Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BrotherJayne posted:

Not gonna lie, any scene of him being a (step)dad had my heart melting it bit

How fuckin' BIG is the oval office though? He's gotta be like 6'6 or some poo poo

Good actor, who gave a good performance, but I still can't shake the feeling they might've hired him just because they thought it was funny he was so much taller than Lucy's brother.

If so, I fully support their choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bright Bart posted:

What makes you think that?

He has a Woody Harrelson thing going on and AI think people might be reading into that that he's a sunna bitch with a heart of gold when really he's just a sunna bitch.

Harold apologists doing overtime to excuse a man who did the things we see him do.

The pre-fallout Harold might have been a good man, however.

Oh I don't think he has a heart of gold or anything, just that he wouldn't bother if he didn't have to.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

CelticPredator posted:

Who the gently caress is Harold

one of the cool cast of characters in the earlier game who eventually becomes a tree.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Good actor, who gave a good performance, but I still can't shake the feeling they might've hired him just because they thought it was funny he was so much taller than Lucy's brother.

If so, I fully support their choices.

Norm took Small Frame, Chet’s got Bruiser. It’s a match made in heaven, really.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah that branch just kept on growing. Did take a few decades, so yeah if you find a branch growing out of you, seems you still have quite a while till you need to see a doctor/arborist.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

moths posted:

That's not incompatible with the show, which suggests "China's" strike on LA was a Vault-Tec inside job.

It's not like anybody was around to do an investigation; This might be a case of the recorded lore being wrong.

I hope it sticks more to Vault-Tec and the Boys were sabotaging peace negotiations and pushing for escalation rather than Vault-Tec somehow has nuclear missiles and literally started it. The latter is IMO a much less satisfying story.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope it sticks more to Vault-Tec and the Boys were sabotaging peace negotiations and pushing for escalation rather than Vault-Tec somehow has nuclear missiles and literally started it. The latter is IMO a much less satisfying story.

But that's exactly what they did, bomb even blows up in exact same location since they retcon Shady Sands to be LA.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Back Hack posted:

But that's exactly what they did, bomb even blows up in exact same location since they retcon Shady Sands to be LA.

No, the show doesn't say that. They just discuss it as a possibility. The only nuclear weapon explicitly used by a Vault-Tec dude is the one Hank uses at Shady Sands, long after the Great War. Like the fate of the NCR, it's not exactly clear what happened yet. It's not like Bethesda is against retcons but this would be a huuuuuge one. There are many mentions in the games of detecting missiles and fleets of bombers from China which triggered the US to fire back. And there's not a nuclear taboo thing, there had already been a nuclear war in the Middle East a couple decades before the Great War.

This did remind me that the godawful Fallout movie proposal from ages ago had Vault-Tec fire first.

E: Anyway I'm choosing to go this way until/unless they are explicit about Vault Bush doing 10/23 because I don't like it. If you do like it that is fine with me. I think I am right to say the show is not clear on the answer, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's intentional and "did they really do it?" is supposed to stay ambiguous.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 17, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BrotherJayne posted:

he'd burnt through all his VATS AP loving up everyone else in the town

That post that was like "jumping up on a ledge and firing wildly at the enemy is exactly what you do when you're out of AP" was too real

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

No, the show doesn't say that. They just discuss it as a possibility. The only nuclear weapon explicitly used by a Vault-Tec dude is the one Hank uses at Shady Sands, long after the Great War. Like the fate of the NCR, it's not exactly clear what happened yet. It's not like Bethesda is against retcons but this would be a huuuuuge one. There are many mentions in the games of detecting missiles and fleets of bombers from China which triggered the US to fire back. And there's not a nuclear taboo thing, there had already been a nuclear war in the Middle East a couple decades before the Great War.

This did remind me that the godawful Fallout movie proposal from ages ago had Vault-Tec fire first.

