Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Arc Light posted:

FO3 was pretty bad about motivations, but I thought President Eden's plan was fairly clear. Kill two birds with one stone - establish a source of water that's perfectly healthy (for his own people) while also eliminating the various mutated creatures that presumably drink water to survive - super mutants, deathclaws, etc. A bonus for the Enclave if it also kills much of the regular human population, save those born and raised without exposure to radiation. Whole lot easier for the Enclave to rebuild if there's nobody left to fight them. Eden may genuinely not have been aware that the water would be toxic to the PC, if the Enclave didn't know the truth about the PC's heritage/birth.

The Tenpenny Tower bit I think was worse in every way, to the point where it can only have been intentional. iirc, if you convince the residents of the tower to let ghouls in because they aren't feral and they can coexist peacefully, the ghouls subsequently murder the original residents

I'm saying what is the player's motivation from the character other than "I'm evil"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The player wanting a nice house in the case of megaton? Why would the player join Caesar's legion in particular instead of just going House.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

Why would Autumn go along with this?

He wasn't, actually

There's a whole little civil war going on in the Enclave during Fallout 3 that you can piece together if you explore the various little Enclave camps scattered throughout the map and Raven Rock

Eden wants to cleanse the wasteland with the modified FEV, whereas Autumn wanted to use the purifier to help people and be viewed as the saviors

There's camps and checkpoints set up that screen people, and if they pass, they're given fresh water; if not, they're executed

quote:

Mission Directive: Establish and enforce Enclave presence among general populace, disposal of genetic non-compliance offenders.

I. Establish constituency enforcement point at coordinates 39.138 x -77.070. Monitor civilian movement in area, and debrief superior regarding any events of notable significance or regularity.

II. Distribute purified water rations to civilians willing to submit to genetic compliance screening. Participation in screening is compulsory for all civilians, and use of force is authorized in enforcement.

III. Genetic non-compliance offenders should be detained at checkpoint.

IV. To conserve consumption of Enclave resources, detainees should be disposed of by flame only when withholding facility becomes overcrowded, or detainees become unmanageable, whichever comes first.

For extra fun, enemies respawn at their corpses every 72 game hours, so if you drag a bear, scorpion, or deathclaw corpse into a camp and come back later, hilarity ensues

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tankbuster posted:

you can make the ghouls and people coexist by killing the non feral ghoul before leaving.

If you help the ghouls move in but kill Roy, the residents of Tenpenny Tower won't get killed? That sounds like the best resolution to that quest.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Another thing I thought they were going to tie together is why Walton Goggins was doing birthday cowboy shows when the bombs fell. I thought he was going to be blackballed for attending the meeting even if he left early. I'm not sure if that was implied or they're saving the downfall of his career for next season. Obviously he's been radicalized by the end of this season from listening in on the vault tech comically mustache twirling evil meeting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Going to assume Coop goes to his wife and yells at her for killing everyone just to make an extra buck, and she's all "how dare you insult capitalism, you commie red!" and that starts a divorce. She gets him blacklisted from the movies and ads and he's forced to do kids parties to pay the bills. He probably lost that sweet house too.

I hope we get to see post apocalypse versions of the house from the opening, or even coops house.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
One of the guys at the party said he heard rumors he was a commie so his career is probably done at that point.

Something I noticed watching a youtube clip, cooper is wearing the remains of his cowboy costume under his jacket. I don't know if it was real obvious to others in another scene and I am just oblivious though hah

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

twistedmentat posted:

Going to assume Coop goes to his wife and yells at her for killing everyone just to make an extra buck, and she's all "how dare you insult capitalism, you commie red!" and that starts a divorce. She gets him blacklisted from the movies and ads and he's forced to do kids parties to pay the bills. He probably lost that sweet house too.

I hope we get to see post apocalypse versions of the house from the opening, or even coops house.

This opens up the possibility that the first nuclear strike wasn’t China, it was Vault-Tec after all, if Barb was estranged from Coop

And all that horseshit about wanting a better world for her daughter could be even more horseshit if she decides her capitalist dystopia/utopia is worth sacrificing her daughter

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
More love songs playing over horrific scenes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-8mSM35QE5M&

Of course the classic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s4VlruVG81w&t=34s&

Is there an earlier example than Strangelove, or did it invent this type of scene?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
With the hyperinflation of the fallout economy, it makes sense that Coop could still be in the movies and be forced to do Beverly Hills parties on the weekends.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Golden Bee posted:

With the hyperinflation of the fallout economy, it makes sense that Coop could still be in the movies and be forced to do Beverly Hills parties on the weekends.

