Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ArmedZombie posted:

surprised they haven't done this in the US yet

Because it's not a thing in the US unless your company generously decides to put it into their handbook. The UK has a huge number of labor protections that the US lacks completely. Most countries do, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/1781362283718799555?t=Th-rSf2nti6rFq1fdBHN0A&s=19
https://twitter.com/TeamCavuto/status/1781077697831059607?t=d4_p51OafRHv_ecyCIYySA&s=19

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Because it's not a thing in the US unless your company generously decides to put it into their handbook. The UK has a huge number of labor protections that the US lacks completely. Most countries do, actually.

by 2050 every western country is going to become a neoliberal hellhole like the US and the US is probably going back to a plantation economy

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
SPR still very slowly being refilled. Fed Balance sheet also very slowly being reduced. They're almost down to 7.5 trillion dollars worth of who knows....which brings us back towards March of 2021. Peak was 9 trillion in May of 2022. 7 trillion marks the July of 2020 2nd Fed spending spree....3.8 trillion represents where the financial economy completely broke - September of 2019. It's also the lowest point since Obama's Fed started their money hose in 2008.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

biceps crimes posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Texas parked turrets all around eagle pass and started just gunning folks down within the decade. idk if Republican voters care about any other issue more (aside from owning the libs)

yeah i was gonna say, the gop has been signaling for years now that their 'policy endgame' for immigration (especially climate-related) is machine guns

pretty confident most americans will hoot and holler in approval

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Boot and Rally posted:

lmao that there isn't a bougie club house in the Bay Area.

Lets look, lets look at northern california you understand it yeah? ...something about san francisco... but it isn't just down in the ratty part of town, but the upper class in san francisco is that way. Now bohemian grove that I attend from time to time ... something about the others that come there... but it is the most faggy god dammed thing you could ever imagine. that san francisco crowd that goes in there, its just terrible! I mean, I wont shake hands with anybody from san francisco.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, I found that out a long time ago when I got severe hives from one formulation of a med but no negative effects from another. Meanwhile, trying to communicate that to anybody just results in them putting the active ingredient into the EMR for me because they have no mechanism to note an allergy to a specific formulation of a medication.

thats impossible, the programmers at HN have established that computerization of healthcare is always a net benefit and has negligible downsides.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Homeless Friend posted:

once had a friend who had it the other way and they gave him a .277% raise which they refused to fix lol, so he quit. They tried to beg him back while they clearly were going to train/cert the replacement so he quoted like 5x salary but they didn't take the bait alas

that's also impossible, a small business owner is always qualified to manage a small business. it's their house, they're supposed to be there!

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I can't find an official source because there hasn't been an official announcement yet but some Optum people are complaining on tiktok and there are various places like thelayoff.com this stuff is getting posted

https://x.com/MacroEdgeRes/status/1780993252797173918

Supposedly they are shutting down a virtual health division or something

i went to an optum urgent care and it was the worst UC experience of my life. video receptionist, 2 nurses in the whole place. you could just tell they can't fuckin wait to throw some AI into the mix for more cost-cutting.

the independent place we used to go to was so much better, adequately staffed and no cost-cutting bullshit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i have no idea what urgent care is supposed to be anymore. seems like a failed experiment

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

The Oldest Man posted:

kagi is probably not quite as good as google was ~2015 but its leagues better than google or bing are now

won't be for long with this kind of CEO

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

skooma512 posted:

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/...urce=reddit.com

It’s not enough that they already have child labor, even a lunch break is too much for the capitalists.

But of course China is the cruel slave and child labor state

waiting for some clever chud in the chud states to propose a "work-study" program for their state that turns public school students into farm laborers for most of the day. 1 or 2 hours of classroom instruction per day, then get on the truck, it's time to go harvest stuff.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Barry Foster posted:

two - Truss and Sunak

Boris Johnson was given an all time historic landslide victory by the hooting servile bog apes of this damp, cruel, wretched little bugger-house of an island

the people voted for pain, and they're getting it, and they will keep on getting it forever

my favorite british guy is that prime minister who orchestrated brexit and immediately resigned after the referendum passed. like, days or weeks later. just toss the country in the trash and leave for the weekend lol

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

ArmedZombie posted:

surprised they haven't done this in the US yet

something like this would have major support from both parties. loving over and immiserating workers has strong bipartisan support. its honestly a slam dunk, itd bring both parties together

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they don't need anything like that in the US because the only people getting notes from their doctor to justify missing work are people already seeing the doctor lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
just make it too expensive to go to the doctor and they can't get a note, bing bong

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

in a sane world the ultra rich would be considered dangerous national security threats. a billionaire is basically a human bomb, they can take their money anywhere and wreck anything

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

i have no idea what urgent care is supposed to be anymore. seems like a failed experiment

It's supposed to be the healthcare system for the bottom 80% of the country

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
nvidia is down 8% and down 12% in the last 30 days. AMD down almost 20% in the last month.