E: Anyway I'm choosing to go this way until/unless they are explicit about Vault Bush doing 10/23 because I don't like it. If you do like it that is fine with me. I think I am right to say the show is not clear on the answer, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's intentional and "did they really do it?" is supposed to stay ambiguous.

Episode 8: I think the show is pretty thematically explicit that the status of the nation states that were antagonistic in the war doesn't matter, the responsibility has been usurped by Vault-Tec. It's more a semantic question that doesn't matter at all to the shows eyes, The collapse of a weakening democratic society that was really just for show and its replacement by a corporate oligarchy interested only in the survival of its programs is what caused the final nuclear exchange that ended the world.

Honestly as a retcon its not something I really care about either, and I don't think the show does. It's not like the games have grappled with the question as a matter of theme or tone before, that's just background detail.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"The details are trivial and pointless. The reasons, as always, purely human ones."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, like a cool guy, I watched a Fallout lore video about the pre nuclear war history, and they made it sound like the entire country was rife with rioting and looting, not to mention occupied Canada, and it sounded like the AK war went right up to, or close to, when the bombs dropped. But things seemed pretty chill in Southern Cal?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zoux posted:

So, like a cool guy, I watched a Fallout lore video about the pre nuclear war history, and they made it sound like the entire country was rife with rioting and looting, not to mention occupied Canada, and it sounded like the AK war went right up to, or close to, when the bombs dropped. But things seemed pretty chill in Southern Cal?

If you're in the rich areas, sure. Same as Boston, lots of idealized upscale nameighborhoods surrounded by immense poverty. Part of the reason there's so much power armor around is because the army and national guard were expecting open rebellion at some point.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

zoux posted:

To be fair, the few glimpses of the setting we get are of a wealthy and isolated part of that world, and characters still mention those issues in dialog.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

If you're in the rich areas, sure. Same as Boston, lots of idealized upscale nameighborhoods surrounded by immense poverty. Part of the reason there's so much power armor around is because the army and national guard were expecting open rebellion at some point.

The Desert Ranger armor in New Vegas is effectively riot gear as well. You even find uparmored variants of it explicitly stating it as such. Combat armor could be bought for personal use.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Okay I get that Maximus is supposed to be kinda dumb with poo poo social skills... but they definitely could have shaved a few seconds off of all the instances of his sitting there tongue-tied whenever he needs to use his words. The actor sells it and all but it's frustrating to watch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One thing the games always made clear is that outside of a handful of people, the war took everyone by surprised, and how destructive it was. The Enclave knew something was going to happen, and soon, but not exactly when. So they set up their bases and were ready to go as soon as the balloon went up. Why the President ended up on the oil rig, the pentagon at Raven Rock, the Secretaries not with the president were at the golf course in Fo76 and so on. Thing is, they assumed they'd all be in communication with each other, coordinate their reclamation of the US and fully defeat the Reds. But oops, the war was so destructive that the communications were nearly impossible, so each devolved into what they are when encountered in game. Even the pre war companies that weren't directly part of the Enclave had some kind of post war thinking, but again, none of it worked out because the war and the aftermath were so much more than what they were expecting.

Even if Vault Tech did do something to hasten it, I don't think they explicitly dropped any bombs, there would be no need. You just need to get the US or China to act first, then profit. One thing is LA was one of the most nuked areas of the US, more than DC or NYC. Probably due to it being the biggest metroplex in the country, and it being the closest major city to china.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

and characters still mention those issues in dialog.

Oh I must have missed those.

Guildencrantz posted:

Okay I get that Maximus is supposed to be kinda dumb with poo poo social skills... but they definitely could have shaved a few seconds off of all the instances of his sitting there tongue-tied whenever he needs to use his words. The actor sells it and all but it's frustrating to watch.