No it was clear he was a humbled star, forced to do whatever they ask - the husband wants him to do a thumbs up, and we later figure out why he is reticent to do that. That and the heard he’s a commie line show he’s done in the industry. I assumed on first watch it was just that he got old or his meal ticket show canceled, but the rest of the season spells out indirectly how he ended up there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I also laughed that they used I Owe My Soul To The Company Store because it was used by South Park to make fun of Amazon, this show’s distributor

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Golden Bee posted:

Also I bet the Movie stars don't get paid that much in the Fallout 50s.
Coops only friend who showed up to the party said he got paid something like 180 dollars for his voice work on butler robots.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Being set in Los Angeles was great because of course Hollywood stars would be used to market the end of the world

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Issaries posted:

Coops only friend who showed up to the party said he got paid something like 180 dollars for his voice work on butler robots.

180K. Not $180.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It is darkly funny/depressing that they make a joke about being rewarded with health care at the end... and oh wait that's not satire that's just referencing actual real life

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Issaries posted:

What? He got 180k and Coop asked if he got 10 million. This isn’t complicated, he was a huge star and becoming disillusioned with vault-tec led to him being blackballed.

Also it’s 2077, not the 50s - that’s just the aesthetic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Fallout world culturally stalled in the 50s/early 60s. Technology kept going but for some reason the 50s and later 60s cultural revolution (the hippies and rock and roll kind, not the Red Guard killing all the vanguard) just never happened. The growth of teen culture in the 50s stalled, and everyone is just crew cuts and pleats. Everythings A Date With Your Family, its always the Swell Years.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

The player wanting a nice house in the case of megaton? Why would the player join Caesar's legion in particular instead of just going House.

Yeah the player's motivation is "I'm okay killing these people so I can profit". It's not as interesting as a more nuanced decision would be, but I don't think it's necessarily a flaw for an open world rpg to have some Evil options.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Fallout world culturally stalled in the 50s/early 60s. Technology kept going but for some reason the 50s and later 60s cultural revolution (the hippies and rock and roll kind, not the Red Guard killing all the vanguard) just never happened. The growth of teen culture in the 50s stalled, and everyone is just crew cuts and pleats. Everythings A Date With Your Family, its always the Swell Years.

Technically there's rock and roll, but it only got as far as Elvis. No Beatles or anything that came after that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Elvis didn't have enough mids, so they just gave up on new music.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

DaveWoo posted:

Technically there's rock and roll, but it only got as far as Elvis.

And by the time the "wasteland" era rolled around, even his actual name was lost to time. (Hence "the Kings")

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Played about 20 hours of Fallout 4 since finishing the series. The series is far better. I enjoy the gameplay, kinda (i ignore alot of it, crafting bullshit etc), but the problem is the writing is just completely uninteresting. All the interest comes from the world itself, and the writing they provide to propel you along the various stories is just kinda lifeless and bone dry. It feels like a very 'fill this space' kind of writing, where the game wants to give you a 20 minute quest and uh, here's some justification why who cares.

They should get some writers from the show to work on the next Fallout game.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I actually recall it's more complicated than that:

Like there was a cultural regression that caused the 2070s to look like the 50s.

Like if I remember correctly Fallout 1 or 2 even implies things like punk rock existed at some point, but culture regressed as jingoism increased.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

roomtone posted:

Played about 20 hours of Fallout 4 since finishing the series. The series is far better. I enjoy the gameplay, kinda (i ignore alot of it, crafting bullshit etc), but the problem is the writing is just completely uninteresting. All the interest comes from the world itself, and the writing they provide to propel you along the various stories is just kinda lifeless and bone dry. It feels like a very 'fill this space' kind of writing, where the game wants to give you a 20 minute quest and uh, here's some justification why who cares.

Oh my god this^

NV has great writing btw, if you haven't played this

But yeah, I like the gameplay of Fallout 4, but the factions while welcome just feel very...simple, I can't really describe it any other way. There are some FUN story beats I actually really like, but they never go where I want them to go. It's just very disappointing personally.

I heard the DLC Far Harbor was good writing wise, still need to check that out.

