Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

it’s wild that you can just refuse to specify how many children you have, this is a totally respectable position to hold as prime minister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Reveilled posted:

I think he's just always been a tory, but he got into cheesemaking as part of purchasing a farm and I believe he and David Cameron were neighbours.

Apropos of nothing, this is my favourite Pulp song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0

I went to look for the My Chemical Romance cover of this on youtube and the top comment was:

"My favourite band covering my Dad's favourite song"

:corsair:

edit: the comment is 9 years old :rip:

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 15, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I went to look for the My Chemical Romance cover of this on youtube and the top comment was:

"My favourite band covering my Dad's favourite song"

:corsair:

I mean...there's plenty of Pulp grandads and MCR dads at this point

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

pulp were old even when most of us heard them the first time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Black Parade is 18 years old this year lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Trying posted:

pulp were old even when most of us heard them the first time

I love stuff like this. Pulp are a 70s band. Radiohead and The Offspring started in the mid-80s. The Rolling Stones have been playing for 62 years.

E; The Flaming Lips have been going since 1983

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
just looking up that cantona stuff and finding out about the guy who, when sentenced for having shouted abuse at Cantona in the first place, decided that his best course of action to show the court he was in fact a reasonable guy was to leap across the courtroom and grab the prosecutor by the neck. yeah that'll get them on side mate

Tesseraction posted:

simply choosing to ignore this

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

I'm not ok (with the relentless passage of time)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Ignoring MCR is never a bad thing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

[to the chorus of welcome to the black parade] I'm getting olld
I'm getting ollllllllllllllld

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's pretty wild that Pulp were a band for 16 years before releasing anything that wasn't absolute shite.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My Glastonbury experience is 30 years old this June :corsair:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Failed Imagineer posted:

I love stuff like this. Pulp are a 70s band. Radiohead and The Offspring started in the mid-80s. The Rolling Stones have been playing for 62 years.

E; The Flaming Lips have been going since 1983

problematic favourite Type O Negative were a secret dad band even in their heyday

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Rachel Riley is trending
https://twitter.com/IrrumAli/status/1779808452509864257

Her 'misunderstood' and now deleted tweet:

Rachel has of course has been digging downwards the entire time:
https://twitter.com/RachelRileyRR/status/1779618188440785062

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

grobbo posted:

You know what the true scandal of 90s music is? Stuart Murdoch spending the past 30 years pretending he didn't actually know what an Arab Strap was.

It's right there in the lyrics, Stuart, it's fine.

My music taste is by song, not by band. But holy poo poo I love Arab Strap.
Nothing beats a bit of Cherubs, or Haunt Me, or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqE2AUuOFOs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Rarity posted:

The song's 30 years old, they probably don't know it grandad

I think the worst example I saw of that was at some sort of pro-military 'festival' or something in London (?) can't remember what it was for but it was in the last 4-5 years (I saw a bit on tv not live) was Status Quo singing "in the army now" and it was patently obvious that the majority of the audience didn't have a clue who they were or what the song was (though it is an anti-army song I think!)

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

fuctifino posted:

Rachel Riley is trending
https://twitter.com/IrrumAli/status/1779808452509864257

Her 'misunderstood' and now deleted tweet:

Rachel has of course has been digging downwards the entire time:
https://twitter.com/RachelRileyRR/status/1779618188440785062

it is with a heavy heart that I apologise for my post which was too sophisticated for you dipshits to understand

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*drives into the thread in a Ford F250 blaring Fortunate Son*

There is no anti-militarism song that someone can't be terminally stupid enough to turn pro-war.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Banging out Paul Hadcastle's 19 at the Armed Forces Day Party.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
nice to see liz is continuing to take it well
https://twitter.com/HenryRiley1/status/1779812801541754949
https://twitter.com/HenryRiley1/status/1779813762419110051

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
She could just live her life being rich and famous for being an attractive blonde who's good at the multiplication tables but instead she has to be an absolute loving dickhead online. I don't think it's really going to foreclose that many options for her in the industry, but still it's not like she has JKR money to just be unemployed and maintain herself in the manner accustomed.

E: Riley, not Truss, lol

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

sisytruss rolling that lettuce back up the hill

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Hey, it could be worse if you are born 1984 or earlier your birthday was closer to WW2 than today.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Starbucks posted:

Hey, it could be worse if you are born 1984 or earlier your birthday was closer to WW2 than today.

