Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe that will change under the HHH booking? Idk how long he has been in control of that.

They'll get notions sometimes that the draft is a real, actual thing, and there'll be a period where Raw and Smackdown are generally separated. The period following the first draft in '02, and the '16 draft that lead into the Smackdown Live era are the most notable examples of this. For a time, the two shows did feel, if not unique, then at least somewhat different. Generally once a year they have a BRAND VERSUS BRAND show, in which Raw Smackdown, and depending on the timeframe, ECW/NXT wrestlers would fight for the pretty meaningless Brand Supremacy. That did lead to a pretty fun Survivor Series match in, i think 2016, but historically, theres been little motivation to root for one brand over another.

The problem also was that Vince's booking was erratic at best, so a Smackdown guy might show up on Raw, cause why not, or the brand split won't matter this week, this month, or Wrestlemania is just around the corner so guys show up wherever, or times where Smackdown definitely had a B show feeling, and the main guys would show up on Raw anyway, and the draft would be rendered kinda of moot. Plus, when you were watching since that first draft, there were only so many times you could see RANDY ORTON IS HEADING TO SMACKDOWN!!! before it stopped being fresh.

At the least, you should probably get a few things you haven't seen in a while (or if you're new, you haven't seen before, at all. Drew on Smackdown! Pretty Deadly on Raw! An NXT guy on either! Things of about that level!) out of the draft, the real question is, will it matter much even 6 months down the road? The answer there is historically, it probably won't stop an injured Raw guy from returning as a Smackdown Superstar and vice versa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's not a dig at anyone in particular. I just don't get the mental loops some people here and elsewhere have to jump through when they vociferously hate on WWE and everyone in it, and then at the same time praise ex-Fed wrestlers in AEW who worked there for most of their careers.

Or Danielson, who is my favorite wrestler ever, who had the worst response i’ve seen to the Vince crimes. Personally I forgive him but there’s definitely mental loops involved for certain posters who don’t even mention it but when Cody gives a tepid response or Seth gives a good one they are “pieces of poo poo”.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The Draft is super simple to understand:

You get "Drafted" by one of the Fake Brands that make up the company that wants everyone to think it's a League when it's not, and from then on you can ONLY appear on that Brand's show UNLESS you're a big enough draw that they need you to show up wherever they need you to pop a rating OR the company sees so little value in you that they don't even bother drafting you to any of the three shows at which point you can go wherever they need you to eat a pin....BUT there's also the Wild Card Rule which means you're allowed to cross brands BUT ONLY three times per month unless you're Lars Sullivan who can do it four times a month BUT if you try to show up on the wrong show more than that.....something happens....BUT ALSO there's Survivor Series which is the ONE TIME A YEAR you're allowed to fight someone from another show.

EASY.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Eat My Fuc posted:

Or Danielson, who is my favorite wrestler ever, who had the worst response i’ve seen to the Vince crimes. Personally I forgive him but there’s definitely mental loops involved for certain posters who don’t even mention it but when Cody gives a tepid response or Seth gives a good one they are “pieces of poo poo”.

people are going to give you a hard time for this but you're right

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

are you the real victim here

Turns out the real victim here is actually Cody.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Frankly I’d prefer there be no draft at all. With competition like AEW and NJPW there’s just no need to split their roster to create the illusion of two territories.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wonder if the brand split will get harder when one show is on TV and the other on Netflix. I guess probably not because it was pretty porous between Fox and USA.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

real baby vibe in thread of late. making noise dont knowe what to do

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
do you think new viewers (haha) are going to go back and be really loving confused by black and gold NXT and how it was presented as the most important thing

edit: and subsequently even more confused by game show NXT

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The D in Detroit posted:

do you think new viewers (haha) are going to go back

No

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

How does the WWE draft work? Do those wrestlers only wrestle on the show they are drafted onto? I've seen a number of wrestlers who are supposed to be a specific shows but they appear on the opposite show quite frequently.

there have been a few periods where they stuck very hard to the 'you only wrestle on the show you're drafted to' angle, and even a couple periods where they had branded pay-per-views with only the big 4 (rumble, survivor series, summerslam, and wrestlemania) being cross-promotional, but they inevitably get bored and start having main eventers show up on each other's shows to pop a rating, and then gently caress it we've got nothing else to do here's yoshi tatsu vs evan bourne. is yoshi tatsu on raw or smackdown. who even cares. the neon genesis evangelion of the pacific rim. they just keep doing the draft anyway because, gently caress it i guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the draft is literally just there to pop a rating, nobody remembers it after a week. best not to think about it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The draft is basically WWE's rankings.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

MJeff posted:

Controversial...but brave.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
They kinda have to have a brand split at this point so they can have 2 sets of people going for similar titles and not have to cut many people. There would be so many “main eventers” - there are like 70 more wrestlers signed than there were before the brand splits

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I was pretty much out of wrestling during the period they'd have Raw and Smackdown exclusive PPVs and that poo poo sounds exhausting to sit through.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the secret was to just watch all the smackdown pay per views becasue thats where all the good wrestlers were and dont bother with the raw ones

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

Remember that time Smackdown had a top 10 list for 2 weeks just so Randy Orton could feud with Jinder Mahal

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Endorph posted:

the secret was to just watch all the smackdown pay per views becasue thats where all the good wrestlers were and dont bother with the raw ones

