Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Most notable black robe was the guy that are sick in Wall Market

Edit: he wasn’t in a black robe but he had a tattoo and you understood once you found the black robes why he was the way he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
So am I missing something or does the gbike game handle like total poo poo? It feels like steering is orders of magnitude less responsive than any of the actual bike bits. If I see something at maximum draw distance it seems impossible to steer towards it in time even if the brakes are slammed on. If I use nitrous boost I can't even hit items I'm lined up for BC it throws me to one side of the track. This feels like when I was trying to play the shooting game but didn't realise I had motion controls on, like I'm just fighting the game to keep any control at all, except I can't see any options like that I've turned on by mistake

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 15, 2024

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
There’s absolutely something weird with the bike controls, like it has some sort of hidden motion control option or something that makes it turn like a boat in GTA. It’s not hard to be able to get the max scores on that thing, but it’s completely unintuitive to ride it slowly and avoid max speed/using the nitro boosts in order to do so.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Ugh I managed to clear the party animal score for it eventually but it was rough for me. I'm doing the Chocobo race now and it's mostly fine except whoever decided to make the cactuar gate timing different for each set will burn in hell I'm legit contemplating the jumping Chocobo I never needed to use before

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Are you using the brake on the G-bike? You are supposed to use the brake when you want to do tight steering.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

unattended spaghetti posted:

Man that's wild. This game is doing some weird poo poo with my memory. Like I keep thinking I've forgotten more of the original than I apparently had and yet somehow I keep having these little jolts of recognition prompted by the weird sensory recall this game pulls off time and time again, and every time this happens I'm like ok, I'm obviously forgetting something else I was eleven for fucks sakes, but no, it really was that strung together lol. Just riffing. I hate nostalgia bait but this poo poo really has been magic for me.

Thanks for confirming. Glad brain isn't total Swiss yet.

In the original game the eventual reveal is that Cloud is just blindly following his Reunion homing instinct like the other Black Cloaks, which he just barely manages to rationalize to himself as chasing Sephiroth.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Clarste posted:

In the original game the eventual reveal is that Cloud is just blindly following his Reunion homing instinct like the other Black Cloaks, which he just barely manages to rationalize to himself as chasing Sephiroth.

Which is essentially what is going on in Rebirth, right?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

lines posted:

Pretty much, don't forget that bit at Corel where a black cloak walks off the bridge and Cloud comes close to doing the same thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

lines posted:

Yeah, definitely, I just spoiled it because technically it's still a spoiler.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's also a bit where Hojo says something like "you're off to the reunion, I see." Then cloud is confused, and Hojo says "not consciously, I see." I can't remember where or when though. Game long.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

deoju posted:

There's also a bit where Hojo says something like "you're off to the reunion, I see." Then cloud is confused, and Hojo says "not consciously, I see." I can't remember where or when though. Game long.

In Costa Del Sol.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah spoiler bits were pretty much what I thought was going down. They did such an excellent job on Cloud and his stuff. Dude crazy. Love how everyone is just kinda like uh you okay buddy? Good. Moving on. Got to Gold Saucer last night and my loving God is this game ever a genuine labor of love.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
The way they expanded and fleshed out the rest of the party dynamic is probably my favourite part of Rebirth, there's so many nice little touches and watching how they handle Cloud as the story progresses is so good - it's very much a story from Cloud's POV and the way that becomes increasingly unreliable is handled super well imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As much as I like the original FF7, Rebirth does highlight the missteps it made with some of the less important characters. Red XIII and Cait Sith get more development and character in like two scenes than they got in the entirety of the original game. That's in addition to Yuffie (and to a lesser extent Vincent) getting to actually be part of the team. Even Barret comes out better because he gets to spend more time interacting with Tifa directly which is something the original game loses a bit. Them being the last two surviving members of Avalanche tends to get a bit lost.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I booted up chapter 13 from the chapter select menu and started working on the colosseum. The two-person matches weren’t too bad. The six-person ones, however… I think I’m going to need to look each of these up ahead of time because they each seem to require a unique strategy. I managed to muddle through Quezecoatl/Great Malboro before getting murdered by Mindflayer/King Zu. Is there a way to stop Mindflayer once he starts charging his insta-death move? Like if you hit him with a synergy ability?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I booted up chapter 13 from the chapter select menu and started working on the colosseum. The two-person matches weren’t too bad. The six-person ones, however… I think I’m going to need to look each of these up ahead of time because they each seem to require a unique strategy. I managed to muddle through Quezecoatl/Great Malboro before getting murdered by Mindflayer/King Zu. Is there a way to stop Mindflayer once he starts charging his insta-death move? Like if you hit him with a synergy ability?

He will always use Telekinesis beforehand. Hide behind the rocks he throws. I think if you stagger him during it it also stops it

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

^this is a better answer

at least on dynamic synergy attacks interrupt & pressure the mindflayer so you can burn it down pretty quick if you focus on that but not sure if that's true in hard

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the hardest thing to me in the game was King Zu because it genuinely felt like you had like ten seconds to break its wings while it is spewing damage everywhere, which isn't a huge problem solo but can be a lot in duo fights.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

the thing thats absolutely beating my rear end right now is the Kujata & Pheonix fight, like I've figured out what to do and the order in what to do it Kujata, Pheonix, Kujata but I just can't seem to pull it off, none of the others gave me much grief but I hate this fight in particular!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Put him to sleep and focus on Zu (you can also put Zu to sleep which interrupts Swan Song but I found that less useful overall).

