Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Taima posted:

this person is actually pretty right. They're describing silicon valley prestige tech but they are right. There is pressure to be healthy and it can easily affect your professional career to be too overweight.

There are people who buck the trend of course, and obviously the IT dudes are gonna be fat for whatever reason. But when I worked in the valley it was very rare to work with anyone more than, like "kinda pudgy" because people really do care in that environment. It's full of sociopathic career pushers.

So glad to leave silicon valley, gently caress that place. That being said sometimes you would meet a high level director who was fat and you would be like, drat, this dude's power reading is off the charts if he can roll like that. Power move.

Computer toucher is meaningless its the dumbest phrase of all time right up there with "adulting" and "chonker".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
100% but at the same time I think, in this thread, when people say computer touchers they are thinking of Shrike-type people. RSU gobbling FAANGers

Taima has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Apr 20, 2024

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

Computer toucher is meaningless its the dumbest phrase of all time right up there with "adulting" and "chonker".

Computer touching adulting chonker spotted.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Computer touching adulting chonker spotted.

absolutely

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Taima posted:

Well I mean sure, if the internet is your gauge on it.

opinions and values differ across social classes and geographically in real life because it's a really, really complex topic that touches on so many lovely parts of our society, from its absurd cost, to its untested long-term ramifications, and yeah, people genuinely not wanting to see anyone else shine.

What really amazes me is how much ozempic et al is kind of a proxy battle for many of the ills of society right now, in one neat package.

You can tell a lot about someone by understanding their position on GLP agonists

I take it and am open about it since everyone I know and work with aren't stupid and could connect the dots themselves since I lost 30% of my bodyweight after being the same weight for a decade. I get plenty of real world judgement about it.

It's really weird how many people are mad that I am now a normal weight.

Somewhat unrelated but I think all of the side effects are because the drug is being dramatically overprescribed. I'm on a dose every two weeks and its so much better for like 20 different reasons.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not even that long ago, within your parents' lifetimes, "kinda pudgy" meant fat, period. "Fat" as the slop burgers use it nowadays would've been "horrifyingly obese" in any other time period.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I take it and am open about it since everyone I know and work with aren't stupid and could connect the dots themselves since I lost 30% of my bodyweight after being the same weight for a decade. I get plenty of real world judgement about it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

mad?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if you want to lose weight in a way that destroys the American economy, buy Costco adult multivitamins, Costco whey protein, a Costco hotdog since you are already there anyway, and tons of oats and apples. eat only that for a year while saving up all your computer toucher money. DO NOT put that money back into the American economy. save it. then go on a "vacation" overseas and whoops I lost all my money... it's not even against the law yet lol..

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mistermojo posted:

we need to go back to when the standard of beauty was a deathly pale 200 pound woman covered in 50 pounds of clothing

You're working on resident evil?

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Somewhat unrelated but I think all of the side effects are because the drug is being dramatically overprescribed. I'm on a dose every two weeks and its so much better for like 20 different reasons.

This seems way more reasonable since losing weight is actually very good for your long-term overall health compared to the weirdos that get hair plugs or break their legs to get 2 or 3 inches in height.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

may allah strike down computer touchers

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Oh I think you'll find its full of meaning

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I don't know about outside of SA but "Computer Toucher" always referred to the extremely overpaid tech people who did little to no actual work. "Overpaid" was the key descriptor and the term was derogatory.

I guess it could have evolved into a general term for anyone in technology but I'm pretty sure it started out as just a slam for anyone who wants to pretend their $200,000 salary is insufficient in any city in the world because after paying all of their bills, savings and retirement they feel like they aren't wealthy.

that could just be my own preference though

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Apr 20, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just to be clear its good to make fun of people who make 6 figgies and do less work than literally anyone making minimum wage, but lumping together the person who fixes POS systems at the grocery store for $50,000, the person who does desktop support for $15/hr, and the senior dev who makes $450,000 working for meta is what is specifically dumb. The 300 pound linux admin stereotype is not the same thing as a silicon valley tech bro who drives 3 different telsas and works out all day because its a status symbol.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

HallelujahLee posted:

may allah awaken the people and help them to see the evil-doings of cspam and the computer touchers.”

