Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

ymgve posted:

The correct response to this is "an external source without direct access to your backend found 150 premium accounts posting nazi content. Why didn't you, with your direct access search tools, user reports and bot protection stuff find them first?"

(the answer is, of course, that he protects the nazis, but that would make him twitch a little)

edit: NBC should, if they didn't already do it, put every single nazi account/tweet they found into Twitter's reporting system, then come with a followup article in some weeks that would probably go like "we reported 150+ nazi accounts on twitter. 130 of them are still active"

Except it would be "we reported 150 Nazi accounts, somehow of that 150, 180 are still posting, 260 have received free gold ticks, 357 have received partnership payouts from X the everything app, and 420 have been retweeted by Musk directly "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

shyduck posted:

It's just gonna continue to be a slow bleed. Nixing the $25k car is a big blow though, and I don't think anybody outside of the usual fanboy psychopaths give a poo poo about Robotaxi
If they could make a car for $25k then the Model 3 would be $25k because it's basically impossible to cut any more corners off of that piece of poo poo. BYD is only pulling it off because the Chinese government is willing to hurl money at it.

Waymo is still losing money, and one of the biggest problems with operating a taxi fleet is the expense of the fleet itself, especially depreciation, which is a serious problem for EVs right now because everyone buying a used EV assumes the battery is shot.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

kazil posted:

Elon Musk: Nazi content rounds down to almost zero

Sure, the incomplete dataset or nazis rounds down to almost zero, when it's not being actively promoted by THE OWNER OF THE PLATFORM.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
"we can live with that many nazis. we could sustain even more"

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
chill, it's almost fact that elon's only following every nazi account so he can keep track of their movements and that's it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

most rich people hire poop touchers, Elon absolutely wallers in it.

Speaking of rich and useless, I took the vocal data from that Grimes supercut of suck and ran it through my sampler. Its an absolute treasure trove. She's pretty fuckin drunk and her yells of frustration really lent themselves to pitch bendifying. And you get down to the real incidental vocal noises that just chop up into real nice abstract drums and dub noises. Pattern them up and pitch em down and you interesting bassline textures.

I'm gonna show them off on my weekly stream tomorrow night 10pmEST(basically as soon as AEW'S Dynamite finishes and the dog settles). Check my profile for the linktree with all the deets. Or dont? I'll be having a blast, won't care.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

ymgve posted:

The correct response to this is "an external source without direct access to your backend found 150 premium accounts posting nazi content. Why didn't you, with your direct access search tools, user reports and bot protection stuff find them first?"

(the answer is, of course, that he protects the nazis, but that would make him twitch a little)

edit: NBC should, if they didn't already do it, put every single nazi account/tweet they found into Twitter's reporting system, then come with a followup article in some weeks that would probably go like "we reported 150+ nazi accounts on twitter. 130 of them are still active"

Yeah it’s not like they’re digging deep here. Even finding 150 is going to take hours because even if each one only takes a minute that’s still gonna be a while! NBC doesn’t have the tools to do some deep dive and be like “yeah we ran the analytics and we found -large number- of people posting Nazi content.” 150 means there are dozens or hundreds of accounts that weren’t identified for each one they did find

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

OneEightHundred posted:

a serious problem for EVs right now because everyone buying a used EV assumes the battery is shot.

Correctly so, batteries are consumable. I also replace every fluid in a used car, and just consider it a happy surprise if the brakes and tires are on good condition. And just lol at trusting battery self diagnostics from tesla, the only good inspection of their stuff would be a full battery disassembly and testing every cell indivisible

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

OneEightHundred posted:

because everyone buying a used EV assumes the battery is shot.

Yeah, why the gently caress would I do that?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

OneEightHundred posted:

Waymo is still losing money, and one of the biggest problems with operating a taxi fleet is the expense of the fleet itself, especially depreciation, which is a serious problem for EVs right now because everyone buying a used EV assumes the battery is shot.

