch of stuff myself.

There's a few older SNES titles (mostly BoF2 & 7th Saga lol) where I'd consider big revamps/bugfixes/retranslations to be recommended for anyone to have a good experience coming into them fresh now, SoM is one of them unless the stamina-based combat system really clicks for you.

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 15, 2024

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The entire Legend of Mana soundtrack absolutely slaps. Shoutout to one of my favorite boss battle themes ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XCbqHXZaKw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WXSZWbYHs8

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah, I dunno. Outside of the Trials remake I don't think it'd be a hot take to say the entire Mana franchise is filled with creatively wonderful but mechanically flawed games. Some entries like Children, Heroes, and Dawn are more or less outright bad. Others like Sword and Legend are at least innocuous for the most part and just have the curse of being very shallow games that somehow get layers upon layers of utterly pointless subsystems. And the early entries are just Old games with some weird quirks that have aged terribly like Secret's actively detrimental weapon charging and spell leveling or SD3's horrible habit of punishing you with fullscreen counters for using your fun toys. There's things to admire in most of the games, especially the art and music direction, but good lord it took until Trials remake to create one where I don't really have to introduce to folks with any caveats for the gameplay side of things.

Not only is Sword a game with utter pointless subsystems, it has a finale where they replace your protagonist being the one being left into saving the world with several people and the Power Of Friendship(TM). The original has a character who dies at the very start of the game to kick things off, in Sword HE'S THERE UNTIL THE VERY END. It has such insane padding of that 8-bit shallowness. You know that vampire you defeat while staying in a mansion in the original? He couldn't just be an early boss you know, so now he has a TRAGIC BACKSTORY.

I have never played the second remake of FFA, Adventures of Mana, but I hope it didn't pretend to be something else than an old game with some fresh paint and some tweaks.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 15, 2024

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fridge corn posted:

It's still good. The gameplay may have aged but the music still slaps. That will never change

Artstyle too. I love pretty much everything about it except for the combat which is just okay, not egregiously bad but nothing to write home about, etc.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mierenneuker posted:

Not only is Sword a game with utter pointless subsystems, it has a finale where they replace your protagonist being the one being left into saving the world with several people and the Power Of Friendship(TM). The original has a character who dies at the very start of the game to kick things off, in Sword HE'S THERE UNTIL THE VERY END. It has such insane padding of that 8-bit shallowness. You know that vampire you defeat while staying in a mansion in the original? He couldn't just be an early boss you know, so now he has a TRAGIC BACKSTORY.

I have never played the second remake of FFA, Adventures of Mana, but I hope it didn't pretend to be something else than an old game with some fresh paint and some tweaks.
As far as I've seen, the Vita version of Adventures of Mana is literally just a prettier version of FFA. I don't even think they really tweaked anything aside from the translation/dialog. I didn't really stick around for very long to find out though, because while FFA was Fine when I played through it in the Collection a few years back, I didn't play it as a kid so I have no nostalgia for it and the best thing I have to say about it was that it was short enough to not really overstay its welcome.

Probably would've loved it on Game Boy as a kid though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I tried, and failed, to play the original FFA like 3 times and could never get into it. It's so old and barebones. It utterly fails to explain what your little flashing bar is (it dumps you immediately into a boss fight), the dialog is atrocious, either because of character limitations or a bad translation, and after making it to the first town I basically had no idea what I was supposed to do next. I wandered into the woods until I died, repeated that a few times, then moved on to something else.

E: like, there are so many GB games more fleshed out and easier to parse, it's really not a limitation of the hardware/storage.

Like, pokemon gen 1 were GB games. Compare those games to FFA.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a five year difference in those games which was a huge gap in those days. Yes, it is the same hardware but you're comparing a third party game made a year or two after the hardware debut to a first party game made years later.

Not saying the first Mana game isn't weird and fairly obtuse but that was kinda the standard in 1991.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Annath posted:

I tried, and failed, to play the original FFA like 3 times and could never get into it. It's so old and barebones. It utterly fails to explain what your little flashing bar is (it dumps you immediately into a boss fight), the dialog is atrocious, either because of character limitations or a bad translation, and after making it to the first town I basically had no idea what I was supposed to do next. I wandered into the woods until I died, repeated that a few times, then moved on to something else.

E: like, there are so many GB games more fleshed out and easier to parse, it's really not a limitation of the hardware/storage.

Like, pokemon gen 1 were GB games. Compare those games to FFA.
Pokemon Gen 1 also came out like 5 years after FFA, so take that into account when you compare them. The GB had been out for a little more than two years when FFA came out, and was nearly 7 when Pokemon Green launched.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did half of the first world of KH3 last night. I played it on launch but I honestly remember almost nothing other than not liking it very much by the end and I'm starting to see why. The combat feels good but the constant triangle spam (attractions are rear end!!!!!!!!) really suck lol.

