Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

my twitter feed is blowing up because all the academic neuroscientists finally realized that the new budget slashed funding for the BRAIN initiative at the NIH because its director posted a blog about it two days ago. it is very funny because they're all still so bought in that there's a fair number of credulous dipshits saying things like "they must have done this by mistake!" and thinking that writing to their reps will cause them to rectify this oversight. ah, such innocence.

I mean, sure, write to your reps, but they did this on purpose along with all the other atrocious poo poo because it was an easy thing to cut and you're an easy target. they haven't figured out the game because they're too privileged to have been affected by Dem admins in the past.

Unit JOE-01 has awakened. BRAIN is no longer relevant to our plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Almost immediately after the October 7 attacks and the launch of Israel’s scorched-earth war against Gaza, tensions began to boil within the newsroom over the Times coverage. Some staffers said they believed the paper was going out of its way to defer to Israel’s narrative on the events and was not applying even standards in its coverage. Arguments began fomenting on internal Slack and other chat groups.

The debates between reporters on the Jerusalem bureau-led WhatsApp group, which at one point included 90 reporters and editors, became so intense that Pan, the international editor, interceded.

“We need to do a better job communicating with each other as we report the news, so our discussions are more productive and our disagreements less distracting,” Pan wrote in a November 28 WhatsApp message viewed by The Intercept and first reported by the Wall Street Journal. “At its best, this channel has been a quick, transparent and productive space to collaborate on a complex, fast-moving story. At its worst, it’s a tense forum where the questions and comments can feel accusatory and personal.”

Pan bluntly stated: “Do not use this channel for raising concerns about coverage.”

toe the line or get fired!

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

mcmagic posted:

I don't think the president has real any ability to control inflation. Trump cut taxes for rich people which is inflationary and prices and interest rates were lower. Biden cut the COVID era safety net and still got higher prices and rates. He does deserve to lose because of Gaza though.

shut up mcmagic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Corporate media is as complicit in genocide as Kirby, Biden, and Blinken.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol remember when they wouldn't use the word "torture" so they said "enhanced interrogation" and oopsies turned out we tortured some folks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Corporate media is as complicit in genocide as Kirby, Biden, and Blinken.

Absolutely

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
the failin' NYT is the enemy of the people

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

Hollowing out the US military from within like a predatory wasp might be the one good thing capitalism has ever done

You might not like Hitler, but no-one else can kill Hitler.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Nichael posted:

It's funny that no other Speaker did the "emiritus" bullshit by the way.

"The Democratic Caucus named her "Speaker Emerita".[54][55]"

I did some digging when I first heard it and I think it's just what all former speakers get? She was the only one who made a huge deal of it though.

It's an elite club with august names such as dennis hastert among its few living members.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

those words are not fit to print!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Harik posted:

I did some digging when I first heard it and I think it's just what all former speakers get? She was the only one who made a huge deal of it though.

It's an elite club with august names such as dennis hastert among its few living members.

i feel like if you get kicked out of a speaker position it's usually because you're not in congress anymore, right?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

i feel like if you get kicked out of a speaker position it's usually because you're not in congress anymore, right?

remember the "scandal" when she was asked to give up the speaker's office?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

the failin' NYT is the enemy of the people

qft

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

that guy who put his feet on Pelosi's desk is a hero. if only he had pissed on it too

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

that guy who put his feet on Pelosi's desk is a hero. if only he had pissed on it too

same but the guy that stole aoc's shoes

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation

my bony fealty posted:

On September 1, 2023, the Federal Bureau of Prisons [FBP] inmate locator page showed Richard Barnett, age 63, incarcerated at FCI Oakdale, a low security 835-inmate federal correctional institution located in Oakdale, Louisiana; the FBP inmate entry for Barnett then showed: "Release Date: 02/12/2027". In March 2024 FBP lists Barnett as being held at Seagoville Federal Correctional Institution FCI Seagoville, near Dallas TX, with a release date of 14 December 2026, with inmate number 24841-509.[28]

