Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

The Locator posted:

Loaded up on relic prophecies and killed the emperor again...

Welp, nope... time to reset the mono and start pushing the corruption up I suppose.

Do prophecies help with boss drops? Or only increase the odds of LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Just the latter, CoF doesn't really boost boas unique drops at all which is probably its biggest flaw.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm making a 2nd Lich to try some things out on, because respeccing is such a pain.

I'm thinking trying different ways of stacking poison or bleed. I have like 3 2-LP Mad Alchemist Ladles and Chaos Bolts might be a fun skill to stack on hit effects with.

Lich is pretty much locked into Reaper Form and Death Seal, but both of those have a node that gives you increased chance to poison on hit, about 110% chance combined.

if you're in poison, you need aura of decay, which, with all the on hit chance, and ailment frequency nodes, and poison resist shred is something like 400% chance to apply poison/sec before any poison chance from your weapon.

Chaos bolts is 2 hits, can proc rip blood twice a second, and sometimes harvest and bone curse. so its applying something like 6 stacks a second at least.

throw a Rotmind on there to buff poison damage, stack %poison damage and Damage over time and int and you probably got something

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Just the latter, CoF doesn't really boost boas unique drops at all which is probably its biggest flaw.

I did not know that. I figured if I took a bunch of unique relic prophecies specific to the boss that drops what I want, that each relic dropped from the kill would have a chance to be the heart. That's kinda crappy if that's not the case, but oh well.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i jumped back on my warlock for a bit and decided to go for a big slam on a whim. the other 2 mods were absolute poo poo.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats 85 mil down the drain lol

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
What were you going for? Two of those mods seem at least okay.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i missed the t7 lightning damage. ideal slam would have been lightning, multi, health on melee hit

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/last-epoch-roadmap/70970

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why, yes, I would like to have some more skill trees in my skill trees.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

with all the red circles the game throws at you i think a dodge mechanic will be welcome. nemesis encounters could be cool depending on what exactly they mean. 1.2 all sounds like extremely my poo poo so im looking forward to that one. i wonder what skill sigils will be. maybe like an additional specialization layer. one thing ive noticed is that once you get your skills all finished around lvl 80 or whatever leveling gets a little less exciting since you lose a number-go-up vector. i would like if this was an extra thing on top to address that.

also interesting poll. i kind of like the idea of locking the bosses to cycle for 1 week and then letting legacy characters blast it. one thing poe racers say all the time is that they dont like practicing the bosses on standard and wish it wasnt a thing but since it is they are kind of forced to do it otherwise they are just throwing.

e: one that that isnt on there is any new factions. i wonder if they have put adding new ones on the backburner. i have been hoping for a crafting focused one.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 7, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dodge roll is another button on what was a button heavy game already. Meh

Also a way for the devs to ignore balancing stat and gear based defenses “just get good” . Meh

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
dodge roll is cool but I don't think that's enough for me to reroll and play a new cycle for. all of this will come to the eternal servers on launch too so I'll just load up and old character to check it out. 1.3 looks like the next time I'll be playing a cycle, but if 1.2 is impressive enough I'll pop on for that too

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tonetta posted:

dodge roll is cool but I don't think that's enough for me to reroll
:haw:

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Wasn't the biggest fan of the boss fights in LE, PoE and D4 did them better in my opinion. Hope these pinnacles turn out great.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I really don't like being a downer on this game but I am very much not a fan of adding dodge rolls. When people ask for a dodge roll in your ARPG, it's because you made encounters that feel as though they require a dodge roll. I consider adding the dodge roll a complete failure of encounter design. Honestly sad to see this development.

I can only pray I'm wrong and they ensure it's a pure buff and they don't start designing encounters around their availability. :sigh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To me it feels more like dodge roll is a feature the game is currently missing considering the severity of enemy damage scaling, how frequently movement skills are paired with offensive attacks and how they're all on a shared cooldown. Right now you can't use teleport offensively in the ways you'd like to because you're just as likely to gib yourself on the next enemy attack. With every class having dodge roll as a basic feature you can now actually use movement skills to do fun stuff instead of diving in and getting splatted instantly, or having to save your teleport for an escape when you'd really rather use it for offense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game is already built around having a dodge. The only difference is that currently you're forced to slot one.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

Dodge roll is another button on what was a button heavy game already.

