Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

Where does that phrase come from originally. The "X cannot fail, it can only be failed" one.
Apparently from a blogger in 2006. This is our deep lore now.

https://boards.straightdope.com/t/source-this-quote/497492

Blogger themself seems to confirm:
https://twitter.com/digby56/status/1208605648377630721

e: Future scholars will someday discover Blink 192, the pop punk telephone directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the actual blog seems to have broken permalinks so the original post can be found on the archive page here, in the post titled "Political Religion"

quote:

George W. Bush will not achieve a place in the Republican pantheon. Conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed. (And a conservative can only fail because he is too liberal.)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

enthesopathy

I had never heard of the entheses before.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

MARS rifle ban,

Tbf they never should have done that "buy one Mars bar get a free rifle" promotional giveaway

Rust Martialis posted:

Thesis + enthesis --> Symphysis (?)

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
They used to sell these really big MARS rifles but too many people were getting hurt so now you can get two MARS pistols that adds up to slightly more than a rifle in one container which is much better.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

top tip if you ever have a medical question just type it in + “radiopedia” and you will know everything a radiologist knows

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The funny thing is that there was never a single crime linked to a MARS style rifle, the ban was argued entirely on the statistical likelihood that they might cause a crime.

A standard that they completely flip out over when it is applied to using violence against children.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Rust Martialis posted:

huh, the same root as "parentheses", which I guess sort of makes sense (the ancient greek énthesis meaning "insertion")

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Josef bugman posted:

Also I wish that time management bullshit would piss off at workplaces. Especially when you have to work weekends.

I have a remote work uni research job and it's loving great, nobody keeps tabs on me whatsoever as long as I get stuff done by kinda when I say it'll be done by. I very rarely start working before about midday and some days I just don't bother at all and go for a walk or play the playstation instead. It's kinda sickening that I'm being paid really decent money for working considerably less than I did in customer service but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

The counterpoint, I suppose, is that this level of freedom is dangerous when you have total responsibility for a whole project. It would be so easy to just... not do it. I imagine if you're used to being told what to do at all times it would be pretty stressful to have that weighing on you.

But yes, would recommend. Shame none of these things are permanent and you have to bounce around between short term contracts constantly.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Hopefully the right leaning people dry retch so hard they have a stroke and all die, the evil loving cunts

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

File this under unexpected. “Cooking in Lagos with Tim Westwood” definitely gets full Partridge approval

https://twitter.com/scarcitystudios/status/1781380729164706144?s=46

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Deciding to stop watching all the bollocks like QT, Klientssberg on Sunday, pissy Peston and the rest was one of the best media decisions I ever made

i did the same but i just like the TV or the radio on when i'm working at home and it happened to be on, sort of thing

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

sinky posted:

:blastu:
"Labour has no plans for a youth mobility scheme"

guardian

jesus christ

"would you like this thing we're offering your young people to improve their lives?"

"oh no thank you we hate them and we hate you" :britain:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

File this under unexpected. “Cooking in Lagos with Tim Westwood” definitely gets full Partridge approval

https://twitter.com/scarcitystudios/status/1781380729164706144?s=46
Ah yeah, 'cooking'. That's surely what DJ Tim Westwood is doing in the city where police disappear journalists who investigate sexual assault allegations against powerful figures.

Probably related to the numerous women with historical complaints about his cooking.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

Ah yeah, 'cooking'. That's surely what DJ Tim Westwood is doing in the city where police disappear journalists who investigate sexual assault allegations against powerful figures.

Probably related to the numerous women with historical complaints about his cooking.

I’m sure he just has a very sincere and genuine interest in their cuisine*

*and extradition arrangements

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is the great circle of life. As a teen in boring Bedfordshire I used to desperately tune the FM dial to catch the scant signal from london of Capital Radio and The Westwood Capital Rap Show. He was a god to me, the coolest man alive playing the most awesome cool music I had ever heard. Now , 4 decades on, he’s cooking Okra on YouTube from Nigeria to avoid noncing charges.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i do wonder if the offer and its rejection are both based on practical self interest, though, with all of our societies starting to deal with a demographic crisis

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

crispix posted:

jesus christ

"would you like this thing we're offering your young people to improve their lives?"

"oh no thank you we hate them and we hate you" :britain:

well labour was basically pro-brexit at the time so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the referendum was almost a decade ago

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

crispix posted:

gently caress

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
i hate everything

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

Yeah, decade this September.

