Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Lol, china stays winning

https://twitter.com/business/status/1740023128720380196

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

congrats to Flapyojacks

I work for a European company for a European wage. :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

liberals and chuds aren’t mirrors. liberals are to the right of chuds pretty substantially

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Casey Finnigan posted:

my company is still big into DEI stuff. No one cares at all about it cause it's just some posters they put on a wall and sometimes they'll put out donuts and be like "these are women's history donuts"

i used to do so many events with DEI departments of banks and poo poo. they aren't budgeting for them anymore, lol

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Abner Assington posted:

one of the joys of being a dude is that you can fit at least 2-3 weeks into a carryon and lol if I trust any dipshit American airline to not lose my bag; I’m within reaching distance of my stuff at all times.

Hope you paid for priority seating, or your carryon is getting checked anyway.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, Elon has not aged well over the last 13 years.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Wow, Elon has not aged well over the last 13 years.

Being a Nazi turns you into a litch pretty quickly.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

gotta pay to check your bag. also gotta pay to not check your bag. the only free option is randomized bag checks ; understandably anxiety-inducing for most ppl

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Harik posted:

look if you're a visible minority you're already used to being harassed everywhere you go, so it's obvious that it's actually much worse for a white person to be mildly inconvenienced because they're not prepared for it.

they're right but for all the wrong reasons, lol

economists call this kind of thinking "pareto-efficient"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
let's split the difference: i'll give you half the fee, and you don't ask whether or not I have a bag, deal?

Apr 15, 2024
chuds Detected

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

That's an awful lot of words used to avoid saying COVID lmao

It was also the EU doing the kill all hope bit they love

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Church rummage sales still have good deals, bc they want to get rid of everything over one or two days.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The best way to fly is with a carry-on backpack less than 35 liters. I've never been asked to check mine. Always fits in the overheads. No luggage carousels.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

Been getting this guy on TikTok recently and he's right that Goodwill and most other secondhand shops have gone bananas with their pricing on things most people wouldn't even take for free. I used to do a lot of shopping at stores like this but ever since people have discovered the game of flipping "vintage" poo poo on Etsy for huge markups pretty much all of these shops have gotten wise and adjusted their prices accordingly.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7345630381833522475

Here’s my short history of thrifting from the 2000s to today if anyone cares. ask me about the time goodwill was tying to sell a used needle collection bin.

- eBay and Etsy first started becoming popular (around like, the 2000s I guess?). esoteric knowledge about vintage, collectibles, used tools, whatever, that you previously had to talk to some antisocial nerd in person to learn about, becomes more accessible online

- Macklemore comes out with the thrift store song in 2012. thrifting was steadily becoming more popular with the younger generations (my theory is this is because of declining economic conditions and the death of mid level consumer goods) but there was a massive jump after this song. thrift store prices begin to accelerate much faster than previous years.

- second wave of e-commerce apps like depop, poshmark, Facebook marketplace,
to a smaller extent Instagram marketplace become popular in the 2010s. it becomes much easier and more popular for anyone to open an online shop and promote/integrate it into the rest of their social media. at this point, thrift stores take note and prices accelerate even more.

- pandemic happens. people lose their jobs and turn their eBay side business into full time jobs. people are inundated with social media and start to seek out one of a kind vintage pieces online. people who would normally not buy anything used start having to because of the supply chain. basically all the previous trends in the past decade start to accelerate.