:hmmno:

E: ha; actually that precise date won't be for another month! gently caress you!

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 15, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Starbucks posted:

man wtf you gotta wake up and choose violence, monday is bad enough

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Funka posted:

I grew up in america in the 90s and I don't think I heard that Blur song much until I moved here. Their song that goes "woo hoo" was a big hit there though. Oasis and Bush were more popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZvZ_wu3c6Y

grobbo posted:

You know what the true scandal of 90s music is? Stuart Murdoch spending the past 30 years pretending he didn't actually know what an Arab Strap was.

Stop making me google things I'd be ashamed for my mother to see...

Starbucks posted:

I was on my 3rd career by then.... aarghhhh. I'm not old!
(Ed: anyone born before 1971 was closer to the end of WW1 than now).

I read things in Agatha Christie books written in the 1920s that still existed when I first went to uni in London ('big Kodak place in Regent St' and also a diner on the corner of Tottenham Court Road & Goodge St which had changed its name but was otherwise still there) but are now long since gone.

:corsair: :corsair:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 15, 2024

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

feeling young & cool all of a sudden

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Trying posted:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Trying posted:

this but not sudden :c00l:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just recalculated and actually yeah I'm past my WW2 Point :smith:

Next major milestone is the Meldrew Point

https://twitter.com/MeldrewPoint/status/1775816992664027456?t=7vahJJikKwtiPUWUIaNWKA&s=19

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

grobbo posted:

I never realised the story behind this until now, anyway I think the true shame is coming from Falkirk even if it does have a nice wheel these days and some kelpies.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Boer War: born in 1963 or earlier :)

Rorke's Drift: 1952

Crimean War: 1940

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 15, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

HopperUK posted:

My bestie and I were too cool to get involved in the Oasis-Blur fight and decided we liked Pulp instead. Blur is definitely more interesting to listen to these days than Oasis though. Don't think I'd seek out an Oasis song on purpose.
Looking back, Oasis was for people who pretended to be smart but were actually idiots, Blur was for people who were actually smart but were playing idiots.

Pulp was for people who were actually smart and pretending to be even smarter on top.

I was into Oasis :smith:

E: actually I was discovering the Manic Street Preachers 'A Design for Life' era and Radiohead because I was at that teenage point of staring down the barrel of a life time of having a job and thinking this is bullshit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rust Martialis posted:

Boer War: born in 1963 or earlier :)

Rorke's Drift: 1952

Crimean War: 1940

Boer war gets me but fortunately Rorke's drift doesn't.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Looking back, Oasis was for people who pretended to be smart but were actually idiots, Blur was for people who were actually smart but were playing idiots.

Pulp was for people who were actually smart and pretending to be even smarter on top.

I was into Oasis :smith:

E: actually I was discovering the Manic Street Preachers 'A Design for Life' era and Radiohead because I was at that teenage point of staring down the barrel of a life time of having a job and thinking this is bullshit.

I was above all that as a Chartered Surveyor - ahem.

(I was down the Marquee or Dome or Astoria at least once a week banging that head that doesn't bang to assorted thrash / death bands and on at least one occasion carried semi-conscious from drink down the stairs by two male friends, and on another occasion crawling round on the floor with my then bezzie mate - also a Chartered Surveyor - uncontrollably laughing after sniffing then spilling amyl nitrate everywhere - couldn't get the smell out of my leather jacket for ages.)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A late 1960s child here. :corsair:

loving hell. :stare:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of my friends is a fully qualified accountant and she is one of the most deligtfully insane goth metalheads I've ever known.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(I was down the Marquee or Dome or Astoria at least once a week banging that head that doesn't bang to assorted thrash / death bands and on at least one occasion carried semi-conscious from drink down the stairs by two male friends, and on another occasion crawling round on the floor with my then bezzie mate - also a Chartered Surveyor - uncontrollably laughing after sniffing then spilling amyl nitrate everywhere - couldn't get the smell out of my leather jacket for ages.)

This makes me wonder if the woman from the Smack My Bitch Up video was also a Chartered Surveyor

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

A late 1960s child here. :corsair:

loving hell. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr0-7Ds79zo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

Rebecca, the one who Danny Dyer called out for being a homophobic piece of poo poo

She was also married to actor/documentary maker Ross Kemp. She (allegedly) used to beat the poo poo out of him.
On at least one occasion, she was arrested over assaulting him.