Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

smellmycheese posted:

lol no. Those kind of horse racing events are basically a football derby with the cunts dressed up in suits for the day and their girlfriends along. They are awful.

No way :thejoke:

Edit: 183 is the number of days in half a year to the nearest whole number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Lord of the Llamas posted:

No way :thejoke:

Edit: 183 is the number of days in half a year to the nearest whole number.

Here is a very good boy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Miftan posted:

Where have you been for the last decade??

I haven't even beaten A Realm Reborn yet cause I'm levelling every class at the same time :negative:

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

I listened to this today, Ash interviews George the Poet, very insightful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbTdA51-KSA

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rarity posted:

I haven't even beaten A Realm Reborn yet cause I'm levelling every class at the same time :negative:

I have no words. Just.. Progress the main story quest already! The story gets so good! Stop dicking around in Limsa leveling a monk and MAKE PROGRESS!!

(also dm me your ign so we can be friends once Dawntrail comes out and I re-sub :3 )

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Miftan posted:

I have no words. Just.. Progress the main story quest already! The story gets so good! Stop dicking around in Limsa leveling a monk and MAKE PROGRESS!!

(also dm me your ign so we can be friends once Dawntrail comes out and I re-sub :3 )

Also I haven't been subbed for a year :ssh:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
More fun to be dommed anyway.

Eddy-Baby posted:

Serious question: what economic policies are these?

"Starmernomics" is a word I'm surprised the tory party isn't pissing all over the sphere of public discourse

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
economics isn't called the dismal science for no reason

if I was involved in this many crashes in my work, I'd be in jail

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The starmernomicon is the book you read to contact the outer gods of manndelhh'zonn and tonntiblyeh.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
are you waiting for the stars to come right again or just speaking welsh?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bozza posted:

economics isn't called the dismal science for no reason
Nietzsche called poetry 'the gay science' as a counterpoint to that, but we all know that the real gay science is allowing everyone to have as many or few dongs as they want until glinner and lozza attempt to sue you and instead pee their pants through in court.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tesseraction posted:

As I recall it was basically that they use specific staple foods as benchmarks and the supermarkets know that so they kept those specific prices low while raising everything else to compensate.

in that case they're bad economists and i'm disappointed

trying to come up with accurate inflation measures is really important and most developed countries spend quite a lot of time and intellect on it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UKMT Spring 2010-2024 - they're bad economists and i'm disappointed

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Purely from my casual observation of economics and economists over the last decade or so, it seems to me that too many of them want to adjust the way people use money to better fit their model, rather than fix their model to reflect the actual ways people are doing things.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Bear in mind that the government is not obliged to use the best science in their decision making. The whole economic basis for Osborne's austerity drive was a 2010 paper that was well known to be fatally flawed since at least 2013. Yet for some reason the Tories are still keen on austerity in 2024. :iiam:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Goatse James Bond posted:

in that case they're bad economists and i'm disappointed

trying to come up with accurate inflation measures is really important and most developed countries spend quite a lot of time and intellect on it

Yeah, but have you considered that real inflation figures would make really bad optics so it's important for political reasons that we use a version that lets us pretend it's less hosed than it actually is?

I don't think you really appreciate what a basket case Britain has become, it's absolute terribly thought out ideas all the way down. Sure, the odds are that eventually the lies will come out, but I'll probably not be PM anymore so :shrug: It's funny, I look at some of the infrastructure on the Highland mainline railway from Inverness to Perth. Completed 126 years ago, some quite impressive viaducts at Tomatin & Culloden Moor, with some fairly steep gradients as it passes through Slochd & Drumochter passes. It's rugged mountainous terrain. Meanwhile today Britain can't handle a loving trainline from London to Manchester that mostly doesn't even go through urban centres but stops in the suburbs. Future planning is hard & I won't get any pay-off at the next general election so gently caress it, let's just not bother

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

Purely from my casual observation of economics and economists over the last decade or so, it seems to me that too many of them want to adjust the way people use money to better fit their model, rather than fix their model to reflect the actual ways people are doing things.
What's the saying? A microeconomist is wrong about one very specific thing, whereas a macroeconomist is wrong about everything.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pistol_Pete posted:

He talked an awful lot about how economists absolutely love averages, and they create this hypothetical average person in their calculations, who they forget doesn't actually exist in real life. Like, if most people are doing poo poo and a few people are doing fabulously well, on average, everyone's ticking along nicely.