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ArmedZombie posted:

On September 1, 2023, the Federal Bureau of Prisons [FBP] inmate locator page showed Richard Barnett, age 63, incarcerated at FCI Oakdale, a low security 835-inmate federal correctional institution located in Oakdale, Louisiana; the FBP inmate entry for Barnett then showed: "Release Date: 02/12/2027". In March 2024 FBP lists Barnett as being held at Seagoville Federal Correctional Institution FCI Seagoville, near Dallas TX, with a release date of 14 December 2026, with inmate number 24841-509.[28]

free him

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Only a couple more months, hang tight.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The feds gave chicago $75 million for "security" during the DNC convention; protestors are objecting to plans to kettle them in a 2-block section of grant park, 4 miles from where the convention will be held at the united center; and police have come up with a mass-arrest plan that the aclu is suing to overturn.

That's an awful lot of work that's going into Preserving Democracy by Destroying It.

quote:

As a result of the monitoring team’s probe of CPD’s handling of the George Floyd protest, CPD was required to revamp its policy for handling First Amendment protests to prevent what happened during the summer of 2020 from happening again.

That policy prohibits officers from arresting those engaged in First Amendment protests for “minor or petty offenses … or for actions that pose no immediate threat to the safety of the community, or others, or of causing property damage.”

The policy also requires officers to give protestors an opportunity to comply before they are subject to arrest or detention.

However, the department’s proposed mass arrest policy would reverse many of those protections and “does far too little to prevent a repeat of violent and systemic First and Fourth Amendment violations and Consent Decree violations during CPD’s response to protests around the 2024 DNC and beyond,” according to the consent decree coalition.

The policy, which has not been finalized, would not require officers to document every time they used force against a member of the public — only when someone is injured, in violation of the consent decree, according to the coalition.

If allowed to take effect, the policy would limit the ability of investigators to hold officers accountable for unjustifiably using force against Chicagoans, according to the coalition.

In addition, the coalition said, the policy does not properly limit the use of police dogs or ban “kettling,” the confinement by police of a group of demonstrators or protesters in a small area, as a method of crowd control.

Chicagoans were not given enough time to offer CPD leaders feedback on the policy after police brass engaged in a “sham public comment process,” according to the coalition. The monitoring team has repeatedly been critical of CPD’s efforts to allow members of the public to shape police policy.

https://news.wttw.com/2024/04/08/reform-groups-say-cpd-s-plan-handle-protests-around-dnc-violates-first-amendment-consent

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

trump is planning on it, as he should.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Nichael posted:

It's so unnecessary! "Former Speaker" should be enough. Why is she getting a loving title like nobility?

And the answer is, she is American nobility. This is what we got.

In my university department people with Emeritus in their title are usually given that role so they can preserve some of their benefits. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done so she could keep a specific office or staffing or something.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ArmedZombie posted:

lmao

not quite as egregious as what we do to a lot of people, but it's very rich when we bitch about NK or China locking people up for essentially symbolic crimes. meanwhile, we give a dude in his 60s multiple years for being rude to the speaker margarita. he's fortunate he wasn't black though, otherwise the capital murder squad would've outright killed him.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

In my university department people with Emeritus in their title are usually given that role so they can preserve some of their benefits. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done so she could keep a specific office or staffing or something.

Maybe, but I don't think this is the case. I think it's purely ceremonial insanity. Libs love titles in the nation that was founded on rejecting titles of monarchs.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

The feds gave chicago $75 million for "security" during the DNC convention; protestors are objecting to plans to kettle them in a 2-block section of grant park, 4 miles from where the convention will be held at the united center; and police have come up with a mass-arrest plan that the aclu is suing to overturn.

