Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Gripweed, have u seen 15/05/11 abandoned grain elevator

this works as an indie horror movie or a text sent by a panicked supervisor at a grain elevor factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Late Night with the Devil is a good movie but I wish it was a little spookier.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Abandoned Grain Elevator is alright, I :justpost:ed about it in the challenge thread one time

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheBizzness posted:

Late Night with the Devil is a good movie but I wish it was a little spookier.

I feel like they could have went more subtle and have it devolve through psychology rather than just showing a demon blaster but I loved the demon blaster so

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Abigail: not unenjoyable but also feels like it was written with the intent that you go in not knowing it’s a vampire movie? Which is not to fault Universal—I don’t really see how you’d market it otherwise—but there’s a fair bit of runtime before it gets to the “big reveal”, and even some misdirection before that, and consequently it kinda feels like it’s treading water for a while. Fun overall, anyway

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Doltos posted:

I feel like they could have went more subtle and have it devolve through psychology rather than just showing a demon blaster but I loved the demon blaster so

I want more demon! Give me more demon!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it was kind of bad. The concept is good but it wasn’t very convincing.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My favorite part was the worm coming out of the sidekicks eye, and that part wasn’t even real :(

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
so anyway i started blasting

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1781879861029535813

quote:

The cast of ‘THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT’ have released a statement ahead of the original’s 25th anniversary & a new reboot, asking for:

1️⃣ - Residual payments for the film, which they never got

2️⃣ - Consultation on future projects where their names & likeness are used

3️⃣ - A $60k annual grant to an aspiring filmmaker to aid in making their first feature film

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Doltos posted:

It feels like every horror movie geared towards teens is just a curse movie. Empty Man, Bye Bye Man, Wish Upon, Truth Or Dare, anything that just CGI's out a rictus grin. It's all derivative.

This is never going to change. Horror geared towards teens is always going to chase a trend. In the late 90s it was slashers chasing Scream and in the 00s it was chasing The Ring and so on and so on. Even going back it was the 80s slasher trend before my time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i agree

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Dangers of signing onto a super shoestring budget movie advertised in trade magazines. You may have to fight for what comes later on.

Edit: I'm not knocking them or anything just saying this is the equivalent of entering a handshake agreement because this project was so low budget they didn't have contracts or anything in writing. They are going to have to lawyer up (as they should) and fight.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 21, 2024

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s so loving slimey that the studio tried to claim copyright ownership of their real names since they were used in the movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doltos posted:

It feels like every horror movie geared towards teens is just a curse movie. Empty Man, Bye Bye Man, Wish Upon, Truth Or Dare, anything that just CGI's out a rictus grin. It's all derivative.

Empty Man isn't really a teen movie at all.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Of course it is! The kids go crazy for James Badge Dale!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wait I thought this thread loved Empty Man (I certainly did)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

veni veni veni posted:

Empty Man isn't really a teen movie at all.

I guess it's not on the level of Fear Street or something like that but I think it was quite clearly playing towards the creepypasta crowd with its naming scheme and its plot was close enough to another Slenderman/Bye Bye Man

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Wait I thought this thread loved Empty Man (I certainly did)

i do too but it's a bit of a dividing movie. easy one to get all-in for the first third, then slowly bummed that the rest of the movie is nothing like it

Late Night With The Devil was fine, fun stuff. an easy 'B'. loved the live studio band, they were cookin'! both hypnosis sequences were the best parts and Ian Bliss dominates as Cameron from the minute he struts onto the stage. it just never tipped over the line into being great, to me. changing visual styles during the adbreaks, removing the strict 70's ratio here and there, the massive exposition dump at the start, all felt like choices that compromised the movie's main concept. ultimately a fine fun time but maybe i spoiled it by watching History Of The Occult first.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

alf_pogs posted:

i do too but it's a bit of a dividing movie. easy one to get all-in for the first third, then slowly bummed that the rest of the movie is nothing like it

Yeah the beginning mystery was done well and I got supremely disappointed when they're like there's a cursed guy called the Empty Man and his cult is coming for you and now you're the Empty Man

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked The Empty Man fine (mainly cuz I like James Badge Dale from The Standoff at Sparrow Creek...great tense one location The Thing type riff around a nationalist militia). It just felt so long and bloated.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Doltos posted:

Yeah the beginning mystery was done well and I got supremely disappointed when they're like there's a cursed guy called the Empty Man and his cult is coming for you and now you're the Empty Man

I gradually got more psyched at the bait and switch. after I hit occultist Stephen Root I was all in on it going wherever the hell.

Empty Man director's episode of Cabinet of Curiosities is one of the best as well, The Autopsy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not a perfect movie but it does some interesting stuff. I enjoyed it. They really didn't do themselves any favors with the title.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Justin Godscock posted:

Dangers of signing onto a super shoestring budget movie advertised in trade magazines. You may have to fight for what comes later on.

Edit: I'm not knocking them or anything just saying this is the equivalent of entering a handshake agreement because this project was so low budget they didn't have contracts or anything in writing. They are going to have to lawyer up (as they should) and fight.

Yeah, it's worth noting that the $60k annual grant to an aspiring filmmaker that they're asking for is the shooting budget of the original movie.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Watched Lowlifes (2024) this evening on Tubi this evening.

