Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

that person is saying hosed up things but maybe don't post poo poo that's obviously come from some transphobic alt right shithole

lol

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lol boat fucker still thinks the pier will make a difference

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Slate has not been sending their best for a long time. Hell, this is from just two months ago...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2024/02/biden-age-controversy-vs-trump.html

"it doesn't matter who you vote for, so vote for our guy"

not sure I follow the police work there

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

tristeham posted:

lol boat fucker still thinks the pier will make a difference

hes extremely stupid yes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Jon Carbuncle posted:

y’all put way more thought into the live version of beauty and the beast than the people made it

also if we are heaping scorn onto that movie belle’s dress is absolutely terrible

we cant use corsets because everyone knows corsets are sexist no i dont think we need to talk to the wardrobe department about this its not like costuming is a real job

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol i might be mis-remembering but boat dipshit said he had a list of cspam chuds

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

this didnt take long

The United States will reimpose sanctions on Venezuela’s oil and gas sector in response to the Maduro government’s failure to allow “an inclusive and competitive election” to take place.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/17/politics/us-reimpose-oil-sanctions-venezuela/index.html

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

turnout has been way down since 2023 so who knows

reminder that the ongoing realignment makes it so that high turnout might actually benefit the republicans more because the new democratic base of old white people are the main demographic that votes reliably without gotv motivation

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Rubellavator posted:

that person is saying hosed up things but maybe don't post poo poo that's obviously come from some transphobic alt right shithole

Matt Bruenig is transphobic?

or did I get got on a syq?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HallelujahLee posted:

The United States will reimpose sanctions on Venezuela’s oil and gas sector in response to the Maduro government’s failure to allow “an inclusive and competitive election” to take place.

:ironicat:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the maduro government has failed to respect bodies and spaces

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

ACLU continues their anti-worker fight as yet another Unfair Labor Practice charge gets filed after ACLU management illegally attempted to suppress worker speech (again):

https://www.nlrbedge.com/p/regional-director-finds-merit-in

wait you're telling me that dei and critical race theory are readily weaponized against workers by bosses

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

wait you're telling me that dei and critical race theory are readily weaponized against workers by bosses

workers are chuds idiot

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fucks me up that so many real organizers under the blm umbrella just got straight up loving assassinated by the state and then we're supposed to keep a straight face when corporate hr co-opts their language

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i don't know why i thought there would be some limit to acceptability after 2020 and peoples refusal to hold a line in the sand at rape but christ at straight up saying "im ok with genocide because uts half a world a way and also im scared of trump"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Biden winning reelection will be much more of a mark against Americans, imo, than Trump being reelected at this point. Trump's not the one with genocide blood on his hands.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Biden winning reelection will be much more of a mark against Americans, imo, than Trump being reelected at this point. Trump's not the one with genocide blood on his hands.

lol did we just forget about the saudi genocide against yemen or what

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

obama trump and genocide joe get credit for that one

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

obama trump and genocide joe get credit for that one

thank you blessed bipartisanship, united we stand :911:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

thank you blessed bipartisanship, united we stand :911:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

we cant use corsets because everyone knows corsets are sexist no i dont think we need to talk to the wardrobe department about this its not like costuming is a real job

This is what a lack of historical understanding does to a mf'er.

Signifier and Signified are so confused that people think corsets, the institution of the family, god knows what else, only existed to be oppressive, they had no actual purpose besides that. Of course, it also assumes they were entirely oppressive. Given that, each of these institutions, traditions, whatever, must have been an external imposition that no individual would make use of otherwise.

The corset as a historical garment is forgotten, the corset, as represented in 1970's feminism (when it hadn't been an article of women's clothing for 70 years, and in it's restrictive form, nearly double that) takes its place. You could apply the same thing to the bra. Was bra burning - which is remembered far more than it ever actually happened, and in literal terms when it was a symbolic act (the women continued to wear bras in most cases iirc) - a rejection of the article of clothing? No, obviously not, but when you don't engage with and differentiate the signifier and signified, you would think that bras are essentially shackles.

This comes up in film costuming a lot because people barely understand their own clothing, either in practical terms, cultural and historical terms, and certainly symbol terms. So if they don't understand why the suit jacket is part of office wear, through the process of tradition making Hobsbawm describes, and that it is culturally coded and signifies belief and belonging, they can only understand it as an imposition on an individual, who must therefore express his freedom by swearing not to become "a suit".