It's like the joke about the physicist who decided that he's worked out farming: "First, assume a perfectly spherical cow..."

It's not like economics doesn't use medians.

The bigger issue is about how it intersects with policy and if e.g. higher worker wages are good or bad since they also harm the profitability of companies and can cause inflation.

It's just politics in the end, depends what you consider important.

e: Sometimes it can be intentionally oblivious to push an agenda though, like with regulated rents causing market failure in New York due to illegal subletting etc., completely missing the point that it depends on enforcement and other policies.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 17, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's amazing that in a world full of dark gods, mind melting chaos, working class fungi with guncars, spaceships full of skeletons that want to make you undead, robotic corpse bathtubs, hive aliens, and a bunch of even weirder poo poo, the one thing that the Mail finds to be terrified of is "and there were some women. not sexy ones, they were just there, working."

There must be something about a 9 foot tall giant woman who is unfalteringly loyal to her lord and able to dismember you with her bare hands in the time it takes for your brain to think "woke" and your mouth starting to verbalise it.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One entire chapter / primarch is named after a famously gay man's poem about how he's secretly gay.

They're also the Chapter that famously loves to wear dresses (robes) and has a deep dark secret that they will kill anyone over. I suspect deep analysis will find the Dark Angels concept highly problematic.

Edit - I wrote all of this 2 pages ago but I'm loathe to just bin it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

There must be something about a 9 foot tall giant woman who is unfalteringly loyal to her lord and able to dismember you with her bare hands in the time it takes for your brain to think "woke" and your mouth starting to verbalise it.

They're also the Chapter that famously loves to wear dresses (robes) and has a deep dark secret that they will kill anyone over. I suspect deep analysis will find the Dark Angels concept highly problematic.

I think they have rejigged the lore so they aren't gay. Or not ashamed to be gay, at least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought space marines did not do emotions other than stoicism and angry.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought that was alt-right influencers until they hit their meat and benzos arc.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

I think they have rejigged the lore so they aren't gay. Or not ashamed to be gay, at least.

They were never gay, it was all wink wink nudge nudge and a whole heaping of edginess. Their dark secret was how half their legion turned traitor.

Which also doesn't make sense as you have Loyalists amongst the Traitor Legions and vice versa in the new lore.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Z the IVth posted:

They were never gay, it was all wink wink nudge nudge and a whole heaping of edginess. Their dark secret was how half their legion turned traitor.

Which also doesn't make sense as you have Loyalists amongst the Traitor Legions and vice versa in the new lore.

One of the original ideas was that "the Fallen all fell to Chaos" was an after the fact justification.

In reality, the Lion and the rest of his Legion turned Traitor, saw Horus had bottled it and then changed back to being Loyalist. The Fallen were all the actual Loyalist Dark Angels who knew the truth and thus had to be hunted down.

But they ditched this idea as being a bit too edgy.

Z the IVth posted:

This is the Chapter where the first company are all Space Native Americans and the second company are all Bikers (before they made two specific All Biker Space Marine Chapters.)
The Dark Angels lack a certain ammount of thematic cohesion is what I'll say.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd love to sit in on the meeting where it was decided that something was 2edgy for space fash scale model pantomime.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look the company that invented the bloodbound bloodsecrator of the blood god has standards.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

One of the original ideas was that "the Fallen all fell to Chaos" was an after the fact justification.

In reality, the Lion and the rest of his Legion turned Traitor, saw Horus had bottled it and then changed back to being Loyalist. The Fallen were all the actual Loyalist Dark Angels who knew the truth and thus had to be hunted down.

But they ditched this idea as being a bit too edgy.

This is the Chapter where the first company are all Space Native Americans and the second company are all Bikers (before they made two specific All Biker Space Marine Chapters.)

