Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJhFVSaWvWU Epidemius playthrough, 5 minutes into the campaign and they already found a exploit by spending 200 infections to make a building and cancelling it "earns" 200 infections for their quest.

Remind me, SoC had no Freelc lord to play alongside the DLC correct? they just skipped out on that because :effort: yea?

Aekold Helbrass was FreeLC.

This is actually the first of the paid DLCs for game 3 that have a free LL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Anyone see Garagrim yet? I assume as a hero he's just a thane, but naked.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aurubin posted:

There are slayer lords and heroes now

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Garagrim is like Theodor in that your supposed to drive him into a pile of thing that kills him except instead of exploding when he dies it just makes Ungrim a double slayer

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Doesn’t feel like a good day to be the undead in the Empire, you’ve got that Chaos hero who literally removes the undead ability and now an even more turbo charged Empire Lord replacing the previous turbo charged Empire Lord nearby. And the dwarves are getting a lot of shiny new toys.

But boy is it going to be glorious using all this firepower on hordes of zombies and skeletons.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
goth lady doesn't even care about stinky zombie miasma.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Aekold Helbrass was FreeLC.

This is actually the first of the paid DLCs for game 3 that have a free LL.

I don't really consider statstick heroes on the same level as a lord with a new playable location and playstyle.

Bel'akor was basically a FLC lord once immortal empires/warriors of chaos DLC came out wasn't he?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Caidin posted:

Malakai will make Dwarves louder, angrier and give them access to a time machine so that they can go back in time to the instant a grudge was committed and settle them immediately afterwards

What would Dwarves make of Minority Report? Stopping a grudge before it can happen... but then, if it didn't happen, there's no grudge to avenge?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
dwarves....would not go back and stop hitler

neither would elves however so it's impossible to say which is worse

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Out of Elves and Hitler? Definitely Elves.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dolash posted:

What would Dwarves make of Minority Report? Stopping a grudge before it can happen... but then, if it didn't happen, there's no grudge to avenge?

Listen. I'm not saying that I didn't notice Wurrzag come raiding out of the bad lands. I'm not saying that if I rushed the throng over to blood river valley just one turn sooner that Dok Karaz wouldn't be in green hands. Look, I'm not even exactly saying that the Book of Grudges is just the ledger for my insurance scam!

What I am saying is, now when I run some ork rear end out of town on a rail and take back a settlement I never put money into in the first place? I'm up XP, regular gold, Oath Gold and grudges settled, baby!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Doesn’t feel like a good day to be the undead in the Empire, you’ve got that Chaos hero who literally removes the undead ability and now an even more turbo charged Empire Lord replacing the previous turbo charged Empire Lord nearby. And the dwarves are getting a lot of shiny new toys.

But boy is it going to be glorious using all this firepower on hordes of zombies and skeletons.

Every time I fight my way over to where the Empire is, the vampires already own half of it, so giving them a tougher time probably isn't the worst thing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the empire really does not seem able to deal with its problems in the current patch so a bit of a buff wouldn't hurt them too much.

Playing as vamps however seems like it's gonna be Interesting.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

LostRook posted:

Give them pointy ears too.

they already have them. lore

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah the empire really does not seem able to deal with its problems in the current patch so a bit of a buff wouldn't hurt them too much.

Playing as vamps however seems like it's gonna be Interesting.

I honestly think this is mostly just going to contain them from crushing the entire empire 9/10 to a more reasonable 6-7/10. Festus is still very strong, and ungrim is still going to be getting a lot of direct pressure, he might actually just push out occasionally now. Vlad goes nuts because all his early empire opposition is divided and distracted, not because the empire is a trash faction. He will get caught out a bit more often though from a combination of Elspeth or Dwarves going on a war path, but they will still need time to scale.

Todbringer getting buffed or some other Empire LL/support an elector on the ropes is what is needed to put Vlad on notice via direct pressure or taking pressure off from Festus. Or a Zhufbar LL ready to strike right into Vlad's capital when he is off starting poo poo.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Onmi posted:

This reminds me of one of my favorite Kingdom Hearts 3 dev stories. So Disney gets the final say on everything, from models to animations to plot, to "How this character's eyes look in this cutscene." And like... it's hell, working with Disney is a miserable experience. BUT. They found the summons were super easy to get through because Simba being "A lion who's made of fire and vaguely resembles Simba" is fine with Disney, because it's not Simba in their minds, it's a fire elemental that resembles a lion.

