Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Cannabis Factories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dont believe that story at all, but lol nonetheless.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
https://twitter.com/mollytaft/status/1780240871872516257?t=mERSJdLXlx8sL3OZXXEapA&s=19

Speaking of Google destroying journalism

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
RETVRN to chop shops

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

is pepsi ok posted:

I used to volunteer at a cat shelter and one time a guy tried to haggle the adoption fee with us. We explained that the fee wasn't the price of buying the cat, but the cost of covering their vaccinations and first vet visit. He said he was going to take his business to a competing shelter.

Consumer brain.

My experience with shelters is that several years ago I wanted a new cat, so we went to a no-kill shelter to ease their burden. Before we could even look at the cats they asked us to fill out a little sheet with some questions Yes/No/Don't Know. One of them was "would you ever declaw a cat?"

We put Don't Know because we didn't know what that was. They took the paper and asked us why we put Don't Know for that question. We told them we didn't know what it meant, so they told us, and we said we definitively would not ever do that. They said well, you didn't answer No on the paper, so you still have to get out because we won't give you a cat per our policy. We left.

Later a friend of mine brought in a 2 year old stray cat off the street and took him to the vet. He didn't get along with her existing cat and was super pretty so I adopted him off her. Best cat I've ever owned.

I cut his claws with little cat nail clippers.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i tried to foster a shelter dog a while back and the place completely ignored that we were looking for a chill older dog under 50 lbs and they showed us a hyper active puppy that was already near 50 and still growing, then they looked pissy when we said we weren't interested

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
"we want to help out by fostering a dog.... no, not like that" is probably something they hear a lot tbh. it's not a new car lot

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
dog shelters need to provide better customer service to the adoptive consumer

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

what happens to the stock market as all these boomers shuffle off this mortal coil in the next decade or so

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArmedZombie posted:

what happens to the stock market as all these boomers shuffle off this mortal coil in the next decade or so

All time highs

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Hubbert posted:

What is the most ideological purebred dog for CSPAM?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelo-Finnish_Laika

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

the milk machine posted:

"we want to help out by fostering a dog.... no, not like that" is probably something they hear a lot tbh. it's not a new car lot

when I used to volunteer at our shelter like 15 years ago everyone there was always incredibly suspicious and/or outright hostile towards anyone with very, very specific requirements for adoption

rehoming animals really sucks (for the animal) and people who are like "these are my specific requirements" tended to be the ones that would bring dogs back and effectively kill them

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Feral Integral posted:

I just don't use software that doesn't have written docs. Most python stuff has great documentation

i still hear engineers say that docs are a sign of badly written code, just pure cargo cult not understanding the difference between "documenting how the machine works" vs "documenting what the machine does and how to use it"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

dog breeders are completely deranged

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

ArmedZombie posted:

Medical sector stocks skyrocket as boomers liquidate their portfolios to pay off medical bills.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the milk machine posted:

We rent and the landlord was a dick, if your gonna show us a dog we can't take in without being evicted then we're not gonna take it home

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Agean90 posted:

We rent and the landlord was a dick, if your gonna show us a dog we can't take in without being evicted then we're not gonna take it home

wow it sure sounds like your landlord was the problem and not those nice volunteers at the shelter trying to get a dog fostered

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Agean90 posted:

fostering a dog is volunteering to help it until it gets a permanent home. they don't keep around a bunch of different dogs that need foster care just in case someone has specific requirements

you basically asked about volunteering and then said "ehh never mind no thanks". which is ok, but shelters see that a lot and it's not like you did them any favors

the milk machine has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Apr 16, 2024

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

nvm

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Scarabrae posted:

so my son wants a dog and I had a sheltie growing up, great dog…looked into getting a puppy from a reputable breeder

$3400

lmao

Purebred dogs are expensive because they're Rich People Bullshit. People with lots of money are willing to pay lots of money for them, so the breeders jack up their prices like crazy. And they're right to do so.

Lots of dogs available for adoption out there. And no, they aren't all pit mixes.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Paid family leave is usually taxable by the feds. This employer likely knows this but was told not to give ~tax advice~ for liability reasons so they just let their employees flounder instead.

