Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
being able to build new areas and assets would be a killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Excited for the new patch. I think I might just wait until then before I continue my Honour run (or maybe just restart it)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have an evil Shadowheart origin run going in Act 3 right now, I’ll hold off and see if they add anything specific to her bad gurl ending.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zodium posted:

before approaching minthara, do everything in the goblin camp, including poisoning the tub and assassinating everyone, except in minthara and droz's rooms, for a hefty chunk of experience and gold. do talk to droz before that too obviously. then talk to minthara, have her spare sazza, go talk to sazza in the center room, talk to minthara, wait for her to leave, kill droz, go to the grove, long rest, find doni and the other small pre raid stuff, then walk up on the wall and trigger the raid.

I take it from this that basically the ONLY thing that needs to happen for the Raid to occur is for Minthara to depart? As long as she leaves, I can then go on and murder the entire rest of the goblin camp with no issues? I figure killing Gut has no real consequences, so I can deal with her, do the rest of the stuff, send Minthara on her way, then kill Dror Ragzlin, and still get everything I want. Sounds good! Thanks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

being able to build new areas and assets would be a killer

I can't wait for the inevitable BG1 remake in BG3 engine project that'll be in development hell forever.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable BG1 remake in BG3 engine project that'll be in development hell forever.

give me neverwinter nights 2 remake with better companion quests.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I take it from this that basically the ONLY thing that needs to happen for the Raid to occur is for Minthara to depart? As long as she leaves, I can then go on and murder the entire rest of the goblin camp with no issues? I figure killing Gut has no real consequences, so I can deal with her, do the rest of the stuff, send Minthara on her way, then kill Dror Ragzlin, and still get everything I want. Sounds good! Thanks.

You can also run around murdering the goblin camp after you stop her attack. It seems totally unconnected, honestly.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

BlazetheInferno posted:

can and should. it's way more experience and gold than you'd think, all those little fuckers really add up.

edit: also a really convenient way to get 35kg corpses for raise dead. shove a couple dozen in a barrel and bring them as needed, you can put them in backpacks a few at a time and send to camp.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 18, 2024

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
'What, another shipment of goblin corpses? Sigh, I guess Fate spins along as she should...'

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Mod support that allows for actual, from-scratch, new community content? This is gonna be Skyrim all over again and I'm vibrating about it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
ugh this might be what finally prompts me to have a gaming pc again after a decade

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
don't worry at some point wotc are gonna say they own the mods

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SlimGoodbody posted:

Mod support that allows for actual, from-scratch, new community content? This is gonna be Skyrim all over again and I'm vibrating about it.

I doubt they'll support EVERY mod. It'll be the cosmetic ones only for the most part, in my opinion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Finally we'll see the Anatomically Correct Pegging mod us gamers have all been waiting for.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Medullah posted:

I doubt they'll support EVERY mod. It'll be the cosmetic ones only for the most part, in my opinion.

There are already mods adding new classes and items and stuff.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Clarste posted:

The Artificer mod is fantastic

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just imagine what they could do with the ability to add more visual effects.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

exquisite tea posted:

Finally we'll see the Anatomically Correct Pegging mod us gamers have all been waiting for.

If the character model is larger size ala dragonborn, half-orc, or the bigger variant of a race and the receiver is a small sized race there should be some damage.

Oh and a mod where wildshape benefits from more than four magic items would be nice as well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There is literally a wildshape itemization mod that you can download right now. Like, getting more mod tools is cool, but there is already a large modding scene for this game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Clarste posted:

Just imagine what they could do with the ability to add more visual effects.

There are already mods that do this.

There are also a lot of mods that add giant cocks to every race as well, just to answer the next question.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

grack posted:

There are already mods that do this.

I've seen mods that reuse existing effects in various ways to create new effects, but not ones that add completely new spell animations, for example.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

If the character model is larger size ala dragonborn, half-orc, or the bigger variant of a race and the receiver is a small sized race there should be some damage.

