Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Megamissen posted:

youve got a title match (fake) tomorrow

hell yeah

if I win it's real as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Sarcatiscally

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

aw frig aw dang it posted:

hell yeah

if I win it's real as hell

get a championship belt gang tag if you do

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
One two three four! I declare a thumb war!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
a thread of champagne and wildflowers

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

BearsBearsBears posted:

Their methodology is all hosed up. Number of battles won is way overvalued. Generals who win large amounts of easy battles are being placed higher than generals who win very difficult battles. He's apparently aware of this and added a "war per battle" statistic after people complained but he doesn't create a second visualization.

Yeah I think he says that but anyway it’s fun. It’s entirely a measure of operational and tactical acumen and rewards generals who blundered strategically but could pull out wins on long odds.Hitler having a marginally better score as most German generals is funny though because “Hitler was the reason the (clean!) Wehrmacht lost to the inferior Soviets” is complete bullshit that was gospel in western pop history. Also critical but late support to Napoleon in his crusade against the Anglo demons but you hosed up on Haiti bro

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I don't believe there's any alternate history out there about "well what if the Soviets just lost the eastern front" because they weren't ever going to

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mdemone posted:

I don't believe there's any alternate history out there about "well what if the Soviets just lost the eastern front" because they weren't ever going to

Oh I’m sure there’s plenty of attempts but it’s hard to finish a whole Tutledove ripoff one handed

Implied in Phillip K Dick’s one I think but it’s only because the Nazis got the atom bomb first.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Implied in Phillip K Dick’s one I think but it’s only because the Nazis got the atom bomb first.

that would've changed things but it's almost as unlikely as winning the eastern front would have been for them

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mdemone posted:

that would've changed things but it's almost as unlikely as winning the eastern front would have been for them

It’s not really addressed directly but it would also be implied that because the US was isolationist the UK was sea lion’ed way earlier, so the Soviet Union had to fight even more Germans earlier with no benefit of lend lease, and that the Soviets still haven’t really been conquered and occupied even by the time the book takes place but more shattered as a functioning state and pushed back to the steppes and mountains. So it takes seriously the vast disparity that existed in production in our timeline especially for the time it was written where even academic historians thought the Germans had a chance.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
lmaoing at the suckers itt that have to make accounts and write essays to get work.

why dont you just call up your foreman buddy and ask if he has a spot for you?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Red Foreman lost his job at the plant so he can't get me a job

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

mdemone posted:

There's two different hoi4 mods that do this, one where Stalin got couped, the other where Stalin died and bukharin took control

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The opening quote neatly sums up how stupid this is.

Livy posted:

When Africanus asked who, in Hannibal’s opinion, was the greatest general, Hannibal named Alexander… as to whom he would rank second, Hannibal selected Pyrrhus… asking whom Hannibal considered third, he named himself without hesitation. Then Scipio broke into a laugh and said, “What would you say if you had defeated me?”

Only one of these dudes was militarily successful, one is still a byword for winning battles yet still losing and the last who also didn't know how to win wars.

Winning battles is not the goal, winning wars isn't even it, but achieving your political goals.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

mdemone posted:

Fatherland has an occupied eastern front with German settlers fighting guerrillas and a Soviet command in the far east, part of the story involves the propaganda about happy German settlers in the east along with all those "deported" Jews, plus museums of Soviet "death camps" that were "discovered" by the Reich. Of course really the settlers are miserable and the Jews are dead.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dixon Chisholm posted:

lmaoing at the suckers itt that have to make accounts and write essays to get work.

why dont you just call up your foreman buddy and ask if he has a spot for you?

the spot is his butthole, that you have sex with for money. you are a sex worker

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Bugger

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Al! posted:

the spot is his butthole, that you have sex with for money. you are a sex worker

but holding a magic wand

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Weka posted:

Bugger

sorry about your logs & pallets

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

you arent sorry at all

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I'm not. I'd do it again in a heartbeat

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

he's all set for winter and I'm happy for him

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

really queer Christmas posted:

There's two different hoi4 mods that do this, one where Stalin got couped, the other where Stalin died and bukharin took control

I knew I would draw out the real nerds with that post

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dixon Chisholm posted:

megaman isnt a soldier, he is a robot boy that assassinates other robots so hes more like a child soldier

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

tristeham posted:

always nice to learn a new slur

i learned "hohol" the other day

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

bump

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
going to be a normal week i think

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

good. i have a lot of work this week

at the dick sucking factory

i work from home

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

going to be a normal week i think

we'll see

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

500 bad dogs posted:

good. i have a lot of work this week

at the dick sucking factory

i work from home
cottage industry :smug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BearsBearsBears posted:

He found that Napoleon is 23 standard deviations above the mean. 1 in a trillion is something like 7 standard deviations. He found out that Napoleon was a 1 in a billion trillion commander and this didn't cause him to reevaluate his methodology at all.

lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Need some more insight into what creates good/hard men.

Weka
May 5, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i learned "hohol" the other day

You mean famed Ukrainian author Mykola Hohol?
Nikolai Gogol

More seriously it's funny to me you learned it with the Ukrainian pronunciation.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Precambrian Video Games posted:

500 bad dogs, apparently

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Precambrian Video Games posted:

xp sources

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
honorably grinding up stats in principled poverty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
buying already levelled men to skip the grind