Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

domhal posted:

LOL which country does he want to be PM of?

Germany, 1933.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Every time I think about not-voting, I hear my dad's voice yelling, "People died so you can have that vote!"
They died so that we could have weekends, holidays, sick pay, and the dole too, yet I never see that line used.

Why are all the "you are what your paperwork says you are, not what your imagination says you are" people so obsessed with identifying as part of a country that stopped existing in the 1700s?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
There’s writing on that flag, I don’t want any of that woke* text on there I want a proper flag. ENGERLAND ENGERLAND.

Labour still doing the leaning right and all those “Strategic Labour Voting Left” lot still with a large amount of hopium.

* Woke in this context, as always, means whatever increases your blood pressure the most.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Just stick this on every campaign ad the SNP run

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The main thing that makes me dislike the flag is the people who are obsessed with the loving thing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Nice of him to make clear which country it is, specifically, that he cares about appealing to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/KemiBadenoch/status/1781226661142298882

Kemi Badenoch: Instead of telling children that their heritage is built on slavery and exploitation, they should instead read my favourite book "Why Nations Fail"

The book reader has logged on

quote:

Though some new, and sometimes powerful, states did form to exploit the slave trade, they were based on warfare and plunder. The critical juncture of the discovery of the Americas may have helped England develop inclusive institutions but it made institutions in Africa even more extractive. Though the slave trade mostly ended after 1807, subsequent European colonialism not only threw into reverse nascent economic modernization in parts of southern and western Africa but also cut off any possibility of indigenous institutional reform. This meant that even outside of areas such as Congo, Madagascar, Namibia, and Tanzania, the areas where plunder, mass disruption, and even whole-scale murder were the rule, there was little chance for Africa to change its institutional path. Even worse, the structures of colonial rule left Africa with a more complex and pernicious institutional legacy in the 1960s than at the start of the colonial period.

Acemoglu, Daron; Robinson, James A.. Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity and Poverty (p. 116)

I mean if you open it up halfway, having never previously read it, while drunk, I guess you could get the sense that Africa just kept hitting itself for no reason. Other than that I'm lost here, either this is some Situationist performance art troll to get people to read criticism of colonialism or she's very stupid.
:iiam:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slavery and the rule of law, two things that are definitely not compatible.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

The main thing that makes me dislike the flag is the people who are obsessed with the loving thing.

It's a poo poo flag too. The only reason why we have it is due to laziness and appropriation. Trading ships in the Middle Ages often still flew the Patrician of Genoa's flag when returning to UK ports. With the absence of a national flag of our own, we just stole it as ours.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

It's a poo poo flag too. The only reason why we have it is due to laziness and appropriation. Trading ships in the Middle Ages often still flew the Patrician of Genoa's flag when returning to UK ports. With the absence of a national flag of our own, we just stole it as ours.

Interesting!
So England has an Italian flag, a Turkish patron saint, any other good tidbits?

I just found out today that St Andrew was the Andrew brother of St Peter from Galilee (so Palestinian or Judean if you will).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

liberals are pretty consistent in their defense of human rights, they're just very flexible in their definitions of human

INot liberals in general, there is still a capital-L Liberal party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Slavery and the rule of law, two things that are definitely not compatible.
It's a fun phrase, like 'common sense'. There's the Enlightenment meaning of "rule of law, not rule of kings" which is incompatible with chattel slavery* in its ideal** form because it grants the same legal code to all (but is still turboliberal because it grants the same right to sleep under a bridge to the rich as to the poor) and then there's the sense she uses it as "follow the rules we write or we'll hit you with sticks."

I guess if you wanted to distinguish between the two, the modern successor to the Enlightenment type would be called "universal human rights" but I think Badenoch goes into a panic thinking about those.