Oh and a mod where wildshape benefits from more than four magic items would be nice as well.

Lmao this mfer never been pegged

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Clarste posted:

Well yeah but I don't imagine those will be in the "supported" mods. Like, Fallout 4 has a billion mods out there but very few are in the mods menu on my PS5.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The modding tools makes me so excited. Forever game indeed. But do we have any idea of how sophisticated they will be? Could people make entirely new campaigns?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Well yeah but I don't imagine those will be in the "supported" mods. Like, Fallout 4 has a billion mods out there but very few are in the mods menu on my PS5.

I could be (probably am) misremembering but I'm pretty sure that has everything to do with Sony not allowing custom content on its end, the selection on Xbox and PC bethesda.net is enormous.

So yeah it might be platform specific, to be fair.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Node posted:

The modding tools makes me so excited. Forever game indeed. But do we have any idea of how sophisticated they will be? Could people make entirely new campaigns?

Pleeeease! That would be so amazing.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Also, regarding skin tone for your Tav (looks good btw!), if you access the magic mirror you should be able to go to skin tone and there will be a button that opens up every possible skin tone you can have rather than just the ones that are default for your race. I think there's a few grays in there?

I was looking for something really really light in honor of the porcelain skinned, black-scaled Xaela I played in Heavensward, but there's nothing quite that pale. That said, the Orcish Grey 1 and Lichen 1 colors I found hidden behind the check box are very close, thank you!

Now if only there was a way to get the stupid character portrait to not have a crappy pose. It looks a bit too...inimical.

SlimGoodbody posted:

You already know Spirit Guardians is very good, and Spiritual Weapon is useful just for getting more hit points out in the field to soak attacks (it's entirely middling at actually damaging anything other than the paltriest of mooks), but Bless is an easily slept on spell. Once you start putting that out on your crew, you'll wonder how you lived without it, especially if you have someone using one of the -5 to hit/+10 to damage feats. There is a lot of gear that synergizes very well for a support Shadowheart who also dips into radiant damage.

Respeccing Shadowheart to Tempest Cleric seems kind of tempting, especially with the, like, four different items I've found that generate lightning charges. Of course, Life Cleric looks handy too, or maybe I should just change up her default stat spread...I'm bad at being decisive and there's so many options that look fun and :psyduck:.

Either way, Zehra (my Tav) got the fake paladin's greatsword, to go with my usual axe and shield, or the lightning jumping death hammer I got from the burning inn. :black101: They're all quite satisfying even without the extra blast from a smite, or in Lae'zel or Karlach's hands. And for all of my worrying about ~optimization~ and ~character builds~ and ~oh no which companions should I pick~, I've been beating stuff up effectively enough that it's not really a big deal. Maybe I can even increase the difficulty from "balanced but you gave your party extra health like a coward" to "just regular balanced."

also, since I'm here and like to hit F12, I'm just going to turn this into my playthrough liveblog or something

I greatly appreciate Lae'zel's "oh god not again" eye roll in the background, but more importantly, is that a Best Character I see?

the A+ voice acting and good facial/character animations make Tav and Company way, way more engaging than i'd expected, it's good!

and last but not least, i can never resist the call of a 2008-era meme

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 19, 2024

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The voice acting and character writing for this game is loving unreal. It's got to be some of the best I've ever experienced. They're all such complete people.

Oh, another paladin tip if you haven't done this already: go to the menu that lists your party's reactions (I'm on PS5 and iirc it's a tab or two to the right of the main inventory screen?). You can select which character abilities happen automatically and which will call for confirmation in combat. You want all of your paladin divine smite stuff to be set to "ask for confirmation." Reason being, you can pick a thunder or searing smite or something, or just use a regular attack, and if that attack lands, it will ask you if you want to add a divine smite on top. You DEFINITELY want to be able to add divine smites to crits. By having smite set to "confirm," you have a lot more control over when and how you splat the baddies.