I've thought about this quite a bit and I actually do think robo-taxis are going to happen and going to happen in the next few years, no one seems to understand the problem that they are trying to solve though. Streetcars.

I, like millions and millions of people in the US live in what used to be considered "streetcar suburbs", the rails have been ripped out but they are still fairly density neighborhoods with zero high speed traffic with easy access to rapid transit. Throw a small shuttle that can deliver packages, avoid running over a cat or a child at 20MPH and take you to the local train station and you are golden.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sounds great, just add a human operator to oversee the AI performance in case of unforseen issues and we've got this transportation problem solved!

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I've thought about this quite a bit and I actually do think robo-taxis are going to happen and going to happen in the next few years, no one seems to understand the problem that they are trying to solve though. Streetcars.

I, like millions and millions of people in the US live in what used to be considered "streetcar suburbs", the rails have been ripped out but they are still fairly density neighborhoods with zero high speed traffic with easy access to rapid transit. Throw a small shuttle that can deliver packages, avoid running over a cat or a child at 20MPH and take you to the local train station and you are golden.

Why not just regular buses/shuttles driven by humans. It could even be done now without some robot taxi

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sounds great, just add a human operator to oversee the AI performance in case of unforseen issues and we've got this transportation problem solved!

Remote viewing bay where a driver has access to the cameras of 4 or more robotaxis (probably 10+) and simply intervenes whenever one of them does something weird. Outsource it to India or the Philippines or wherever, pay them barely anything, and it’ll be good enough to skirt past most half-assed regulations we’ll probably see. And if anyone dies the driver was on a zero hour contract anyway and technically wasn’t your employee in the first place. Bing bong, so simple

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You can automate trains stupid easy. The dude up front just pisses into a 2liter and reads manga.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

coconono posted:

You can automate trains stupid easy. The dude up front just pisses into a 2liter and reads manga.

It's actually quite hard to teach an ai bot how to piss into a two litre bottle and read manga. It's nowhere near a solved problem.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

dr_rat posted:

It's actually quite hard to teach an ai bot how to piss into a two litre bottle and read manga. It's nowhere near a solved problem.

Double plus ungood, sounds like I’ll have to continue hiring cheap immigrant labour

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
I worked with two robot arms that were absolutely stellar employees. They were not bipedal and couldn't potentially sexually gently caress you, though.

They did wear costumes on holidays.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

dr_rat posted:

So looks like the laying off 10% of employees did not actually help tesla stock price. lol.

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/TSLA:NASDAQ?hl=en

Honestly I'm surprised that layoffs help stock prices under any circumstances. IMO it's kinda like saying "Yeah, sure there was a lot of bleeding in one of my limbs, but I've made a decision to sacrifice 10% of my body mass to keep the bleeding down!" That's not a announcement you'd make if you were actually healthy.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

I worked with two robot arms that were absolutely stellar employees. They were not bipedal and couldn't potentially sexually gently caress you, though.

They did wear costumes on holidays.

If they couldn't gently caress you they weren't proper arms

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The robot arms could probably gently caress you UP though

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Viscous Soda posted:

Honestly I'm surprised that layoffs help stock prices under any circumstances. IMO it's kinda like saying "Yeah, sure there was a lot of bleeding in one of my limbs, but I've made a decision to sacrifice 10% of my body mass to keep the bleeding down!" That's not a announcement you'd make if you were actually healthy.

It can make the profits go up temporarily, as you immediately don't have that expense (although you do often have to pay employee termination costs, which depending on the employee contracts can be quite a bit), but any lost profits that are going to be felt from it will take a bit of time to set it.

