Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Leandros posted:

Jerry, Cyril, Doctor Spaceman or Garth?

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...s-a6979901.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What's the freaking deal with this Putin guy. Am I taking crazy pills

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

death to the colonial "state" of israel

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

madmatt112 posted:

This is not me trolling, I’m legitimately earnest in this: am I like the only person here who is of the opinion that Russia are the territorial aggressors & very much in the wrong (and that Ukraine is definitely being illegally attacked and war crimed) and also that Israel is an evil apartheid war criming ethnostate currently doing a genocide??

I’m so confused about the Russia Ukraine thing. What am I missing about them that would make me say “oh, Ukraine has been doing something that actually does justify Russia’s action over the last couple years”?? I feel like I’ve got a huge blind spot here somehow.

anyone that can look at Palestine and have confusion can eat a fist tho obvi

You really need to do some research.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like the ukrainian-palestinian support position would be more tenable if that were reflected by ukrainians themselves

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Feels Villeneuve posted:

What's the freaking deal with this Putin guy. Am I taking crazy pills

how come i never see putin and bibbi in the same place whats going on???

edit: Zelenski going "But what about ME?" lost me a lot of goodwill towards him, and by a lot I mean all of it

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

madmatt112 posted:

This is not me trolling, I’m legitimately earnest in this: am I like the only person here who is of the opinion that Russia are the territorial aggressors & very much in the wrong (and that Ukraine is definitely being illegally attacked and war crimed) and also that Israel is an evil apartheid war criming ethnostate currently doing a genocide??

I’m so confused about the Russia Ukraine thing. What am I missing about them that would make me say “oh, Ukraine has been doing something that actually does justify Russia’s action over the last couple years”?? I feel like I’ve got a huge blind spot here somehow.

https://twitter.com/NinaByzantina/status/1497097389521342464

The war in Ukraine didn't start on February 24th. The war in Gaza didn't start on October 7th

PawParole has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Apr 16, 2024

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

madmatt112 posted:

Theres a chart somewhere.

You're opposed to aggression without concerning yourself over motivation, so you're at least internally consistent

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Israel cannot function without the United States. Which is why Genocide Joe should be locked up as a war criminal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not to be rude to the guy posting earnestly but "am I the only person who thinks [position probably held by a majority of normie amerikkkan liberals]" is always a very funny post genre

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Nix Panicus posted:

Theres a chart somewhere.

You're opposed to aggression without concerning yourself over motivation, so you're at least internally consistent

It's this one I assume?

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Not to be rude to the guy posting earnestly but "am I the only person who thinks [position probably held by a majority of normie amerikkkan liberals]" is always a very funny post genre

anyone that ever asks that i'm like, "yes you're the one unique person out of 6 billion plus you did it"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ah yes the tell me how much history you know by telling me you dont know history

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's this one I assume?

for anyone who doesn't know the original meme had the lower right listed as 'indians'

'4chan' would also be valid

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Didn't Iran specifically try to petition the UN Security Council first, got rebuffed and literally had no choice at that point but to retaliate?

The Israeli definition of "has no choice but to respond" is finding any tiny shred of an excuse to launch directly from zero to murdering people en masse (or just fabricating poo poo whole cloth).

Israel should call for a security council resolution against Iran and then cry a lot about how it shouldn't mention their bombing of a consular facility

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Valleyant posted:

anyone that ever asks that i'm like, "yes you're the one unique person out of 6 billion plus you did it"

We're up to 8 billion now

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's this one I assume?

Thats the one

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Ukraine should surrender.

Israel should surrender.

Anything else would cause needless suffering.

Simple as.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

madmatt112 posted:

Syq?

Unironically if anyone actually “supports” Russia besides that permabanned “FLATTEN” guy I haven’t seen them, I think it’s more that a world systems view sees Russian aggression as a predictable and foreclosed response to the choice between getting pilfered by the west like the third world or trying to become Rome yourself and both states as kleptocracies full of weird Nazi larpers, and that the war is being prolonged by the west not for the benefit of Ukraine but the detriment of Russia (and detriment of Ukraine).

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Apr 16, 2024

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

I'm not seeing a salute here

the highest ranking guy doesn't have to

sundaymorning
Sep 1, 2019

ded redd posted:

i feel like the ukrainian-palestinian support position would be more tenable if that were reflected by ukrainians themselves

https://commons.com.ua/en/ukrayinskij-list-solidarnosti/

I have no illusions that the letter above represents some great mass within Ukrainian society, but as usual it is a more nuanced situation than the position of the Ukrainian government would have you believe. I suppose if you want to situate yourself as being an important ally of US empire it isn't exactly prudent to align yourself with a people that the US and its allies have largely determined is utterly beyond the pale to have sympathy for.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I wonder what unhinged response Israel will do. I wonder how prepared Iran is to retaliate and if they give a 2 week notice this time

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

ded redd posted:

for anyone who doesn't know the original meme had the lower right listed as 'indians'

'4chan' would also be valid

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

ok hi I’m back like a dumbass but I’m in it now.
I would say that I do concern myself with motivation and not just aggression by itself. What I’m trying to say is that I know I’m missing some huge chunk of recent (ish) history or dynamics between these two countries / peoples because so many of the people whose opinions and reasons I agree with and respect on this here website are opposite of me when it comes to Ukraine. I know well that my Ukraine opinion is shared by far and away the majority of western shitlibs, I’m not so stupid as to think I’m so unique in my ideas.