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
computer diddlers

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

computer diddlers

problematic

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

spiritual bypass posted:

lol @ everyone itt hand wringing that fat people might lose weight without suffering enough

It's not purgation if you don't burn away your gluttony through mortification of the flesh, no.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Lpzie posted:

if you want to lose weight in a way that destroys the American economy, buy Costco adult multivitamins, Costco whey protein, a Costco hotdog since you are already there anyway, and tons of oats and apples. eat only that for a year while saving up all your computer toucher money. DO NOT put that money back into the American economy. save it. then go on a "vacation" overseas and whoops I lost all my money... it's not even against the law yet lol..

gently caress yeah loving love glyphosate

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
devops is computer caressing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

computer touching leads to house touching

quote:

That's what I was doing the last 20 years. Now I'm laid off and this is my "retirement" plan. And just like everything else it is shittier, because the cost of repairs and materials are through the roof, and labor is so expensive that I have to do all the handiwork that doesn't need a licensed pro myself, or it wouldn't be profitable. I easily do 40 hours each week painting, cleaning, listing, doing showings, background checks, huge amount of Section 8 paperwork, lugging appliances up/down stairs, repairing stairs, showing up in person to help tenants, bringing my paint to Home Depot and having them shake it back up for me and add grit to it so I can paint the stairs so they're grippy for the winter and someone doesn't trip and sue me, I had to cut my time with my boyfriend short and drive back early because the police kicked the door in half during a wellness check, so I mended the door myself and installed a keypad deadbolt so they have a way in next time.

For 1 or 2 apartments I agree, when you're around 10 and they're all in different locations so you have no economy of scale (different parts, different paints, different window blind lengths, different faucet fixtures and different washer/dryer hookups and voltages) and you're from a poor area with a lot of tenants who are high-maintenance, it's easily more work than full time. Quite a bit more because I came from COVID quiet-quitting IT stuff to ramping this up. Plus I'm not getting any younger.

I wish. For all the commie bitching about how easy I have it, I can't get any of them to do what I do for $30/hr cash. If you know anyone send them my way.

quote:

Look I'm not up for getting dogpiled by communists, I'm just letting this goon know that if they think housing is Stock Market EZ-Mode, guess again. It's the Dark Souls of investments. I gotta put up with so much misery and I gotta do it all by the book because there's nothing more these fuckers would love than to make up a sob story for a judge and redistribute my wealth.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

may allah strike down computer touchers

☝️

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

lmao it loving rules that poster is miserable, i hope they choke on their properties

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

hmm

mawarannahr posted:

I can't get any of them to do what I do for $30/hr cash

I gotta do it all by the book

:thunk:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

$61 Billion dollars just approved to failed state of Ukraine

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
when the work is easy, you can find time to shitpost and have energy to do activities after work. when the work is physical, you cant. the physical jobs dont even pay better. this is my problem with computer touchers.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Place sanctions on ports and refineries that receive and process Iranian oil.
Place sanctions on anyone involved in activity covered under the UN missile embargo on Iran that lapsed last year or in the supply or sale of Iran’s missiles and drones.
Further restrict the export of goods and technology of US origin to Iran.
Empower the executive branch to seize and transfer frozen Russian assets held in the US to Ukraine.
Give TikTok's Chinese parent, ByteDance, nine months to sell the social media company or it would be banned from US app stores.

this passed lol like 360-50

and the $26 billion to israel

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AARD VARKMAN posted:

computer diddlers

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

Place sanctions on anyone involved in activity covered under the UN missile embargo on Iran that lapsed last year or in the supply or sale of Iran’s missiles and drones.
Empower the executive branch to seize and transfer frozen Russian assets held in the US to Ukraine.
Give TikTok's Chinese parent, ByteDance, nine months to sell the social media company or it would be banned from US app stores.

Praise be to Number, my friend. Let it soothe your troubled thoughts.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

HallelujahLee posted:

Lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HallelujahLee posted:

:patriot::911:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

Trump just won the election.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Salt Fish posted:

Just to be clear its good to make fun of people who make 6 figgies and do less work than literally anyone making minimum wage, but lumping together the person who fixes POS systems at the grocery store for $50,000, the person who does desktop support for $15/hr, and the senior dev who makes $450,000 working for meta is what is specifically dumb. The 300 pound linux admin stereotype is not the same thing as a silicon valley tech bro who drives 3 different telsas and works out all day because its a status symbol.

yep

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

just a demonic nation all around

still though lol at the russia point good move to further erode your dominance

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

HallelujahLee posted:

umm..... any school lunchs perhaps? no? ah well crank the money printer

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

this

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Watch out Gaza Hospitals, Congress is Back in Session

AWOOO

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

HallelujahLee posted:

The bolded point will have actual, lasting consequences. Heavily, heavily undermines the status of the American dollar as a reserve currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

RealityWarCriminal posted:

when the work is easy, you can find time to shitpost and have energy to do activities after work. when the work is physical, you cant. the physical jobs dont even pay better. this is my problem with computer touchers.

exactly.