*but not prison slavery, as per the US Constitution
**ofc in the real world people made up all kinds of lovely excuses, "it must end, but sadly not in my lifetime while they're doing all my work so I can write fancy doctrines, terrible really"

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
A certain type will exalt Britain to the high heavens for banning slavery, while completely glossing over the fact that slaveowners were finanically compensated for the loss of slaves afterwards instead of being made to pay in any way whatsoever. So western, so Christian, so noble

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interesting!

There's the story of St George that some children get taught at school, which is that he was a knight travelling to Israel for a crusade, but got a bit lost and ended up in Libya, where his heroic deeds took place.

Israel and Libya are some distance apart, so either St George was a complete loving idiot who couldn't speak the local language well enough to get on a boat going the right way; or he was a conscientious objector to the crusades who decided to gently caress off to Cyrene, got drunk and killed a lion and found a way to ride that story into retirement.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Both of those seem like extremely English things to do.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Imagine being a patriot in the country that invented "there's no such thing as society". You'd have to be a right mug.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fuctifino posted:

No, it's a weird historical myth/misconception that was popularised in the Victorian era. Sort of like the Welsh flag is often attributed to the Welsh king Cadwaladr, even though there is no direct connection to him whatsoever. A red cross is not some particularly complex design that needs to be borrowed all the way from Genoa, lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't believe Scotland stole the mirror universe Russian naval ensign.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interesting!

I just found out today that St Andrew was the Andrew brother of St Peter from Galilee (so Palestinian or Judean if you will).

There's also another Turkish saint who breaks into British people's households every December to target their children. This is widely celebrated by the British public.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's also another Turkish saint who breaks into British people's households every December to target their children. This is widely celebrated by the British public.

St James of Bond, our saviour.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kingturnip posted:

There's the story of St George that some children get taught at school, which is that he was a knight travelling to Israel for a crusade, but got a bit lost and ended up in Libya, where his heroic deeds took place.

Israel and Libya are some distance apart, so either St George was a complete loving idiot who couldn't speak the local language well enough to get on a boat going the right way; or he was a conscientious objector to the crusades who decided to gently caress off to Cyrene, got drunk and killed a lion and found a way to ride that story into retirement.

What? He has nothing to do with the Crusades, his veneration started centuries before the first one. If he existed, he might have been 'a conscientious objector' in the Roman army, as a Christian, but that's neither here or there, since back then it was mostly about not participating in imperial pagan rituals.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 21, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Children also used to get taught that Britain was founded when Brutus of Troy and his army of sea people defeated the giants that roamed the land, so I think those stories might be wrong on purpose as a joke.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It doesn't get posted much lately, but the most recent thread pod is great. Deep dive into HS2 and how hosed big projects can get. https://youtu.be/lAOA-elodBY

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Guavanaut posted:

Children also used to get taught that Britain was founded when Brutus of Troy and his army of sea people defeated the giants that roamed the land, so I think those stories might be wrong on purpose as a joke.

Well, it's a legend, and it should be taught as such, but it should suddenly introduce Normans or whatever just because who cares it didn't happen anyway. Otherwise we get King Arthur (2004).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Paladinus posted:

Well, it's a legend, and it should be taught as such, but it should suddenly introduce Normans or whatever just because who cares it didn't happen anyway. Otherwise we get King Arthur (2004).

What do Norman and Mrs. Norman have to do with anything?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Paladinus posted:

The day after I watched that film I was talking to my brother-in-law and couldn't remember what film it was I'd sat through.
It took me half the week to remember.

On the note about St George, I don't disagree with Guavanaut, but it's also possible that - since loads of school teachers seem to take their session plans off the internet - that lesson was written by someone drunk/stoned/stupid and presented straight-faced by the teacher.
I doubt the key stage lead for History cares enough about a random Year 3 lesson to check it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paladinus posted:

Mythology is fun, but there is the danger when teaching it to children that it all gets blurred into the actual history if done wrong (e: ^^^ including how kingturnip mentions above), until you have George Bush going on about Gog and Magog to a room full of confused people to justify Iraq 2 (even though I thought Gog and Magog were in London now) or all those people on Facebook posting about mud floods and Tartarian empires.

sebzilla posted:

What do Norman and Mrs. Norman have to do with anything?
Norman! That Trojan and his mermaids are outside again, it's obscene!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Or you have the education secretary endorsing a children's book of story and myth for school history lessons.

