Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I do kind of miss the Spotify suggested algorithm. WFMU and Aquarium Drunkard and Soma FM work pretty well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Popy posted:

george clooney was ascendant during that time

oh yeah he was p huge then too, good call

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

This is a legitimately good scene in a non-irony poisoned way and I’m tired of pretending it’s not.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

galagazombie posted:

This is a legitimately good scene in a non-irony poisoned way and I’m tired of pretending it’s not.

it's a good movie

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Popy posted:

george clooney was ascendant during that time (2000-2010ish)

not bad for a featured extra on Rosanne, if only Wings Hauser saw such heights :(

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Xaris posted:

i have a soft spot for AB even though it's definitely up it's own rear end but I also think its get a little too overly panned by the... "movie smart" internet critic these days.

I think Lester is supposed to be complicated, and obviously the movie does not expect you to identify pedophilic (sorry, ephebophillic)-tendency guy as The Good Guy. a lot of adults are rather trying to infantlize themselves though, or rather, a second chance at their youth. I don't think he so much was craving to bone down on a 17 year old so much as it being a desire to start young, anew. much of the movie is about desire. from the kids desiring to be respected adults, to the adults desiring a second start from the beginning/youth

the plastic bag poo poo was dumb though

that plastic bag poo poo was dumb and the Ricky is very idealized... but I did think it kind of taps into that energy you have when you're young, not weighed down with responsibilities and consciousness and the chemicals in your brain haven't balanced themselves yet. That kind of feeling can make a plastic bag floating around you feel beautiful, and it shows me what Lester is seeking. He really goes about that the wrong way though. When his life ends he's even more isolated from Jane, who he actually does seem care about. Maybe Jane will remember him well and understand what he was dealing with one day but he came off a self-indulgent creep for the last year of his life when he committed to his "least ammount of responsibility possible, jack off whenever I want" lifestyle. Probably should have just got a divorce and focused on trying to make his life as it currently was more authentic instead of trying to regress into his early 20s.

It's a good complicated movie, part of me wants to find the writer and grab him and ask him to definitively tell me what he thought of these characters while writing them because they are pretty hosed up and it's hard to figure out if he thinks Ricky is a pretentious kid or the Sidartha of the suburbs. I guess that's a sign of good complicated story though so mission accomplished I give it a very solid 8/10.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

galagazombie posted:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

very disappointed this isnt a song about seventeenth century japan

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's a good movie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the milk machine posted:

it's true, nobody made a blue sweater before fashion designers discovered the color in the mid 2000s

sure we had blue sweaters before capitalism but we didnt have blue sweaters that were produced in an overly complicated way and thats why the soviet union couldnt compete with us

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I rewatched black narcissus last night. i'm a huge fan of movies about a group of women having collective trauma meltdowns/going insane, and black narcissus is probably top five in that category. really beautiful visually as well

despite the movie still being entangled in imperial attitudes, i liked some of the subtle commentary. like why are they teaching illiterate children in the himalayas about warships instead of more useful things? and they're not even the ones doing it, it's a kid they found who knows english teaching them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fighting Elegy posted:

It's a good complicated movie, part of me wants to find the writer and grab him and ask him to definitively tell me what he thought of these characters while writing them because they are pretty hosed up and it's hard to figure out if he thinks Ricky is a pretentious kid or the Sidartha of the suburbs. I guess that's a sign of good complicated story though so mission accomplished I give it a very solid 8/10.
I think Mendes et al did intend for Ricky to be pretentious and the plastic bag was supposed to be cringe to us, the audience; however, he's also very clearly a sheltered repressed teen and trying to find meaning in their respective isolated alienated environments, and that's OK. after all, his dad is chris cooper, that's going to lead toward weird pretentious stuff. Likewise Lester is very much supposed to be rather pathetic creep, but still deserving of sympathy because he also can't move on from his life and accept the graceful passage of time and move on from clear mistakes. i think they're rather bluntly written as you see them, which was the intent, there isn't a whole lot of subtley to the film. or if there is subtley, it's subtley through its bluntness. what we see is actually what we get.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Gunna echo other posters on American Beauty--I reckon the characters were meant to be presented plainly with their flaws. They're humanized realistically enough to be sympathetic, with clear cause and effect for why they make weird or horrible choices.

