Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

MTG is now saying she isn't going to file the motion to vacate. He called her bluff and she had no hand.

House Freedom Caucus is largely slipping from power and they finally realized it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Tortilla Coast is in shambles.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CommieGIR posted:

House Freedom Caucus is largely slipping from power and they finally realized it.

I wondered out loud a few months ago if the antics of the hard right Representatives would finally grow old with the more reasonable or centrist ones (if they exist). Maybe this is that finally coming to pass.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

psydude posted:

MTG is now saying she isn't going to file the motion to vacate. He called her bluff and she had no hand.

Noooo. She can't show weakness now. She needs to go through with it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MonkeyFit posted:

Noooo. She can't show weakness now. She needs to go through with it.

The Leader doesn't like weakness.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Instead she has decided to stand up for the rights of the ethnic Hungarians living in.. hang on let me check my notes... A place called Transcarpathia. She's introduced this.. thing to the House:

https://amendments-rules.house.gov/amendments/ethnic%20minorities%20amendment240418131602176.pdf

It's just typical noise, but there's no way she knew that place existed until someone handed her a note with it written down, right?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Instead she has decided to stand up for the rights of the ethnic Hungarians living in.. hang on let me check my notes... A place called Transcarpathia. She's introduced this.. thing to the House:

https://amendments-rules.house.gov/amendments/ethnic%20minorities%20amendment240418131602176.pdf

It's just typical noise, but there's no way she knew that place existed until someone handed her a note with it written down, right?

She thought it was Transylvania and wanted to help her fellow vampires.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Pretty sure she's some kind of poo poo slinging howler monkey.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ghouls are traditionally the servants of the vampires.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

CBJSprague24 posted:

I wondered out loud a few months ago if the antics of the hard right Representatives would finally grow old with the more reasonable or centrist ones (if they exist). Maybe this is that finally coming to pass.

I know they're still around, but recently I've heard only a bit about MTG's antics, nothing about Gaetz except the occasional news item about his sex poo poo, and so little about Boebert after the public crank yank that I almost forgot about her. Not sure if they've been told to keep their heads down or the media finally tired of their antics (not likely) but either way it was refreshing to be able to more or less pretend they didn't exist for a while.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

She's demanding bilingual education to accommodate linguistic and ethnic minorities?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

She's demanding bilingual education to accommodate linguistic and ethnic minorities*?

*Only the right kind of immigrants and, only when they're somewhere else

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But what about the ciscarpathians???

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Platystemon posted:

But what about the ciscarpathians???

That's a slur!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It doesn't surprise me that some US right wingers would be supporting Greater Hungary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_irredentism

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Transcarpathia is a real region that spans Eastern Slovakia and Western Ukraine that's home to an ethnolinguistic minority group called the Rusyns that speak the Rusyn language. My wife's great grandmother immigrated from a village in western Ukraine (which was part of Austria-Hungary at the time) and her grandmother still speaks it.

I'm sure there's some Hungarians there, but as far as I'm aware, they aren't facing any kind of major persecution. Most importantly, I'm 100% certain the Russians would happily murder them like they've been murdering Russian and Ukrainian speakers in the rest of the country.

psydude fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 21, 2024

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'm semi-sure it's about the hungarian minority in Romania and the effects of the end of AH in 1918, 115 years ago. Why a semi-literate American locally empowered politician is putting forwards legislation about their language education, it wouldn't appear to be motivated by a common impetus for another's well being.
American law barely apply inside America.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm confused about the rain event in Dubai. Did they just get 60mph winds from the NE?

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Much like Elon talking about "Kruschchev's mistake", I really doubt the phrasing of that amendment came from an American.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shalhavet posted:

Much like Elon talking about "Kruschchev's mistake", I really doubt the phrasing of that amendment came from an American.

Yeah seems weirdly niche for a US Georgian congressperson who probably can't point at the other Georgia on a map to be going to bat for.

Where was the Elon comment from? Haven't heard that one before and wanted to laugh.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

That Works posted:

Yeah seems weirdly niche for a US Georgian congressperson who probably can't point at the other Georgia on a map to be going to bat for.

