Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

stacking "reduce damage if shielded" and "reduce damage if full HP" blessings is just the bread and butter for my high stage SU runs.
if I don't at least get those, its going to be a harder time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

if you have E2 Aventuine with his LC i dont think comparing him to E0 Fu Xuan without her LC is fair

I said I was unfairly comparing them but it was Fu Xuan with her LC. And I mean… I don’t think Fu Xuan is going to win the comparison if both are at E2 either. Her E1 means everyone gets a boost to Crit DMG which is nice, but doesn’t help with survivability and her E2 does help with survivability by giving her a one time revive but I kinda feel that just demonstrates the problem with her in high difficulty Simulated Universe modes.

By comparison, only Aventurine’s E1 really helps his survivability because it makes him like Gepard and refreshes his shield on ultimate. His E2 does nothing to help him sustain unless you’re running him with Acheron.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

Fair, Black Prana is the one scenario where she suffers, but even then I can't remember the last time I thought my Fu was doing poorly at sustain. :shrug:

That's because of the s1. Try her with a 4 star lc in the same scenario. The DR and HP from her signature is a massive difference.

Maybe yours is built well enough that you won't notice. But at 6k HP and barely 1.5k defense, Fu struggles in the second half of 12.

Edit: Swarm IV is nearly impossible as well, even on Preservation.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2024

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I threw my leftover and daily pulls at Aventurine and hit rainbows somewhere in the 20s... Himeko e2. Feels like I haven't won a 50-50 in a while but I can't complain about an early 5*.

We get 1600 jade next week for the actual anniversary, don't we?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bad Video Games posted:

That's because of the s1. Try her with a 4 star lc in the same scenario. The DR and HP from her signature is a massive difference.

Maybe yours is built well enough that you won't notice. But at 6k HP and barely 1.5k defense, Fu struggles in the second half of 12.

Edit: Swarm IV is nearly impossible as well, even on Preservation.

Yeah, meanwhile mine has tanked a full 5-bug swarm ult on difficulty 5.

I guess lesson learned is get good signature cones? :V

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I have Fu Xuan with the 5* Herta LC. The extra shield it procs gives her a lot of effective HP, and I assume the base stats help too. That said, she does regularly die from final boss AOE at conundrum 12, so I usually try to get some kind of "revive from death once" thing on her. Low conundrum she's just invincible though.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, meanwhile mine has tanked a full 5-bug swarm ult on difficulty 5.

I guess lesson learned is get good signature cones? :V

Signature cones definitely seem worthwhile for anyone who has a decent number of limited 5* characters already. I need to get Ruan Mei and maybe another support character but I think I'm good on both sustain and DPS now. I'll be better served by getting cones and eidolons for them on reruns than getting more characters in those same roles.

I've got MoC well covered, having full cleared the last two. I maybe could use some better AOE DPS for PF but I kind of hate PF at this point so eh. I might be better off just investing more in Himeko, Herta, and my various blast DPS. They seem to be emphasizing the bosses more than the little adds lately anyway. Plus if I get better supports like Ruan Mei I can use them in PF too.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
The big robot from the robot duo boss fight has oneshotted my Fu Xuan multiple times with that butt stomp move.

For reference, mine has her LC and over 8k HP, and that doesn't seem to matter at all in G&G Conundrum runs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
My only problem with Aventurine is that the auto-battle thinks he needs to keep re-applying his shield with his skill even when it's already practically maxed

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like Aventurine's weakness, theoretically, is focused single-target damage from one of those gimmicks where the entire enemy team attacks a single person. Fu Xuan can more or less ignore that entirely, but it prevents Aventurine from using follow-ups and forces him to spam his skill.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
ME: aw jeez, I came in just a hair under the 20-turn mark on MoC 12!!! Curse you, boss!Aventurine! but also, I can't believe I did this well!

BOSS!AVENTURINE, VERY NOT DEAD YET: :confused: that was only my 1st phase, boyo, and also now your entire team is low health & you've no healer.

