Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

When I was growing up, I went to see a number of R-rated movies at the theater inside of the local mall, and I pretty much never got carded or anything there, despite being pretty visibly underage (like 14-16). The one time they tried to make a big deal of it was for that brief span where the South Park movie was playing in theaters - they had printed out a sign for the ticket window saying "All guests for South Park will be carded", and someone had scratched out the title and written "all R-rated movies" in blue pen ink over it. Of course, that sign - and attitude towards carding - was gone in about 3 weeks or so, when South Park had left screenings and I was able to get into see Deep Blue Sea without an eyebrow raised lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

And that's the smart way to do it. I can't overstate how important it is with how you carry yourself.

"Act like you're supposed to be there and people will generally treat you like you're supposed to be there" is something I've heard often enough, and inadvertently used once or twice, that I figure there's something to it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

In high school me and my crew used to see movies every Friday and the one time we ever got carded and turned away for an R movie was loving Royal Tanenbaums.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I snuck into a ton of movies growing up but I was a movie kid so I wanted to see the movie, I wasn't there to gently caress around. As soon as I managed to get into the theatre the mission became to just sit there like a bump on a log and don't bring attention to myself. I was looking over my shoulder every two seconds until the lights went down thinking an usher would be on my trail ready to kick me out.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Class3KillStorm posted:

When I was growing up, I went to see a number of R-rated movies at the theater inside of the local mall, and I pretty much never got carded or anything there, despite being pretty visibly underage (like 14-16). The one time they tried to make a big deal of it was for that brief span where the South Park movie was playing in theaters - they had printed out a sign for the ticket window saying "All guests for South Park will be carded", and someone had scratched out the title and written "all R-rated movies" in blue pen ink over it. Of course, that sign - and attitude towards carding - was gone in about 3 weeks or so, when South Park had left screenings and I was able to get into see Deep Blue Sea without an eyebrow raised lol.

My teen years during the 80s it was a very mixed bag on getting carded or not. It mostly depended on which theater and whether my Dad knew the owner or not. From my observations, whether a theater is diligent with refusing a ticket sale be it from carding or severely intoxicated depends on past experience. Being that just during my time at the locations I've worked at where there's been overdoses, a stabbing, a shooting, projectile vomiting up and down the stairs, explosive diarrhea across multiple seats, the bathroom stall where someone locked it and kicked their way out from the inside , and the other time where was enough blood smeared in the back stall that we were checking with everyone who worked that night if anyone was seen staggering out or carried out, then yeah, we're going to be a skosh strict on things by us.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was the first one to turn 17 in my group so I bought us all tickets to see hannibal. The manager carded us in the very long line, and one of us being old enough was not enough, we had to call one of our dads to come with. From a payphone!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

I was the first one to turn 17 in my group so I bought us all tickets to see hannibal. The manager carded us in the very long line, and one of us being old enough was not enough, we had to call one of our dads to come with. From a payphone!

lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I remember them being pretty serious about carding for Hannibal because word got out pretty quick that there was a scene of him cooking a dude's brain and eating it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gary oldman's make up and the brain eating were the best parts

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

I remember them being pretty serious about carding for Hannibal because word got out pretty quick that there was a scene of him cooking a dude's brain and eating it.

my mom and dad saw it and told me how disgusting it was and it made me want to see it more but they wouldnt take me because I was 10 or so. I saw it on one of those direct tv pay channels when it came out and thought it was awesome and nasty. Especially the guy who got sliced and hung as his guts spilled out.

Mason Verger freaked me out so much. I was shocked when I learned it was Gary Oldman. fantastic character.

I really like randomly saying "CORDELL! CORDELL!".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I had to drag my weird Divorced Dad uncle to see Hostel as they were very adamant about no minors seeing it unaccompanied. And being unemployed he had nothing better to do.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

my mom and dad saw it and told me how disgusting it was and it made me want to see it more but they wouldnt take me because I was 10 or so.

my stepdad took me, i was 10 or so.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Never got carded, never paid for the movies I snuck into as a kid after paying for the PG rated ones too. Osmosis Jones was showing like 20 minutes after Jeepers Creepers so I didn't see the beginning of that movie until I was like 25.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the hannibal novel is bad but the movie and adaption of the story for the tv series are good