Also the lack of fun ammo types like NV and the way they do guns in 4 infuriates me, and the removal of skills and more fun perks is just such rear end. The simplified dialogue tree as well.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

roomtone posted:

Shoulda played New Vegas

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

He wasn't, actually

There's a whole little civil war going on in the Enclave during Fallout 3 that you can piece together if you explore the various little Enclave camps scattered throughout the map and Raven Rock

Eden wants to cleanse the wasteland with the modified FEV, whereas Autumn wanted to use the purifier to help people and be viewed as the saviors

There's camps and checkpoints set up that screen people, and if they pass, they're given fresh water; if not, they're executed

For extra fun, enemies respawn at their corpses every 72 game hours, so if you drag a bear, scorpion, or deathclaw corpse into a camp and come back later, hilarity ensues

I actually forgot about this, fair point

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

twistedmentat posted:

What we know as “the 60s” started ~1963. There’s tiny bits of counterculture in the fallout world, like the drug called Daddy-O that makes you smarter and more charismatic. Barring that and the atom cats aesthetic, it’s Cowboys, sugar cereal and Grognak the barbarian, only $19 per issue.

Edit: I really liked Nuka World because I’m a sucker for theme parks.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 21, 2024

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

I actually recall it's more complicated than that:

Like there was a cultural regression that caused the 2070s to look like the 50s.

Like if I remember correctly Fallout 1 or 2 even implies things like punk rock existed at some point, but culture regressed as jingoism increased.

You’re correct.

The government through censorship and manipulation basically forced the culture of the 60s to trick improvised people (which at this point is most Americans) into thinking that it’s just part of the process of achieving the American dream.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Oh my god this^

NV has great writing btw, if you haven't played this

But yeah, I like the gameplay of Fallout 4, but the factions while welcome just feel very...simple, I can't really describe it any other way. There are some FUN story beats I actually really like, but they never go where I want them to go. It's just very disappointing personally.

I heard the DLC Far Harbor was good writing wise, still need to check that out.

Also the lack of fun ammo types like NV and the way they do guns in 4 infuriates me, and the removal of skills and more fun perks is just such rear end. The simplified dialogue tree as well.

Fallout 4 is really bogged down by the settlement system in my opinion. Also, a little too much of let the player have total freedom to unite the Commonwealth.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Back Hack posted:

The government through censorship and manipulation basically forced the culture of the 60s to trick improvised people (which at this point is most Americans) into thinking that it’s just part of the process of achieving the American dream.

Yes, yes we all know about real life, what about the games?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

Fallout 4 is really bogged down by the settlement system in my opinion. Also, a little too much of let the player have total freedom to unite the Commonwealth.

See, I actually think the Commonwealth as a setting was really interesting. I think the factions were ehhh, that the Railroad in particular was just kinda there, and would have been served better by a different faction.

Like someone said a lot of the writing felt like space filling, and yeah I agree. I think you could have done WAY MORE interesting things with the synths than what vanilla F4 did. I heard Far Harbor gets interesting on that front, nerd to play it at some point.

I did like how they portrayed Maxson and his BOS as the fascist assholes they were, I always choose to save Danse, gently caress that little bloodthirsty shithead.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Steve Yun posted:

I also laughed that they used I Owe My Soul To The Company Store because it was used by South Park to make fun of Amazon, this show’s distributor

if you like that you'll love this real commercial for coal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Issaries posted:

Based on his house in the Hollywood hills I'd say he was probably doing pretty drat well.

The two rich dads in the opening scene speculate that he's been reduced to birthday parties because of alimony payments. I'd say it's safe to say he confronts his wife with what he's learned from spying, she discovers that he got that knowledge by conspiring with what the general populace considers communists and she makes that public in the divorce proceedings, which would cause him to lose pretty much everything in a court case.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Great cartoon overall but the quick sequence with "dividends" as a pile of poo poo produced by a reptilian corporation that feeds on humans and "shareholders" as cockroaches feeding on that pile of poo poo is going to get a lot of mileage.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
as long as we are getting more vaultboy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to see a prewar argument between Vault-Tec execs over why people keep mixing up the Pip-Boy and Vault-Boy mascots.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m reading here and there that Bethesda’s games kinda lost sight of the anti-corporate satire of the first two games. How true is this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Steve Yun posted:

I’m reading here and there that Bethesda’s games kinda lost sight of the anti-corporate satire of the first two games. How true is this?

Not at all true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Extremely untrue. They go all-on on Vault-tec being poo poo, and have multiple direct references to pre-war America being a turbo-capitalist hellscape where corporations could do whatever they wanted (including experimenting on children).