ME: :sweatdrop:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Clarste posted:

I feel like Aventurine's weakness, theoretically, is focused single-target damage from one of those gimmicks where the entire enemy team attacks a single person. Fu Xuan can more or less ignore that entirely, but it prevents Aventurine from using follow-ups and forces him to spam his skill.

That's probably true, though his A6 (the one where he applies shield on follow-up) does give a bigger shield to the ally with the lowest shield, so that would help a little bit. He's also more dependent on allies with FUA to proc his FUA when the enemy doesn't AOE.

Fu Xuan would definitely be better at handling that kind of fight, but I think Aventurine would still fare better than most Abundance characters.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Endorph posted:

if you have E2 Aventuine with his LC i dont think comparing him to E0 Fu Xuan without her LC is fair

Not the most common way to misspell him ;)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's definitely starting to feel like signature cones are more important than a year ago.

I have Argenti’s, Ratio's, Jing Yuan's, Acheron's, and Aventurine's. I'm going to grab Topaz's on her rerun, and I think lcs will be a priority for me in the future.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Clarste posted:

Closest I can think of for that is the bug weekly, but even then Aventurine's absurd team-wide 50% effect resistance really takes a lot of the bite out of that by helping prevent the CC that causes that to happen.

Bad Video Games posted:

It's definitely starting to feel like signature cones are more important than a year ago.

I have Argenti’s, Ratio's, Jing Yuan's, Acheron's, and Aventurine's. I'm going to grab Topaz's on her rerun, and I think lcs will be a priority for me in the future.

I continue to ignore LC banner's existence. The only LC I've ever been tempted for was maybe Topaz's on a rerun, and with my stash wiped out of this last round of bad luck, even that is absolutely not going to happen.

Robin and/or Jade or bust

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I should check prydwen more often, apparently, Huox2 just wants straight up "the heal set" now presumably for SP reasons....

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean prydwen isn't always right

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If you can give her enough hp and spd it seems like a perfectly decent thing to do. But that requires very high quality gear, you're not likely to get without a lot of farming for a support. Now it's alongside the cowboy set which is fairly universal, so it's not the worst thing to farm, but I don't think it's that worth it putting that much effort into a support set vs a dps set. If I could just get a great passerby set for my Huohuo with a snap of my fingers, I think it'd be worth running just to make those early setup turns less painful.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

How broken is Aventurine? At level 60, with a level 60 signature, he has 3.7k defense and 70/100 crit. His A6 isn't even unlocked yet, and he does 10k single target follow-ups. He already makes my Luocha obsolete. He's not even wearing his best relic set.

Once I unlock his A6, I can start optimizing the Aventurine fight.

Also, both Luocha and Lynx are in the healer set. Both are on teams where extra xp is a priority, and anything to make xp management simpler is good.

Edit: I don't even need his A6. Same amount of cycles as my level 80 Luocha with a level 80 signature. Without an er rope. :D

Edit 2: The 10k follow-ups are after Silver Wolf's ult and with Topaz. Not great, but pretty good.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 19, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bad Video Games posted:

How broken is Aventurine? At level 60, with a level 60 signature, he has 3.7k defense and 70/100 crit. His A6 isn't even unlocked yet, and he does 10k single target follow-ups. He already makes my Luocha obsolete. He's not even wearing his best relic set.

Once I unlock his A6, I can start optimizing the Aventurine fight.

Also, both Luocha and Lynx are in the healer set. Both are on teams where extra xp is a priority, and anything to make xp management simpler is good.