It's worse now since they retconned everything in heresy

Now they've ditched the highly dubious Native American trappings (good) but you have the Hexagrammaton.

Deathwing (Terminators)
Ravenwing (Bikers)
Dreadwing (Extra warcrimes)
Firewing (Tacticlol)
Stormwing (Boarding actions)
Ironwing (Vehicles)

Sometimes you can stretch the gimmick too far.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

Look, you people complain about 'a lack of thematic cohesion' and then when GW introduce Ferrus Manus, metal-handed leader of the Iron Hands' Iron Council, suddenly that's no good either?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I always thought the concept of the deathwing (paint your armour white because you're already dead) was pretty cool, mostly because I had (have?) an old copy of a short story about them going to cleanse a planet and it's goth as hell. But if they've disconnected it from the 'white guys from Coventry inventing First Nations stuff' part of the lore then that's cool.

I always thought they wore the religious attire as part of the 'fundies desperately repressing things' angle. I was still playing when they made the change to white cowls and dark green armour! :corsair:

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

grobbo posted:

Look, you people complain about 'a lack of thematic cohesion' and then when GW introduce Ferrus Manus, metal-handed leader of the Iron Hands' Iron Council, suddenly that's no good either?

The Land Raider, so-called not because you can use it to raid lands, but because it was designed by Arkhan Land.

(The emperor's real name is Jimmy Space, etc, etc)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He didn't even design it he just found it in a hole somewhere and decided to name it after himself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Almost like an inversion of the French press (the cafetière patented in France by Jacques-Victor Delforge) vs the French press (the pressure device invented by Charles Stacy French in America) confusion.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I did Airfix modelling

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I did Warhammer Fantasy which seems to attract a lot fewer shrieking dickheads.

Although I've been out of the game since 2000, until recently, so could be wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

if you enjoy vidya then total warhammer is pretty good.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Pretty sure all those complaining about the NatCs being closed down in Brussels didn't raise the mildest whisper when the German police forcefully shut down the Palestine Conference in Berlin last weekend.

Nope, and the Nat Con has been reallowed and given a quiet apology for heavy-handed police activity too. If they gave the slightest gently caress about free speech they should be using this moment to argue for the Palestine Conference people being allowed to gather too.

fuctifino posted:

Have any of them come up with a clear definition of woke yet? Or is it still just a lazy catch-all for everything they dislike?

The word OG came from the US Ferguson riots in 2014, notable because presumably Federal/police assets being provocateurs was happening to an obvious level that hasn't been documented since, "stay woke" meaning 'stay alert/stay aware' became the hashtag.

Now the right-wing are using 'woke' to mean any lefty or progressive cultural action, we've all seen silly headlines like 'Woke activists want to plant trees in local park!' etc. For the LBC level stuff that's where it ends. The higher level stuff GB News has tilted at is a bit more interesting in that they seem to have a coherent concept of wokeness that is functionally alt-right; international elites and finance titans are manipulating the world towards 'globohomo', global homogenisation, and reducing the capability of historically white countries to form an ethnic identity/reducing births in that populace by any means possible. It gets wierd but I sincerely think resisting that is why 'anti-woke' gets so much energy, they are arguing against something they aren't allowed to talk about.

There's also an incredibly based and true critique of "woke" from the left, which is that since the Occupy movement identity politics has been pushed as the politically correct avenue of dissent/action. If we're arguing about minorities being under-represented in X industry then we aren't unifying as the 99% against the 1%.

Tesseraction posted:

I think they were the one who kept doing posts about how English people weren't human in a way that went past "lol yeah gently caress the english" to "is that an Austrian accent?"

The exact opposite, I was the first to call that out. Can't remember exactly why I was threadbanned, think it was just being argumentative/a rude oval office generally and specifically being very 'no a second referendum when we haven't even left the EU is morally bad/will lose the election' when the UKMT consensus was on a second-ref delusion.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The P stands for Persistent

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It stands for probated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Vitamin Piss hurling themself repeatedly at the new Crispy fortifications.

Edit - oh that one was Owl. But the point stands