Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i've been told the thing i do with the people i date where I get something and we trade halves of our food is off putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ominous Jazz posted:

i've been told the thing i do with the people i date where I get something and we trade halves of our food is off putting.

well do you trade it before or after eating it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ominous Jazz posted:

I find this conceptually off putting because as a general rule if I go somewhere where you order single plates then I want the thing I order, not half of it and half of something someone else wanted. What you're doing is tapas only worse.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Fil5000 posted:

I find this conceptually off putting because as a general rule if I go somewhere where you order single plates then I want the thing I order, not half of it and half of something someone else wanted. What you're doing is tapas only worse.

but then you can have two things

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

but then you can have two things

If I wanted two things, Id open up the relationship menu

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i probably should have figured out i was bisexual earlier

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah what the hell, I don't want two things. I want the entire thing I ordered.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mx. posted:

Fiancée F23 wants to call off wedding because because I 26M would save my 3YO niece before her dogs in a hypothetical fire… how can I explain to her my reasoning?

It's good when the "this person is a loving loon" moments happen before marriage, kids, and such, as it makes the inevitable breakup much easier.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Watching this thread learn in real time that things that work for some people don't work for all people, inspiring

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rat Patrol posted:

Watching this thread learn in real time that things that work for some people don't work for all people, inspiring

No, the thread is learning that some people have perverse and WRONG opinions on dining out.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

... Then don't do the splitting thing? I've dated a couple people where we would do this and it was always because we wanted to try both things and talked about it while ordering. Some people have a hard boundary around their food and how it makes them feel when someone eats off their plate, but the idea that this is offputting to other people is just kind of nosy and "mind your own business" territory if the people involved are enjoying themselves.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for being conflicted about lending my boyfriend a huge sum of money?

quote:

As stated in the title, I'm a bit conflicted about lending my boyfriend a huge sum of money.

I am 29, he's 32. We've been together for six years, and we still both live with our families (it's very common in my country). I'm currently studying to get my masters degree, while I do some side jobs to earn a bit of money (such as tutoring, babysitting etc).

I have quite a lot of money set aside that comes from my grandparents inheritance (around 150k euros), which I am using to pay for university and for "extra" activities.

I always try to be careful not to spend too much, since that sort of money could be used as a downpayment for a house and the remaining could make a good savings account once I move out and start building my financial independence.

My boyfriend is a lawyer, and he earns quite well. However, his mom bought a cafe and is now behind with payments. She has quite a lot of debts because of it, and he already had to take out a loan from the bank to help his mother out.

A few weeks back he was trying to convince me to buy half of his mother's house, so that we could move there once I get my degree and so that she could pay off the remaining 60k she needs for the cafe. I said I would consider it, but after talking to a solicitor (who told me I would have no guarantee whatsoever) I decided I was not going to do it.

Now, he asked me to lend her 30k, which she would repay with monthly payments of 300 euros. I'm very conflicted.

When I decided I wasn't going to buy half of her house he got very angry, called me selfish, greedy and unreliable. Not even a week goes by and he asks me for more money. I initially said yes, but now I'm starting to regret it. I feel like I'm being used like an ATM.

This whole story really rubs me the wrong way. I feel like I've been put in a situation where if I don't lend the money I'm the rear end in a top hat but if I do I put myself in a difficult situation, especially considering his mother's debts, I'd have no guarantee I'd get my money back.

AITA for being conflicted about lending him/his mother 30k?

EDIT: we would sign a contract and specify the terms. However, when I try to negotiate the terms (as in asking for 500 monthly instead of 300) he says it would be a lot. But wouldn't it be a lot for me to lend 30k? Also, he ventilated the idea of paying me back. I know he's trustworthy, it just feels like I'm being used.

what... makes you think he's trustworthy

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Rat Patrol posted:

No! I am the protagonist of life, my way is the only correct way!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

house of the dad posted:

... Then don't do the splitting thing? I've dated a couple people where we would do this and it was always because we wanted to try both things and talked about it while ordering. Some people have a hard boundary around their food and how it makes them feel when someone eats off their plate, but the idea that this is offputting to other people is just kind of nosy and "mind your own business" territory if the people involved are enjoying themselves.

I'll level with you, house of the dad. I was being hyperbolic because I thought it would be funny. The truth is I couldn't give a poo poo if ominous jazz splits his food.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
and i will and you'll watch and support me

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ominous Jazz posted:

and i will and you'll watch and support me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mx. posted:

[b]AITA for being pissed off our kitchen flooded?