All in all I had a good time with it but it feels like the movie thinks it's premise is a lot more clever than it really is. Turning the wholesome family from the city into the TCM Sawyer clan just lands with an, "ok, sure" for me. I was really hoping there would be a double twist and it would be city cannibals vs country cannibals in a slasher throw down. I also really wasn't in the mood for the ending where all of our protagonists die and one of the killers gets away, feels a bit done to death these days.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

was the empty man that tulpa movie it was p good

also the empty house or the night man or whatever where that ladies husband dies that was p good too

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Watching Matilda gently caress up those criminals was a lot of fun, and I hope we get a cool endcap to the unofficial trilogy that this could make because I definitely choose to believe that Abigail and Ready or Not are shared-universe.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kvlt! posted:

was the empty man that tulpa movie it was p good

also the empty house or the night man or whatever where that ladies husband dies that was p good too

Yes. Stephen Root should always be talking about tulpas.

The Night House. Also yes but qualified because they had a couple stumbles. Left a lot of good stuff sitting on the table and the resolution wasn’t very well integrated. But what they did, they did really well.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Night House had like 2 or 3 absolutely incredible all-timer shots and a couple other good moments (when she's at school in the beginning looking at real estate listings, falls asleep at her desk, and when she wakes up it's a gun shopping website was real hosed) but like you said, it left too much on the table. I just really wanted them to tie the architecture aspect into it being like evil geometry or occultism in the design of the house itself and they barely touched on that, and then having it turn out it's basically final destination but without the Rube Goldberg kills deflated it too much for me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I gently caress with The Night House to any degree that I do purely for Rebecca Hall. She carried that and she can carry a lot. But yeah I gave it a B more or less.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That reminds me, Resurrection also carried by Rebecca Hall. Also more or less just ok but creepy/weird and honestly I thought pretty hilarious when it comes down to Tim Roth's bizarre poo poo. It's like a planet of crazy carried by Rebecca Hall.
You really haven't lived until you've seen Rebecca Hall deliver the line "loving men—you can‘t stick your dick in anything without deciding that you love it or you hate it. Impede my mission once more and I will beat you until you are dead."

Also shout out to Christine (not the one about the car, the one where Rebecca Hall plays Christine Chubbuck) Christ what a depressing loving movie. Also if you don't know who Christine Chubbuck is just read the plot blurb and go in blind. Prepare to weep.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 21, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Rebecca Hall's long, unbroken monologue in Resurrection is incredible, and the cut to the stunned looking intern when she's done is a hilarious little cherry on top.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That reminds me, Resurrection also carried by Rebecca Hall. Also more or less just ok but creepy/weird and honestly I thought pretty hilarious when it comes down to Tim Roth's bizarre poo poo. It's like a planet of crazy carried by Rebecca Hall.
You really haven't lived until you've seen Rebecca Hall deliver the line "loving men—you can‘t stick your dick in anything without deciding that you love it or you hate it. Impede my mission once more and I will beat you until you are dead."

Also shout out to Christine (not the one about the car, the one where Rebecca Hall plays Christine Chubbuck) Christ what a depressing loving movie. Also if you don't know who Christine Chubbuck is just read the plot blurb and go in blind. Prepare to weep.

Yeah Christine is heartbreaking and imo Hall's best performance (and thats saying something!). Probably the best depiction of loneliness on film.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Night House had like 2 or 3 absolutely incredible all-timer shots and a couple other good moments (when she's at school in the beginning looking at real estate listings, falls asleep at her desk, and when she wakes up it's a gun shopping website was real hosed) but like you said, it left too much on the table. I just really wanted them to tie the architecture aspect into it being like evil geometry or occultism in the design of the house itself and they barely touched on that, and then having it turn out it's basically final destination but without the Rube Goldberg kills deflated it too much for me.

Yuuuup. They did a really good job executing a script that had a lot of potential, but desperately needed some workshopping/tightening. They don’t have to follow my tummy feels on how to resolve all the loose threads*, there are a lot of ways to do it, but they need to do something with them.

Also as someone who’s almost died, solid “enh” at the twist. It’s a lot more what a writer imagines that’s like than something relevant. I got virgin teenager writing sex scene vibes off of it. Not terrible, but again needed some workshopping.

*I vote more overt supernatural stuff with the house and occult geometry similar to what you said. You can leave in the serial killer stuff (I guess), just make it actually a ritual instead of not-Dan Stevens using random women as a murder nicotine patch for his wife.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Night House is definitely one of those movies where they had a nest idea and then had to figure out how to build a 2 hour movie around it

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I loved every minute of Night House, Resurrection, and Christine and it's so weird going from Hall's incredible performances in those movies to her being so neutral in the new Godzilla Kong movies

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I like Night House a good bit just for the atmosphere and being one of the About Trauma horror movies to make the drama actually interesting

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

oh god oh gently caress posted:

I like Night House a good bit just for the atmosphere and being one of the About Trauma horror movies to make the drama actually interesting

Yeah that's why I liked it too. It felt like being trapped in a bad dream and was grounding that dream in a practical horrible situation.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is M.R. James a zoomer author? Because he has a few stories where people sorta accidentally stumble into curses and get got by some ancient demon or guardian spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BiggerBoat posted:

Flags it for me and gives me poo poo.

Might need a different list or something, I haven't had issues.