Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

also that it's brutalist architecture

that's not brutalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Programmer Humor posted:

obama should just put all the meme quotes on there. gotta have them ribs, buy your own drat fries, ethereal bisexual, we tortured some folk

The building will be a triumph of architecture if the side reads "uhh let me be clear: there is no way america will vote for uhhh lil homie gay rear end"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

so he...didnt really need to do anything because americas backbone was already indestructible?

three stooges syndrome

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Ok but seriously, I don't see how you can respect everyone's religious beliefs, implicitly accepting that their religion is a personal belief and not an objective truth that controls where their souls end up, but then also insist that you're a better judge of their beliefs than they are and you have to override their beliefs and do it "right" to save their soul.

That just makes no sense to me. It seems like you should either:

Pick the religion you think is the objective truth and treat everyone with that to save their very real souls regardless of what they want. Sorry, Islam is fake, and your soul is on the line so here's the last rights in God's native language: English

OR

Respect their beliefs by actually respecting their beliefs whatever they are.

This third thing where you respect their beliefs, unless you think they're doing their religion wrong, then you stop respecting what they want and do what you think they're supposed to believe instead, and justify this by saying only this specific Anglican ritual will save their soul (but you'd do a different ritual if they say they're Catholic or Jewish) is not very logical imo.

i think your main problem in this thought experiment is that youre assuming that people with religious beliefs consider themselves to be absolute authorities on what those beliefs entail this is a very individualistic interpretation of spirituality which in the context of organized religion is quite oxymoronic what exactly does it mean for a person to be a member of a spiritual community if they dont think theres anything to learn from other people in that community spiritually the conflict of these ideas isnt something you just made up of course its a big reason why church membership has been plunging so much in recent years

a secondary problem of your thinking here is that we arent discussing regular old dejected shitposting assholes like ourselves were talking about people on deaths door or who have undergone trauma so severe they might be at risk of walking themselves straight to it being in this kind of situation gives a person a strong sense of humility and fear and doubt about the meaning of life and death a person at that point who as a healthy person might have thought her religion was about hating the queers is likely looking for something of greater substance to focus on as she faces the great beyond and even assuming shes just a shallow rear end in a top hat whos perfectly happy chanting god hates fags to herself as she passes over the question is then begged why should she or we even care about getting her a chaplain in the first place if she obviously doesnt need one

tldr atheists dont need chaplains dumbass lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Aren't we currently in the process of selling our steel spine to Japan?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Oh…oh good! Father has spoken, and all is well! My heart SINGS

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/POTUS/status/1781008160465019128

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/HuffPostPol/status/1781017961265840554

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

wrap it up, bidenailures

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

there's a gat dang Natural White Cheddar Cheeto in the oval office

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The comedian insisted the disgraced director is innocent and those refusing to work with him are “a bunch of pussies.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bill-maher-to-katie-couric-woody-allen-not-a-pervert-for-baby-doll-kink

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

that's not brutalism

I admit I've been brutally owned by it not being brutalist architecture.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

The comedian insisted the disgraced director is innocent and those refusing to work with him are “a bunch of pussies.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bill-maher-to-katie-couric-woody-allen-not-a-pervert-for-baby-doll-kink

uhhhh whazzup, Bill?

quote:

Couric reminded Maher that Allen reportedly requested girlfriends to dress up in childlike clothing as part of sexual roleplay, raising questions about his proclivities. “Do you think he’s the only guy who likes that? Really?” Maher shot back. “Do you think he’s the first guy who wanted his girlfriend to dress in anklets and baby doll [dresses]? That’s what we grew up on, that’s what we find sexy…that doesn’t make you a pervert.”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar’s daughter, Isra Hirsi, revealed Thursday she has been suspended from Barnard College over her involvement in anti-Israel protests on Columbia University’s campus.

“I’m an organizer with CU Apartheid Divest @ColumbiaSJP, in my 3 years at @BarnardCollege I have never been reprimanded or received any disciplinary warnings,” the 21-year-old wrote on X.