If only there had been sinks for IDK a hundred years (possibly more, I'm not a sinkologist) that made flooding the kitchen like this impossible. (Yeah yeah I know it's communism to mandate such things.)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Couple just casually eating a burrito from each end like Lady & the Tramp

I had the visual of a couple just going fuckin hungry hungry hippos on a whole kebab

anyway, content to make up for my lovely age gap one from last night

AITA for using my family’s Montana ranch for a corporate retreat without asking?

quote:

Throwaway because I'm scared someone will find my reddit.

I (27M) am in a bit of hot water with my family right now, and I’m starting to think I might be the rear end in a top hat here. My family owns a large ranch in Montana that’s mostly used for family vacations and the occasional hunting trip. It’s a beautiful place that everyone in my family cherishes for its peace and connection to nature.

I recently got promoted at work to a managerial position, which includes hosting and organizing corporate retreats. Seeing an opportunity to impress my new bosses and colleagues, I thought the family ranch would be the perfect place for our upcoming company retreat. It has all the facilities we would need, and its remote location seemed ideal for team-building activities.

Without thinking it through, I went ahead and invited my entire team to the ranch, planning a weekend of workshops, meetings, and some leisure activities like horseback riding and fishing. I genuinely thought I was doing a good thing by using the ranch in this way.

The retreat was a success from my company’s perspective, but when my family found out, they were furious. They told me that I had no right to use the ranch for such purposes without consulting them first. My family members were upset that I had brought a large group of outsiders to a place that is reserved for family privacy and relaxation. They felt that I had commercialized a cherished family space.

In my defense, I argued that the ranch was being underutilized and that this retreat could help with its upkeep costs. However, my family countered that it’s not just about utility or money, but respect for what the ranch represents in our family history and relationships.

Now, I’m left wondering if I was indeed inconsiderate for not asking permission first, assuming that my family would be okay with it because I’m part of the family too.

So AITA for using our family ranch for a work retreat without asking for permission first?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mx. posted:

Fiancée F23 wants to call off wedding because because I 26M would save my 3YO niece before her dogs in a hypothetical fire… how can I explain to her my reasoning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7kx-ir6Ag

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Bad tapas > no tapas :colbert:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

WIBTA if I tell my wife she has to be honest with me?

quote:

I know this sounds like a slam dunk, but there are parts that can go either way.
I recently found out my wife had a massage. Not a big deal except for the fact that when I have offered to book a massage for her she told me, "I don't think I would like a massage, I don't want one." This was the answer I would receive every time it came up.

A few years back one of her friends gave her a gift card for a massage at a local place. As soon as her friends left she gave it to me and told me again, this time without me asking, that she doesn't think she would like it and doesn't want it. OK. I get it.
But .....

We are planning a trip and as we are reading about the location and what is included in the all inclusive packages I mention the Spa and said how we should book her an appointment to have her hair and nails done the day before we head home. After being on the beach and in the ocean all week I may even get mine done! She then suggested booking a couples massage.

I froze. I looked up at her and asked, "I thought you didn't want a massage, that's what you have been telling me." She then says that she had a massage and the guy was really creepy. Then she realized what was happening and didn't say anything else.

I asked her when she had the massage. At first she said it was at work, then she said she went there to get it. Ok, if it was at work, then she wouldn't have said she went there to get it as she works the day shift and she would have already been there.

I asked her what was creepy about it, and she said, "oh, nothing".
So, for the past 20 years she has lied to me every time I mention a massage, or anyone else mentions it to her. Now I find that she had a massage, while we were married, it did not go well, and she never told me anything about it.

To be fair, her getting a massage is not a problem. Her getting a massage from a guy is not a problem. Her not telling me anything about it, and giving me lies when asked, is a problem. I have asked her 2x to tell me what happened and she has refused. Once in person, once over text.
I want to tell her she has to come clean with me. I feel like the last 20 years has been a lie. I am saying 20 years because 20 years ago we worked at the same place, so if they had a massage day I would have known about it. So saying at work, then changing it to somewhere else would fit the

20 years of gaslighting and abuse OP you should divorce her!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mx. posted:

well do you trade it before or after eating it

Just mama birding half of each bite to your partner.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
and then she put her hair up in a ponytail but didnt

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Mx. posted:

AITA for being conflicted about lending my boyfriend a huge sum of money?

what... makes you think he's trustworthy

He could very well be trustworthy but it sounds like none of them (except for her, to a point) know you shouldn’t shovel money you can’t afford to lose into a failing business. What happens when she owns half the house or whatever and the business fails anyhow? Her only recourse to get paid is to force them to sell their home if that’s even an option when you’re a partial owner in their country. It’s technically a secured loan but not really. The second option after she refused that is completely unsecured and an absolutely terrible idea.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

quote:

Then she realized what was happening and didn't say anything else.