AI boom over?!

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

skooma512 posted:

nvidia is down 8% and down 12% in the last 30 days. AMD down almost 20% in the last month.

AI boom over?!

sorry sorry, I put ai on the blockchain I’m trying to fix it

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's supposed to be the healthcare system for the bottom 80% of the country

Naw, that's the emergency room. Urgent Care is so people who have insurance but aren't rich enough for concierge doctors can actually get appointments for non emergency stuff that aren't 3 months out.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
NVDA down 10% today now.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

HallelujahLee posted:

lol the tiktok ban is being added to the israel-ukraine aid bill pretty much guaranteeing it passes in the senate

sweet

HallelujahLee posted:

apparently the bill also includes the act to seize russian assets good stuff very smart idea

excellent

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Naw, that's the emergency room. Urgent Care is so people who have insurance but aren't rich enough for concierge doctors can actually get appointments for non emergency stuff that aren't 3 months out.

ERs are unprofitable, that's why UCs are being pushed. The real profitable poo poo for hospitals is cosmetic stuff, fertility treatments, etc and the for-profit hospitals would get out of the emergency medicine business entirely if they could.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

agreed, nothing will destroy dollar hegemony and by extension the american empire more thoroughly

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

err posted:

NVDA down 10% today now.

AI party's over, hope you took profits and ran

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hooray

let’s hope the next tulip craze is less stupid

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Mandel Brotset posted:

agreed, nothing will destroy dollar hegemony and by extension the american empire more thoroughly

uh huh

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The suicide warnings are posted up in /r/WSB. Bubble over, revert to mean.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

euphronius posted:

hooray

narrator:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Oldest Man posted:

by 2050 every western country is going to become a neoliberal hellhole like the US and the US is probably going back to a plantation economy

Big corps are already tying your housing to your job.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackke...sh=24d0483e2d78

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

euphronius posted:

hooray

I mean it's still hard to top NFTs as far as stupid useless bubbles go

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The TV show about a particular ape JPG being cancelled bc the shows creator had their NFT wallet stolen was the peak of the 2020s and now we have 6 more years of this crap to go.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Xaris posted:

prediction was wrong, burger and fries is now $36

lmao from 1996

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Popoto posted:

won't be for long with this kind of CEO

ive come to a certain level of acceptance that i am just going to have to pull up stakes and change my browser, search engine, etc. every couple of years from now on to surf ahead of the enshittification tidal wave because nothing is going to stay good and anyone making a good product right now to gain market-share is going to turn it to absolute poo poo to increase revenue as soon as they have market share

lmao that guy's an absolute rear end-clown in those emails though

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Some guy self immolated in front of the nyc court house and his manifesto was centered around cryptocurrency being an economic doomsday device.

what a day

https://www.newsweek.com/read-max-azzarello-manifesto-about-lighting-himself-fire-trump-trial-1892368

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

err posted:

NVDA down 10% today now.

Nancy cashing out?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

The Oldest Man posted:

ive come to a certain level of acceptance that i am just going to have to pull up stakes and change my browser, search engine, etc. every couple of years from now on to surf ahead of the enshittification tidal wave because nothing is going to stay good and anyone making a good product right now to gain market-share is going to turn it to absolute poo poo to increase revenue as soon as they have market share

lmao that guy's an absolute rear end-clown in those emails though

it’s very saddening. but I’m sure one day there’s gonna be a MySpace->FB moment with Google->?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol he didn’t invest in crypto before the halving tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Popoto posted:

it’s very saddening. but I’m sure one day there’s gonna be a MySpace->FB moment with Google->?

it started with tiktok but probably won’t progress much further until the cpc conquers silicon valley capital