The writer for American Beauty, Alan Ball, also created HBO's Six Feet Under. That also explored deeply flawed characters, but it created a believable environment that made it to relate to the cast even when they were being idiots. You could root for Nate Fisher despite him always being a non-committal screwup with flimsy ideals.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i decided to put it on just cuz its been like 15 years since i saw it and lmao i'm getting close to the same age as lester whose 42

gently caress

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

nice obelisk idiot posted:

I rewatched black narcissus last night. i'm a huge fan of movies about a group of women having collective trauma meltdowns/going insane, and black narcissus is probably top five in that category. really beautiful visually as well

despite the movie still being entangled in imperial attitudes, i liked some of the subtle commentary. like why are they teaching illiterate children in the himalayas about warships instead of more useful things? and they're not even the ones doing it, it's a kid they found who knows english teaching them

the archers are extremely ftw. ive recently rewatched A Matter of Life and Death and The Red Shoes and their color photography stands alone. i gotta rewatch BN now

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

It does feel we're at a nadir of something that one celebrity takes up so much cultural landscape. We used to have a dozen Taylor Swifts fighting for cross generational relevancy at a time.

She's not even close to Michael Jackson, the guy who couldn't go to NBA games because he was too famous.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

i decided to put it on just cuz its been like 15 years since i saw it and lmao i'm getting close to the same age as lester whose 42

gently caress
lifting weights because of a slipped disc and smoking weed because of tummy problems is about as close as I can get here

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

nice obelisk idiot posted:

such a beautiful movie, visually and otherwise

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

ArmedZombie posted:

such a beautiful movie, visually and otherwise
yeah. i really like the positioning of them in between the worldliness of mr dean and normal life down in the valley, and the resolute, literally immovable holy man who is functionally useless. they're geographically up there with the holy man, but they're being torn apart in between those two worlds, like trying to have their cake and eating it too. I might track down the Rumer Godden book to see how those themes work more explicitly, it's right up my alley

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

galagazombie posted:

elvis was a great movie. Also loling that austin butler is really good at voices.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the archers are extremely ftw. ive recently rewatched A Matter of Life and Death and The Red Shoes and their color photography stands alone. i gotta rewatch BN now

the performance/dream portion of red shoes is astounding, all timer of a movie to me.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

A Matter of Life and Death

the story in that one is really weird lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Shageletic posted:

The thing I like the most about T Swift is that it's one fo the last cultural things that you can shoot the poo poo about with people that are very different from you. Like just chatting with a bunch of white women or a kid or whatever they all got their views on it. I think that's cool.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like the cult of celebrity is one of those things that the 00s took to the breaking point and without even noticing suddenly it's something no one can bring themselves to care about anymore unless there's personal investment and appeal.

Either that or Donald Trump is the one occupying all that space now.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i care about all my celebrity friends

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i only care about v tubers

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I saw Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein on Friday, and asked them a question about cartoons, and fellas? My cartoon TV celebrity friends were very nice to me.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I'd like to see Elvis doing the harkonnen chant

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

BONGHITZ posted:

i only care about v tubers

(presses panic button underneath desk) go on

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they're better than us

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they're better than us

Yes. I am scum.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

worth noting that Spektor speaks like 3-4 languages Fluently and lived in America since the age of 9 and speaks without an accent so... it's very much a strange fantasy

where did the story come from i saw a user here once with avatar text for the listen honey quote but i didnt know what it was from until just now

or is the listen honey quote itself originally from something else entirely

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The plastic bag scene happened to the writer in real life, and he thought it was important to include it. Middle-aged guy hates his life and decides loving a young girl will solve all his problems has been done to death and the director personally filmed the underage nude scene with a camcorder.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

where did the story come from i saw a user here once with avatar text for the listen honey quote but i didnt know what it was from until just now

or is the listen honey quote itself originally from something else entirely

The OG was a poster here claiming he banged Regina in 2001 so far as I know

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ArmedZombie posted:

I'd like to see Elvis doing the harkonnen chant

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Where's the hamburger Dune chant tweet?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

the Makaya McCraven Gil Scott-Heron album is on Spotify and its very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-z-yxsZCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqjpnpkKJY

is this the whitey on the moon guy i love that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

I forgot to cancel my Apple TV trial. I also forgot to watch anything during the trial. now that I’ve spent money I’m determined to watch at least $10 worth of garbage. what is worth watching?

severance is at least ten dollars worth of garbage for sure

tehran is a pretty good le carre style spy thriller if you like that kind of thing but be warned that the second season (the one financed by apple and not israeli tv) is incredibly idiotic