Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The haptic feedback nonsense is a cute gimmick most games aren't going to use well because it's ultimately pointless and adds little except for the actual reason it exists, an excuse to raise the price of a controller and give it yet another fiddly point of failure that will inevitably gently caress up and break fairly quickly.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It made playing Death Stranding an even more GOATed experience.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It made playing Death Stranding an even more GOATed experience.

This

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
every single time rebirth decides the next 30 minutes need to really immerse me in the experience of cloud turning a rusty bridge crank it makes me laugh so haptic triggers are good

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
also this is my only experience with haptic triggers

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Violen posted:

also this is my only experience with haptic triggers

so many people that never played astrobot even though it's great and came with the fuckin system

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually like the tech demo games Sony makes like Tearaway and much like how that game utilized the vita's back touchpad it's always like, "nobody else is going to use this poo poo because it's dumb" lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my ps5 didn't come with any games you mustve gotten a different one

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
lol nintendoland being the only game to use the 100 wii u features nobody remembers exist ftw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think my favorite is the camera in the switch joycon which I think a single digit number of games use, half of which are Nintendo Labo

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Violen posted:

lol nintendoland being the only game to use the 100 wii u features nobody remembers exist ftw

Tokyo Mirage Sessions devoted the screen to your cell phone that gets mostly unimportant messages through the game and the dungeon map. The port just makes it a pause menu and it’s the same experience.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 17, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They should make a patch to make spider man 2 less neolib though.

I think Spider-man 2 is neolib to an extent that is actually kind of entertaining/endearing.

The portrayal of Miles' circumstances always felt very confused to me, because Miles is supposed to be both 1. connected with normal New Yorkers and the NYC black community, but 2. is the son of a successful politician and cop who attends an elite high school.

Granted, the same also applies to Peter to some extent. Aunt May has a really big house in Queens, and Peter also went to a pretty fancy high school where he was best friends with the son of Normal Osbourne.

It's this thing I've seen a lot of media do where they want to make their characters "normal people" while also realizing that actually being "normal people" kinda sucks rear end, so they actually have to give them the lives of someone who is at least upper-middle class. So you end up with Peter being a genius programmer/engineer who also can't afford rent. Or Miles worrying about getting into a good college despite also being a hyper-genius who attends an elite school and has a famous mother.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Normal Osbourne.

the jokers deadliest foe

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really liked how Returnal used the haptic triggers to give them two different functions. Definitely only something seen in a game designed specifically for the ps5 tho.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh you can turn it off so it's like, whatever, the biggest problem is that the system software is incredibly bad. it's like, Samsung levels of bad

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it might actually be worse than the ps3s which is some kind of miracle

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
its insane to me that the past few generations of consoles have like, introduced and then completely dropped their own set of useful features or organization or quality of life improvements

just keep that poo poo in! just keep it in!!!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i think its like ui where the people in charge just randomly shuffle things around and promote/drop various features to look busy for their bosses

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite underused feature is the analog face buttons on the xbox controller. no, not the playstation 2 controller. the xbox controller. everyone forgets the xbox had them, because every notable game that used that sort of feature was on the goddamn ps2 lol. you will only realize the xbox has these buttons if you try playing... the minigames in dead or alive xtreme beach volleyball. i've heard of like, one, maybe two? other games that use them meaning this is a feature like. three development teams were aware of. and none of them were first party like you'd expect for that kind of thing

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-turn-off-ps5-adaptive-triggers-and-haptic-feedback

I did this years ago; didn't even know FF7R used this feature at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Violen posted:

it might actually be worse than the ps3s which is some kind of miracle

i thought it was funny that Xbox listed smart delivery aka "it downloads the version of the game for the console you own" as some kind of incredible feature, then found out how the ps5 handles "multi platform" releases

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Colonel posted:

my favorite underused feature is the analog face buttons on the xbox controller. no, not the playstation 2 controller. the xbox controller. everyone forgets the xbox had them, because every notable game that used that sort of feature was on the goddamn ps2 lol. you will only realize the xbox has these buttons if you try playing... the minigames in dead or alive xtreme beach volleyball. i've heard of like, one, maybe two? other games that use them meaning this is a feature like. three development teams were aware of. and none of them were first party like you'd expect for that kind of thing

I only knew about the PS2 buttons due to MGS games, had no idea that the Xbox buttons were analog til now despite playing most games that are worthwhile on the system. Guess I've never played DOA volleyball tho.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Violen posted:

its insane to me that the past few generations of consoles have like, introduced and then completely dropped their own set of useful features or organization or quality of life improvements

just keep that poo poo in! just keep it in!!!

i dont mind the switch even if it's barebones and has a bad store, and the Xbox is fine other than it being way too ad-heavy but the ps5 one is just perplexing.

i actually liked the ps3 UI even if it was definitely something that's more like, suited to the idea that all your media is on the console and not streamed or whatever

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

switch ui is snappy but i miss 3ds themes...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
themes ftw.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I will never give up my Dreamcast 3DS system theme.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

tropical slowpoke theme ftw

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 30 days!)

i wish I spent more time in 3DS gaming era, I thought it was a good gimmick.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

if u put cfw on ur 3ds u unlock custom themes and it owns real hard, rn im rockin a persona 2 ep theme with the bgm from a diff p2 theme :cheers:

when will the switch add themes....

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The switch has themes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The switch has themes.

Is this a joke or did they actually add more than the stock dark mode/light mode options?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Srice posted:

I really liked how Returnal used the haptic triggers to give them two different functions. Definitely only something seen in a game designed specifically for the ps5 tho.

Far Cry 6 used it for leaning. Soft pull you’d just peak out from cover, whilst a full pull would expose you enough to fire. Iirc it’s still works that way with normal triggers, but without the hard change in resistance it’s hard to judge the threshold. I thought it was well implemented and useful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't realize how much of their old catalog NISA had been slowly re-releasing, including previously Japan only titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcx63NiTrwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52azlip2nWw

e:also thanks to their youtube channel i just learnt there's an RPG Maker for consoles

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 18, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
those are, the only back catalog for nis to rerelease as far as what anyone who likes their current games might have interest in. do not count on seeing a ps5 release of cooking fighter hao

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You know you've been gathering too many herbs in a game when you come across dandelion IRL and go "hmm I need that for some potions later".

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vargatron posted:

You know you've been gathering too many herbs in a game when you come across dandelion IRL and go "hmm I need that for some potions later".

nothing's gonna beat when mgs5 came out and people started staring intently at shipping containers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For me my MGSV moment was catching myself wanting to switch to night vision when I saw a raccoon on the veranda at night

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remembered fruit picking, monster raising and crafting in Legend of Mana but had completely forgotten about the whole create a Golem system lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Never heard of this, but looks intriguing. Anyone play Crystar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

never heard of it let's see the steam page

ah, I see.

that's a good dog