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dorium posted:

Yeah the Longlegs trailer rocks. Same for Cuckoo. The first trailer for The First Omen also rocked. The one with the fever ray track over it. Good year for trailers so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4xk8yLiFwM

Perfect combo of audio and visuals. Also love that all the footage is in reverse. Just works with such a simple trick.
Ultimately I liked the ad campaign more than the film but I'm confident that won't be the case with Longlegs.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also my rated r story is my dad sneaking me into The Brown Bunny when I was a young (tho I think that was x or unrated)
I had a weird intelligentsia family do not recommend. TBf all we knew about it was that the poster said "the most controversial film in America" so I guess we thought there'd be some deep poo poo.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Me (10) and my nephew (6) tried to see the original Robocop and we were denied. We had to walk back to my mom's apartment and get her to buy us tickets, then she went home.

My mom ruled.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also my rated r story is my dad sneaking me into The Brown Bunny when I was a young (tho I think that was x or unrated)

why

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was like a hosed up kid who looked up controversial art films and French New extremity/Takashi Miike on like Netflix by mail cuz at the time i thought that was what was "smart" and "transgressive" and my dad was like a Pasolini/Gaspar Noe lover so there were some weird family movie experiences.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was like a hosed up kid who looked up controversial art films and French New extremity/Takashi Miike on like Netflix by mail cuz at the time i thought that was what was "smart" and "transgressive" and my dad was like a Pasolini/Gaspar Noe lover so there were some weird family movie experiences.

ngl your dad sounds p weird

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh for sure. To this day he still has my taste when I was like 15 and thought Gaspar Noe was like a genius :shrug:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dw ill be your dad and well watch normal movies dads show their kids when theyre too young like terminator

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
terminator 2 was lit but i always covered my eyes when the foster dad was killed lol

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I was the one introducing my dad to most horror stuff and he ended up really loving the Evil Dead movies more than anything

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My first introduction to horror was being a small child and being scared of the Return of the Living Dead II box art for the VHS my great-grandmother had but becoming obsessed with always looking at it when I went over and eventually sneaking it home and watching it. Kickstarted me loving all kinds of monsters and horror.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Poltergeist for movies. Also the Langoliers on TV.

The real first introduction for horror was this though:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Doltos posted:

Poltergeist for movies. Also the Langoliers on TV.

they released an edition of this without the badass illustrations and it sucked

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they released an edition of this without the badass illustrations and it sucked

They PG'd up the movie too. I would have loved to see a movie adaptation of the original instead of the blanded out version.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Doltos posted:

They PG'd up the movie too. I would have loved to see a movie adaptation of the original instead of the blanded out version.

isnt it a childrens book

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

first real horror movie for me was on holiday, watching late night telly with my dad who invited me to stay up with him and watch an Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom rerun. nicely threaded the needle for appropriate horror content, those movies are just such great fun

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Doltos posted:

its a good horror movie for children which is what it needs to be

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

they PG'd up the childrens book!!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Alien was the first horror movie I saw far too young and gave me nightmares for weeks.

I'm sure I told the story of how 9-year-old me accidentally saw Last House on the Left in last year's Halloween challenge thread too (Halloween party tape rentals, my well-meaning mother doesn't realize Craven toned himself down a good deal for NoES and Scream)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kvlt! posted:

they PG'd up the childrens book!!

Definitely marketed towards children but it was a well known book for hosed up illustrations and stories. I read it as a kid but I dunno if kids were supposed to be looking at this:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kids love that poo poo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
those books might have been the most popular ones at my school library the stories werent that scary on their own but the illustrations were cool and everyone wanted to look at them

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

kids love that poo poo

yeah it looks explicitly like a book tame enough for kids to handle but still a lil spooky

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Doltos posted:

Never read this but I immediately recognized that creepy, dreamy watercolor style from a childhood favorite:

Sure enough, same artist did the interior paintings

Also have to give a big shout out to the Crestwood House Monster Series, aka the orange monster books

Highly coveted items in the elementary school library, let me tell you

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So if kids love it then I guess they shouldn't have watered down the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Doltos posted:

So if kids love it then I guess they shouldn't have watered down the movie

the movie is on the level of those stories no need for blood and gore just some cheap scares and scary looking monsters