Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bright Bart posted:

What's bothering me about the finale is the elderly feral Ghoul. She's hinted as being Lucy's mother right? Or is that just a Red Herring or what they mean is her mother ended up like that Ghoul?

Because I don't see why they'd have been creuly kept around for so long up to that point. And also why Hank doesn't seem to care either way.

She's her mother. That's why it zoomed in on the necklace fused to her skin - she remembers it. Presumably Moldaver kept her like that because she couldn't bear to mercy kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

RBA Starblade posted:

If he didn't have to sell Lucy out to get his medicine he wouldn't, but he's still self-serving at the end of the day.

What makes you think that?

He has a Woody Harrelson thing going on and AI think people might be reading into that that he's a sunna bitch with a heart of gold when really he's just a sunna bitch.

Harold apologists doing overtime to excuse a man who did the things we see him do.

The pre-fallout Harold might have been a good man, however.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Why didn't the Ghoul drop Maximus the first time they met? He didn't seem to have an issue with killing and the armor doesn't slow him down later.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

What makes you think that?

He has a Woody Harrelson thing going on and AI think people might be reading into that that he's a sunna bitch with a heart of gold when really he's just a sunna bitch.

Harold apologists doing overtime to excuse a man who did the things we see him do.

The pre-fallout Harold might have been a good man, however.

Harold?

raverrn posted:

Why didn't the Ghoul drop Maximus the first time they met? He didn't seem to have an issue with killing and the armor doesn't slow him down later.

He was probably having too much fun - Maximums was driving it like a shopping cart after all.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 17, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rougey posted:

Harold?

He was probably having too much fun - Maximums was driving it like a shopping cart after all.

Yeah thats how I read it. Same with Lucy. He was sorta amused by just how clueless and inept they were. Seems like normally he would've shot her as soon as she started to draw.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bright Bart posted:

What's bothering me about the finale is the elderly feral Ghoul.

I don't think she's elderly, she just got roasted extra hard and that's just damage.

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah he drinks groundwater but he makes her drink visibly worse quality than what he had.

thinking about this some more, he makes her eat ghoul jerky right off the bat too, can't be the only thing to eat in the wasteland, that's just him trying to make her dirty

dr_rat posted:

Yeah thats how I read it. Same with Lucy. He was sorta amused by just how clueless and inept they were. Seems like normally he would've shot her as soon as she started to draw.

yeah I get this from him quite a lot, he's amused and pushed a little bit out of his jaded monotony

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't think she's elderly, she just got roasted extra hard and that's just damage.

Yep, would only been a ghoul for what 20 years, and wouldn't of been that old when she became a ghoul. Likely just a whole bunch of radation put her much further along the ghoulfication line.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Oh I also missed why Lucy is going on with Harold now?

What exactly can she accomplish now that things have worked out the way they did?

e: I want to see Maximus fail his way upwards even more. Hank is brought to meet Caeser and it's just old Maxy. Hank is all like 'didn't I see you as a Brotherhood footsolider about to die like a month ago? how did this happen?' and Maximus honestly shouts that he doesn't know, he threw an empty bottle and it hit the head of the old emperor and killed him and then everyone made him the new empereror.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 17, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bright Bart posted:

What exactly can she accomplish now that things have worked out the way they did?

e: I want to see Maximus fail his way upwards even more. Hank is brought to meet Caeser and it's just old Maxy. Hank is all like 'didn't I see you as a Brotherhood footsolider about to die like a month ago? how did this happen?' and Maximus honestly shouts that he doesn't know, he threw an empty bottle and it hit the head of the old emperor and killed him and then everyone made him the new empereror.

I deleted that because i wasn't a 100% where you were up to and i couldn't be sure i wasn't spoiling it. Now re-reading it i see you finished it.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 17, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

One more thing, I absolutely loved the cabal meeting and how cringe it was.

At first I thought it was over the top. But then I passed to look and saw that it's barely an exaggeration of how smart people with too much power can reach inane conclusions and believe they're acting reasonable because hey they're smart people and it makes sense to them.

You get things like the idea of wiping out most of humanity to create peace because there won't be countries to wage war. Or that dropping nukes is just 'creating the synergistic market conditions to ehance our market share' of fallout bunkers. Or that you can 'win capitalism' by literally nuking your competition so people have no choice but to go with your products.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 17, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bright Bart posted:

e: I want to see Maximus fail his way upwards even more.

That would be a very fallout thing. He's just wandering around doing random dumb poo poo and for some reason keeps ending up the head of a bunch of factions for no reason as far as he can tell.

"Wait you're the head of the West Coast Brotherhood of Steel, The kings, and Caesar's legion?"