I know this sounds like a slam dunk. She realized what was happening was me be about to be extremely normal. I froze.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 16, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

he's actually married to Inspector Clouseau, who was trying to tell him about the time a sinister guy delivered a message

mystes
May 31, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It sounds like OP's wife had some sort of traumatic experience with a massage (that probably involved some form of sexual assault or something) and didn't want more massages after that, and she finally felt ready to talk about what happened and OP is mad at her for "lying"

I guess OP is reading it as her acting guilty because she felt like she was cheating by getting a massage or something? If that was actually the case then maybe OP would not be the rear end in a top hat but that seems like a weird conclusion to jump to based on what is actually described in the post.

Either way this seems like a problem that could have been averted if OP had simply asked her to explain rather than immediately getting angry

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 16, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also I clicked his account and his other post was about a banal conversation with his GF.

Figured it was an obviously faked account but I’m pretty sure it’s real, he posts in swinger/poly related subreddits.

Wonder what his favorite way to eat cheese is.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

he's actually married to Inspector Clouseau, who was trying to tell him about the time a sinister guy delivered a message

I froze when I read this

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

AITAH for wanting to divorce my wife because she got a reduction?

Love the update: Hey, idiots, when I wrote 2,000 words about how boobs mean everything to me, how DARE YOU illiterate morons accuse me of only caring about boobs. It turns out there were other issues I have since realized, but only after I wrote all that and talked to a professional instead of confiding to a sea of 13-year-olds on Reddit.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

mystes posted:

It sounds like OP's wife had some sort of traumatic experience with a massage (that probably involved some form of sexual assault or something) and didn't want more massages after that, and she finally felt ready to talk about what happened and OP is mad at her for "lying"

I guess OP is reading it as her acting guilty because she felt like she was cheating by getting a massage or something? If that was actually the case then maybe OP would not be the rear end in a top hat but that seems like a weird conclusion to jump to based on what is actually described in the post.

Either way this seems like a problem that could have been averted if OP had simply asked her to explain rather than immediately getting angry

this is how I read it too and it's why so many folks don't reveal abuse. because so often the not wanting to discuss it right out the gate becomes accusations of lying, or someone actually ends up getting butthurt that you 'kept something' from them and makes it about them and how your not telling them about your assault is a reflection on the trust level in your relationship (which they've just successfully torpedoed)

this guy is a grade-A jackass misusing therapy language and I wish him a very 'I hope your car gets viciously keyed' day

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It sounds like none of them (except for her, to a point) know you shouldn’t shovel money you can’t afford to lose into a failing business.

It's almost as if the bank won't lend her the money because they don't believe she will be able to pay it back! The nerve!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What kind of café is it?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Dog heelys cafe

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
brunch tomb

mystes
May 31, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dog heelys cafe
If it was it would be raking in money

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this is how I read it too and it's why so many folks don't reveal abuse. because so often the not wanting to discuss it right out the gate becomes accusations of lying, or someone actually ends up getting butthurt that you 'kept something' from them and makes it about them and how your not telling them about your assault is a reflection on the trust level in your relationship (which they've just successfully torpedoed)

this guy is a grade-A jackass misusing therapy language and I wish him a very 'I hope your car gets viciously keyed' day

This one is especially egregious because his logic is that she was lying about not being interested in a massage... because she already had had one and therefore had to be interested in massages, which could only mean she was up to something shady by pretending she didn't want a massage!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Love being asked to throw my inheritance into a burning pit of money by my partner and his mother.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

He could very well be trustworthy but it sounds like none of them (except for her, to a point) know you shouldn’t shovel money you can’t afford to lose into a failing business.
Also, none of them can do math, apparently.

$30k offering to repay $300/month would take over 8 years, just for the principal, even if you don’t consider interest, never miss a payment, etc. That’s a crazy long period to “loan” money; longer than a car loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

keep punching joe posted:

Love being asked to throw my inheritance into a burning pit of money by my partner and his mother.

What, everyone knows restaurants get along just fine after their first little debt hurdle, it'll be chugging along and OP will get all their money back in no time over the next decade!