It's more though a lot of people who invest in stocks are right wing broke brain, and think employees never do much of anything anyway. Also once the whole, 'if you fire a bunch of employees the stock price goes up' becomes a thing, it's then self-fulfilling as people now want to invest when they see a bunch of people laid off as they know the stock price is going to go up.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

priznat posted:

The robot arms could probably gently caress you UP though

Those things were cool as poo poo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

dr_rat posted:

It can make the profits go up temporarily, as you immediately don't have that expense (although you do often have to pay employee termination costs, which depending on the employee contracts can be quite a bit), but any lost profits that are going to be felt from it will take a bit of time to set it.

It's more though a lot of people who invest in stocks are right wing broke brain, and think employees never do much of anything anyway. Also once the whole, 'if you fire a bunch of employees the stock price goes up' becomes a thing, it's then self-fulfilling as people now want to invest when they see a bunch of people laid off as they know the stock price is going to go up.

It’s very situational from what I’ve seen, there’s plenty of companies that have ended up bloated and did very well out of laying off staff where functions were duplicated or no longer needed. There’s also plenty where they haven’t been well targeted and the people let go were actually doing valuable work and the company performance suffered as a result.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

gay picnic defence posted:

It’s very situational from what I’ve seen, there’s plenty of companies that have ended up bloated and did very well out of laying off staff where functions were duplicated or no longer needed. There’s also plenty where they haven’t been well targeted and the people let go were actually doing valuable work and the company performance suffered as a result.
It's not just duplication but also spending too much money on weird side ventures that aren't panning out. Investors like the idea that the company is refocusing on its areas of strength if it's struggling.

The problem is Tesla isn't refocusing anything, they're just cutting staff because their revenue is in decline and they have no plan B.

It's especially bad when the problem isn't just competition (which they could theoretically outcompete), but overall declining interest in EVs, which they have no escape from.

Sentient Data posted:

Correctly so, batteries are consumable.
Well yeah but knowing how much life they have left on them is kinda important when they're a REALLY EXPENSIVE consumable, and there isn't really a good way to do that because mileage isn't a good gauge due to things like climate having a significant effect on battery degradation, and the diagnostics being non-standardized and inaccurate, so buyers are just assuming the worst-case scenario.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 17, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

Valve is the best, completely flat org chart. People just do what they want and form and disband teams as it makes sense for whatever vanity project they've decided to work on

:hmmyes: so productive

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It’s nothing to do with performance or what those employees actually do, it’s a by-now-formalised ritual sacrifice to the great god Capitalism so that the number-go-up will come back.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Re: bpm/sync chat
You can always use headphones

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MrQwerty posted:

Those things were cool as poo poo

Were they?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeHY6QQS/

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

coconono posted:

most rich people hire poop touchers, Elon absolutely wallers in it.

Speaking of rich and useless, I took the vocal data from that Grimes supercut of suck and ran it through my sampler. Its an absolute treasure trove. She's pretty fuckin drunk and her yells of frustration really lent themselves to pitch bendifying. And you get down to the real incidental vocal noises that just chop up into real nice abstract drums and dub noises. Pattern them up and pitch em down and you interesting bassline textures.

I'm gonna show them off on my weekly stream tomorrow night 10pmEST(basically as soon as AEW'S Dynamite finishes and the dog settles). Check my profile for the linktree with all the deets. Or dont? I'll be having a blast, won't care.

Post here if it’s so good.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

A billion bisexual (and other) robots freeing humans from the servitude of undesired blowjobs

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

OneEightHundred posted:

If they could make a car for $25k then the Model 3 would be $25k because it's basically impossible to cut any more corners off of that piece of poo poo. BYD is only pulling it off because the Chinese government is willing to hurl money at it.