Watching classics PPVs like Great American Bash 2004 with *checks notes* Kenzo Suzuki/Billy Gunn and Mordecai/Hardcore Holly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

look would you rather watch that or the era of raw ppvs where steiner and test wrestled on seemingly every show

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Kenzo Suzuki/Billy Gunn

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

For a like to like comparison, the RAW ppv 3 weeks after GAB 04

Tag Team Match
Rhyno & Tajiri defeat Garrison Cade & Jonathan Coachman (7:29)

Singles Match
Batista defeats Chris Jericho (12:19)

World Tag Team Title Match
La Resistance (Rob Conway & Sylvain Grenier) (c) defeat Eugene & Ric Flair by DQ (12:28)

No Disqualification Match
Matt Hardy Version 1.0 defeats Kane (10:29)

Intercontinental Title Match
Edge defeats Randy Orton (c) (26:36) - TITLE CHANGE !!!

World Women's Title #1 Contendership Match
Victoria defeats Molly Holly (6:15)

World Heavyweight Title Match
Chris Benoit (c) defeats Triple H (29:03)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ill level i was mostly thinking of the one where eddie and lesnar went like half an hour

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love Survivor Series, the one time per year WWE Raw and Smackdown Superstars face off in a battle for brand supremacy!

I also love when they draft people who aren't actively on any roster and only technically signed. Gable Steveson will be making his mark on Raw any day now!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eat My Fuc posted:

Two of the four people being mentioned here are currently drawing paychecks from the place that did the crimes that everyone is so fired up about

One of them called out some of the people who were involved in said sex crimes immediately after he won the world title and then hugged them

You are leaving out some pretty major additional factors in the conversation when you just say “Cody had a tepid take”

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Was it December to Dismember that killed the concept of brand-exclusive PPVs? I feel like that's what I read ages ago. Either way, I feel like the branding was amongst the least of that show's problems.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The last brand exclusive PPV was Fastlane 2018

Rusev vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
US Title Match - Randy Orton vs. Bobby Roode
Natalya/Carmella vs. Becky Lynch/Naomi
Smackdown Tag Team Title Match - The New Day vs. The Usos
Smackdown Women's Title Match - Ruby Riott vs. Charlotte
WWE Title Match - Baron Corbin vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn vs. John Cena vs. AJ Styles

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

WWE Title Match - Baron Corbin vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn vs. John Cena vs. AJ Styles

looks deece tbh

bartok
May 10, 2006

Rarity posted:

That was the last WWE show I ever attended. It was an extremely mediocre PPV.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

PWInsider is reporting Rhea got injured in the backstage segment last week and may have to vacate the title.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Pylons posted:

PWInsider is reporting Rhea got injured in the backstage segment last week and may have to vacate the title.

maybe hold on to that chair a little tighter next time, liv.

https://twitter.com/WrestleOps/status/1777511230074151391#m

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Then why even do it? Seems like the perfect mechanism to setup/reset storylines or throw unforeseen wrenches in the path of wrestlers.

They were pretty strict about having wrestlers stick to their brand for a few years after the initial split, so it was a big deal when you had "inter-brand matches".

The problem was, they really failed at getting anyone new over outside of a few top guys, so when the top stars on a brand got injured, left, or sadly died, the brand-specific PPVs got loving dire.

poo poo like John Cena vs Jesus (not that one), Undertaker vs The Dudleys, Big Show vs Bradshaw in top-of-the-card matches.

It wasn't for a lack of talent either, just the usual Vince stuff. pushing charisma-less bodybuilders, saddling potential stars with joke gimmicks, and treating women's wrestling like... well, like how he treats women in general.

Anyway they stopped doing brand-specific PPVs then eventually combined the belts, then repeated the cycle a few more times idk I stopped paying close attention in the 2010's

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the whole idea of the draft is dumb too bc afaik no combat sports have drafts lol

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Remember that one draft where they kept cutting to the "network executives" in board rooms marking out cause they got Dana Brooke or whatever?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Drakkel posted:

Remember that one draft where they kept cutting to the "network executives" in board rooms marking out cause they got Dana Brooke or whatever?

Who could forget Cleatus marking out?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My favorite moment in the draft is when Triple H got drafted to Raw and demanded to be traded back. Apparently Triple is worth two Dudley Boys and a Booker T.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Drakkel posted:

The draft was fantastic for letting everyone know who WWE cared about and who the geeks and loser fuckfaces were. They wouldn't go crazy over drafting Dana Brooke, they'd draft her along with five others to drive the point home that these idiots were only worth 1/4th Triple H.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

The only good one I remember was the year they had a single new wrestler showing up each show and it lasted 5 weeks.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Who could forget Cleatus marking out?

That was the football robot on Fox, right

I thought that was cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The 2007 one was probably the most noteworthy. The setup was that they would do inter-promotional matches where the winning show would get a random draft pick. That included ECW Champion Bobby Lashley vs. SmackDown's Chris Benoit. Lashley won and the random pick to ECW ended up being Benoit. Later in the night, Lashley was drafted to Raw, meaning he had to vacate his brand-specific title. Also, Vince's limo exploded in the final segment.

So the ECW title was vacated and a four-man tournament was thrown together to crown a new champ, which included new ECW guy Chris Benoit. And we know how that ended up...