Edit: I don't even need his A6. Same amount of cycles as my level 80 Luocha with a level 80 signature. Without an er rope. :D

Aventurine is what Mihoyo players call "being shilled" right now. All the content released prior and currently is tailor made for him so he feels really good. Aventurine has some major weaknesses that they have left as future design space. As mentioned earlier, he cannot deal with focus fire. If they ever release an enemy that just relentlessly nukes down a party member one a time he'll be forced to spam his skill to keep everyone up. Additionally, he does not interact with debuffs at all. No Preservation unit can cleanse debuffs so if a fight either overwhelms your party's effect resist or simply forces a debuff on your party then Aventurine can't do anything about it. As an example, imagine a boss fight that casts Doom on a party member that cannot be resisted and has to be cleansed, this would be an absolute hard counter to Aventurine. He also cannot do anything about lost health, so if future fights have some mechanic that cares about health value (ie, if you are below 50% HP you are targetted by a follow up attack every enemy turn, total health healed is converted into damage done to enemies, etc.) he will be weaker there.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I understand his limitations. But he solves the Gepard problem and the Fu Xuan problem at the same time while also freeing Luocha to be on another team. The benefits of having multiple sustains at high investment mean I'm rarely limited by any such gimmicks.

Aventurine being good during his banner is obvious. Aventurine, being as good as he is, means I can focus more on optimizing his boss battle. I have a dual issue of lack of damage and survivability. Now I've narrowed one problem down.

Aventurine good.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Meanwhile outside of content that is literally designed to counter him specifically (read: the Aventurine boss fight), I dunno what these supposed "Gepard problems" are. MoC12 Aventurine is the first time I've actually had legitimate "okay this is threatening in a way that is hard to cope with" issues in MoC content with him, and that's because the bet mechanic is designed to hard-counter anyone without a damaging ult (and really, anyone without an AoE damaging ult), since near as I can tell you can't effres out of the imprisonment for losing. I don't even have him on his signature anymore since he's welded to Acheron at the hip and thus is in perma-Trends duty.

Then again, I don't have a follow-up centric team to really make Aventurine shine in a way that distinguishes him from Gepard. It just feels weird to me to see all this "fu xuan and gepard are bad, thank god I have aventurine" doomposting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
gender swapped 'seele bad' posting

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Eej posted:

Aventurine is what Mihoyo players call "being shilled" right now.
"The push", as people say in the business.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fu Xuan was the best answer beforehand to Aventurine (boss). Her protection doesn't rely on her ult, just skill, and she can easily tank a 3 person hit. Gepard can be a good answer, but you have to lean into his freeze. Aventurine(boss) is super ccable, and if you have enough EHR to hit his e Gepard could theoretically keep him stunlocked. Just using Gepard like normal kind of sucks thanks to the energy drain though, as Gepard's protection relies on his ult.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Eimi posted:

Fu Xuan was the best answer beforehand to Aventurine (boss). Her protection doesn't rely on her ult, just skill, and she can easily tank a 3 person hit. Gepard can be a good answer, but you have to lean into his freeze. Aventurine(boss) is super ccable, and if you have enough EHR to hit his e Gepard could theoretically keep him stunlocked. Just using Gepard like normal kind of sucks thanks to the energy drain though, as Gepard's protection relies on his ult.

Yeah, I noticed that he seems awfully susceptible to crowd controlling. It's helpful that the current MoC gimmick means that Pela doesn't need to skill to generate Acheron flowers, so Gepard can eat up more skill points.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Fu Xuan is still amazing outside of content that puts out truly absurd amounts of AoE damage like conumdrum 12. Seems people are just enamored with the new hotness, which is fair.

I've never had her even come close to dying in MoC 12 since her release. She's an absolute tanking superstar.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gepard’s big problem is that he’s slow and kind of annoying to build relics wise and if you didn’t use his talent to start battles off with, it can take a while for him to use his ultimate to apply shields. Once he’s up and running though, he’s generally solid.

Fu Xuan’s biggest problem is that she can’t handle AoE at all and Preservation blessings in the Simulated Universe do nothing for her. Not only that, Destruction blessings actively make her worse there and will kill her quickly. She also struggles to regenerate energy fast enough for my liking and that’s with an energy regen rope, meaning that on harder content she burns through her self heals way too quickly and it seems the only ways to mitigate thie are to spam her skill more often (meaning she’s not generating SP) or getting her to E4.