I don't want to jump on Gen X for this, but it's something you see a lot with that generation, a confusion between aesthetic and the actual forces of oppression. I'm sure it's clearer to Zoomers, since you can wear whatever you like to the office, you're still making pennies on the dollar, you're still alienated from your labour even if you can "express yourself" in clothing.

So, yeah, take a Baby Boomer director, and set the film some time vaguely in 18th century France, he is only going to understand clothing in those anachronistic, superficial, terms.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

mcmagic posted:

I don't remember if I cared all that much about if the 2020 debates happened but I know they were completely useless wastes of time for everyone involved. You think i give a poo poo enough about winning some dumb tit for tat flamewar with you to spend time going through 4 year old posts? lol

You have a rooting interest in the debate (for Trump) so you want to see your favorite guy own Biden.

We already know neither of them are up to the job.

I'm stunned that a liberal can't remember their opinions on something from 4 years ago.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...is the talking tea set in the live action movie or what

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Was the burst eye blood vessel from 2020

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

docbeard posted:

...is the talking tea set in the live action movie or what

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Was the burst eye blood vessel from 2020

one of the primary debates iirc

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Oldest Man posted:

lol did we just forget about the saudi genocide against yemen or what

I had forgotten, but you know what they say: APAB.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
lmbo remembering Biden's eye growing more bloody as he spoke. Dying before my sight

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The dems!

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein...ingawful.com%2F

Their supporters

https://twitter.com/RadCentrism/sta...ingawful.com%2F

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

:aochloe:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

wasnt that also the debate where a sniper shot Julian Castro live on stage for pointing out that Biden was senile and forgot a question

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

reminder about this lady

quote:

A member of the Council on Foreign Relations, Maher worked for UNICEF, the National Democratic Institute, the World Bank and Access Now before joining the Wikimedia Foundation. She subsequently joined the Atlantic Council and the US Department of State's Foreign Affairs Policy Board.

can't we all just come together and agree that china bad?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

This loving pollyanna, "best we can know" thing is something I've picked up on when dragooned into policy conferences, and it seems to be to be an outgrowth of Rawl's "veil of ignorance", am I on the right track?

Whenever a liberal I disagree with can't pull rank on me, or make claims to rationality, fait accompli, or whatever bullshit is just an expression of hegemony, they defend their position with "who can say?". That's particularly loving galling when you're talking about government policy, and you're supposed to know, which means you're supposed to investigate cause and effect, rather than just saying "You know, some people thing this is good. Some people think this is bad. Both are valid. Namaste."

That loving smug superiority by pretending to be above having a position, which means just supporting status quo, is like every upper middle class Canadians' favourite trick to use when arguing with their kids. "These people you think you're in a competition for resources for? That you want to contest political control over society with? Have you ever considered that they believe they're doing the right thing too. You just have to agree to disagree."

Christ.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Apr 17, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Looking forward to this old gently caress losing in November.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol the lady upset about this wrote this piece come ON grow UP

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is dahlia lithwick the slate writer that ended up going full on terf mode or was that another slate writer

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

But I also think that she shouldn’t have been in that position in the first place, where perhaps the entire fate of all democracy and civil rights rested on her retirement timing.

it's so unfair to [checks notes] a supreme court justice that they were responsible for [paper shuffling, reading] protecting democracy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

literally a person with the job title "justice of the supreme court" like she's a 7 mana blue/white creature with vigilance and some kind of ridiculous spell interaction and they are whining about how unfair it was that she was expected to show good judgment and had a significant responsibility beyond her own personal high score, i loving hate these people

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

If McMagic and his like-minded liberal friends like David Frum thought there was even the slightest chance Biden could repeat his 2012 debate performance against Paul Ryan, single-handedly turning his opponent into a laughingstock and ending a man’s career dreams, they would be demanding debates. Clamoring for them. Debates would be the single most important and decisive events of the election. Just like they were in 2016.

But they know that Biden is a dementia patient that can’t speak 10 minutes, much less 90 minutes, extemporaneously without looking like a doddering old man with no idea where he is. So, they’re now unimportant rituals we are better off without. That’s it. That’s the extent of the liberal logic here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol the lady upset about this wrote this piece come ON grow UP

lol