Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The 64GB has a slower internal drive

Thanks, I’m gonna go with the 256 for $40 more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Go for the smaller one and put in a big-rear end SSD, make sure it's an m.2 2230 then look up a guide, it's about a 20 min job.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Go for the smaller one and put in a big-rear end SSD, make sure it's an m.2 2230 then look up a guide, it's about a 20 min job.

I got the 256gb and wish I’d gone this route personally.

I just put a big sd card in there and don’t play 100gb games and it’s Fine but still, the regret is there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

frogbs posted:

Considering picking up a refurbished Steam Deck and can’t decide on 64gb vs 256gb. Is there any speed advantage to going with the larger built in storage vs buying the 64gb and adding a big as card?
The shader cache still takes up space on the main drive, so if you're installing a lot of games the 64GB will fill up pretty quickly even if you stick them on the SD card. The general consensus is that the 64GB Deck is best for people who either only want to use the Deck as an emulation machine or who have the chops to replace the drive themselves.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Commander Keene posted:

The shader cache still takes up space on the main drive, so if you're installing a lot of games the 64GB will fill up pretty quickly even if you stick them on the SD card. The general consensus is that the 64GB Deck is best for people who either only want to use the Deck as an emulation machine or who have the chops to replace the drive themselves.

Replacing the drive is a job I'd give to an enterprising 12 year old with new screwdrivers. Probably the easiest replacement ive done in years.

Get the 64gig, spend the $40 on a 512 or 1tb internal m2 from aliexpress

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The only pitfalls are:

Don’t leave your microsd in when you try to pop the shell open because you will possibly break it and/or send it into orbit

The little silver jacket for the SSD only goes on clearly in one direction so don’t force it just turn the drive over and try again, and it slides cleanly off the existing drive so there’s no need to butcher anything

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The 64GB has a slower internal drive

Didn't people test games loading games it made zero difference? Or maybe that was sd card vs SSD. Really though just swap ssds if you go for the low one. I did on my OG, no regrets.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Suburban Dad posted:

Didn't people test games loading games it made zero difference? Or maybe that was sd card vs SSD. Really though just swap ssds if you go for the low one. I did on my OG, no regrets.

AFAIK there's a small but noticeable difference with the 64GB drive compared to the other internal drives, but no noticeable difference between an SD card and the 256/512 drives.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah the 64gb drives are straight up a cheaper and shittier type of storage than the larger ones rather than just being smaller.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've got to admit, as much as I loved Elden Ring yeah, I would have loving loved at least a basic quest log. If you don't want to give me markers, whatever, but it's a huge sprawling world and I only have time to play it for an hour or two a day. There is a very real risk that I'm going to forget that someone told me eight gameplay hours ago and five real life days ago that I needed to get the mcguffin out of the tower to do whatever the gently caress they wanted.

When I find myself playing your game with some nerd's website open in a secondary monitor yeah, there's some room for improvement.

You’re gonna hate me but I’m glad it doesn’t have that stuff because my stupid anxious brain would start racking up quest test, get choice paralysis and never want to do any of it because I don’t wanna follow checklists in games.

Luckily FROM makes up for the lack of quest tools by making quests a nicety, not a necessity. I just explore around and don’t care what I don’t know I missed

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Isn’t the 64gb version basically just a 64gb microSD card soldered onto a M.2 board?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bugblatter posted:

For anyone else who was interested in No Rest for the Wicked, the devs claim that it would run day one on Deck was only true in the most technical sense. It does boot up, but at the lowest settings with 50% resolution scaling it's still a pretty choppy experience. It can sometimes get into the 30-40fps range, but it more frequently drops to low 20s and occasionally hangs out in the low teens. Looks like a potato with those settings too.

I imagine they'll optimize it better down the line, but the twitter statement was very misleading. Best to wait if you'll only play on Deck.

Thanks for the heads up on this, it looked interesting but I'll definitely wait to see if things improve as far as viability on the Deck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Detective No. 27 posted:

Isn’t the 64gb version basically just a 64gb microSD card soldered onto a M.2 board?

I don't know if it's specifically that, but it is just some crappy flash memory on a board, not an actual SSD like the other versions.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MMC I think, it's the kind of thing you got/get in cheapo laptops. But SSDs even in the smaller form factor are so cheap now that it's a no brainer to just buy the 64GB model and upgrade it yourself unless you want the etched screen, the 256GB model is essentially redundant.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MMC is basically an SD card but it’s socketed in the same M.2 slot as the NVMe drive would be on higher tier decks, so it’s easy to swap it out if you want.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Sometimes the killcam or whatever it’s called chugs really badly during a VATS kill in New Vegas. Do I need to change which Proton version I’m using?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So that new game No Rest For The Wicked has a big patch...

Pretty big...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

Pretty big...

Is it installed on the SD card?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

Is it installed on the SD card?

Oh no, that's on my Desktop nvme drive lol. I just posted it here because y'all had been talking about that game.

(It fixed itself after restarting Steam).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

Oh no, that's on my Desktop nvme drive lol. I just posted it here because y'all had been talking about that game.

(It fixed itself after restarting Steam).

I hadn’t even heard anything about the game till it was posted here lol

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm mostly hoping to use Emudeck on this thing. Can anyone comment on how Saturn games handle the analog stick? I'm mostly interested in how games like Panzer Dragoon II Zwei and Nights into Dreams play with it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Annath posted:

Pretty big...