Aventurine will begin battles with you already shielded, will stack shields when he uses his skill or follow up attacks, works amazingly with Preservation buffs in the Simulated Universe, doesn’t suffer when you pick Destruction blessings and his shields can end up stronger than Gepards because they stack. Like sure, Fu Xuan in theory is better against enemies who do big single target damage, but the key word there is “in theory”. There’s very few enemies like that in the game at the moment and those that are, still generally don’t do enough damage before Aventurine can reapply shields to mitigate it.

Nobody is saying Gepard is bad. Nobody is saying Fu Xuan is bad. I’m just of the opinion that as of this very minute, Aventurine is arguably the best sustain in the game. They probably will introduce new enemies later on which will make Fu Xuan the better choice, I’m not doubting that. But that’s all just highly theoretical and going “but a theoretical future enemy that can do this will make Aventurine eat poo poo” to downplay how strong he is currently is just weird imo.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Got The Gambler on a 50/50. Even though he's not nearly built out, the shields and FUA are actually really really good. I hope he doesn't become one of those "Slot in this guy and spin to win", though.

It makes me wonder, with all the shielders in the game, are they going to eventually add enemy 'piercing' stats? Do they already have that?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

fu is cuter

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Selenephos posted:

Gepard’s big problem is that he’s slow and kind of annoying to build relics wise and if you didn’t use his talent to start battles off with, it can take a while for him to use his ultimate to apply shields. Once he’s up and running though, he’s generally solid.

Fu Xuan’s biggest problem is that she can’t handle AoE at all and Preservation blessings in the Simulated Universe do nothing for her. Not only that, Destruction blessings actively make her worse there and will kill her quickly. She also struggles to regenerate energy fast enough for my liking and that’s with an energy regen rope, meaning that on harder content she burns through her self heals way too quickly and it seems the only ways to mitigate thie are to spam her skill more often (meaning she’s not generating SP) or getting her to E4.

Aventurine will begin battles with you already shielded, will stack shields when he uses his skill or follow up attacks, works amazingly with Preservation buffs in the Simulated Universe, doesn’t suffer when you pick Destruction blessings and his shields can end up stronger than Gepards because they stack. Like sure, Fu Xuan in theory is better against enemies who do big single target damage, but the key word there is “in theory”. There’s very few enemies like that in the game at the moment and those that are, still generally don’t do enough damage before Aventurine can reapply shields to mitigate it.

Nobody is saying Gepard is bad. Nobody is saying Fu Xuan is bad. I’m just of the opinion that as of this very minute, Aventurine is arguably the best sustain in the game. They probably will introduce new enemies later on which will make Fu Xuan the better choice, I’m not doubting that. But that’s all just highly theoretical and going “but a theoretical future enemy that can do this will make Aventurine eat poo poo” to downplay how strong he is currently is just weird imo.

I mean we literally have someone on this page asking to what degree how broken he is which itself is hyperbole

Daner T
Dec 24, 2004
Theme wise Fu is definitely cooler with the all seeing eye/galaxy stuff. More so than guitar case knight and gambler. I was totally going to get Fu on her rerun but I got Aventurine today and unsure if I need her, but she just looks cool.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Selenephos posted:

Not only that, Destruction blessings actively make her worse there and will kill her quickly.

...literally the only Destruction blessing that's actively detrimental to Fu Xuan is the damage splitting one. The rest of them increase HP, reward not being topped off, or otherwise reward taking hits.

Preservation blessings are also perfectly fine with Fu Xuan since the "get a shield at the end of every turn" blessing exists and scales off of max HP, which Fu Xuan kinda is known for having a metric fuckton of.

Like, am I just playing the Berenstein Bears Star Rail???

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Eej posted:

Aventurine is what Mihoyo players call "being shilled" right now. All the content released prior and currently is tailor made for him so he feels really good. Aventurine has some major weaknesses that they have left as future design space. As mentioned earlier, he cannot deal with focus fire. If they ever release an enemy that just relentlessly nukes down a party member one a time he'll be forced to spam his skill to keep everyone up.