“I just received notice that I am 1 of 3 students suspended for standing in solidarity with Palestinians facing a genocide.”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Go gently caress yourself Genocide Joe.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We must punish Iran for not taking the destruction of their consulate like a dog

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

uhhhh whazzup, Bill?

jesus loving christ

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1781012184593510457?t=K2m-ZbPdbtopp3UIBMVJ8w&s=19

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1764735066373046382

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

also vice president harris: time to threaten parents of truant kids with jail and laugh like a sociopath when i remember doing it during an interview

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

She meant genocide

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Biden is about to give Rafah the go ahead.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

tbh this seems to vary through the different stages of the trump life cycle

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TikTok ban should clear the Senate next week and be signed by the end of April

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I hate this

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The building will be a triumph of architecture if the side reads "uhh let me be clear: there is no way america will vote for uhhh lil homie gay rear end"

I will donate to the Obamna Foundation if it uses that quote.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

incredible political acumen sir

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Seriously, one of these things is not like the other ones

"Taiwanese independence" is such a bizarre phrase considering the only thing they would be dropping is territorial claims to more than actual China ever claimed.

*RoC eying Tibet, Xinjiang and Hong Kong

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

camoseven posted:

jesus loving christ

I mean, he's correct inasmuch as pedos were held to a different standard--none at all!--back when he & I were growing up.

My parents hired a 30-something neighbor to babysit their four girls (2 of us teens) while they went on vacation for a week, even tho the guy had "dated" a 14 yr old previously, and even though he had a habit of exposing himself while facing my sister's bedroom (both of which my parents knew).

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nichael posted:

incredible political acumen sir

Don't worry. It's been attached to aid for Ukraine and Israel. This is bipartisanship

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, he's correct inasmuch as pedos were held to a different standard--none at all!--back when he & I were growing up.

My parents hired a 30-something neighbor to babysit their four girls (2 of us teens) while they went on vacation for a week, even tho the guy had "dated" a 14 yr old previously, and even though he had a habit of exposing himself while facing my sister's bedroom (both of which my parents knew).

Bill Maher isn't smart enough to do the math that the reason all the media he grew up on portrayed too young women as sexy is because most of the people producing it were out and proud pedophiles. Also ya know.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Give me Taiwan. I will protect it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hi, trmup expert here! this is not funny, tumrp only does this when he's in extreme distress.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

It's interesting to imagine, that if by some bizarre political volte face the Kuomintang was the suddenly placed to reunite China from the isle that would not actually please the US at all, because the whole point is to split up China as far as possible to eliminate them as a geopolitical rival. While China being Communist is certainly a grain in the eye of the US, the direct material interest is in preventing a united power block of that size and that ability to challenge US hegemony.

The US cannot accept a united China, regardless of the regime. The US will always be pushing for Congo-style social breakdown.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

uhhhh whazzup, Bill?

goddamn, what a freak

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

goddamn, what a freak

absolutely wild to volunteer that during your defense of a guy accused of molesting

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Did they ever settle on a justification other than CHINA BAD

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Excelzior posted:

Hi, trmup expert here! this is not funny, tumrp only does this when he's in extreme distress.

:(

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

a secondary problem of your thinking here is that we arent discussing regular old dejected shitposting assholes like ourselves were talking about people on deaths door or who have undergone trauma so severe they might be at risk of walking themselves straight to it being in this kind of situation gives a person a strong sense of humility and fear and doubt about the meaning of life and death a person at that point who as a healthy person might have thought her religion was about hating the queers is likely looking for something of greater substance to focus on as she faces the great beyond and even assuming shes just a shallow rear end in a top hat whos perfectly happy chanting god hates fags to herself as she passes over the question is then begged why should she or we even care about getting her a chaplain in the first place if she obviously doesnt need one

That was really thoughtful. There were a lot of stories like that during the early days of covid, that guidance from Martin Luther on what to do during a plague was going around, but then cultural discipline took hold and they were reminded what's really important

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6QUsx68DCA

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

steel has a low strength to weight ratio but go off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ahh, I see now. They were making bad trouble instead of good trouble, and that was their crime. It all makes sense now!