This is the worst part, I can't even think of where a dodge button would fit on my controller setup

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The damage will get even more insane and you will be forced to do precise dodge rolls and your gear and skills dedicated to defense will be useless and a waste

It’s …. Like not the genre. This isn’t a souls genre ahhhh. Oh well I guess things change

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
the dodge roll in grim dawn was one of the best things added in the qol patch. not sure how it will shake up for this

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I dunno if it's "not the genre" really - and hey, genres can change? In theory I like the idea of more active and engaged gameplay in ARPGs, my concern is really just practical. It's one thing in D4, which is designed around it and is also streamlined around it. But there seem to be way fewer one button builds in this game or in POE so it feels like it'll be a more complicated fit.

Guess we'll have to see though?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah genres change I guess.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Voxx posted:

the dodge roll in grim dawn was one of the best things added in the qol patch. not sure how it will shake up for this

yeah agreed, grim dawn fuckin owns

i enjoyed my time with last epoch but then the poe league hit and i wen back and that game is just so far beyond every other arpg right now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Dodge roll wouldn't be a necessity if lazy devs let us simply bring teleport cooldowns down to 0, as the Lords of Hell intended.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've been playing a lot of Lich, and I'm pretty tanky but there's a LOT of poo poo you have to dodge. Reap is pretty much entirely a dodge skill, and if I fail to dodge one of the many, many boss attacks that will hit hard enough to knock me out of reaper form, I'm basically guaranteed to die like 4 seconds later because I can no longer dodge with Reap. It kinda removes the point to having an extra health bar if having to use the extra health bar means you're already dead anyway. It's like defenses are only for echoes, and don't actually work on bosses. I get that not every hit should be tanked, like if it's clearly telegraphed, and clearly possible to dodge then if you do get on hit, it should suck (also tanking boss attacks because you have 20k ward doesn't count, because that's clearly not intended and is going to be removed.) but bosses have a lot of attacks that will insta-kill you. Like Lagon is ok, his beam and moon attacks have basically infinite damage, but both are telegraphed and entirely dodgeable. His other attacks like the claw slam, and the waves and the single burst from his eye are all tankable, can be dodged, but don't need to be. On the other hand you have Julra, where EVERYTHING needs to be dodged and its everyone's least favorite fight.

Also in echos, those scarab riders that throw exploding spears, or those bats/cats that do the cone breath attack or scream or whatever probably need adjusting, either so you can tank them, or they don't do so much damage in the first tick since there's not really a telegraph. I mean yeah they do those attacks when they get in melee, but then they also have a dash that puts them in melee with no telegraph.

Basically defenses need to be looked at before they think of adding a dodge. They need to take away Ward as a crutch, and maybe add another kind of 1-shot protection on top of Endurance. If they want to make a game like Hades, that's 1 thing, but ARPGs aren't like that. Some people like making builds that clear screens, some people like making unkillable tanky builds, and some people like making hyper-fast builds that kill the minimum number of enemies but clear stuff really fast. Adding a dodge means that they just start making bosses for only one of those kinds of builds.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I already feel almost 100% compelled to have some kind of dodge skill bound at the moment. Making it a separate thing that doesn’t need one of my limited slots/skill allocations sounds like a great idea if it’s sufficiently good.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Anno posted:

I already feel almost 100% compelled to have some kind of dodge skill bound at the moment. Making it a separate thing that doesn’t need one of my limited slots/skill allocations sounds like a great idea if it’s sufficiently good.