Where was the Elon comment from? Haven't heard that one before and wanted to laugh.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1576969255031296000

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

I’m gonna bet it’s straight from her fellow Putin thrall and ethno-nationalist Victor Orban.

E: I would believe that some of Ukraine’s post-2014 language laws prioritizing the Ukrainian language (which are the small basis in fact for Russian claims that Russian-speaking Ukrainians were being oppressed) which were aimed at countering Russian influence and media may have some effect on Hungarian speaking minorities. IIRC those laws required only teaching Ukrainian in schools or somethin.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 21, 2024

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I don't think Russia cares whether or not Russia leaving would be the will of the Ukrainian people. This bit of diplomacy isn't a poll left to the people by Elon.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Oh, Russia cares in the sense that anyone that gives a hint they want Russians gone is likely to be disappeared into a torture room or a nameless grave in a nearby forest.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

I don't think Russia cares whether or not Russia leaving would be the will of the Ukrainian people. This bit of diplomacy isn't a poll left to the people by Elon.

Elon thinks he's some sort of power broker rather than the lovely self-deluded tech bro that he is

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Deluded self-imagined power brokers kind of reminds me of Julian "I'm trying to stop two wars!" Assange. Haven't heard from him for a while come to think of it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

Deluded self-imagined power brokers kind of reminds me of Julian "I'm trying to stop two wars!" Assange. Haven't heard from him for a while come to think of it.

His appeal is still under consideration by the UK high court, the court is seeking assurances from the US about due process etc before they say "lol here ya go" and extradite him.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Midjack posted:

His appeal is still under consideration by the UK high court, the court is seeking assurances from the US about due process etc before they say "lol here ya go" and extradite him.

They also wanted assurances that he wouldn't be given the death penalty.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

In other news, 30 year old hate crime song against white american culture "Cotton Eye Joe" by Rednex, is breaking records for popularity. It's is a bit hard to distill exactly what's going on outside of (edit:) 3 Billion new youtube views in 26 days, 1 Billion views in 8 days

https://themusic.com.au/news/cotton-eye-joe-smashes-youtube-record-for-rednex/B961GxodHB8/19-04-24

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 21, 2024

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Jesus I hate that loving song.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We had a local line dance joint that opened in the late 80s and sucked real bad and shared the name of the song when it went big so I always remember: I got a match/Where you wanna go?/Let's go burn/Cotton Eye Joe!

Midjack fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 21, 2024

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
And MTG said today that Johnson either needs to resign, or he will be vacated. I hope it happens.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

psydude posted:

They also wanted assurances that he wouldn't be given the death penalty.

US has given the assurances, UK will review them on May 20.
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/news/u...y-if-extradited

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's either Influencer-generated views, or just a glitch like Discord had that basically self-creates youtube view numbers.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-indu...-gta-6-trailer/

quote:

The clip apparently played in the background of Discord's toast notification, the little pop-up messages that appear at the bottom of your screen for a few seconds to let you know something is happening: You've got email, a Steam friend is playing a new game, or whatever.

Developer and Discord dataminer Marvin Witt (via IGN) said this had the effect of creating a viewbot that simulated literally hundreds of millions of people watching the video.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

It's either Influencer-generated views, or just a glitch like Discord had that basically self-creates youtube view numbers.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-indu...-gta-6-trailer/

Every day I become a little more convinced we live in a cyberpunk dystopia, but not anything cool like in the books more closer to latter generation Hapsburgs of cyberpunk. Just the stupidest most defective possible interpretation of the source material made in to reality.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Every day I become a little more convinced we live in a cyberpunk dystopia, but not anything cool like in the books more closer to latter generation Hapsburgs of cyberpunk. Just the stupidest most defective possible interpretation of the source material made in to reality.

Speaking of latter day Habsburg, this is cyberpunk as gently caress

https://x.com/eduardhabsburg/status/1726496215402197216?s=46

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MonkeyFit posted:

And MTG said today that Johnson either needs to resign, or he will be vacated. I hope it happens.

Literally nobody in Congress cares what she says or does.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Stultus Maximus posted:

Literally nobody in Congress cares what she says or does.

I thought a single member could cause a vote for the motion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Flikken posted:

I thought a single member could cause a vote for the motion?

i thought that was only a condition to get whoever the last guy was in place after a thousand votes