Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

In Training posted:

NY state is about to cut a big fat loving check to the landlord class. Again.

is Medicaid cuts still happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1779990487249686682?t=E_f09tSs2gWdU30DPRdiSw&s=19

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

How are we gonna pay for it? :thunk:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the popes toes posted:

Off loaded at Detroit, got picked for random rather unfriendly pat-down by TSA. While they patted me down, my carry-on that had my passport was stolen. Luckily, when the non-citizen thief went through customs she was unable to explain the American passport which customs returned to me. loving airports are cesspits.

Why would someone steal your carryon? Like are people really in need of some underwear a couple shirts and a rumpled paperback. What is the thought process.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

skooma512 posted:

where there’s a war there’s a way

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I’m never going to get tired of these idiots losing it all

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

They should just use the $300 billion in seized Russian assets. I want to see what happens to international trade and finance after that.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Shageletic posted:

Why would someone steal your carryon? Like are people really in need of some underwear a couple shirts and a rumpled paperback. What is the thought process.

gambling on the chance there’s a laptop in the bag was my first thought

but otoh why would you hang onto it instead of just checking for valuables in the bathroom or whatever

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

They should just use the $300 billion in seized Russian assets. I want to see what happens to international trade and finance after that.

That appears to be the actual plan here lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Everything listed in that bill is a terrible idea

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1780010022530957616

lol i wonder which terrible awful method of devaluing the dollar they want to do

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol i wonder which terrible awful method of devaluing the dollar they want to do

starting to like these guys

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

redenomination might be able to trick most americans for a couple of weeks until they start doing the math

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

gambling on the chance there’s a laptop in the bag was my first thought

but otoh why would you hang onto it instead of just checking for valuables in the bathroom or whatever

But you take out the laptop when you go thru the scanner or get patted down. Ah whatever desperation is an awful thing.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/DLVermeer/status/1772720590031384722

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Shageletic posted:

But you take out the laptop when you go thru the scanner or get patted down. Ah whatever desperation is an awful thing.

depends on the airport and time of day; a lot of times TSA for red eyes in smaller airports don’t have you take anything out of the bag or take off your shoes even if you don’t have the fancy upgrades

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

dulles has some fancy pants scanner where you dont need to take the laptops out

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

World Bad bills

err has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Apr 16, 2024

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

The cost of midtier clothing has gone through the roof.

It’s not surprising people have shifted to sheit

You can’t buy much with $100 in clothing these days.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

derek guy wrote a pretty good article on this a while back https://putthison.com/is-it-classist-to-be-against-fast-fashion/

Glumwheels posted:

:hmmyes: this is true too

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

I hate this dumb loving country.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Can he say that?

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1780031019241881921

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

why’s the guy talking about the Fermi equation

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

But also
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1780029287208223212

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

me explaining gambling losses to my wife

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

why’s the guy talking about the Fermi equation

fermi's nuts

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The article says Robert Lighthizer's wants to do Plaza Accords 2.0. Threaten tariffs to bring other countries to the table to negotiate a rebalancing of exchange rates.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lots of talk like this during/after the 2008 recession, too. The whole concept of a "natural" interest rate is kind of dumb anyway and it's one of those economic theories where any attempt at creating an empirical basis just leads to all kinds of contradictions or a value that mysteriously can't be measured precisely because it's made up

It's reasonable in this case because what they want is rates at or near zero and a natural interest rate that's transitory is the particular justification that gets them there

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Glumwheels posted:

The cost of midtier clothing has gone through the roof.

It’s not surprising people have shifted to sheit

The best part is poo poo is p much just as expensive as the good stuff was before. Had a bonding moment with my mom the other day where I was looking for a simple kitchen gadget, a can opener, and it's like there's no amount of money I can offer to get a good one. There's branding that moves the pricepoint up and down but there's not a single one you can find online that doesn't have a bajillion 1 star reviews for a lemon falling apart after two uses. Clothing feels largely the same, like you can spend more money for a "better" brand but it's all made in the same place with the same methods and materials.

I have the money and preference to get nice stuff rather than treat everything as disposable but there's not really a good method to do so, I dunno where you'd even start for most things outside of like, hiring a specific individual carpenter with a 10 year wait list to make you a nice table or such.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Master Opener for Cans, Bottles and Jars has served us well for over a decade. you can stick the lid back on after opening if you only use part of the contents and it doesn’t leave sharp metal on the can or lid.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Hey Now You’re an R-STAR

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

Hey Now You’re an R-STAR

:lol:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Scarabrae posted:

Hey Now You’re an R-STAR

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i long for cpi and pce to be finally stripped bare to their pure forms, clean of all evil numbers weighing upon them

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PoundSand posted:

The best part is poo poo is p much just as expensive as the good stuff was before. Had a bonding moment with my mom the other day where I was looking for a simple kitchen gadget, a can opener, and it's like there's no amount of money I can offer to get a good one. There's branding that moves the pricepoint up and down but there's not a single one you can find online that doesn't have a bajillion 1 star reviews for a lemon falling apart after two uses. Clothing feels largely the same, like you can spend more money for a "better" brand but it's all made in the same place with the same methods and materials.

Yeah, it sucks rear end that for lots of stuff there isn’t even an option to spend more to get something good that’ll last. Dropshipped plastic poo poo is the only thing available because anybody that made stuff that lasted either went out of business or got bought by private equity and stripped for parts.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PoundSand posted:

I have the money and preference to get nice stuff rather than treat everything as disposable but there's not really a good method to do so, I dunno where you'd even start for most things outside of like, hiring a specific individual carpenter with a 10 year wait list to make you a nice table or such.

That's kind of it, though. If you don't have the money/time/resources to hire and monitor specialized labor, then you're always buying some variety of mass produced garbage. Kitchen stuff is particularly bad, where we've run into some extremely high-end brands that are clearly coming off the same assembly lines as SEO word salad FBA products. It's the same poo poo you see in "luxury" developments that just use slightly more upscale-in-appearance builder grade garbage.

The trick is that money to consume (ie, buy something off the shelf) is never real money no matter how much you have to spend.

edit- I don't think this is entirely new, either. I think the huge surge in dropshipping and access to cheap factories for anyone with a few grand to spend is just exposing how little differentiation actually exists in most consumer-grade products.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Apr 16, 2024

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Older guy working at Microsoft gets laid off after 33 years, immediately spouts praise for the company that shitcanned him

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Look, Japan did it, and they were HUGE in the 80s, the decade that it still is and always will be.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm nowhere close to the r word either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Older guy working at Microsoft gets laid off after 33 years, immediately spouts praise for the company that shitcanned him

director is level 66 or 67 so his base salary is probably about 350-450k plus another 50-60k a year in stocks and a 40-60k cash bonus for hitting performance targets along with stock refreshers.

he also probably gets 60 days severance plus an extra 5-6 months' worth for all the years he's been there

his net worth is likely 20-30 million dollars. maybe more if he was really responsible and invested well.