- Preface to "Our Island Story", H. E. Marshall.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

- Preface to "Our Island Story", H. E. Marshall.
I remember reading that when I first heard about Gove promoting it.

It's Gove, so I was expecting a certain amount of jingoistic "rah rah the light of the British Empire benefitted* all that it touched" nonsense, but I wasn't ready for gods, fishmen, giants, Arthurian legend, the Tudors, the slave trade, and modern Britain is so great now that racism is over in 1905 to all be blended together in one narrative.

No icky material analysis though, as it's a story book so it's all "and this king was wise and generous and that one was wicked and cruel" that Gove likes.

*My phone keyboard kept suggesting 'genocide' instead of 'benefitted' here. It knows.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Mebh posted:

It doesn't get posted much lately, but the most recent thread pod is great. Deep dive into HS2 and how hosed big projects can get. https://youtu.be/lAOA-elodBY

now that's a crossover, I've been on his podcast 👀

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Only read on this blog but the sources are published, Cass backpedalling furiously as their name turns to poo poo in the eyes of the world and discovers they are now best buds with transphobes and bigots*

https://www.erininthemorning.com/p/dr-cass-backpedals-from-review-hrt

Far too late and far too little of course, if they didn't figure how political their report would be and how it might impact trans healthcare almost immediately they're either incredibly naive or incredibly dumb.

*or at least backpedalling to seem more moderate now their report is published, but not actually giving a gently caress.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Only read on this blog but the sources are published, Cass backpedalling furiously as their name turns to poo poo in the eyes of the world and discovers they are now best buds with transphobes and bigots*

https://www.erininthemorning.com/p/dr-cass-backpedals-from-review-hrt

has anyone said "Dr rear end" yet

e: maybe she'll follow the same route as Wakefield and gently caress off the US and spew her shite there, seems Florida will welcome her.

sinky fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 21, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dr Cool rear end

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That last paragraph is peak Telegraph :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lmao "the only thing worse than rich people getting state assistance is poor people getting state assistance"

Mebh
May 10, 2010

"I worked hard for my free pittance that I don't need, but of course, accept. Why should anyone else I deem unworthy get the same! Scroungers! Undeserving youths! The poor! Wokeists!!!"

loving hell, how are they all so lovely? What the hell happened to empathy for your fellow humans?

Imgur is working again tho, so have a picture of a good kitten.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

That last paragraph is peak Telegraph :allears:

MAUREEN! PEOPLE WHO HAVE LUSTED AFTER TRANSIENT PLEASURES ARE GETTING FREE BUS RIDES!!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The plebians desire the transient pleasure of foreign takeaways, I desire the immortal pleasure of having the state validate my lifetime of thinking I'm better than everyone else for being a tight bastard.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

loving hell, how are they all so lovely? What the hell happened to empathy for your fellow humans?
Even without such deviant Marxist ideas as 'empathy' and 'not being lovely', from a purely economic basis free bus fare, cheap trains, free prescriptions, and cold weather allowance are good ideas. Roll that out to everyone, not just pensioners. The bus fare one alone would see massive urban infrastructure savings.

But there's no such thing as society, only piss brained curtain twitching (not a transient pleasure).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My mum (may she ferment in piss) was a peak Torygraph reader and I can recount so many times where she voiced disdain about people getting any kind of welfare, but I remember she collected her child benefit each week, despite them both having good jobs. I remember asking her when I was ~13 why she collected it, and she loving snapped at me. "It's MY right. I've EARNED it." etc. etc.