Honestly the fact that Zu is present in basically all of those fights after a certain point made me go to do Chadley's Brutal challenges to get Gotterdammerung, but now I'm grinding to get my First Strike materia levelled up because I cannot stabilise against Gilgamesh at the start for the life of me..

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

i really hated the monster coliseum fight with the 2 dogs, and they just kept knocking me over.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

The way they expanded and fleshed out the rest of the party dynamic is probably my favourite part of Rebirth, there's so many nice little touches and watching how they handle Cloud as the story progresses is so good - it's very much a story from Cloud's POV and the way that becomes increasingly unreliable is handled super well imo

I gasped when in the final dungeon you switch to Aerith POV and watch Cloud drunkenly walking away and you’re like… ahhhh poo poo. Really sinks in how the others are seeing it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I had a very clear thought then thanks game for making me play as Jack from the Shining

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I still think my favorite bit of this is seeing Cloud rewrite his memories in real time to retcon Zack into the scene at the river. Just the bare minimum to keep his tattered psyche intact, with zero effort to address smaller details like 'how did I end up with this massive sword, anyways?'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the Nibelheim incident is so much more volatile now thanks to the new character beats. tifa no longer has anyone to confide to about cloud’s memory issues, and if she ever tried to bring it up to him it’d probably rip the scab off the jenova-clone thing from earlier - how can she tell him he’s pretending to be something he’s not after he nearly killed her under the delusion she was the same way?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

He will always use Telekinesis beforehand. Hide behind the rocks he throws. I think if you stagger him during it it also stops it

drat I had no idea, wtf

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

My favorite bit of crazy Cloud was during the Nibelheim protorelic quest after you run into Broden, Cloud looks at the ground and starts slowly walking after the black robes just like them for about two steps before catching himself and stopping before Red or Yuffie can notice. Then he says, "It's time to go...uhh look for the other relics, I mean!"

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Oh another little thing I just adored was the robe dude side quest in Corel. Just a whole rear end mini dungeon with a grappling hook twist, two new side characters, and a bespoke, if perfunctory, detective mechanic.

Though as a blind mofo I couldn't shake the feeling they could have made use of the throwaway flashlight mechanic as an accessibility navigation aid, since it plays a sound when one is on track. Wasted potential there imho.

Like, tbh, my biggest complaints with the game revolve around ux and quality of life. The battle system is, again, horribly taught. If I'd not played the first and talked with people online I think I'd have had a much harder time with this one, and it is further compounded by synergy abilities, synergy skills, very distinct characters, moves you can do that I am pretty sure were never documented, gating material auto collect behind finishing the game, shoving important tutorial material behind the battle simulator which for all intents and purposes looks like a throwaway side feature, the now patched checkpoint translation issue, on and on. It is genuinely baffling to me how something so polished in so many ways can have these kinds of gaffs, but at this point with the benefit of hindsight I'm guessing these are quirks of the specific team working on the series since some of this was present in Remake.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 15, 2024

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There are still some translation errors in the Assessment data, most notably King Zu’s swan song.

It’s a throwback to the original game, clearly!

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

the thing thats absolutely beating my rear end right now is the Kujata & Pheonix fight, like I've figured out what to do and the order in what to do it Kujata, Pheonix, Kujata but I just can't seem to pull it off, none of the others gave me much grief but I hate this fight in particular!

Use your elemental materia in armor. Maxed out is ideal but I did it with it only level 2 which is still a huge help. One person gets Elemental/Fire and Ice and another just Elemental/Fire. You now have two party members that are immune to all of phoenix's attacks and the person with Fire and Ice is immune to two of Kujata's modes.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The majority of these fights are just different combinations of the classified enemies. I suggest setting up your party so specific characters are just designed around fighting specific classified enemies. King Zu and Malboro especially. Put elemental=fire on defense for king zu and you'll have a much easier time. If you put Barret lower in the party position his Lifesaver ability will save the top position from a party wipe, then you can have them on revival.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 15, 2024

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I really wish this game had saveable materia presets. How is that not a super obvious feature for QoL.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Doesn't the elemental in Rebirth just count for your weapon and armor simultaneously? I know the original and even Remake required you to put it on the specific equipment, but I think I put one linked with fire on Barret's weapon and only noticed it was doing both once it leveled up and he was suddenly immune to fire.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Doesn't the elemental in Rebirth just count for your weapon and armor simultaneously? I know the original and even Remake required you to put it on the specific equipment, but I think I put one linked with fire on Barret's weapon and only noticed it was doing both once it leveled up and he was suddenly immune to fire.

No, it counts for your weapon if in a weapon Materia Slot and your armor if in an Armor materia slot.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I really like how elemental materia covers your weapon in the associated element, like an enchantment. It's such a neat little touch. I think it's been there since remake.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

deoju posted:

Game has so many good bits of lore and I remember 5% of them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No, it counts for your weapon if in a weapon Materia Slot and your armor if in an Armor materia slot.

huh, I checked and at some point I swapped the combo over to his armor and somehow didn't notice. I mean, I noticed it, but could've sworn it was still doing the weapon damage too. They buffed so many of the materia and abilities I kinda thought that they had made elemental broken, too.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Speaking of elemental, I'm in the prison and still haven't seen one. Thought I'd have gotten magnify or elemental by now. Did I miss something somewhere?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

You get Elemental from some combat simulator missions. You should have access (or are at least able to unlock access) to one of them for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Well drat. Guess I'm glad that little freak chadley has been following me then lol. Been fairly consistent clearing out the monster intel stuff so I guess I got a wee bit of grinding to do