You can also go to Astarion and make sure all his sneak attack stuff happens automatically whenever the situation for one applies, rather than only when you select sneak attack. This allows you to use the magic consumable arrows in a sneak attack instead of only using generic ones. That may only be a console problem, idk.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I was looking for something really really light in honor of the porcelain skinned, black-scaled Xaela I played in Heavensward, but there's nothing quite that pale. That said, the Orcish Grey 1 and Lichen 1 colors I found hidden behind the check box are very close, thank you!

Now if only there was a way to get the stupid character portrait to not have a crappy pose. It looks a bit too...inimical.

Respeccing Shadowheart to Tempest Cleric seems kind of tempting, especially with the, like, four different items I've found that generate lightning charges. Of course, Life Cleric looks handy too, or maybe I should just change up her default stat spread...I'm bad at being decisive and there's so many options that look fun and :psyduck:.

drat, that's way better than mine. i just hit the random button until i roll a vibe that goes with the story i want to tell, like my honor mode serial killer durge:

anyway don't go life cleric unless you're on honor mode, it's a maximum survivability build you don't need if you can just reload. light or tempest for sure.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been keeping an eye on this game for a long time but I'm concerned about two things:

1. Are traditional magic user classes worthless (as they are in most D&D type games) because they get to cast one spell and then have to camp? I don't want to have to load every inventory slot with camping supplies and rest after every single battle just so my wizard can do more than cast Magic Missile once and then hit people with their staff.

2. Are you going to miss out on loads of content if you don't heavily research the game and the lore? Things like "oh you killed that ogre that tried to eat your party? Sorry, you can't reach max level for any of your characters!" or "when you finished that conversation you were supposed to tap three times on the brick wall, type a command into an invisible text box and then walk backward off the left side of the screen."

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
1. No

2. No

All the classes are good, some are just more optimal than others. Long resting is barely an inconvenience. Outside of combat, the game will let you fail forward.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been keeping an eye on this game for a long time but I'm concerned about two things:

1. Are traditional magic user classes worthless (as they are in most D&D type games) because they get to cast one spell and then have to camp? I don't want to have to load every inventory slot with camping supplies and rest after every single battle just so my wizard can do more than cast Magic Missile once and then hit people with their staff.

2. Are you going to miss out on loads of content if you don't heavily research the game and the lore? Things like "oh you killed that ogre that tried to eat your party? Sorry, you can't reach max level for any of your characters!" or "when you finished that conversation you were supposed to tap three times on the brick wall, type a command into an invisible text box and then walk backward off the left side of the screen."

1) Wizards and their variants were by far the best class in Bg1/Bg2/TOB, not even close. Same is true here (though other classes are actually good too, now, particularly monks, paladins, bards, and fighters).

2) There is so much content and content that is locked behind certain decisions that you won't see it all on a first playthrough anyway. Approaching the game as "I need to do 100% of the content on the first run" is an exhausting approach.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

can i respec party members? i am really regretting making astarion into anything other than thief class.

also really floored by how emotional i got over his personal quest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are a lot of things that are “missable” in the sense that you are extremely unlikely to uncover some of the most well-hidden secrets without completely spoiling yourself but all of the major plot events are heavily signposted and the super big stuff even has “are you reaaaally sure about this” pop-up messages. People like to theorycraft but the game is 100% beatable on Balanced even if you just go 12/12 in every character’s default class with no deviation whatsoever.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

cash crab posted:

can i respec party members? i am really regretting making astarion into anything other than thief class.

Yeah Withers can respec for you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cash crab posted:

Talk to Withers in camp and he can respec whoever is talking to them for 100 gold. Then you can pickpocket the gold right back. Gods have no need for your gold

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

what the gently caress is he gonna buy. retinol?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
ok now im thinking what does the Knight need the money for, because he does get angry if you fail a pickpocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was so shocked when the person I stole from didn't like my reasoning that it's ok to steal from people as long as I determine on my own it's something they probably don't need.