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

did somebody say jackin like crazy

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I had no idea having a dog breed preference made me a class traitor, I have much to think about

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Scarabrae posted:

I had no idea having a dog breed preference made me a class traitor, I have much to think about

nah, its just that everything is stupid

for anyone wondering, dachshund is the correct answer

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
It's called racism

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Scarabrae posted:

you go the gulag if your dog isn’t a traumatized shelter pittie. you may not like it, but those are the rules in 2024

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

biceps crimes posted:

you go the gulag if your dog isn’t a traumatized shelter pittie. you may not like it, but those are the rules in 2024

mad?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

both of our dogs come from a small dog rescue run by absolute maniacs who do a visit where you meet the dog at the foster home after the screening, then they do a home visit and see how the new dog gets along with any existing dogs. it’s a process, but it’s also meant we knew what we were getting into and had no reservations that the people doing placement were looking out for the dogs. we also text the foster mom updates on holidays and birthdates about how babydog is doing. we’ll probably just always get dogs from those psychos. it’s a process, but it’s one I understand why they do it and the results have been great.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

what is this, dogsday economics??

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

the milk machine posted:

fostering a dog is volunteering to help it until it gets a permanent home. they don't keep around a bunch of different dogs that need foster care just in case someone has specific requirements

you basically asked about volunteering and then said "ehh never mind no thanks". which is ok, but shelters see that a lot and it's not like you did them any favors

In my experience with cats, shelters try to pair adopters and fosters with animals that are suitable for their needs and situation, and I would expect shelters to not try to place a St Bernard with someone living in a small apartment and wanting a small dog. This might be classist though.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

no lube so what posted:

for anyone wondering, dachshund is the correct answer

that's an animal abuse breed, because its spine is primed to explode.

if you like a breed, just get it mixed with something else, so it doesn't get cancer at age 8. even better if its body proportions are similar to a wolf, because evolution designed dogs a lot better than people.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Precambrian Video Games posted:

In my experience with cats, shelters try to pair adopters and fosters with animals that are suitable for their needs and situation, and I would expect shelters to not try to place a St Bernard with someone living in a small apartment and wanting a small dog. This might be classist though.

in my experience shelters only have a few dogs available for foster at any given time, so they'll show you what they have. the ones around here do fostering to free up more space and for dogs that need more help than usual (medical problems, old, etc).

i can imagine "we want to foster a dog to help you out! do you have any young small healthy and easy dogs?" gets really old for shelter workers; those dogs get adopted quickly and wouldn't typically need foster care. i can't really blame a worker for showing the foster dogs to someone asking about fostering

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

In Training posted:

NY state is about to cut a big fat loving check to the landlord class. Again.

dont forget, the supreme court is gonna make rent control illegal

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

of course theyre popular you loving idiot, nobody can afford anything

cant buy expensive stuff because no money, now some lib says cant buy cheap stuff because it ruins planet. cool how bout you just fix capitalism then

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Vox Nihili posted:

Older guy working at Microsoft gets laid off after 33 years, immediately spouts praise for the company that shitcanned him

lol i was about to ask who wants to hire a consultant whose proudest accomplishments include 2 failed products, and then i caught myself

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

no, i have a cat

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lots of dumb bitch opinions the last couple pages

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Medical sector stocks skyrocket as boomers liquidate their portfolios to pay off medical bills.

In anticipation of that there are bills in both House and Senate to restrict federally funded health providers from buying equipment and services from "foreign adversary biotech companies" (we all know who they are).

Look, if you're going to get bilked, it should be done with American healthcare equipment, so let's make a law.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lots of dumb bitch opinions the last couple pages

me coming here for econ talk only to see 5 pages of dumb bullsjhit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

silicone thrills posted:

This poo poo makes me crazy because the same people are like "wow why don't younger people try to move up the ladder at my company" and its like ITS YOU YOU rear end in a top hat YOU LITERALLY WONT loving RETIRE DESPITE HAVING THE MEANS TO AND ARE TAKING UP A loving JOB.

Jesus christ are you so loving boring that you cant imagine working on either solo projects or volunteering your time? FIND A loving HOBBY

theres 0 promotion potential at my current job. it doesnt matter how well you do, theres simply no room. the boomers at my job make the most money of anyone, and do the least work.