Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

what i'm saying is all the director level people are sociopaths and no poo poo he's going to suck off the company that gave him a lot of money as he falls backwards into another 400k+ a year job doing nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

OhFunny posted:

The article says Robert Lighthizer's wants to do Plaza Accords 2.0. Threaten tariffs to bring other countries to the table to negotiate a rebalancing of exchange rates.

oh well lets check in on how the US is doing at throwing its diplomatic weight around these days

lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

his net worth is likely 20-30 million dollars. maybe more if he was really responsible and invested well.

No way in hell lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Do you think haurispex had anywhere near as much freedom to make up whatever answer the elites wanted as economists do?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
but who's gonna align the learning and development offerings in our org with the offerings from the parent org and central HR??!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the Delphi oracle could say whatever but I think they put effort into being like responsible idk

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

triple sulk posted:

director is level 66 or 67 so his base salary is probably about 350-450k plus another 50-60k a year in stocks and a 40-60k cash bonus for hitting performance targets along with stock refreshers.

he also probably gets 60 days severance plus an extra 5-6 months' worth for all the years he's been there

his net worth is likely 20-30 million dollars. maybe more if he was really responsible and invested well.
hed need to be a director for like twice as long as he actually worked to be in the 30 milly range and thats before taxes

dude probably has a house and a few milly laying around if he wasnt a complete moron, sure.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

triple sulk posted:

director is level 66 or 67 so his base salary is probably about 350-450k plus another 50-60k a year in stocks and a 40-60k cash bonus for hitting performance targets along with stock refreshers.

he also probably gets 60 days severance plus an extra 5-6 months' worth for all the years he's been there

This poo poo makes me crazy because the same people are like "wow why don't younger people try to move up the ladder at my company" and its like ITS YOU YOU rear end in a top hat YOU LITERALLY WONT loving RETIRE DESPITE HAVING THE MEANS TO AND ARE TAKING UP A loving JOB.

Jesus christ are you so loving boring that you cant imagine working on either solo projects or volunteering your time? FIND A loving HOBBY

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

anime was right posted:

hed need to be a director for like twice as long as he actually worked to be in the 30 milly range and thats before taxes

dude probably has a house and a few milly laying around if he wasnt a complete moron, sure.

do u know

what compound interest does

hard slammin that bonus and stock options (which is the real poo poo here) gets you to the double digit millies real quick. MSFT was at 5 2 lol when he started working, it's at 350 something today. I'm finding these numbers as I go but if he was a real Company Man he'd have picked up thousands of shares as he went through his career.

Hell he could've done some jiggery pokery in 2010 and gotten to the same place at half the base comp.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Apr 16, 2024

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Vox Nihili posted:

Older guy working at Microsoft gets laid off after 33 years, immediately spouts praise for the company that shitcanned him

"Open to anything. Let's start a conversation." lol what a pretentious piece of poo poo.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

put another way, 10 grand in MSFT stock thirty years ago is 2.6 million now.
people outside the industry don't really get how lucrative computer touching is especially if you stick around for a decade in big tech

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
five 2:1 stock splits between his start date and the invasion of Iraq lmao

it's a completely different and insane world for the wealthy.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Do you think haurispex had anywhere near as much freedom to make up whatever answer the elites wanted as economists do?

i learned from the documentary pathologic 2 that haruspicy is a precise science

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

post hole digger posted:

derek guy wrote a pretty good article on this a while back https://putthison.com/is-it-classist-to-be-against-fast-fashion/

:hmmyes: this is true too

this is the absolute worst genre of tweet

https://twitter.com/yubaba_yaga/status/1556391412752678912

article was good tho

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

we call them wreckers, or liberals if you prefer.

i used to really like uniqlo for beefy reliable, well-fitting-off-the-shelf, clothing at a good price, but things there suck rear end now too. oh well

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

Older guy working at Microsoft gets laid off after 33 years, immediately spouts praise for the company that shitcanned him

I work at a local forgettable feedbag family restaurant (that's actually decently run) and I would be mortified to be even one twentieth as servile towards that place as this guy is towards his faceless megacorporation

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/yubaba_yaga/status/1556391412752678912

article was good tho

you can't criticize ExxonMobil, poor people need that gas to drive their cars!!!!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

r-started

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Scarabrae posted:

Hey Now You’re an R-STAR

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Xaris posted:

we call them wreckers, or liberals if you prefer.

