Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Time for anonymous slander and misunderstanding of diabetes

https://x.com/BillyM_91/status/1780544832189907194

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sataere posted:

I've never understood devaluing future picks. Only time it comes into play is if your job is on the line and if you aren't acquiring capital early you are probably losing your job anyway.
Because results matter and GMs don’t have an unlimited timeframe to put together a team capable of winning games.

If you’ve just been hired or are already a perennial playoff team, then sure.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

a neat cape posted:

If the Vikings really want JJ, then either the Cardinals or the Chargers are gonna get 11, 23, and a 2025 First.

The other team gets MHJ.

Good spot to be in

Brugler's seven round mock draft came out, it has the Vikings trading up with the Cardinals to get JJ, then the Cardinals trading up with the Chargers to get MHJ. Chargers end up with 11 and 35, which they use to get JC Latham and Kris Jenkins.

Not totally sure about all that, partially because I'm not a massive fan of either of those players. Defying the logic in the article I posted and we've been discussing, I think I'd rather have Joe Alt or Nabers/Odunze. But, it's definitely a logical scenario and does fit Harbaugh pretty well.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Because results matter and GMs don’t have an unlimited timeframe to put together a team capable of winning games.

If you’ve just been hired or are already a perennial playoff team, then sure.

Yeah the key phrase there is 'if your job is on the line' but in reality a GM's job is ALWAYS on the line. Except in very specific situations, with GMs who have proven themselves beyond a doubt. Or just been hired, I suppose, like you say.

I've got to say that it doesn't SEEM like trading down a ton has worked recently for the teams that do it. But I could be wrong about that.

Dexo posted:

So the thing about trading back is I think there are enough teams that are in the teens that need some combination of wide receiver quarterback or offensive tackle where I don't think finding a trade back partner is going to be hard especially in this draft.

Trading back should be reasonably easy to do in the first half of the first round, I think it's after that where it gets tricky. It'll just be situational, if a player drops and a team really likes them, or wants to keep them away from a divisional opponent.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Second and third round picks are comically undervalued by GMs

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Second and third round picks are comically undervalued by GMs

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Play posted:

Brugler's seven round mock draft came out, it has the Vikings trading up with the Cardinals to get JJ, then the Cardinals trading up with the Chargers to get MHJ. Chargers end up with 11 and 35, which they use to get JC Latham and Kris Jenkins.

Not totally sure about all that, partially because I'm not a massive fan of either of those players. Defying the logic in the article I posted and we've been discussing, I think I'd rather have Joe Alt or Nabers/Odunze. But, it's definitely a logical scenario and does fit Harbaugh pretty well.

I just don't see a tackle in the first round. We have an all pro LT and Pipkins at RT just signed a new contract and wasn't the problem last year. Both guards struggled, but one was a first round pick two years ago and the other has a whole bunch of talent at RG. We really need a Center more than anything.

We just traded away Keenan and let Mike Williams walk. The WR room right now is Josh Palmer, Quinton Johnston, and Darius Davis. WR has to be the pick at 5.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sataere posted:

Poles has been building by trading down in the middle rounds to cover depth. Even though they have 4 picks this year, they have had a lot of picks over the last three years. It is playing the middle rounds that builds up a roster. And they did this with zero comp picks. Rosters are built through the middle rounds imo

Poles has also traded up to get guys he liked.

Poles strikes me as someone who sticks to his board, and will trade up if he can because he thinks one of the players in a certain tier aren't going to be there, their next pick, but will also trade back if he has like 20 players he's willing to take and would be happy with any of them etc.

Like if he wants a WR, I don't think a trade up is out of the question to make sure he gets one, burning one of the future seconds he has next year. Or more likely I think he burns future capital to try and get into the second round this year. If he can't or doesn't want to trade back and do it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

I just don't see a tackle in the first round. We have an all pro LT and Pipkins at RT just signed a new contract and wasn't the problem last year. Both guards struggled, but one was a first round pick two years ago and the other has a whole bunch of talent at RG. We really need a Center more than anything.

We just traded away Keenan and let Mike Williams walk. The WR room right now is Josh Palmer, Quinton Johnston, and Darius Davis. WR has to be the pick at 5.

WR at five, all-pro center JPJ in the second round :santahurr:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I'm pretty sure the Bucs would take him before he'd make it that far.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
My sicko dream is Johnny Newton falling into the mid-second and the Bears leaping up to grab him

Would also be happy moving up for a sliding Tier 2 WR if they go DL/OL in the first round

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

a neat cape posted:

When AZ trades back and you get Marvin, you better be really happy about it :colbert:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

If we get MHJ/Nabers at 5 and JPJ/Barton at 37 I'd run through the streets banging pots and pans

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The national media seems to REALLY think Jim Harbaugh doesn't care about black people wide receivers and it's a lock that they trade back and/or pick OL. I agree though I dunno how you look at Justin Herbert + this roster and think anything but "OH GOD GET ME ONE OF THOSE TOP 3 RECEIVERS".

In reality the obvious pick at 5 is Blake Corum (not really (but just imagine lol))

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Poles has also traded up to get guys he liked.

Poles strikes me as someone who sticks to his board, and will trade up if he can because he thinks one of the players in a certain tier aren't going to be there, their next pick, but will also trade back if he has like 20 players he's willing to take and would be happy with any of them etc.