There was a goon who was on the dev team for Dawn of War 2 Retribution back in the day and I remember he had stories about GWs IP team. Like, if you loaded the commissar lord into a rhino he'd sometimes bark "drive me closer I want to hit them with my sword" like the image macro.

That one line required multiple weeks worth of meetings with Games Workshop to get greenlit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I love how the main appeal of the landship is basically "it's very tall so you can shoot over everyone"

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Aurubin posted:

I've only seen a screenshot from the unit showcase zerkovich uploaded early but garagrim is an anti infantry AP slayer, basically he's a hero version of a doomseeker since he also has the axes chained to his wrists I think?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Mordja posted:

From the indypride video it seemed to go down pretty quickly to sustained gunfire (while still doing damage), like you said, the big issue was against armies that don't have that and rely on their own airforce to clear the skies.

Note that its current listed MP value is apparently 2800. Where even under AI control it did ~3500 value against that first Alith Anar army, and against the Chaos Dwarfs where it recklessly flew directly into crossfire from multiple Blunderbusses and the Anti-Large Deathshrieker it still did massive damage on the way out - so very much not optimal play of it in either instance. But yeah, ranged factions have tools that can potentially bring it down and it might be a powerful but reasonable tool in the arsenal of Dwarfs, just needing some strategy adjustment by ranged factions to counter the threat (possibly some cost/numbers balancing too, but it's probably at least in the ballpark of reasonable there) - it's the non-ranged factions that are likely hosed currently, and it's basically entirely due to the current implementation of that one ability.

edit: Actually seeing the preview today (the Landship), I really don't get why CA has come around to this "have to give these massive, heavily armored and enormous HP ranged threats huge movement boosts to escape from melee danger" thing. Like, if you get your absurdly expensive centerpiece caught and surrounded, it's your own drat fault.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 20, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DeathSandwich posted:

There was a goon who was on the dev team for Dawn of War 2 Retribution back in the day and I remember he had stories about GWs IP team. Like, if you loaded the commissar lord into a rhino he'd sometimes bark "drive me closer I want to hit them with my sword" like the image macro.

That one line required multiple weeks worth of meetings with Games Workshop to get greenlit.

New steam tank should say that. Guy's already up top waving a sword around

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The Landship's ability at least does more what you'd think: a short term boost that pretty much stops it from turning altogether.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Note that its current listed MP value is apparently 2800. Where even under AI control it did ~3500 value against that first Alith Anar army, and against the Chaos Dwarfs where it recklessly flew directly into crossfire from multiple Blunderbusses and the Anti-Large Deathshrieker it still did massive damage on the way out - so very much not optimal play of it in either instance. But yeah, ranged factions have tools that can potentially bring it down and it might be a powerful but reasonable tool in the arsenal of Dwarfs, just needing some strategy adjustment by ranged factions to counter the threat (possibly some cost/numbers balancing too, but it's probably at least in the ballpark of reasonable there) - it's the non-ranged factions that are likely hosed currently, and it's basically entirely due to the current implementation of that one ability.

edit: Actually seeing the preview today (the Landship), I really don't get why CA has come around to this "have to give these massive, heavily armored and enormous HP ranged threats huge movement boosts to escape from melee danger" thing. Like, if you get your absurdly expensive centerpiece caught and surrounded, it's your own drat fault.

Yeah I'm not sure what someone like the VCounts are really supposed to do against it in any cost-effective way. Vargheists are going to shred it but it can move enough to play keepaway for long enough for ground ranged troops to punish the vargheists and its not like you can ignore it with its damage output.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI5tOtmj_LA&t=12815s

Might as well link this for posterity (timestamped, but it's at 03:34:31). Some time ago, during a Q&A back in the WH2 era, a bunch of CA devs said that they were not looking forward to having to create completely new and original characters for the game after the amount of work that Cylostra Direfin took (a sentiment they repeated after they created Ancient Kroxigors, one of the very, very few purely original units in the game). For lack of the actual quote (since tracking down Q&A answers on Reddit is a goddamn pain), here's an actual source by people who are in good standing with CA talking about it, one of whom has actually worked very closely with GW in the past :v: This is apropos of nothing in particular, just for next time the conversation comes up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what someone like the VCounts are really supposed to do against it in any cost-effective way. Vargheists are going to shred it but it can move enough to play keepaway for long enough for ground ranged troops to punish the vargheists and its not like you can ignore it with its damage output.