i used to really like uniqlo for beefy reliable, well-fitting-off-the-shelf, clothing at a good price, but things there suck rear end now too. oh well

My tees were all from Uniqlo. I bought them back in 2015, they’re great and cheap but now they’re getting worn out. idk what to replace them with, people recommend like 60 dollar tees which is ridiculous to me. the tees I bought were $10 each but now they’re $25 each. I bought one new recently just to try and it sucks now. can’t find a plain, inexpensive and decent tee that fits well and isn’t immediately bacon collared after a couple of washes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

biceps crimes posted:

My tees were all from Uniqlo. I bought them back in 2015, they’re great and cheap but now they’re getting worn out. idk what to replace them with, people recommend like 60 dollar tees which is ridiculous to me. the tees I bought were $10 each but now they’re $25 each. I bought one new recently just to try and it sucks now. can’t find a plain, inexpensive and decent tee that fits well and isn’t immediately bacon collared after a couple of washes

Duluths

They're heavyweight, decently priced, and don't get super wrinkled over time.

The long ones are meant to be tucked in just pay attention to the sizing

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i missed domestic short trip air travel talk but i used to fly talent between LA and Oakland all the time on Southwest for like $50 a head. When I was a kid my mom and I would fly to SF for daytrips to hang with her parents. out of BURBANK.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
back then you could practically light a cigarette while parkign your car and put it out in the ashtray by the boarding ramp. very nice. long gone. i blame the shoe bomber for this.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

dont put shirts in the dryer you fool

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hahaha

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Frustrated by higher prices, many Pennsylvanians with fresh pay raises and solid finances report a sense of insecurity lingering from the pandemic.

I know at least one person who'll want to skim this, but anyway I'll just quote a bit from the middle:

quote:

Vocal frustration with more expensive gas and food, rent-raising landlords and premium-raising insurance companies still animates small talk among friends. Home prices have soared, a blessing for homeowners but a curse for those seeking to join their ranks. Child care and elder care costs, rising before the pandemic, are still ascending. (And beyond needs like auto insurance, there is annoyance with the $4 bag of chips in the checkout aisle, or a $10 pint of beer that used to be $7.)

The most popular measure of national consumer sentiment, tracked by the University of Michigan since 1978, has reached its highest level since July 2021, before the worst of inflation hit. But sentiment hasn’t fully recovered. It remains suspended halfway between its all-time low in June 2022 — when inflation topped at 9 percent — and its peak in the 21st century, around New Year’s Eve 2019.

“Trying to make yourself happy is difficult,” said Lindsay Danella, an Altoona, Pa., native.

At 39, she recently left a job making over $70,000 as a general manager at a hotel where she said executives dealt with understaffing during and after the pandemic by asking managers like her to do more of everything without offering more flexibility or pay.

Now, as a server at Levity Brewing in downtown Altoona, she makes the legal subminimum wage for tipped workers in the state, about $3, but says she has found ways to “love it” despite that low base. Business is good, so tips are plentiful on weekends. And the taproom, which opened in 2022 in a remodeled space with floor-to-ceiling windows, is part of a district that has been revitalizing since 2021.

After feeling overworked and burned out since 2020, she has been able to step back in her new job and spend more time with her daughter, sharing parental duties with her ex-husband.

It also helps that, like most of the 70 percent of Pennsylvanians who are homeowners, Ms. Danella has been protected against rent inflation thanks to her low-cost, fixed-rate home mortgage payment. But many family members and friends in her network, who consider themselves relatively fortunate as she does, have been feeling somewhat unmoored since the pandemic.

So many, she explained, have had “a midlife crisis” — a spate of people changing jobs, shifting relationships, managing children through “Zoom school,” adjusting to a move or being unable to afford one because of higher interest rates, all while facing a whirl of new expenses.

“It feels like someone put us in a long rinse cycle in a washing machine,” she said, “and forgot to take us out.”

Interesting that someone would quit a $70k/year "manager" role for a $3/hr + tips service job; that hotel manager job must have been terribad or something else is going on. Anyway, there are some more interviews with variously interesting people that mostly just reinforces the notion that orthodox economists will never understand the difference between consumer sentiment and their favourite all-good-now economic measures. Hat tip to 67 year-old Philly BBQ guy who's set for life, quit running his popular food truck a couple of years ago but still drives a bus 4 days a week because he's bored by not working.

