Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, you do all of that stuff to "strengthen your claim" or whatever, and the moment it *should* matter, the plot just goes "Mission failed, we'll get them next time", and everything you did was for nothing.
Like I'm aware of all the "Babby's first medieval fantasy court drama" or whatever they're trying to do in the background, but it falls completely flat because our character is basically just a spectator.

It matters about as much as anything you do in the first game, or nearly any game, does. It's just mildly annoying that so many people act like there is no story when there is. A game spending the first act of its plot building up something big only to have it fail is basically the summary of most basic plots, most books and movies. If the characters succeeded then the story would have wrapped up and the credits would have rolled. Or were you shocked and upset that cloud and company's eco terrorism didn't save the world, that the grey warden didn't stop the blight at ostagar, or any time a hero failed to thwart a demon lord fresh from his starting village?

lets hang out posted:

I didn't realize I was on a time limit to go kill the bandit leader :shrug: oh well

At least the guy who broke the bad news to me gave me like 10000 gold for my trouble

There's a time limit on hugo? He was just arrested. But I kind of like the bandit leader more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Picayune posted:

After a certain point (assuming all the quest markers fire properly, which is honestly a big ask) Hugo's quest really needed a spinning hourglass on it. Okay, you can't fail it, precisely, but you need to hustle your Arisen butt after Hugo pretty sharpish. I didn't go quickly enough and eventually Benjamin stopped me in town to let me know that the two of them had killed each other, oh, and now that the quest has ended we're hiding their bodies somewhere so that you can't wakestone them, sorry about that, Arisen!

Also, in re: the Sphinx, after successfully answering all ten riddles, there's a super easy (if expensive) way to kill her. After she unlocked the last normal-sized chest, I didn't open it. I walked around behind her - because you aren't supposed to hit her in her human parts, which the stupid fragile vase actually refers to, if you look at it - and carefully put the arrow of unmaking in her lion butt while she was still reclining and not moving. She got unmade (and seemed kind of happy about it, honestly, because it was like I was solving the eleventh and final riddle) and then I opened the last small chest and also the big one.

You can also shoot her in the wing, so you don't even have to move

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can see what they mean by "Stop your main pawns from talk like support pawns" being a known issue.

Finally did the soul transfer book quest, with the forgery. My main pawn said "So, this is what happens with a forgery. My own master used the real thing." Uh... You were right here, Jackal.

Still not as big a deal as constantly being unable to give high fives.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Reminds me of the :wtf: moment when my pawn asked me this:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I think the game would have benefited from a bunch more stuff in the battahl section of the main story. The first bit was honestly not that bad, imo, but once you cross the border everything feels increasingly abrupt and disjointed. Also, moonglint tower was a joke and feels like they absolutely just cut out a planned dungeon for time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phlegmish posted:

Reminds me of the :wtf: moment when my pawn asked me this:

I think your pawn might have a concussion

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Obligatum VII posted:

I think the game would have benefited from a bunch more stuff in the battahl section of the main story. The first bit was honestly not that bad, imo, but once you cross the border everything feels increasingly abrupt and disjointed. Also, moonglint tower was a joke and feels like they absolutely just cut out a planned dungeon for time.

I do wonder if the game was hit with the same sort of budget/time issues as the first one, and they opted to make cuts around the 2/3rds section of the game rather than the finale. Everything past the point of no return does feel like the way it was "supposed" to be, where it's not super long but still way more going on than the everfall in DD1 had, and it does feel like the better decision to finish strong in exchange for a kind of middling middle section if the choice had to be made.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I started a Real New Game instead of NG+ to have a fresh experience instead of being OP, and goddamn, Warrior owns. It's only like 4 ranks in and it's already the most fun I've had playing this game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I think your pawn might have a concussion

All pawns come out of the rift pre-concussed

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I beat my first golem and griffin :byodood:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got around to actually walking through the checkpoint into Battahl and I have totally forgotten why I actually wanted to come here lmao

I got a cool half cape though

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Finally finished the game in 275 ingame days. Took my sweet time and if I didn't feel pressed for time in the end I would have taken longer. I think I'll reload from a cloud save (lose about a day of gaming) that was saved right on the top of moonglint tower (I think) and then I'll stick around longer to grind WLC.

Sphinx boss was the best. Such a cool character and the way she looks at you when you answered a riddle: awesome.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/Fufm4sh.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That happens so much and it's funny every time

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It's the archer shimmy, an ancient and powerful technique to inspire fear and confusion in your enemies.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Or were you shocked and upset that cloud and company's eco terrorism didn't save the world

yes

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Metereon and Maelstrom are traps, I've found the true ideal Pawn Sorceror loadout:

High Thundermine, Spellhold, and Augural Flare.

Weak enemies get the bzzt bzzt, big dudes get omae wa mou shindeiru.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

McKilligan posted:

Metereon and Maelstrom are traps, I've found the true ideal Pawn Sorceror loadout:

High Thundermine, Spellhold, and Augural Flare.

Weak enemies get the bzzt bzzt, big dudes get omae wa mou shindeiru.

Uhhh...doesn't Spellhold completely break the caster AI?

I'm also not sure about either of those spells being particularly effective against drakes, at least on a pawn.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Spellhold hasn't broken anything as far as I'm aware, unless my pawn is just keeping a spell permanently in their staff and not using it. You could easily omit it and just keep the other two.