"I dunno, I guess I think???"

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 17, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BrotherJayne posted:

Peeeeeeer the looooore it was China that fired first, so vault tec was more building up a stockpile when the poo poo kicked off. Of course, I think it was like 6am on the west coast oriole poo poo, peeeeeeer theeeeee loooooore

I'm here for it

That's not incompatible with the show, which suggests "China's" strike on LA was a Vault-Tec inside job.

It's not like anybody was around to do an investigation; This might be a case of the recorded lore being wrong.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

grobbo posted:

As a nice surprise, they should have a veteran adventuring party in S2 made up of the working Hollywood actors who did a quick VA gig for some 1997 video game and haven't thought about it since.

Clancy Brown, Keith David, and Tony Shalhoub all wandering the wastes together.

Oh wow I didn't even realize Clancy Brown was actually in Fallout lol. I just thought he had the right combination of gravitas and camp to work in this show.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Y'all suppose they'll get Dave Foley back to voice Yes Man for Season 2? If Vegas is unlit that likely indicates a Yes Man ending and perhaps he's in all the securitrons now. . I always like when he pops up in stuff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Y'all suppose they'll get Dave Foley back to voice Yes Man for Season 2?

If Yes Man shows up I would be pretty surprised if they didn't get Dave Foley to voice him. Like how expensive would it even be to get him for an afternoon of voice work?

And yeah Davey Foley's great. Pity other than Kids and the Hall and NewRadio he doesn't seem to of been in much other than the occasional cameo. Just checked IMDB and it looks like he's got a larger role in the newest seasons of Fargo.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Well this is the Ghoul going out of his way to be lovely towards her, I think he's extra spiteful to her (pouring his clean water on the ground e.g.) because she's so clean and he wants to dirty her up. This thing between them operates on a lot of levels, it's not just the world, it's very personal between them (mostly from Howard though)
e: he says he's trying to educate her and in a certain sense, he does, but the majority is just him being enormously bitter and jaded by all the things he's done and seen and lived through

While I think your in the right spot with this, I think it's also the fact that he probably holds a massive grudge with anything to do with Vault Tec

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BlackIronHeart posted:

He has a line in Ep 3 that had native English speaking Americans going 'wut?' but good luck!

Can you explain?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who the gently caress is Harold

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bright Bart posted:

What's bothering me about the finale is the elderly feral Ghoul. She's hinted as being Lucy's mother right? Or is that just a Red Herring or what they mean is her mother ended up like that Ghoul?

Because I don't see why they'd have been creuly kept around for so long up to that point. And also why Hank doesn't seem to care either way.

I don't think it's just hinted. I think Moldaver literally has a line at the very end of the show that spells it out. Doesn't she say "Lucy's mom's name, we did it"?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

dr_rat posted:

And yeah Davey Foley's great. Pity other than Kids and the Hall and NewRadio he doesn't seem to of been in much other than the occasional cameo. Just checked IMDB and it looks like he's got a larger role in the newest seasons of Fargo.

he starred in a movie in the 90s called the wrong guy, he plays a complete moron who thinks he's on the run from the law

it's really funny and the whole thing is up on youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxDGru6oJCs

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
having a revolving door of character actor NPCs would be loving genius.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TIP posted:

he starred in a movie in the 90s called the wrong guy, he plays a complete moron who thinks he's on the run from the law

it's really funny and the whole thing is up on youtube now

Well now I know what's the next movie I'm watching. Cheers!

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
We had better god drat well have "patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter" end up as a straight-up catchphrase in S2.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Bright Bart posted:

Howard is going to track down Hank to find out who is at the top of the Vault-Tec Survivors Ladder, so he can get answers about where his wife and daughter ended up. Lucy wants to know why her dad is such a horrific monster, so she is teaming up with Howard.

Harold is an FEV mutant that looks like a ghoul from the games.

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah he drinks groundwater but he makes her drink visibly worse quality than what he had.

He tried to pressure her to drink muddy puddle water, but when she finally drinks, it's from the same rusted, radioactive bucket he just filled his canteen from.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Schubalts posted:

Well, until Bob comes along anyway.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
so i just skipped to this page after finishing the show... are there any funny moments compilations where ingame ui has been bodged in???