Anyway, the other thing is that point about how many Americans have low fixed mortgage rates, and there's another article about the very obvious point that home sales are down because even owners who want to move can't afford to (refinance) since interest rates and prices have gone up:

There's an eyebrow-raising quote after the bit discussing why reduced housing mobility might be bad for number:

quote:

Some of these effects may sound similar to the years after the 2008 housing crash, when a different problem — underwater mortgages — trapped many people in homes they wanted to leave. But today’s challenge may be more lasting. That’s because 30-year mortgage rates get locked in for, well, 30 years, and because rates below 3 percent are unlikely to be seen again anytime soon.

whoops. The article doesn't seem to mention that some mortgages in the US actually can be transferred under certain circumstances, something I only learned recently, but I was far too bored by the details to understand how many practically can be. The other thing is this is all baffling to Australians and Canadians who can't get fixed-rate mortgages longer than 10 years and usually have to stick to 5 for reasons I don't fully understand (I gather the UK is similar but it's not impossible to get 15+year fixed rates). Then again, Sweden apparently has a typical mortgage length of 50 years, and recently/controversially cut the maximum to 105 years, and some third of Swedes have loans where they're not paying off the principal at all.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Smythe posted:

dont put shirts in the dryer you fool

I line dry all of my shirts

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

back then you could practically light a cigarette while parkign your car and put it out in the ashtray by the boarding ramp. very nice. long gone. i blame the shoe bomber for this.

I'm glad I was able to come up to the cockpit and talk to the pilots and gawk at the instrument panel in the middle of a transpacific flight, as a kid, before 9/11

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

PoundSand posted:

The best part is poo poo is p much just as expensive as the good stuff was before. Had a bonding moment with my mom the other day where I was looking for a simple kitchen gadget, a can opener, and it's like there's no amount of money I can offer to get a good one. There's branding that moves the pricepoint up and down but there's not a single one you can find online that doesn't have a bajillion 1 star reviews for a lemon falling apart after two uses. Clothing feels largely the same, like you can spend more money for a "better" brand but it's all made in the same place with the same methods and materials.

I have the money and preference to get nice stuff rather than treat everything as disposable but there's not really a good method to do so, I dunno where you'd even start for most things outside of like, hiring a specific individual carpenter with a 10 year wait list to make you a nice table or such.

i went loving nuts when the $15 can opener from
target broke in my hands so I went and bought the classic can opener for $3 from a restaurant supply store and now every time I open the drawer I look like some freak anime character reaching in with a grin from ear to ear because I know it’s going to open my can

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Interesting that someone would quit a $70k/year "manager" role for a $3/hr + tips service job; that hotel manager job must have been terribad or something else is going on.

It was probably just par for the course for store-level management in retail/hospitality. Lots of those jobs are real loving bad and not really worth the paltry pay, which is why the people who stick around are usually the petty tyrants who are cool with 80 hour weeks as long as they get to be the boss.

There was a story 15-20ish years ago about some Radioshack manager that killed himself after a few months of insane work weeks and all I remember is a ton of responses along the lines of "that's nothing, I've been doing that for years."

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

I line dry all of my shirts

how is the collar getting messed up then??

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm glad I was able to come up to the cockpit and talk to the pilots and gawk at the instrument panel in the middle of a transpacific flight, as a kid, before 9/11

THIS!!

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Hospitality is insanely worse since the pandemic due to increased physical and verbal abuse from customers. I wouldn't want to work as a hotel manager either.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the kirkland signature protein bars are now chocolate and peanut butter flavor instead of chocolate flavor because joe biden made chocolate too expensive

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

joe biden made chocolate too expensive

TRUMP!!!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

the kirkland signature protein bars are now chocolate and peanut butter flavor instead of chocolate flavor because joe biden made chocolate too expensive

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

Hey Now You’re an R-STAR

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Hospitality is insanely worse since the pandemic due to increased physical and verbal abuse from customers. I wouldn't want to work as a hotel manager either.

lol my first job at the theatre was working box office and house management. i still cover these duties if people are out kuz whatever. but this is For Real. my box office lady was out last week at a conference for her day job and picking up the phone / working the window it was surprising how mean & miserable people were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

lol my first job at the theatre was working box office and house management. i still cover these duties if people are out kuz whatever. but this is For Real. my box office lady was out last week at a conference for her day job and picking up the phone / working the window it was surprising how mean & miserable people were.
thats what i was saying about airports but even applies in hospitality or anything public facing. americans have become unhinged Abnormals. tis sad, they should just be Normal