The state of thrifting today is that with ever increasing demand and a perpetually constrained supply, prices are just going up for any used merchandise, including thrift store prices. if you watch people shop, it’s more likely than not that they are looking poo poo up on their phone to flip on eBay and buying accordingly. in major metro areas, there are usually multiple flippers who will camp out at a single thrift store from open to close and sift through literally everything that hits the floor. it’s become more common at estate sales that you will catch elbows from other buyers if you are trying to go for something particularly valuable. some online resellers will hang onto merchandise for YEARS trying to flip it online for some ridiculous sum.

thrift store prices are through the roof and, for cheaper items, can be more expensive than paying full retail. thrift stores also also loving overrun with cheapest possible used aliexpress/temu/Amazon poo poo and target/Zara overstock lots that are priced at 50% of retail.

these days, even sifting through all the cheap crap isn’t enough, all the really good stuff gets bought minutes after it hits the floor. you basically have to be in the right place at the right time or you’re getting nothing but junk.

kreeningsons has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Apr 15, 2024

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Beached Whale posted:

Been getting this guy on TikTok recently and he's right that Goodwill and most other secondhand shops have gone bananas with their pricing on things most people wouldn't even take for free. I used to do a lot of shopping at stores like this but ever since people have discovered the game of flipping "vintage" poo poo on Etsy for huge markups pretty much all of these shops have gotten wise and adjusted their prices accordingly.

I knew a guy who was doing this poo poo on eBay in volume large enough that he had to rent warehouse space back in the early 2000s. It's incredibly stupid, but I don't fully blame places like Goodwill when you've got dudes rolling up in cargo vans with full crews like they're about to rob the place.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i blame goodwill

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

You can hack this by microwaving your beer before you drink it

:mods:

041524_2
Apr 15, 2024
the state of Thrifting today, .txt

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

My wife is a big fan of casually scrolling through our local facebook yard sale groups and it's an endless sea of giant hutches and poo poo from clearly dead people's estates that are asking for like $500 and you have to haul'em yourself

a fact we found out when her mother passed last year is that nobody, absolutely nobody, wants old giant furniture at any price
apartments have nowhere to put giant hutches or ornately carved dressers or whatever, and even if they did nobody is paying $200 for what you'll be leaving on the roadside next week

Scandinavian/mid century modern furniture started becoming more popular throughout the 2000s and 2010s in part because it lends itself to efficient and space conscious living.

there are still victorian furniture Facebook groups with tons of boomers who insist they are holding onto massive hutches, hall tables and poo poo because “they’ll come back into style” and “trends are cyclical”. which honestly I find sort of sweet, but that poo poo is not coming back into style lol.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

Scandinavian/mid century modern furniture started becoming more popular throughout the 2000s and 2010s in part because it lends itself to efficient and space conscious living.\

pretty much, if you have an older house you can't fit the massive new poo poo into it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they'll come back into style, ornate looking stuff is cool

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

kreeningsons posted:

Scandinavian/mid century modern furniture started becoming more popular throughout the 2000s and 2010s in part because it lends itself to efficient and space conscious living.

there are still victorian furniture Facebook groups with tons of boomers who insist they are holding onto massive hutches, hall tables and poo poo because “they’ll come back into style” and “trends are cyclical”. which honestly I find sort of sweet, but that poo poo is not coming back into style lol.

The worst part is there was was a window from like 1970-2000 where all those overly ornate grandma hutch pieces were made just as cheaply and shittily as anything from ikea AND they're oversized and gaudy.

The style is sort of coming back in some ways but people are picky about buying really old stuff and refinishing it or buying already refinished older pieces.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Nybble posted:

Getting Polish (and thus EU) citizenship is possible via ancestry, there's some law firms that can help with the process. Takes a decent amount of time but if you have the smallest connection to family there, you can get it done for under $3k.

I'm working on this right now. The lawyers don't seem necessary, just some forms and maybe a consulate visit (NY and DC aren't far). So maybe $500 to get to an EU passport.

All you need is a parent / grandparent who was born there after 1921 and some of their documentation. Thankfully my grandmother still has her original birth certificate along with naturalization etc. Also I learned you can get certified copies of your biological parents' birth certificates without their consent or knowledge, which is nice for people who are estranged or otherwise don't want to interact with them.