That's an awful lot of work that's going into Preserving Democracy by Destroying It.

https://news.wttw.com/2024/04/08/reform-groups-say-cpd-s-plan-handle-protests-around-dnc-violates-first-amendment-consent

Someone else mentioned it recently: I remember very clearly how much liberals complained about "free speech zones" back in 2002/2003. As always, they were just taking notes for when they got back into power.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I don't think the president has real any ability to control inflation. Trump cut taxes for rich people which is inflationary and prices and interest rates were lower. Biden cut the COVID era safety net and still got higher prices and rates. He does deserve to lose because of Gaza though.

Richard Nixon

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

post hole digger posted:

same but the guy that stole aoc's shoes

smythe...

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

not to pile on, but the only thing you need to know about the American Executive branch is it has unlimited power when they wanna do Bad Thing, and they are the smol bean president when they wanna do Good Thing. This even applied to Trump (never locked up :abuela:).

the only reason I would ever give this model of politics any credit is that I suppose the ultimate check on America's government is a bullet in the head, and the deep state would outright kill you if you weaponized the Executive for good. that said, this is largely a skill issue, and why a leftist president's first task should be filling the various agencies with zealots for the cause. if only out of self-preservation and self-defense.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

It would be so immensely more productive to put all these academics to work digging through archives to build an international, standardised. free and searchable online database of every piece of equipment designed, built and shipped around during WW2. Then just continue with units and formations and other wars when work starts winding down. Heck of a lot of drudgework but it would provide steady employment and some actual value for society (for me).

wouldnt this be a better job for the robots tho

actually no scratch that what am i thinking obviously we should put the robots in charge of making art instead

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah that was bad but at least kind of fun bad. Book six where he writes himself into the book and then kills off a main character saving him from the guy who irl hit him with a van, who he writes as a pathetic drug addicted alcoholic loser, is absolutely peak wtf are you even doing Steve

i see so what youre saying is that steven king is the joe biden of mainstream horror fiction

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I got recommended 11/22/63 (bad), fairy tale (really horrendously bad), dr sleep (not great but kind of ok), and duma key (not really what I was looking for out of king but I guess the least bad of the four, by virtue of the inner monologue being someone of the same general generation as king and so at least plausibly believable)

If I get the urge again I’ll try but honestly I think I’ve had my fill of the dude after those four

did u know theres a hulu version of 11/22/63 that stars james franco in the leading role

after eighth episodes of going through all this convoluted bullshit to save john f kennedy he learns that his efforts have only succeeded in turning america into a postapocalyptic wasteland and just goes gently caress it never mind

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nichael posted:

This even applied to Trump (never locked up :abuela:).

Given Trump's experiences after 2020, I often wonder if maybe he'd do things differently knowing then what he knows now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

what the gently caress is this. Trotsky collaborated with Hitler.

right but in a severus snape type way where he was totally planning on stabbing him in the back just like ukraines national hero stephen bandera was going to do and killing all the jews first was just the price he had to pay to keep from blowing his cover

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ClassActionFursuit posted:

Given Trump's experiences after 2020, I often wonder if maybe he'd do things differently knowing then what he knows now

no, he is a pussy and he is very lazy

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

The only way to sell a Biden second term to the country that would have a chance in hell of winning is in comparison to Trump.

I think they could still turn it around at this point. Truman did.

Of course he was willing to say things that Biden Democrats never would so given that yeah yelling "Orange Cheeto" for the next 7 months is their only hope.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

CHEETO DUST!!! ON THE RESOLUTE DESK!!!!!!!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Inspired: blowjobs in the oval office

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

fondly remembering how disney decided that mulan was a problematic character because she outperforms her male coworkers by being good at lateral thinking and they fixed that and made the story feminist by giving her superpowers instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

wouldnt this be a better job for the robots tho

actually no scratch that what am i thinking obviously we should put the robots in charge of making art instead

I know a lot of historians and related humanities people who would love nothing more than a stable job puttering around in archives and helping to build a digital Library of Alexandria, rather than chase whatever changing trends university admins and grant givers dictate.