Oh wait, you mean the other depressing referendum I've lived through this past decade

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i mean a lot of people did, Truman McBurbank :rolleyes:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

“Oh God this was Cat’s 50th at work”
“That’s amazing, she’s wearing that with her figure.”
“Yes she’s so brave.”

I have no idea who Cat is but I am definitely on Cat’s side.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Been watching some economics vids on the tubes since Gary Stevenson was posted in this thread... and now YouTube has decided to recommend the loving Institute for Economic Affairs youtube channel to me.

It's a vid explaining why Tesco isn't profiteering despite doubling its profits.

The pre-vid clips show some econ prick saying that "it's exactly those kind of price increases and the increase in profit associated with it that we need to correct the imbalance between supply and demand that's caused the problem in the first place", and "every single example of rent controls has backfired in one way or another".

gently caress you YouTube and gently caress you IEA.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could correct the imbalance between supply and demand by eating people from the institute of economic affairs.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mediaphage posted:

well labour was basically pro-brexit at the time so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

no matter how many idiot trolls we threadban they just keep coming

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sinky posted:

:blastu:
"Labour has no plans for a youth mobility scheme"

Child trafficking, however.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I got a booklet in the post about the London mayoral candidates. Mostly people who love cops, and hate ULEZ and graphic design. My "favourite" was this message from Britain First's candidate:

A racist posted:

Dear voter,
London is fast becoming a Third World cesspit, where crime is rampant and radical Islamist extremists dominate the streets!
Homelessness has increased; along with food bank useage, but spending on woke nonsense has exploded!
The reality is we are running out of time to save and restore our beloved capital city!
What was once a safe and cohesive city has been transformed into a crime-ridden, unrecognisable disaster zone. If you want change, vote for it!
On Thursday 2 May, Vote 'Britain First - No To Immigration!'

:supaburn:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

no matter how many idiot trolls we threadban they just keep coming

oh gently caress off

i’m not an idiot troll i just had my time wrong. i was thinking of corbin being really lacklustre about another vote but that was clearly after the first one

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lol at the idea that london is basically the opening scene of demolition man.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Lol at the idea that london is basically the opening scene of demolition man.

I feel like that crazy London is hell on earth stuff doesn't really work in a London mayoral campaign where voters have everyday experience of London.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
“Spending on woke nonsense has exploded” - I love the old woke, it’s like Brexit, it means whatever the person thinks it means. Woke means Woke.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

killerwhat posted:

I got a booklet in the post about the London mayoral candidates. Mostly people who love cops, and hate ULEZ and graphic design. My "favourite" was this message from Britain First's candidate:

:supaburn:

The anti-woke SDP woman is something else. I thought the SDP were meant to be like the Lib Dems? She was just a few rhetorical rungs below the Britain First oval office.

The first guy in the booklet, the bald cop lover, is weird as well. What is he an ex-cop or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I recently retired from working at the metropolitan police for reasons I do not wish to discuss, but now I'm running for mayor of london.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Their police nickname:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Necrothatcher posted:

I feel like that crazy London is hell on earth stuff doesn't really work in a London mayoral campaign where voters have everyday experience of London.

You'd be surprised; my neighbours once asked if I wasn't afraid to open my front door at night.

Er, no? Why? Well-lit street, terrace with plenty of neighbours, no Mad Max gangs rampaging down the street... not that that crosses my mind when I go to put stuff in the bins at 10pm. I just do it because why wouldn't I?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Runcible Cat posted:

You'd be surprised; my neighbours once asked if I wasn't afraid to open my front door at night.

Er, no? Why? Well-lit street, terrace with plenty of neighbours, no Mad Max gangs rampaging down the street... not that that crosses my mind when I go to put stuff in the bins at 10pm. I just do it because why wouldn't I?

Aren't you worried at all about the hordes of woke albanian trans-activists arriving on dinghies that are hiding just out of sight?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

those stories remind of how the conservatives in the us peddle the same fright time rants about communities of sharia law and inner cities are completely bereft of modern society or law enforcement where you take your life into your hands just driving through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As noted though it does seem like that would work better on people who don't actually live there. But there are certainly people who can exist in a place for some time while still holding the belief that everywhere outside their field of vision is writhing with densely packed criminal immigrants.

Reminds me of Lovecraft writing about how he went to new york once and he describes a normal street the same way he does coming face to face with an elder god or something.