Would we still want a dodge if having a movement skill wasn't 100% mandatory? Like if you could get tankier, or get 1-shot protection for those times when you just fail to manually dodge, or bosses had fewer skills that you had to dodge or die.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Every single modern ARPG has a movement skill in nearly every character build, sometimes multiple. This is because, as Sonic revealed to us some 30 years ago, going fast is fun and this enjoyment is enhanced further when one is also killing monsters with high velocity. Dodge rolls are fine, but they are ultimately a band-aid for something that should be a core element to any decent ARPG -- assuming movement skills will be necessary and building around the expectation that players will eventually want to zip around the map at 10,000 miles per hour, because as mentioned previously, going fast is fun.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

A Moose posted:

Would we still want a dodge if having a movement skill wasn't 100% mandatory? Like if you could get tankier, or get 1-shot protection for those times when you just fail to manually dodge, or bosses had fewer skills that you had to dodge or die.

I absolutely would. I’m sort of shocked that anyone wouldn’t. I don’t see how more mobility options could possibly make the game worse. I guess I have been wanting arpgs to have real game play for a long time, though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

A Moose posted:

I would, yeah. Like I’d certainly prefer that other defensive options were more viable as well, but if I’m playing one of these games I want at least one button that makes my character dash/blink/whatever. Those just feel good to press and usually offer good skill expression opportunities.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

euphronius posted:

It’s …. Like not the genre. This isn’t a souls genre ahhhh. Oh well I guess things change

for better or worse, it's the entire genre now unless you're just playing poe, torchlight, or other arpg's released half a decade ago. d4, poe2, no rest for the wicked, and now le all have dodge rolls.

as le stands right now, you don't need a dodge roll to dodge virtually everything in the game if you have a strong mechanical understanding, but it is nice to have so you don't have to feel like you HAVE to take a movement skill ability to travel between packs or whatever, that otherwise doesn't really make sense for your build. I'm not of the opinion that designers are going to put pools of annoying poo poo everywhere (outside of maybe bossing) just to justify the use for a dodge roll. instead, I'm expecting it's more so they can have more open design space on character abilities and players more space in which to optimize their builds for their playstyle. they probably won't be removing any of the movement abilities already in the game, but we won't get the full benefit from having that extra open skill until 1.4 (or whatever the patch they're adding abilities in) either unless they do some big reworks on existing abilities.

e

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I absolutely would. I’m sort of shocked that anyone wouldn’t. I don’t see how more mobility options could possibly make the game worse. I guess I have been wanting arpgs to have real game play for a long time, though.

you should give no rest for the wicked a try. there isn't much content to it right now, but the combat itself is great. the level cap is 30 right now, but you probably won't hit it before running out of content if you're good at "survival" combat.

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 8, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

D3 console has dodge roll too

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
I just want more content. This game already feels so much better than PoE does (tried the new season, couldn't get back into it), but the endgame just needs some TLC. Give me more reasons to stand still and RotS-style wave my lightsaber two handed sword around!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I play a mage and my movement skills mercs half the screen it's awesome

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

euphronius posted:

D3 console has dodge roll too
This is a completely separate thing because D3 on console required a controller to play. The game was actually rebalanced around the fact the player couldn't point and click to move their character around, thus why the dodge roll was added.

The argument is as simple as this: Without a dodge roll, the game designer should be designing around the idea that some people won't have movement tech. With a dodge roll, a game designer will design around the idea that all people have movement tech. This can be both good and bad. From my experience, it's a coin flip over which it ends up actually being. D3 did it well, D4 does it poorly, Grim Dawn did it well, PoE 2 could go either way, and now LE is going into the list.

If you feel like LE needed this, then it means the designer didn't design around people not having movement tech. The solution shouldn't have been adding free movement tech for everyone, it should have been redesigning the encounters.