Or it's a pump and dump scheme where they don't really try developing it/know it won't work - but keep CEOs having $800000 while Venture funds funnels billions into a company with the intention of duping others too buy stocks for a useless company with unsustainable promises

Three Olives posted:

I don't think the technology is nowhere near being able to do that without killing a lot of people. It would either be programmed to react - an impossible task just because all of the code that need to be written, or learn from experience, something that is very time consuming a trillion data points and would bloat both servers and software. Take large language models like ChatGPT who've started to degenerate because they use available public (at least that's what they say) - and none of those models are able to understand disinformation

Or it's a scheme to raise stock prices

Modus operandi for lagre companies like Meta and Alphabet is to fire people just to hire the same amount back a year later - either it's "company have less expenses" - or it's "Company is "developing". Stock prices go up either way

Gnomocide
Oct 9, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

Also if the show has any pyrotechnics, those are going to be triggered manually. On top of the obvious safety concerns, the DMX control protocol for stage gear doesn't have any error correction, so it's prone to brief malfunctions from signal noise.

What? If you use correct impedance cables (ie dmx not XLR) and terminate your daisy chain, dmx is rock solid and not prone to errors, no? That's why we all still use such ancient protocols (I thought?)

I am a light person / vj and the one time I did control Pyro it was indeed manual, but I thought that was more to control my consumption of flammable fluids than any potential dmx issue.

On that note, would love to be a fly on the wall inside the light people's front of house during that 'show' lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Streetcar+ where van or bus sized shuttles service main roads and some side roads offshoots on demand is probably a very achievable automation dream for the next 20 years right after we finally get autopilot on trains.

I'm not sure why we'd expect Tesla to be at the forefront of operator-less robotaxis when the hyper loop, a tunnel made by Tesla for Tesla that does not change and has completely predictable traffic and road qualities, still has an operator in each car.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Viscous Soda posted:

The stock market is completely irrational and sociopathic.

OneEightHundred posted:

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/before-tesla-layoffs-musk-cranked-up-pressure-amid-sales-slump

Article is paywalled but the non-paywalled part is pretty funny.

Construction on Tesla's Austin factory expansion is delayed because it's waiting for Musk's other company to drill a hole in the ground so they can have a Cybertruck tunnel.

The entire state of Texas is bedrock, how in the gently caress are they going to drill that in a reasonable time?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
lol Tesla's board is asking shareholders to approve the $56 billion dollar pay package for Elon that got terminated last year

Ahahaha the quote from the chair

quote:

EV giant Tesla, Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) is calling for its shareholders to vote once again on CEO Elon Musk’s invalidated pay package, worth $47 billion at current stock price levels.

The pay package, worth $56 billion earlier, was nullified by a Delaware court earlier in January, as the judge deemed it an “unfathomable sum.” In response to the ruling, Musk expressed discontent with Delaware and announced plans to relocate the company’s incorporation to Texas, where Tesla is already headquartered.

New Letter: Tesla board Chairperson Robyn Denholm addressed stockholders in a letter, expressing dissatisfaction with the court’s decision and advocating for the reinstatement of Musk’s compensation plan.

"Because the Delaware Court second-guessed your decision, Elon has not been paid for any of his work for Tesla for the past six years that has helped to generate significant growth and stockholder value,” she wrote. “That strikes us — and the many stockholders from whom we already have heard — as fundamentally unfair, and inconsistent with the will of the stockholders who voted for it.”

Why It Matters: An overwhelming majority of stockholders voted for the package in 2018 and the board stands behind it as well, she added.

"We do not agree with what the Delaware Court decided, and we do not think that what the Delaware Court said is how corporate law should or does work," Denholm wrote while also urging shareholders to reinstate their vote and approve ratification of Musk's 2018 compensation plan.

"Elon hasn't been paid for his work" ahahahah

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 17, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Good timing, he’s clearly delivering such value to the shareholders

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

please vote for Elon or he'll hit us again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Seth Pecksniff posted:

lol Tesla's board is asking shareholders to approve the $56 billion dollar pay package for Elon that got terminated last year

Ahahaha the quote from the chair

"Elon hasn't been paid for his work" ahahahah

Musk’s invalidated pay package, worth $47 billion at current stock price levels.

The pay package, worth $56 billion earlier

Love it when the CEO demands a huge bonus for knocking nearly 20% off the value of the shares he wants to be paid in