I liked Maximus' whole deal myself. You can read the character like a book and it's a testament to the actor's skill. I also loved the bridge scene, and his performance there is a big part of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ep6-8

https://twitter.com/TKsMantis/status/1780633238651978095?t=G3Li8Mqi2yLVa7brkzloSA&s=19

New Todd Howard interview confirms Shady Sands was nuked after New Vegas, not before.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BrotherJayne posted:

Not gonna lie, any scene of him being a (step)dad had my heart melting it bit

How fuckin' BIG is the oval office though? He's gotta be like 6'6 or some poo poo

The brother is 4'11" in real life - anyone will look like a giant next to him.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

zoux posted:

Oh I must have missed those.

I liked Maximus' whole deal myself. You can read the character like a book and it's a testament to the actor's skill. I also loved the bridge scene, and his performance there is a big part of it.

Fallout 76 goes into this explicitly, but Fallout 4 is the first glimpse of pre-war america we get. Its idealized suburbia but when the game starts you realise half the people there were doing illegal things to get on by.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Vault Tec Nixoned the war with China to benefit themselves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I bought and installed FNV (and spent about 3 hours doing all the "necessary mods" >: | ) and idk, it may just be too old for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Vegas has a pretty slow opening, true.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Vault Tec Nixoned the war with China to benefit themselves.

Who got the pandas?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

New Vegas has a pretty slow opening, true.

Can't even sprint ffs! I'm thinking about trying FO4, but with that big update coming out in a couple of weeks, I should probably wait for that. How's FO3 play on modern systems?

e: oh I didn't realize that FO3 is even older than NV, guess I'll wait until next week.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 17, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the recommended way to play FO3 is through that TTW mod that takes a few hours to set up that plays FO3 in the FNV game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zoux posted:

Can't even sprint ffs! I'm thinking about trying FO4, but with that big update coming out in a couple of weeks, I should probably wait for that. How's FO3 play on modern systems?

e: oh I didn't realize that FO3 is even older than NV, guess I'll wait until next week.

Recommend the JAM (Just Assorted Mods) collection which includes things like a functional sprint button.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FO4 is running like poo poo for me on a 1070 and i5 6500 - more than enough for that game. I wonder if it's the ultrawide mod loving it up - maybe ill stick with bars.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Recommend the JAM (Just Assorted Mods) collection which includes things like a functional sprint button.

Playing controller unfortunately and there's no room (and the menu is on the B button and you have to scroll around to get to the map every time, did they even know how to make games in 2010)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/kyle_maclachlan/status/1780670792646148534

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has Kyle MacLachlan played a bad guy before - no Paul Atreides doesn't count

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zoux posted:

The John Goodman Flinstones movie.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Twin Peaks: The Return

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

He was the bad husband to Bree in Desperate Housewives

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

TontoCorazon posted:

While I think your in the right spot with this, I think it's also the fact that he probably holds a massive grudge with anything to do with Vault Tec

oh yeah, completely correct.

Schubalts posted:

He tried to pressure her to drink muddy puddle water, but when she finally drinks, it's from the same rusted, radioactive bucket he just filled his canteen from.

yeah but he's doing this to rub her nose in it (literally), he knows he can drink it/how dirty HE is.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 17, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like New Vegas starts quickly, you got shot and wake up and make your character and then you're free to explore and maybe try to follow the guy who shot you?

Gameplay I found all Fallouts feel like they were made a decade before they were made.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

zoux posted:

there are mods that add that sort of thing and you can (should) tweak the game to run as you like it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah if you think NV has a slow start both 3 and 4 have longer unskippable intro sequences. NV allows you to skip its tutorial even though you *should* do it anyway since it's practically free XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bright Bart posted:

What makes you think that?

He has a Woody Harrelson thing going on and AI think people might be reading into that that he's a sunna bitch with a heart of gold when really he's just a sunna bitch.

Harold apologists doing overtime to excuse a man who did the things we see him do.

The pre-fallout Harold might have been a good man, however.

Because he saved a dog, even if it was after he stabbed said dog. Screen writing 101. Shows there's good in him.