Only downside I know of, aside from the cost, is that you lose the ability to get a top secret clearance if you wanna touch computers for Raytheon, but that's not something I've got in the cards.

fart barterer has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Apr 15, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Beached Whale posted:

what the gently caress is going on

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

everything is too drat expensive and it's destroyed our collective ability to agree on a "reasonable" price for anything

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Scarabrae posted:

the rent is too drat high!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
what should a milkshake cost? that's milk and ice cream, mixed together. $2? $5? $10? $20? depending on the menu you are looking at all 4 of these prices are reasonable.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

this sounds pretty good, maybe i will try it

slumming it on the periphery of our empire could be fun for a while

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

041524_2 posted:

the state of Thrifting today, .txt

I like to browse FB marketplace but don't have room for any more furniture. I enjoy telling people that they're selling a Herman Miller XYZ and should Google the price, then I see the listing go from $25 to $750. The other day someone sent me screenshots of the people who messaged when it was $25 and then starting freaking out at them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Scarabrae posted:

This poo poo isn't new (and I'd honestly say that it's not even a post-2020 thing) and there are more people than you can possibly imagine whose entire livelihood is based on thrift store arbitrage.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my furniture is all 100 year old behemoths from my grandma. It's a PITA to move and they're usually just slightly too big for the apts I can afford but they are so powerful I'll never abandon them

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

You know what's also a thing? Library book sale arbitrage.

Go to a library sale and you'll see hordes of people tearing through the piles with barcode scanners attached to their phones, because the phone camera is too slow and you're somehow competing with twenty other people at this library in the middle of nowhere.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I knew a guy who was doing this poo poo on eBay in volume large enough that he had to rent warehouse space back in the early 2000s. It's incredibly stupid, but I don't fully blame places like Goodwill when you've got dudes rolling up in cargo vans with full crews like they're about to rob the place.

the only silver lining to higher thrift store prices is if they are high enough that an eBay flipper doesn’t have enough margin, then it has some chance of being bought by someone who will actually use whatever it is. usually that’s 50-75% of whatever you can get for it on eBay. no one wins except the thrift store.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Paradoxish posted:

You know what's also a thing? Library book sale arbitrage.

Go to a library sale and you'll see hordes of people tearing through the piles with barcode scanners attached to their phones, because the phone camera is too slow and you're somehow competing with twenty other people at this library in the middle of nowhere.

yea there is at least one guy that always shows up to the monthly library sales here with buckets and just loads them up with whatever reference/textbooks are for sale without even looking at them because all the books are less than a dollar

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

slave to my cravings posted:

yea there is at least one guy that always shows up to the monthly library sales here with buckets and just loads them up with whatever reference/textbooks are for sale without even looking at them because all the books are less than a dollar

i wonder if that's a lower cost per sheet than toilet paper

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

People will also try to make deals with the library to buy everything that's left at the end of the sale for like $0.01/book or less.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fits my needs posted:

lmao white guys complaining about air travel

lmao when the tsa guy laughed at my name when we were coming through miami and said, 'yeah you're not getting through quick.'
then me and my wife spent a couple of hours in a waiting room with a buncha other people, almost missed our connecting flight home.
and this is the best case scenario i think cuz they didnt actually interrogate me and ask a buncha dumbass questions.

one time i lost my wallet right before a flight so i told the gate agent i had absolutely no proof of my identity and they took me to the special Lost White Boy queue

i made it onto the plane before my gf at the time did, she was loving pissed

if you don't think white privilege is real you're not using it right

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

what should a milkshake cost? that's milk and ice cream, mixed together. $2? $5? $10? $20? depending on the menu you are looking at all 4 of these prices are reasonable.

that pulp fiction scene sure hits different now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

in college i used to work for an Amazon used book seller organizing his inventory. one day I noticed that he had been tearing out the first page in every book which had been stamped with “[FREE BOOK CHARITY]. NOT FOR RESALE” because that’s where he got hundreds of books a week for free to sell. he said he made more on the $4 shipping charge than the price of the book and that if I told the charity they would ban him and his entire network of resellers. he was nice but he was also a disgusting human being living in near squalor.

kreeningsons has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Apr 15, 2024