Right, that's Fu's niche, but also March's. Granted, her current ideal opponent in this niche is the Grape Ape, who very obviously telegraphs and lets you manipulate who he slams, but still. And this theoretical future Terminator Elite/Boss would probably need some extra sauce to not be just hard-countered completely by Fu as well.

quote:

Additionally, he does not interact with debuffs at all. No Preservation unit can cleanse debuffs so if a fight either overwhelms your party's effect resist or simply forces a debuff on your party then Aventurine can't do anything about it. As an example, imagine a boss fight that casts Doom on a party member that cannot be resisted and has to be cleansed, this would be an absolute hard counter to Aventurine.

Not true! March can do it with her skill at A2.

...I didn't say it was good cleanse, that's what Lynx, Luocha, and Huohuo are for.

quote:

He also cannot do anything about lost health, so if future fights have some mechanic that cares about health value (ie, if you are below 50% HP you are targetted by a follow up attack every enemy turn, total health healed is converted into damage done to enemies, etc.) he will be weaker there.

Yeah, I imagine at some point they'll have to start putting out enemies that favor healer characters over shielders. Maybe the next time we get into Xianzhou shenanigans.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they could also just release more characters like blade that dont work well with shielders

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

...literally the only Destruction blessing that's actively detrimental to Fu Xuan is the damage splitting one. The rest of them increase HP, reward not being topped off, or otherwise reward taking hits.

Preservation blessings are also perfectly fine with Fu Xuan since the "get a shield at the end of every turn" blessing exists and scales off of max HP, which Fu Xuan kinda is known for having a metric fuckton of.

Like, am I just playing the Berenstein Bears Star Rail???

The Destruction Resonance blessings will literally shave off half of everyone in your team’s current health to do damage to enemies and shield you. Which you don’t want with Fu Xuan because that’s guaranteed to burn one of her self heals right off the bat when you don’t need her to and you have zero control over her doing it.

And sure, picking the Preservation path will give you other ways to shield, but there’s still a huge difference between Fu Xuan on the Preservation path only getting benefits from the path blessings itself with her contributing little to it and Gepard and Aventurine on the Preservation path, getting their own shields and utility boosted from the blessing that will literally mean you take zero damage on conundrum difficulty 12 in G&G.

So uh, maybe you are playing a totally different Star Rail from everyone else?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

they could also just release more characters like blade that dont work well with shielders

Isn't Sam's leaked kit something like that?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Selenephos posted:

The Destruction Resonance blessings will literally shave off half of everyone in your team’s current health to do damage to enemies and shield you. Which you don’t want with Fu Xuan because that’s guaranteed to burn one of her self heals right off the bat when you don’t need her to and you have zero control over her doing it.

And sure, picking the Preservation path will give you other ways to shield, but there’s still a huge difference between Fu Xuan on the Preservation path only getting benefits from the path blessings itself with her contributing little to it and Gepard and Aventurine on the Preservation path, getting their own shields and utility boosted from the blessing that will literally mean you take zero damage on conundrum difficulty 12 in G&G.

So uh, maybe you are playing a totally different Star Rail from everyone else?

You said Destruction "blessings" not Destruction "path." So it was not at all clear what you meant.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Clarste posted:

Isn't Sam's leaked kit something like that?

Yeah. Sacrifices HP and scales off Break Effect. If their kit remains the same then Sam will likely want to be paired with Abundance. Will probably likely pair well with Hatblazer too.

Clarste posted:

You said Destruction "blessings" not Destruction "path." So it was not at all clear what you meant.

I’d argue the only destruction blessing that is good for her is the increase Max HP one though. Most do nothing for her or are actively bad and the Destruction path is the last one you want to take with her to boot.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The 2.1 banner characters have been crazy pants. Gotta be the strongest duo of characters in a patch so far, right? And from the leaks, doesn't sound like anything's beating it for a while.