Could you not just chase it with something like crypt ghouls? Or a unit of hexwraiths or something. If it's constantly running away it's not gonna be doing much.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

OwlFancier posted:

Could you not just chase it with something like crypt ghouls? Or a unit of hexwraiths or something. If it's constantly running away it's not gonna be doing much.

No, it's flying and shoots while moving.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh the thunderbarge, sorry I thought you were talking about the landship.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Sorry, that was unclear. I was talking about the thunderbarge, which also gets fire while moving and can move around the map as fast as terrorgheists and only just barely slower (by 2) than vargheists and I'm pretty sure they cant actually stop it from moving or do damage to it with how little difference their speed is. It's also got a ton of HP so while bats can catch it they won't do poo poo if they do.

E: loving lol Reiksguard can get devastating flanker and Iron Rose knights can get the "entities can't die while unit health is >50%" abilities from landmarks.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 20, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm that seems like you'd probably need to use single target spells or a flying hero.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Can it shoot while in melee? Cuz you could just chase it with bats. It would be forced to run away and accomplish nothing while getting chased by cheap rear end bats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's a possibility, also vampires do have access to a couple of -25% speed spells which would presumably bring it in range of heavier units.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

More importantly, can it fire behind itself while fleeing?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Yo, when did they DOUBLE the number of schools of magic the Lizardmen Slann get access to???

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

How kill Grimgrog becomes how kill blimp

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
other fun bug idea

the blimp can not land and will crash the game if all other units are dead, forcing the blimp to try to land

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Can it shoot while in melee? Cuz you could just chase it with bats. It would be forced to run away and accomplish nothing while getting chased by cheap rear end bats.
It's got 120 armor and 13k HP. It can ignore the bats. It can also shoot the bats. And I'm pretty sure it can shoot in melee too, and definitely has riders akin to the Araknarok's ranged attack which can also shoot while its in melee.

VCounts do have options (shadows debuff, heroes on hellsteeds) but drat that's a monster of a unit with that kind of speed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Specifically, it seems to have 3 weapon groups - the Thunderers arranged along both sides in the gondola, the two swivel cannons on the prow, and the bomb bay underneath. It operates like a rideable monster or war machine (the Araknarok mentioned above, War Wagons, Stegadons, the new Landship, etc.) so no it does not care if something is whacking the outer hull in determining whether it can continue firing. Note that, unlike Gyros, the bombs are not an activated ability, they just automatically drop (with a reload time) on anything below the Thunderbarge, and seem to have unlimited ammo. Also a listed ammo of 140, but how that's split between the Thunderers and cannons - or if one of those also has unlimited ammo - is something of a question mark. Oh, it also has a one-shot very high damage single target activated ability.

And the problem here isn't "can I potentially take it down eventually" - though that actually IS a question right there for a few armies - it's "can I do it before it devastates so much of my army that it doesn't even matter at that point." With the added caveat of "can it be done without dedicating so many points to that one singular task that the rest of the army is critically weakened against whatever else the Dwarfs brought."

Also, for added comedy, Malakai has a 3-use activated ability of a 20% heal for war machines. Yes, combined with a Thunderbarge this is exactly as disgusting as it sounds.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Third World Reagan posted:

other fun bug idea

the blimp can not land and will crash the game if all other units are dead, forcing the blimp to try to land

I can see this one lol

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I mean, Cathay's balloons can't land either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
All the coverage in this thread and elsewhere has got me loading the game up for the first time in a long time, haven’t played since before the Shadows of Change dlc.

Speaking of which took the changeling for a whirl for the first time. Is there even a way to lose this campaign? Seems designed to just have fun messing with the AI and influencing who wins in each theatre.