Like if he wants a WR, I don't think a trade up is out of the question to make sure he gets one, burning one of the future seconds he has next year. Or more likely I think he burns future capital to try and get into the second round this year. If he can't or doesn't want to trade back and do it.

100%. That is the right way to do it. You maximize value by trading to the bottom of tiers and use that extra draft capital to go get your guys. It prevents you from mortgaging your future while still having the ability to strategically target guys you want.

a neat cape posted:

I don't really get it either. People in these streets acting like Slater ain't a stud at LT. I think the 5th pick is MHJ or trading down for extra captial.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Docjowles posted:

The national media seems to REALLY think Jim Harbaugh doesn't care about black people wide receivers and it's a lock that they trade back and/or pick OL. I agree though I dunno how you look at Justin Herbert + this roster and think anything but "OH GOD GET ME ONE OF THOSE TOP 3 RECEIVERS".

In reality the obvious pick at 5 is Blake Corum (not really (but just imagine lol))

He took the job because of Herbert!

Harbaugh took like 1 OL in the first three rounds all four years in SF!

I feel like I'm screaming into the void

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Play posted:

I like when the consensus is opposed, given how so much of the media shows so little deviation. You can tell they be copying each others' work

It's been really funny to me doing the goon draft and reading scouting reports and being like "why is this guy ranked so low." Like when I was looking at TJ Tampa every big board has him in like the 50s and then every mock draft has him going late first/early second including ahead of other CBs ranked ahead of him.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

If we get MHJ/Nabers at 5 and JPJ/Barton at 37 I'd run through the streets banging pots and pans

I'm really hoping one of JPJ/Barton falls to Tampa because that would fill a big need. Feiler was indeed washed up we found out last year.

a neat cape posted:

He did have an NFL top 5 draft pick talent at QB last season and didn't really use him.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

wandler20 posted:

He did have an NFL top 5 draft pick talent at QB last season and didn't really use him.

Maybe that says more about JJ.

He sure let Andrew Luck throw. 31 times a game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Is Harbaugh actually in charge of the draft? 50/50 with Joe Hortiz? Or all Joe? I wonder how they've got that set up.

I agree that going receiver is the only thing that truly makes sense, to me. But teams often do things that don't make sense to me.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Play posted:

Is Harbaugh actually in charge of the draft? 50/50 with Joe Hortiz? Or all Joe? I wonder how they've got that set up.

I agree that going receiver is the only thing that truly makes sense, to me. But teams often do things that don't make sense to me.

I assume they're collaborating. Harbaugh probably has significant influence considering he recruited a lot of these kids.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

Maybe that says more about JJ.

He sure let Andrew Luck throw. 31 times a game

I'm seeing 26. 3 more than McCarthy.

Ball control offense coming to LA.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

Harbaugh took like 1 OL in the first three rounds all four years in SF!

I feel like I'm screaming into the void

A shocking amount of podcast/Twitter seem to have tales that are directly contradicted by evidence and it feels like we are being gaslit

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Now that I'm done with the trolling, I was looking at McCarthy's stats from last year. He had 4 INTs. 3 were in one game against.....Bowling Green. A game he finished 8 for 13. What the hell? Also lol at his 7/8 for 60 yard performance against Penn State. What weird year he had.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I'm seeing 26. 3 more than McCarthy.

Ball control offense coming to LA.

I was just comparing their last seasons. It supports my argument more

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

Smart man.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Jim Harbaugh wasn't the coach for Andrew Luck's last season, David Shaw was.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Kaep averaged just a shade under 30 pass attempts per game in Harbaugh's last NFL season and that was with a QB who's best skillset was running.

They're absolutely going to be a ball control offense but I imagine Herbie's still taking plenty of shots this season, he'll just likely get hit significantly less frequently bc they won't constantly make him do everything while also giving him a mediocre o-line

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Kaep averaged just a shade under 30 pass attempts per game in Harbaugh's last NFL season and that was with a QB who's best skillset was running.

They're absolutely going to be a ball control offense but I imagine Herbie's still taking plenty of shots this season, he'll just likely get hit significantly less frequently bc they won't constantly make him do everything while also giving him a mediocre o-line

Yeah that's my read too. A lot more under center and play action too.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://x.com/PSchrags/status/1780670665068052818

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wandler20 posted:

JJ might go Top 5 but hes not a top 5 talent, not even close

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

JJ might go Top 5 but hes not a top 5 talent, not even close

Yeah, it was a joke.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
man the week before the draft is the worst

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

man the week before the draft is the worst

Also the best

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

In the middle of June we will be pining for these days when there was something to talk about, no matter how dumb

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Peter Schrager is the #1 source for finding out which steakhouses NFL teams and players ate at. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be a very good draft insider otherwise

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
The most important aspects of a prospect are hand size and what they order at a steakhouse

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

xbilkis posted:

Peter Schrager is the #1 source for finding out which steakhouses NFL teams and players ate at. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be a very good draft insider otherwise

No one is op

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Midnightghoul posted:

The most important aspects of a prospect are hand size and what they order at a steakhouse

i don't like steak so i would plummet in the draft. everything else about me is #1 overall material. the league is letting me down

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

kidcoelacanth posted:

i don't like steak so i would plummet in the draft. everything else about me is #1 overall material. the league is letting me down

I've already knocked you down a grade as a poster for this shameful admission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1780678317042974861

Really hope Washington is able to protect Jayden like LSU could this past year.