From the Twitter statement, this one is a big gameplay adjustment, not really a performance patch. They do say that major performance enhancements will come in the future though.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Boar It posted:

By the way is it possible to stream your pc to your deck when outside of the same network? I would suspect it is but question is how awful it is.

Yes, it works just fine, latency permitting. There are a few ways but the one i use is Moonlight (on the Deck side) and Sunshine (on my PC). I use a Wireguard VPN via TunnelDeck so i can talk to my home network from anywhere, but i think most others probably use Tailscale or use Moonlight's own helper tool

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My original charger is perfectly fine, but I want to get another good charging option for my Steam Deck; can anyone recommend to me a good A-to-C charging cable that's preferably 3 metres long? Looking on Amazon I find plenty of high-wattage c-to-c cables, but I have both numerous USB-A wall chargers and a Portable battery that require A-to-C. I have many current A-to-C cables, but they all must be low wattage because they seem to charge very slowly. I don't really want to use C-to-A adapters (built in or loose) because those are tiny and easily lost, but I will if I need to. I simply want a supplemental cable that will allow me to charge my Deck as quickly as the system will allow from either my portable battery or an outlet adapter.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Get a different portable charger the a to c won’t give nearly enough. You need a C-C PD charger.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The issue is as likely to be your wall wart as it is the cables, a generic "usb-a" power supply likely isn't putting out enough current to keep up with the Deck's power draw. Look for something that puts out 45 watts and has Power Delivery.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah you need an appropriately juicy wall plug thing anyway all the old ones everyone has lying around the house from a decade+ of USB device charging are way too low wattage for modern devices.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
That's a shame. I really wanted to be able to use my portable battery when I wasn't near an outlet.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Figured out what I was doing wrong and got SSH working between my Deck and PC, time to download 1000 Stardew mods and get fired IRL.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Yes, it works just fine, latency permitting. There are a few ways but the one i use is Moonlight (on the Deck side) and Sunshine (on my PC). I use a Wireguard VPN via TunnelDeck so i can talk to my home network from anywhere, but i think most others probably use Tailscale or use Moonlight's own helper tool

Ah cool. I'll definitely give that a look once I get my deck. Thanks!

I'm also wondering how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to apply a dbrand skin. Looking at their instructional video it doesn't seem too bad but these things always look easy in the videos and then you are tearing your hair out because it won't work out the way it should. Also they are very expensive.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Every device skin ever created is an exercise in pain and frustration to apply, it’s just part of the process.

Those who know better use a hairdryer to soften it up and get it into place, and those who know even better than that just don’t bother in the first place because life is stressful enough.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

History Comes Inside! posted:

Every device skin ever created is an exercise in pain and frustration to apply, it’s just part of the process.

Those who know better use a hairdryer to soften it up and get it into place, and those who know even better than that just don’t bother in the first place because life is stressful enough.

Hah yeah that sounds about right. I wanted it just for some extra protection without going for a full case, but the skins don't actually protect the back side of the grips, which would be the main part I want to actually cover. With it being the parts you touch the most and the most likely to rest on various surfaces. Given how repairable the steam deck is I guess it is easier to just.. get a new back/front plate if needed as they get scuffed over time since they don't seem to cost a lot. :shrug:

Edit:

I guess you won't be replacing the front without a full disassembly but that is less likely to wear anyways.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 21, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I put a skin on, can't remember if it's dbrand, and it was fine, just line everything up before you stick it down properly and don't forget the hairdryer.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

You put skins on your hairdryer?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

USB-A cannot charge the steam deck, full stop. The deck uses 15v for charging, which USB-A cannot provide in-spec. Even if it could, it's not until you get to some manufacturer-specific extensions (aka not actual standards) that you get one that has the wattage to even appreciably slow the discharge speed of the steam deck.

Get a USB-C power bank with some big batteries in it, it will be able to charge your phone/laptop/steam deck/whatever else for the next decade, USB-A is reaching its end of usefulness for actual electronics charging purposes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

excuse the dumb question im computer illiterate

when a game asks me to run 32 bit or 64 bit which one should I choose? (id ask what they mean too if its a simple explanation ik this isnt a computer thread)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ty!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kvlt! posted:

excuse the dumb question im computer illiterate

when a game asks me to run 32 bit or 64 bit which one should I choose? (id ask what they mean too if its a simple explanation ik this isnt a computer thread)

What kind of game is it? If it's a simpler game that doesn't load a lot of game assets it probably doesn't matter. If it's a hardware intensive 3D game, probably better to do 64 bit. 32 bit vs 64 bit can mean several things, but the gist of it is how much memory can the program access. A 32 bit program can only access around 3GB of memory, whereas a 64 bit program can access much more. More memory = more things in the game can be loaded at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of game is it? If it's a simpler game that doesn't load a lot of game assets it probably doesn't matter. If it's a hardware intensive 3D game, probably better to do 64 bit. 32 bit vs 64 bit can mean several things, but the gist of it is how much memory can the program access. A 32 bit program can only access around 3GB of memory, whereas a 64 bit program can access much more. More memory = more things in the game can be loaded at once.

its Train Simulator classic, I loaded it up on 64 and it worked great!

would the advantage of using 32 vs 64 just be battery life, is that why it would sometomes be better at 32?

also thank you!!