But Augural Flare absolutely wrecks drakes, and pretty much everything else.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

lol

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Average TV viewers just discovered the lewd mod scene. :wink:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Are people trying to mod their TVs

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not sure what the connection is. Did mods come up in one of the episodes?

The show must be more popular than I thought, I just assumed it was going to be trash just like anything else connected to Bethesda these days.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not sure what the connection is. Did mods come up in one of the episodes?

The show must be more popular than I thought, I just assumed it was going to be trash just like anything else connected to Bethesda these days.
It's making people want to play Fallout (Fallout 4 currently #12 concurrent players according to SteamDB)

The show itself somehow manages to be very good, like way better than it has any business being.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Cross posting from the Fallout thread:

Fallout 4 sales up 7500% in Europe alone. Fallout 76 has also seen a surge in new players. Then you have many returning players starting a new play through who are re-downloading/reinstalling dozens of mods. Having a well received and popular TV show seems to do wonders for an IP. You know, NOT the recent live action Resident Evil TV/movies.

Maybe we can get a Dragon's Dogma TV show some day.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MH Knights posted:

you'll be forgiven for forgetting the existence of the dradog anime, given that it was a single season and nothing but hot piss

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Didn't Witcher and Cyberpunk shows also massively boost sales?

Have to say, it's a bit wild to see this when I grew up with such video games adaptations as Double Dragon, Super Mario, Mortal Kombat or that Dungeons and Dragons with the "thief maze"...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MH Knights posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Dogma_(TV_series)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Isn't the Blair Witch Project a DD2 adaptation? It also starts with a basic plot that you can follow, then weird poo poo happens and as you finally think the story is going to actually start explaining itself, credits roll. :confused:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

Didn't Witcher and Cyberpunk shows also massively boost sales?

they both got their sales significantly juiced by their respective shows, although edgerunner's was probably more significant given the lingering negative reputation of CP2077 at the time. both are still paling in comparison to fallout's ascension; +7500% is a genuinely cartoonish increase in sales numbers for a game that already sold exceptionally well over its lifetime

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Boy are these people going to be disappointed when they play Fallout 4.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Boy are these people going to be disappointed when they play Fallout 4.

i'm genuinely shocked that there's that many people who haven't played fallout 4 who had a passing interest in the TV show, given that it's the most normie-rear end game i can think of outside of, like, sports titles

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Volte posted:

The show itself somehow manages to be very good, like way better than it has any business being.

:eyepop:

That is genuinely surprising to me. So many strikes against it - so much cash-grab garbage being released these past five or six years, as well as it being a video game adaptation, and one specifically associated with Bethesda, who aren't exactly known for their engaging stories. If they somehow managed to overcome all that to create an actually good show, I don't know what to say. It shouldn't be possible, statistically speaking.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

:eyepop:

That is genuinely surprising to me. So many strikes against it - so much cash-grab garbage being released these past five or six years, as well as it being a video game adaptation, and one specifically associated with Bethesda, who aren't exactly known for their engaging stories. If they somehow managed to overcome all that to create an actually good show, I don't know what to say. It shouldn't be possible, statistically speaking.

With the exception of Halo video game TV adaptations have been on a pretty good hot streak actually. Last of Us, Cyberpunk, even League of Legend had really strong showing. Hell, the lead in Fallout voiced one of the leads in Arcane!

VG shows have never been more back.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fair. I guess I just don't hear much about the good ones, which says a lot about content creators, as well as of course the type of content that people (including myself) find appealing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TV's much more well suited to the more meandering narrative style of video games than the disastrous film attempts that've been made, and companies are finally waking up to the fact that they can make huge bank on secondary sales and brand recognition if they give creative control to people who know what they're doing

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My pawn just got his griffon badge when we came down the waterfall and saw a griffon taking a drink from the river. It looked up and saw us, then immediately slid the one pixel further into the river that was enough for it to brine itself.

And weirdly, he just returned from another player but when I checked that player's profile they hadn't been online for 19 days. So how did my pawn get released?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Thundarr posted:

And weirdly, he just returned from another player but when I checked that player's profile they hadn't been online for 19 days. So how did my pawn get released?

first party generally frowns on your game telling on people who are invisible/appear offline but evidence suggests this to be the case here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vermain posted:

i'm genuinely shocked that there's that many people who haven't played fallout 4 who had a passing interest in the TV show, given that it's the most normie-rear end game i can think of outside of, like, sports titles

For some reason I wasn't able to get into FO4, despite enjoying both 3 and New Vegas (moreso the latter).

I think it's because the plot/setting kinda sucked. For whatever reason (or combination of reasons), I couldn't "buy into" its setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I am extremely taking my sweet time with this game. I'm in the unmoored world now, level 60 something. Nothing is really difficult per se, but I find myself wanting to restart almost more than I want to finish. Like, the early game difficulty, the exploration, all of that just felt so much more fun and exciting. A lot of that is surely related to the hype for the game. It's not that I'm not having fun necessarily, but something in the transition through the back third or so of the game into the post game story resolution feels like it was missing something to really grab me and keep me engaged the same way the post game everfall spelunking and overworld exploration in DD1 did.