And so, I’m asking if anyone could help me understand or just gesture vaguely towards some… resource or reading or something. idk. I really am being earnest that I want to know what I’ve missed. I understand that I’m a product of my western media ecosystem and I try hard to find ways out of the gigantic imperial capitalist propaganda machine.

I’m sorry if this is v v much the wrong thread, I brought it up here because I see semi-regular references to/comparisons of Russia/Ukraine itt and because the Ukraine thread seems to be pretty slanted against Russian narratives and toward Western ones - figured my question wouldn’t get much response there besides being called an orc.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmao

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

madmatt112 posted:

ok hi I’m back like a dumbass but I’m in it now.
I would say that I do concern myself with motivation and not just aggression by itself. What I’m trying to say is that I know I’m missing some huge chunk of recent (ish) history or dynamics between these two countries / peoples because so many of the people whose opinions and reasons I agree with and respect on this here website are opposite of me when it comes to Ukraine. I know well that my Ukraine opinion is shared by far and away the majority of western shitlibs, I’m not so stupid as to think I’m so unique in my ideas.

And so, I’m asking if anyone could help me understand or just gesture vaguely towards some… resource or reading or something. idk. I really am being earnest that I want to know what I’ve missed. I understand that I’m a product of my western media ecosystem and I try hard to find ways out of the gigantic imperial capitalist propaganda machine.

I’m sorry if this is v v much the wrong thread, I brought it up here because I see semi-regular references to/comparisons of Russia/Ukraine itt and because the Ukraine thread seems to be pretty slanted against Russian narratives and toward Western ones - figured by question wouldn’t get much response there besides being called an orc.

I'd ask this question in the Ukraine thread and give it a bit for people to type several books at you

E: The CSPAM Ukraine thread

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

madmatt112 posted:

someone post the real chinese political compass

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Nix Panicus posted:

I'd ask this question in the Ukraine thread and give it a bit for people to type several books at you

alright, I’ll take the risk of being yelled at on the internet, fine :colbert: Ty

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

madmatt112 posted:

The short version is that while the Ukraine war is Russia bullying a smaller neighbor, the US (in part through its local proxies) is doing its damndest to provoke them and prolong the war. The comparison to Palestine is enlightening- the Russians want regime change and enforced neutrality, so the US is willing to encourage Ukraine into a catastrophic war (and fan the flames of, ahem, nationalism); while when Hamas strikes back against outright genocide they must be condemned and destroyed. Its a shame innocent Ukrainians are caught in the conflict between two great powers, and Russia shares at least some of the blame (and goons will get weird about it because goons are incapable of not taking the maximalist position on literally anything, even if they're fundamentally right), but (especially if you're a citizen of America or Europe) the villain here is American hegemony

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

simple as

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

StashAugustine posted:

The short version is that while the Ukraine war is Russia bullying a smaller neighbor, the US (in part through its local proxies) is doing its damndest to provoke them and prolong the war. The comparison to Palestine is enlightening- the Russians want regime change and enforced neutrality, so the US is willing to encourage Ukraine into a catastrophic war (and fan the flames of, ahem, nationalism); while when Hamas strikes back against outright genocide they must be condemned and destroyed. Its a shame innocent Ukrainians are caught in the conflict between two great powers, and Russia shares at least some of the blame (and goons will get weird about it because goons are incapable of not taking the maximalist position on literally anything, even if they're fundamentally right), but (especially if you're a citizen of America or Europe) the villain here is American hegemony

This is actually a very helpful answer, thank you.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

madmatt112 posted:

alright, I’ll take the risk of being yelled at on the internet, fine :colbert: Ty

no one's going to yell at you really. we answer this question in that thread one or twice a month. there is a very complicated history behind the existence of the post soviet Ukrainian state, the ethnic cleansing of Russians in that state's borders, NATO expansion, the collapse and rebuilding of Russian society in the 90s and 2000s, etc etc that just doesn't belong here. no one really "supports" Russia apart from thinking Vlad has very kissable lips but they're the least bad actors in a farce of a war (and we all quietly harbor fantasies that isolation from the west, war economics, and cozying up to China will bring about Communism with Russian Characteristics even if we know it won't)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I knew there was something off about their posts. The propaganda is strong in this one.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

madmatt112 posted:

Here's the link to the Ukraine thread btw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016635

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

madmatt112 posted:

The long and short of it is that Western powers have a tendency to overthrow governments and install fascist regimes that will act in western interests. In Ukraine, this happened in the maidan coup of 2014.

For hundreds of years before that (until the collapse of the Soviet union), Ukraine was part of Russia the same way Texas has been part of the USA. Only a tiny group of racist wing nuts were separatists, and in the Ukraine's case these separatists were so antisemitic that Hitler built his philosophy off of them. In the 40s, those Ukrainian separatists served in the SS as exterminators, using bullets where there were no ovens. Today, they are venerated as heroes by the new Ukrainian regime who pogroms romani people and shells Russian speakers. They name streets after them and throw them parades and pledge allegiance to them and wear all sorts of neat patches with nazi symbols and all this mass veneration is rather new. It used to be a small group of loonies but now they run the government so....

But all that aside, Ukraine is not an independent state, since 2014 it has become an arm of American empire grasping onto Russian territory so that it can further prosecute a cold war it has already won. And Russia was willing to let it go as long as certain demands were met in the Minsk agreement. Ukraine agreed to those terms including territorial, military, and diplomatic concessions and then never delivered. So Russia declared it would force them through war, and here we are.

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Apr 16, 2024