Also graphically everything looks very weird, this is probably because the series always had a very consistent art style throughout all the releases and then this changes it, but the Disney characters in particular look very plastic-y (Yen Sid especially)

Also the opening movie has good visuals but the song sucks rear end...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The songs good :colbert:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Annath posted:

Sounds like issues that could be solved with a look at the game manual.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fridge corn posted:

The gameplay didn't age it was bad then too and the whimsy and vibes were also bad. DQ without the charm.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mana definitely has better music than DQ

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Mana definitely has better music than DQ

Yeah but you can just listen to the ost separately and not play the bad game.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Paying2Lurk posted:

Sounds like issues that could be solved with a look at the game manual.

When your primary source of games as a kid is the local Goodwill, and you're lucky if the game has a label, manuals aren't really a thing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah but you can just listen to the ost separately and not play the bad game.

Do you feel listening to a video game soundtrack on its own or listening to it as part of playing the game to be equivalent experiences?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did half of the first world of KH3 last night. I played it on launch but I honestly remember almost nothing other than not liking it very much by the end and I'm starting to see why. The combat feels good but the constant triangle spam (attractions are rear end!!!!!!!!) really suck lol.

You got to play on critical so you can have the ability that disables all attractions! (that might be on other difficulties too, I can't remember)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You got to play on critical so you can have the ability that disables all attractions! (that might be on other difficulties too, I can't remember)

Yeah without attractions, which are not as good as just...doing combo, the triangle spam in 3 is a lot less than in 2 where it's mostly just combo finishers and form shifts in 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finished SoM twice last year and the combat isn't great but it's not enough to ruin the game.

The menu loading times in Trials original is almost enough to ruin the game though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Do you feel listening to a video game soundtrack on its own or listening to it as part of playing the game to be equivalent experiences?

When the gameplay is as boring as SoM I don't feel like listening to it at all!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

When the gameplay is as boring as SoM I don't feel like listening to it at all!

It was a genuine question meant to spark an interesting conversation but okay

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah without attractions, which are not as good as just...doing combo, the triangle spam in 3 is a lot less than in 2 where it's mostly just combo finishers and form shifts in 3.

I've had more triangle pop ups available to me in the first world of KH3 than like half of KH2, a game I played and beat a week ago. You're crazy man.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also I didn't choose critical mode since "you deal half damage and take double damage" is not interesting to me. Even if they give you a bunch of other toys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you dont deal half damage in critical mode, you deal normal damage. its just lower hp/you take more damage and the new toys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in kh2 critical mode you actually deal more damage to enemies than normal

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KH 2 and 3 on critical mode are great and you should give them a try sometime.

Critical Mode on 3 basically made it my fav KH game honestly, had a blast playing through it last year.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wait which is the opening movie music in KH3 the skrillex thing or Don't Think Twice?

The first is eh and the second owns.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

you dont deal half damage in critical mode, you deal normal damage. its just lower hp/you take more damage and the new toys

Oh. Well I got lied to by SEO sites then. Which listed a chart and said that lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im pretty sure the only difficulty option in the entire series that lowers the damage you deal is kh3d proud mode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh. Well I got lied to by SEO sites then. Which listed a chart and said that lol.

lol

https://www.khwiki.com/Difficulty_Level

quote:

KH3 Critical Mode:
Starting MP and HP are halved, rounded down, compared to all other difficulties.
HP and MP from Bonus Levels are halved, rounded down (10 to 5, 5 to 2, 3 to 1), compared to all other difficulties.
Sora begins the game with 58 AP (64 with pre-equipped Soldier's Earring).
Situation Commands take twice as long to build up.
Sora receives 2.0x + 10 damage (calculated before attack multiplier) as compared to Standard.
MP Charge times have been increased to 70 seconds.
Compared to Standard, EXP gained is 75% of the normal amount.
Sora has three default abilities exclusive to Critical Mode: Critical Counter, Critical Recharge, and Critical Converter.
Sora learns Aerial Recovery, Counter Slash, Counter Impact, Counter Kick, Final Blow, Risk Dodge, Rising Spiral, Groundbreaker, two additional instances of both Air Slide and Superslide, and Combo Master by default.
The Soldier's Earring accessory is pre-equipped to Sora before fighting Darkside and the Shadows.
Links restore half of Sora's maximum HP, as opposed to all of his HP in other difficulties.
Clearing the story on Critical Mode rewards the player with the Proof of Times Past, which can be exchanged for the Oblivion Keyblade.
Cuisine Full Course Bonus is two thirds as long.
No Lucky Emblems are needed to view "Yozora".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Might restart then. Dealing half damage was the dealbreaker for me and since that's not true I don't really have a problem with it lol.