But that's just my game design thinking cap. I'd love to be wrong and LE has the chance to prove me wrong. We'll see.

exquisite tea posted:

Every single modern ARPG has a movement skill in nearly every character build, sometimes multiple. This is because, as Sonic revealed to us some 30 years ago, going fast is fun and this enjoyment is enhanced further when one is also killing monsters with high velocity.
This is actually where modern ARPGs are trying to separate themselves from each other. I would barely call No Rest For The Wicked an ARPG but it is on that more complex combat end of things PoE 2 seems to be striving for. Diablo 3 and its rift system were on the opposite end, just trying to be as fast as possible with as little complexity; it was all about building a better bulldozer. I want to say the witch doctor's chicken build was the first time I witnessed just how fast a bulldozer in an ARPG could be and it was fascinating and wonderful. A far cry from what you could do in Diablo 2, where leaps and teleports were about as fast as you could get. Then PoE comes along and practically makes that chicken build the norm, titling it a "mapping" build. I think the LE designers are trying their best to not go that far in the speedy direction, still giving some kind of complexity to the encounters.

Compare an contrast all that against peoples' expectations and wants out of the genre and you end up with different opinions on the dodge roll discussion, NRFTW's mixed reviews, and PoE 2's mixed reception among folks who have gotten their hands on it. I don't know if the LE designers have talked about it but I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to meet the needs of both ends of the gameplay spectrum (complex combat vs bulldozing, bossing vs mapping) and the dodge roll is really their next step towards favoring the complex combat side.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 9, 2024

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
All I can say is it is EXTREMELY frustrating to fight a boss for 5-6 minutes and get hit by something big because shift or whatever is on cooldown and get to start all over.

IMO Rahyeh is an example of a really fun boss. He's got some monster big hits, but every one has a decent tell and the fight is much more about you recognizing them and positioning yourself right. I'll run his timeline multiple times just to get to fight him, it feels like a fun challenge where you have to be pretty on your game. Every time I've ever died to Rahyeh I've said, "Oh, look, I hosed up" and went right back at him.

Also IMO Lagon is an example of a totally unfun boss. There's just too much going on, and it's way too easy to shift/port/whatever away from a one-hit directly into a combo wave/claw/lightning bolt. That second phase of running around trying to stay on the 30% of the screen that is not actively deadly is pretty dreadful, VERY rarely have I died there and thought "Oh I hosed up" instead of "What the gently caress was I supposed to do there?"

Then if you get through all that bullshit he doesn't even die, just says "Ha ha you little fucker that was fun to watch, now scram!"

Shout out to God Hunter Argentus and his voice actor, the smuggest loving guy. "This lance, will make me a GOD!"

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Lagon isn't even the worst, I've had more consistent problems with the bosses for lightless arbor and the fire necro dungeon.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

JonathonSpectre posted:

All I can say is it is EXTREMELY frustrating to fight a boss for 5-6 minutes and get hit by something big because shift or whatever is on cooldown and get to start all over.

IMO Rahyeh is an example of a really fun boss. He's got some monster big hits, but every one has a decent tell and the fight is much more about you recognizing them and positioning yourself right. I'll run his timeline multiple times just to get to fight him, it feels like a fun challenge where you have to be pretty on your game. Every time I've ever died to Rahyeh I've said, "Oh, look, I hosed up" and went right back at him.

Also IMO Lagon is an example of a totally unfun boss. There's just too much going on, and it's way too easy to shift/port/whatever away from a one-hit directly into a combo wave/claw/lightning bolt. That second phase of running around trying to stay on the 30% of the screen that is not actively deadly is pretty dreadful, VERY rarely have I died there and thought "Oh I hosed up" instead of "What the gently caress was I supposed to do there?"

Then if you get through all that bullshit he doesn't even die, just says "Ha ha you little fucker that was fun to watch, now scram!"

Shout out to God Hunter Argentus and his voice actor, the smuggest loving guy. "This lance, will make me a GOD!"

I like how diablo 3 handled this where everyone just got a "get out of death free" passive on a long cooldown. Now 1 single mistake won't set you back several minutes, and they don't have to design every encounter around everyone having unlimited movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I love souls games where I spend days grinding my molars into dust trying to beat a tough boss for a cool item.

I love ARPGs where I spend days effortlessly blowing through thousands of baddies to get a cool item with a miniscule drop rate.

Combining the two sounds like an absolute nightmare.

I'm not saying LE is there, but it seems to be where ARPGs are heading. And I don't like it.