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Schubalts posted:

From fallout 2 onwards he looks a bit different from a regular ghoul as he starts to get a tree growing out of his head:

No regular ghoul ever had vegetation growing out of them as far as I can recall.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

dr_rat posted:

From fallout 2 onwards he looks a bit different from a regular ghoul as he starts to get a tree growing out of his head:

Yes. That's Bob.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Booty Pageant posted:

so i just skipped to this page after finishing the show... are there any funny moments compilations where ingame ui has been bodged in???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtpsHFSaNBQ

It's missing the AP drain and the Crit Ready indicator but it still works.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
i liked the bit where the brother of lucy had to hack the computer by showing him having to play the hangman variant minigame

i also like the early parts of maximus being so desperate to be a hero and then getting extremely horny over how heroic he is when he gets to filly. I think that could have been explored more but they drop it for more of a buddy romance type thing

overall pleasantly surprised by the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone on the surface acts like they get kicked in the head by a mule annually.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

dr_rat posted:

I think there is something happening there, where even though he hates her genuine earnestness, he does want to destroy that in her/ harden her, but she also hits him in a way where she reminds him he used to be someone else, someone who was soft and kind.

Especially after the Super Duper Mart.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Can I get a round for my man Chett? He's been instrumental to the plot progression in a number of ways and at significant personal risk. He didn't flinch when it came to being a stepfather when most dudes would nope out. And he helped the love of his life escape even though it meant losing the one thing keeping him going, and this was after his one true love rushed to bed another dude sight unseen. Yeah she gives a reasonable excuse, but it's reasonable to us, she was okay with him being her mom's sister's son or whatever before and it only became a problem once she got bored, I don't buy for one minute that she'd have gone for the arranged marriage if he was able to keep her attention.

And when he dies in some freak ghoul attack, will there be a full funeral episode for him? Will anyone pour out their vault beer over his passing?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 17, 2024

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
it will turn out chett was yesman all along

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bright Bart posted:

Can I get a round for my man Chett? He's been instrumental to the plot progression in a number of ways and at significant personal risk. He didn't flinch when it came to being a stepfather when most dudes would nope out. And he helped the love of is life escape even though it meant losing the one thing keeping him going, and this was after his one true love rushed to bed another dude sight unseen. Yeah she gives a reasonable excuse, but it's reasonable to us, she was okay with him being her mom's sister's son or whatever before and it only became a problem once she got bored, I don't buy for one minute that she'd have gone for the arranged marriage if he was able to keep her attention.

And when he dies in some freak ghoul attack, will there be a full funeral episode for him? Will anyone pour out their vault beer over his passing?

Chester's a stand-up guy for sure. Who wouldn't want a Chet on their squad? Pre-war he's the guy first in line to help you move in consideration for a slice of pizza and a cold beer, 20 minutes early to pick you up from the airport, willing to put down his controller and listen to you vent about your breakup.

Arguably his most ignoble act is being willing to take advantage of Steph's manic grief to get some slime on his tip, but she was throwing herself at the guy & turning her down would have felt cruel too. (It was probably all Vault 31 calculation anyway)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zoux posted:

Everyone on the surface acts like they get kicked in the head by a mule annually.

Got some Dean Martin for you and he's talking about the greatest feeling in the world: Love. Ain't that a kick in the head?
It sure is, Dean-o, it sure is.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 17, 2024

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I too am curious about what happened with his daughter. Last we see her timeline-wise is in the first ep, with them riding away as LA gets glasified. The lady overseer in 33 is confirmed to be an alive adult when the bombs dropped so they can’t pull that twist on us at least.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

BigglesSWE posted:

I too am curious about what happened with his daughter. Last we see her timeline-wise is in the first ep, with them riding away as LA gets glasified. The lady overseer in 33 is confirmed to be an alive adult when the bombs dropped so they can’t pull that twist on us at least.

I'm wondering if they might go with her getting ghoulified along with Coop, and then snatched up post-apocalypse by Barb in order to 'cure' her.

It'd be a bolder storytelling choice, explain why he's so confident that his family are still alive, and logistically it's smoother than having Vault-Tec swoop in and snatch her off to safety mid-apocalypse.

Come to think of it, that opening scene also supports the argument that Vault-Tec didn't cold-bloodedly set off the bombs as part of their master plan. If Barb knew for a fact that it was coming ahead of time, she surely could have found an excuse to ensure her daughter was with her that day, not hanging out with her dad at a kids' birthday party.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

raverrn posted:

he'd burnt through all his VATS AP loving up everyone else in the town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Bright Bart posted:

Can I get a round for my man Chett? He's been instrumental to the plot progression in a number of ways and at significant personal risk. He didn't flinch when it came to being a stepfather when most dudes would nope out. And he helped the love of his life escape even though it meant losing the one thing keeping him going, and this was after his one true love rushed to bed another dude sight unseen

Not gonna lie, any scene of him being a (step)dad had my heart melting it bit

How fuckin' BIG is the oval office though? He's gotta be like 6'6 or some poo poo